Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my gas bill / units so high? Gas leak?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Do the 2 rads upstairs only come on when your rads come on,or are the on an independent timer(or were they on 24/7!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

vandriver wrote: »
    Do the 2 rads upstairs only come on when your rads come on,or are the on an independent timer(or were they on 24/7!)

OP already mentioned that they're on a different boiler.
    My heating/ hot water is run from my house, so eg I can switch it on/ off set timer etc.

The apt upstairs has a seperate system to switch on/off the gas heating and water.

However both are run off of the same meter.

Conceivably the rads upstairs were run a lot longer than OP was using the heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

My heating/ hot water is run from my house, so eg I can switch it on/ off set timer etc.

The apt upstairs has a seperate system to switch on/off the gas heating and water.

However both are run off of the same meter.

Two systems run through the same meter? That's crazy. It means you can never know how much you are using and how much the other unit is using. They need to be metered separately.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bored.ie.ie

Just found out that technically I am not even a tenant as she has a flat upstairs so apparently I am a Leaseholder (Lodger) and have less rights than a tenant.

Im going in with the counter offer anyway lads, wish me luck!

My suggestion is this, I will pay the same as i did last bill. Although I know that I have used less GAS due to economising over the last two months I think this will be the easiest option, as there is technically no way of proving who used what,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just found out that technically I am not even a tenant as she has a flat upstairs so apparently I am a Leaseholder (Lodger) and have less rights than a tenant.
    There are legal differences between licence and lease and from the sounds of it you're a regular tenant. You have your own areas, kitchen, bathroom etc, right? It would be different if you just had your own room in their house. It sounds like the landlord doesn't even live in their own apartment for the most part. Don't let her sell you this line when she's trying to get out of legal obligations.

• Advertisement

She's pulling out all the tricks now.

Unfortunately that was Threshold that told me that not her! :(

I have to check my Contract when I get home to see what it says, if it says tenant then Im fine but if not I just have to negotiate on my own, when I spoke to threshold (a private company that gives free advice on tenancy law etc for those not in Ire) she said that as the landlord has a residence upstairs that she reserves for herself technically im a licencee

Pain in my arse, this whole thing has been the biggest headache.

Iv offered 300 which is only 15 euro less than my last bill, during the last period I was home for two weeks so I think that its more than fair

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Unfortunately that was Threshold that told me that not her! :(

I have to check my Contract when I get home to see what it says, if it says tenant then Im fine but if not I just have to negotiate on my own, when I spoke to threshold (a private company that gives free advice on tenancy law etc for those not in Ire) she said that as the landlord has a residence upstairs that she reserves for herself technically im a licencee
    What's your contract is called has no bearing on the type of tenancy, it's really for the PRTB to decide if it ever came to it. Threshold person might have just heard 'living with landlord' and assumed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I too have got advice from threshold what wasn't true. They told me I wasn't entitled to a deposit back as I didn't give notice that I was leaving at the end of my fixed term lease

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

If there are two separate flats, with their own front door then you are not living with your landlord as a licensee.

You need to insist that there is a gas meter for each property. Even €300 for a one-bed flat is very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

OP, I think you have not absorbed the advice you were given in the thread. Did you see the bill before you offered 300 euro.? Would you like to live with me? (Ha Ha).

BabySlam wrote: »
    OP, I think you have not absorbed the advice you were given in the thread. Did you see the bill before you offered 300 euro.? Would you like to live with me? (Ha Ha).

We still don't know if the bill is in the landlord's name or what. OP has said he sends the meter readings to the landlord but hasn't expanded on the bills or account.

Considering both apartments are under the same meter, it's likely the landlord is still the named account holder and the OP is just feeding meter readings to her. Also, it means the landlord isn't paying anything to the standing charge (if OP is paying the full amount of the bill).

I wouldn't accept this situation and wouldn't accept a compromise of 300 either, it's clearly much higher than it should have been. At least half of the bill (probably more) is the landlord's responsibility, since we can't determine what the cost actually is, half seems fair. The new meter should be installed asap, and any accruing cost in the meantime should also be split 50/50.

Hi Guys,

I did say previously that the bill is in her name and that I read the meter and send her a pic of the meter on the 1st of each month. Bills are calculated on the units used etc, usually they are correct.

The LL has stated that it is run on one boiler so the 2/7 is fair as her rads were on the same as when mine are "i am not negotiating further in this" was her closing comment.

im happy to pay 300 to get this dealt with, on the condition she gets another meter upstairs.

I am a tenant as I have found my contract - there are a couple of choices here I can take her to the PTRB/ Small Claims court but I really have my own life and dont want the hassle to be honest. Its a waste of energy

I will be looking for another place to live but unfortunately there is zero available right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

If I were you I would be upping sticks and finding somewhere else to live. This does not sound like the kind of bother, place or landlord I would want to be dealing with.

agreed, although I would love nothing more than no more hassle from this train wreck of a LL there is nothing currently available

I have to put up and shut up for the time being unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

agreed, although I would love nothing more than no more hassle from this train wreck of a LL there is nothing currently available

I have to put up and shut up for the time being unfortunately

You don't though. LL has admitted liability to the heating being left on upstairs. I'd be offering 200 and only that until a new meter is installed. You shouldn't accept this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Op, if it's in her name then you don't need to pay it.

What you should do is pay a portion of the bill that is proportionally to the SW foot of the building.

So if you have 600 sq ft and the house is 2400, then pay 25%

I have gone ahead and paid what I think is fair.

There is just a 90 Euro short fall, if she wants to crib over that then shes a fool

Plumber round last night adv the boiler SERIOUSLY needs a service, the thermostat was in the wrong place the pressure was at Zero and he was even surprised it was working, he said this would all contribute to the units being so high.

Even so he still doesnt think the units are correct. 530 for two months in a one bed flat with 5 rads. I think not!!

Advertisement