Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OlliOlli 2

Options
  • 04-03-2015 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭

I never played the first one but the 2nd one is out today and is free for PS+ members. I only played a few levels so far but already I imagine it to be literally the same as crack...

It is absolutely brilliant and I spent way to long on the first 2 levels just to get the all challenges and then going back to get that particular grind a bit better. Gonna give it a proper lash tonight but already I can see this being Sport(?) game of the year.

5 minute doc about the making of is well worth the watch as well to get a taste of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I don't know why I keep doing it but every so often I press triangle thinking I'm about to do a trick!

Anyway the game is as addictive as ever. The first pro level is already ridiculously tough... I don't remember it being as hard initially in OlliOlli. So I think I'll do all the amateur levels and then move on to Pro.

Anyway, it's a brilliant game. So happy to get it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I went downstairs to boil the kettle. So I went into the sitting room and turned the PS4 on to check my downloads while I waited.

There was OlliOlli2, so I said I'll try it for 2 minutes then go make my cup of tea......

I had to boil the kettle a second time............

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Dumb question but does this have Cross Save? Is it worth playing on PS4 or is it just more of a Vita title (recently converted vita user her clearly)

Cormac... wrote: »
    Dumb question but does this have Cross Save? Is it worth playing on PS4 or is it just more of a Vita title (recently converted vita user her clearly)

For me it's a vita game. I'm not sure on the cross save etc but I'm assuming it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I saw devs say it was cross save alright. I don't have a Vita and loving it on PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

wait, is olliolli also for ps4? i thought its only oddworld and valiant hearts this month.

Devs Roll7 doing a Reddit AMA at 3pm GMT for anyone interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

murfilein wrote: »
    wait, is olliolli also for ps4? i thought its only oddworld and valiant hearts this month.

Olliolli 2 and Counterspy are also available

DarkJager wrote: »
    Olliolli 2 and Counterspy are also available

iBIFHBl.png

if you know what i mean...

Ah feck sake! Practicing the daily grind, getting a stay 200k. The winning score is 800k, dunno how they did that. Anyway, tried the real the tall thing and got a whopping 475. Disgusted with myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Related, but OlliOlli is out for 3DS and WiiU today. Buy one, get the other free.

Still buying this though.... :)

Alright, so I learned how to do manuals and went back to the 1st level.....Have to say I'm fairly chuffed with myself :pac:

341044.jpg

Never saved the vid but tried again and got 1.4 mil that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Download completed, stick it on for 15 minutes before bed I said to myself...

1 hour later.... :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You almost need to enter a zen like state when you're playing this game. Otherwise the involuntary brain knots will destroy you. When the game demands actual accuracy to pick up items and the like, I find that's when my fingers start freaking the **** out.

It's from the THPS2 school of sequels (and not just because it's a skateboarding game that introduces manuals :pac:). Seemingly minor additions that fundamentally alter the flow of the game - and the quest for high scores.

I am slowly getting the hang of the revert manual. One final complication in a game that is defiantly built around muscle memory.

The soundtrack is amazing.

There is a grind switch in this game too... jesus they've gone all out in terms of adding new ways of continuing combos and adding diffcult tricks.

Now.. to attempt the daily grind! I'll be back with my result.

Edit: 107,000. Damn you Sheehy!

i still havent figured out how to manual?! is it quarter circle from bottom to left/right and x when landing? sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's just left or right and X, no rotation needed. Same timing as a landing, just with a direction added.

It's just left or right and X, no rotation needed. Same timing as a landing, just with a direction added.

i should have completed the tutorial :D

anyway, the trick is to press left or right at the same time as you press X to land. the manual wont work if you hold left/right earlier.

my daily grind score: 160586. seems impossible to get 538856...

The same guy something shinep is nearly winning daily grind everyday.

Wait til you start landing, revert, manual in one go. I'm at a point where i can't land without a manual. If i land normally, my fingers don't know what to do abs just freeze up

• Advertisement

Playing this most of the day, think I might be hooked (my thumb is hurting now though) :D Was so frustrated early on in it,only getting 30-40k but I'm hitting around 500000 now. Question on tricks - what way do they work when you are grinding a rail? 9 times out of 10 I input a trick while grinding and there's just no response, he flies off the rail and I have to go in to a manual.

The soundtrack continues to be brilliant, it's a genre that lends itself perfectly to a game like this. Just figured out there are also locked tracks on it, looking forward to getting them all.

say you land on a rail holding down. If you get a perfect grind (turns green), rotate the left stick to any other direction and press x. This does a switch grind (turns purple). Then just flick the stick left or right to do a flip off of it and then try land manual or revert manual. i still don't know how people are getting 5 mil a level. I'm getting between 1 and 1.5 mil.

Just on the last level of carnival of the dead, not moving on until all challenges complete. I already tried a pro level and it was Mental. Cant picture What the Rad version is like.

Anyone else's Straight A Student trophy not popping?

sheehy83 wrote: »
    say you land on a rail holding down. If you get a perfect grind (turns green), rotate the left stick to any other direction and press x. This does a switch grind (turns purple). Then just flick the stick left or right to do a flip off of it and then try land manual or revert manual. i still don't know how people are getting 5 mil a level. I'm getting between 1 and 1.5 mil.

Just on the last level of carnival of the dead, not moving on until all challenges complete. I already tried a pro level and it was Mental. Cant picture What the Rad version is like.

Anyone else's Straight A Student trophy not popping?

I actually picked that up earlier so it's fine for me.

Damn, might do all 13 skatepark levels again so see if that works. Would like to go for the platinum in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I thought this game was impossible at the beginning. It turned out that the TV wasn't in 'Game Mode' and there was extra input lag. It is very noticeable in a game like this or a driving game. Switch the TV back and it turns out the game is just very hard but not quite impossible.

tok9 wrote: »
    I actually picked that up earlier so it's fine for me.

Played the 1st skatepark level again and trophy popped. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Cannot pull off the "Crooked grind into a bigspin flip" challenge in the 3rd Aztec level.

Wrecking my head, and my fingers.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Cannot pull off the "Crooked grind into a bigspin flip" challenge in the 3rd Aztec level.

Wrecking my head, and my fingers.

When you hit the grind holding r1 and right, then when you're ready, swing the analog stick from right to down to left and leave go of the stick. Keep holding r1 for him to start the move.

Those used to keep catching me because I'd always leave go of r1 as well as the stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Lamposts

Great game.loving it

• Advertisement

I have to confess I've grown to like this less and less the more I've played. The busier the levels get, the less fun they become. They feel like a chore to navigate, with frustrating obstacles and a certain degree of random chance (although I confess I'm perhaps just **** at it, the launch pads seem particularly inconsistent - in the first level of the sci-fi world, the very first launcher only seems to properly launch me towards the rail a minority of the time). Some of the new techniques IMO overcomplicate the game's flow and control scheme too, and are fidgety in execution.

I still think there's a joy chaining together a seven-figure combo, especially in the early levels. When you get into the flow, it is supremely satisfying. And the manual is naturally a perfect fit. But later the difficulty goes from challenging to irritating, and the best aspects of the game seem overwhelmed by complications.

Advertisement