Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stuck bottom bracket

• 04-03-2015 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Trying to remove my fas gossamer srm crankset from one bike to another however it appears to be stuck in the bb. Won't budge with the belt of a hammer. Fitted in without issue. Any advice or tips on how to convince it to move ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So presumably you have loosened whatever bolts are on the non-drive side, and opened any clips on that side (only familiar with Shimano myself)? Have you managed to remove the non-drive side?

Belt of a hammer on the end of the spindle really is the best thing. Just make sure you put a block of wood between the hammer and the crank spindle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Swapped an ISIS splined threaded FSA BB over Christmas, which took a lot of effort. Large vice grips attached to the ISIS connector, with a rapid series of small hammer taps to get it moving. Non drive side first followed by drive side, and plenty of colourful language en-route. Make sure you get the thread direction right, I ended up tightening before loosening at first by mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭cython

smacl wrote: »
    Swapped an ISIS splined threaded FSA BB over Christmas, which took a lot of effort. Large vice grips attached to the ISIS connector, with a rapid series of small hammer taps to get it moving. Non drive side first followed by drive side, and plenty of colourful language en-route. Make sure you get the thread direction right, I ended up tightening before loosening at first by mistake.

OP hasn't gotten as far as removing a BB yet......

Like seamus I only have experience of the Shimano version of these things, but have generally found a carefully applied rubber headed mallet good for removing/reinstalling snug-fitting cranksets with external bearings, once the pinch bolts, etc. have been correctly loosened, which I'm assuming they have if you have the non-drive side arm off? Utilised this approach only earlier this week with a snug fitting crankset after replacing a knackered BB actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

To explain further.

The bike has a press fit BB.
    It originally had Sram Red22 cranks.
    bryangiggsy wanted to put his Gossamer cranks on bike. These cranks were on a bike, with external BB.The axle on the gossamer is longer than the axle on the Sram, So, we used adaptors, which we put into the press fit BB, then installed the Gossamer cranks. There were no issues.
    Now, we have removed the non-drive side crank. The axle won't budge.
    We have tried using a rubber mallet, hitting the axle with as much force, as we felt comfortable with. No joy.
    I put penetrating oil on the axle, allowed it to stew overnight. I tried again with the mallet this morning, still no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

I have freezy stuff at home if you are stuck Eamonnator/bryangiggsy - instead of heating whatever is stuck to expand it, it contracts it to break whatever seal. I have used it on corroded motorbike parts and with some tooing and foring have been able to remove otherwise seized bolts. (Steel bols in aluminium with salt and regular road grime is a special kind of stuck :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Sorted!

Don't tell bryangiggsy, but I got out the BIG hammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭cython

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Sorted!

Don't tell bryangiggsy, but I got out the BIG hammer.
    Pic of Eamonnator in action :pac:
    l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Thanks guys for all the replies !!

Advertisement