Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urninary Infection

• 04-03-2015 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone had experience with this.My cat seems to have developed one. And its all good. Took him to the vet the first time it happened got tablets and food, second time it happened same thing, now the vet was out of the dry food so I got the wet and gave him a little of the old food and tis back again.

I gave him some brown rice last night and he loved it. I used to feed him on chicken and rice before and just wondering rather than getting the Royal Canine urinary food would this be just as good. I think it is the salt intake and what type or food he eats rather than stress or anything.. What would ye think thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

One of our cats had sporadic urinary tract infections for a few months after he arrived. Our vet put it down to stress and he had antibiotics as well as painkillers. The vet never mentioned anything about food though. Our cats are fed both wet and dry food. We got a drinking fountain for the cats and since then he hasn't had any more UTI's, it's been about a year now. I could be wrong but I doubt food is the issue.

We feed Bozita tinned wet food and Royal Canin Calm dry food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hi pumpkinseeds, yeah I don't know there is just something niggling at me saying it is the food.

It was weird as the min I changed back to the reg Supervalue brand dry food it was back within a couple of days, but yet a month of eating the urinary food and he was fine. He even turned his nose up at the dry food, he wasn't impressed at all when I gave the reg stuff back to him..

The vet when we took him in the first time gave him the tablets and injection and the food, and the next time it was the same thing. So I just think it is very coincidental. I cant say his under stress,the first time he had a reason as such as we had gone away and I have taken him to my parents house. But recently there is nothing to say anything is putting him out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Hi, we had a cat that this happened to before. Got a uti, brought to vet, given antibiotics etc, few weeks / months happened again so he suggested a dry food, and since we have changed, the cat has been perfectly healthy, and likes the food. Sometimes she will eat a little of the other cats "normal" food if it is left out, more because she is a hoover and always eating, and it doesn't cause her any harm but we try always give her the dry food if we can. We have a bowl of water out for her always too, actually its kept near the stove so its slightly warm and she drinks away on that when it suits her.

It might be worth trying a different brand of food, just to see if it's the Supervalue one that's causing the problem. I preferred feeding our a high protein dry food like Orijen but there were a lot of fights for a long while when we introduced 2 new cats, so we switched to the RC Calm. Tbh, I don't really rate RC foods but the Calm stopped most of the fighting so we keep our cats on that.

A lot of cat food, wet and dry, that you get in supermarkets only has about 4% meat/fish/poultry in it, where as something like the Bozita tins is very high in protein, is human grade and costs less than a tenner for 6 cans. Our 4 would only go through about a can and a half a day between them and it's very moist, like very soft pate, so there's plenty of moisture in it. It might be worth a try. UTI's are horrible, Toby used to spray blood and be really upset when he had them, we could always tell by the tone of his meow that he had one, before we saw the blood in his urine. I hope it gets resolved soon. :)

Yeah that is what I was thinking you see. I have checked out the supervalue stuff and in fairness it is good as they go. I know whiskers and those ones he would be lets say a bit smelly on them so I avoid. It is just to be hones the Royal is €18.99 for the dry bag and €13.99 for the sachets and I just cant afford that at the moment... Trying to save..

I don't recognise this Bozita brand but I shall google it.. Thank you so much.. He does seem to like the brown rice so maybe ill just go with that for now... It is such a pain on both sides I feel sorry for him but then im allergic when it comes back...

• Advertisement

Just looking there and the UK is showing where do you get this Bozita range from then

Sorry I just found it on Zooplus.. Do you have a particular one you give your chaps..haha what does toby like :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Milly33 wrote: »
    Just looking there and the UK is showing where do you get this Bozita range from then
    www.zooplus.ie and you can get a further 5% discount on top for 5EUR for a year.

Sorry I just found it on Zooplus.. Do you have a particular one you give your chaps..haha what does toby like :)

Toby is a big black and white chap, a bit dopy but adorable:) Our cats love the tins of salmon Bozita, they tolerate the chicken one but they didn't like the prawn or beef. I tried the tetra packs of the Bozita and they didn't like those at all.

thank you to all for the information. I am more adamant now it has to do with the food poor chap.. His her snuggled up to me his very warm but a bit better today me thinks... Weird as I was feeding him this stuff all along before he got the infection and he was fine..

Will try zooplus tomorrow cus as I say I really cant afford the other stuff... Mr Toy sounds loverly sure aren't they aa lll cute just a little frustrating sometimes.. Mr banksy hopefully will be better soon..ill let ye know how it goes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

thank you to all for the information. I am more adamant now it has to do with the food poor chap.. His her snuggled up to me his very warm but a bit better today me thinks... Weird as I was feeding him this stuff all along before he got the infection and he was fine..

Will try zooplus tomorrow cus as I say I really cant afford the other stuff... Mr Toy sounds loverly sure aren't they aa lll cute just a little frustrating sometimes.. Mr banksy hopefully will be better soon..ill let ye know how it goes..

Some cats are prone to urinary crystals and stones forming in the bladder.these are often an underlying cause of recurrant utis in cats if stress has been ruled out as the main cause.a urine sample taken in the vets would help rule them out.if stones are found i believe hills are doing free analysis at the minute to tell you what sort of stone it is and gow best they can be treated.

They are caused by an ph balance(to acidic or to basic pee leads to stones forming)issue in the bladders itself and can be caused by some foods(gorging on dreamies has been a trigger for my last 2 patients)they can also be sorted by feeding special food that change the ph balance in the pee in the bladder.

Its most common in middle aged fat neutered toms.

thank you again perhaps this would be a good idea to do.. It is defo not stress as really nothing has changed except the food.. he seems to be better now but still not perfect but happier the last few days..... I might get onto the vet maybe and ask him to do this test...

Just an update after the week of feeding him rice well and the wet food he seems to be much happiers. Stopped peeing blood within a day of it.. Just got my parcel from Zoo Plus looking forward to trying him out on it now will let ye know how goes

Have to come back to update and say thanks to all especially Pumpkinseeds.. The last time he got the infection back I stopped with the dry food (it was the supervalue brand but he used to be fine with this all along) anywho gave him the brown rice and wet food the special stuff, but I just could not afford to keep up with the Royal Canine food.

Anywho Pumpkinseeds suggested the Bozita and it is like he is a different cat. Fine he can still be an ass but jes he slept like a log for the first week on it, calmed him down drastically, and no sign of his infection back. I used up what royal canine I had with the bozita dry food and he was fine, and got some of the tins which he is on the last few days and he loves it..It is real meaty food and doesn't smell which is great. All is well anywho with Mr. B so we are all happy, all the help was kindly appreciated thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭cmssjone

I find that you are better off buying decent food for your pets. It seems more expensive at the time, but in the long term it is cheaper than paying for multiple vet trips and treatments. We had our dog on Orijen, moved him to a slightly cheaper brand and he developed a UTI straight away. Once we moved him back to Orijen a few months later, his health improved and he has not been happier. Food has a massive bearing on the health of humans and I am convinced this is the case for animals. Try to avoid anything with derivatives in it if you can. Glad to hear your cat is feeling much better!

I most defiantly agree with you. I was just thinking jes I know I cant handle too much salty food or crap food really so imagine the poor animals when they as such cant tell you..

I used to feed him, boiled Chicken and rice and then as he got a bit older, I moved to the more convenient foods. But it was the Supervale or Purina I had him on. He was fine with this for about a year..

Defiantly better off getting the better food or going back to natural chicken and rice or something like this. The only killer was the vet food was too pricey for me but Zoo Plus is great defiantly have a few bargins on it. We have a dog too so we are just planning on ordering every now and again to get both their food and that way you get the free shipping and it doesn't cost anything more than it would normally

Have to come back to update and say thanks to all especially Pumpkinseeds.. The last time he got the infection back I stopped with the dry food (it was the supervalue brand but he used to be fine with this all along) anywho gave him the brown rice and wet food the special stuff, but I just could not afford to keep up with the Royal Canine food.

Anywho Pumpkinseeds suggested the Bozita and it is like he is a different cat. Fine he can still be an ass but jes he slept like a log for the first week on it, calmed him down drastically, and no sign of his infection back. I used up what royal canine I had with the bozita dry food and he was fine, and got some of the tins which he is on the last few days and he loves it..It is real meaty food and doesn't smell which is great. All is well anywho with Mr. B so we are all happy, all the help was kindly appreciated thank you
    :) Ahh, I'm delighted he's doing well, and the Bozita works out so much cheaper and is such a superior quality food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I've had the same problem with 2 of ours, and since going to grain free wet and dry food (bozita and applaws mostly) we have had no problems in a couple of years. I add a little water to the bozita and mine love it, I also got a water fountain.
    Use google chrome and go to German zooplus site and you will get food even cheaper ;)
    Cats also have great coats and are much more lively (and slimmer) on the grain free.

Thanks for that tip mymo great to know.. I must say I am well impressed with the food. he does seem more gone on the wet food to the dry alright..I was worried thinking it is very meaty (well not worried but I don't want to have a fat cat) I might try adding a little water to it maybe.

Advertisement