Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandymount Night Run 5K/10K Tuesday 4th March 2015

Options
  • 04-03-2015 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Anyone do this last night?
    I thought it was a good course, good location. It didn't rain, and nice moonlight over the bay with the tide out. Some of sand near the Irishtown end of the beach was a bit soft for running.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SliM Dedalus

Ran this last night too. First sub-50 10k so pretty pleased with that!

Nice flat course but the sand was a little soft and heavy on the legs in parts. Still, nice to have an organised mid week event to break up the training.

Also, a little advice needed from seasoned marathon runners.

Running my 3rd full in Belfast in May. I was planning on going for a 4:15 finish - purely because my pb is 4:28 and I want to work towards a sub 4 eventually.

Online calculators are suggesting that the sub 4 is well within my reach already, however.

Should I just bag the 4:15 and get sub 4 later?

Running in 1/2 in Mullingar on Paddy's day. Realistically, what should I aim for to test whether sub 4 is a possibility in May?

Any advice appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Running in 1/2 in Mullingar on Paddy's day. Realistically, what should I aim for to test whether sub 4 is a possibility in May?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I ran the 5k last night. Good course and well organised but some of the sand was a killer. I got a time of 22.01

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Ran the 10k last night. Beat my PB, was thrilled!
    (Despite having to stop to tie my laces and nearly falling on my face in a sandhole at one point!)

Really enjoyed it. Would love a night run race series. it really is nice to have an event mid week after work.

Volunteers were fantastic so kudos to them!

Only complaint really is that parts of the course were too narrow/tight/dangerous. The start was a bit crowded too. I think if you are running VERY slowly, you should try and keep to one side for safety if anything. It's very hard to run around these people and wastes time. If I'm having a bad run I always keep to one side so I don't interrupt other people.

Couple of sand holes I didn't see in the dark and nearly twisted my ankle at one point! Some areas had really soft sand and it was difficult to get through but luckily it was minimal. Knew what I was doing on the second loop though!

Advertisement