Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In App Subscriptions (IOS)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Graham wrote: »
    I thought it had always been the case that anything consumed in app (i.e. Digital Goods) could only be sold in the app using IAP.

Did I miss something or isn't that what IITYWYBMAD's app is doing?

EXACTLY....that is why when someone asked earlier that wasn't it easy to figure.....no it isn't based on this case....

Maybe he can explain to us exactly what Apple told him in regards to allowing it....

Taking what your saying....digital goods within the app.....does that mean tickets for game and team memberships would be allowed too??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Taking what your saying....digital goods within the app.....does that mean tickets for game and team memberships would be allowed too??

My understading:

Tickets for attending a game (in real life) could not use IAP. The app could use a 3rd party payment processor e.g. Paypal/Stripe.

Tickets to attend a virtual game through an app (pay per view style) must use IAP when sold within the app.

Purchases of a digital publication must use IAP when sold within the app but it's ok to separately sell access to the same digital publication through a website and later give the purchaser access to the same digital publication via the app at no additional charge.

If it's digital and is sold through the App it must use IAP. You cannot link the App to a payment page on your website. That doesn't mean you can't use your website to accept payment for access to content via the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Graham is correct, and in the strictest sense, Apple see their IAP in that manner. The issue they had with our approach is that there were essentially 2 different sub models:

1) Pure digital content (no brainer go with IAP)
    2) Mix of Digital and Real World in a single sub (This caused them, and our client, an issue)

The issue with number 2 is that Apple had no real control over the secondary non-digital content and our client was not happy about giving Apple 30% of what was essentially a "real world" sub.

The compromise (if you can call it that) was to go down the IAP route, with no current selling of real world subs, but an assurance from Apple that they will review this.

The client currently allows a number of sub types, and we have built an API which will notify us of the sub user type and deliver content in that fashion should a sub be purchased through the App.

I'd hope that some day soon Apple will allow us to have a split sub type, as that seems to be the fairest approach to this type of conundrum.

Advertisement