Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

life after gmail?

• 04-03-2015 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

A little while on now and I am wondering for personal email accounts has anyone settled on a Non US based email provider - paid / free or are people self hosting. If so what are the experiences like.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Im happy with my ProtonMail, still awaiting a mobile app, but it does me fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Kenz

How about Canada? Then try Hushmail.com; have been using it for years now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Kenz wrote: »
    How about Canada? Then try Hushmail.com; have been using it for years now.

Tied very much with the US/UK/Australia etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Finding it difficult to move from gmail and I can't really see much of a reason to, tbh. I have a nice memorable gmail account (like jbloggs@gmail.com) as I was in early and they're encrypting gmail -> gmail properly now so unless I'm a specific target (unlikely) intra gmail stuff is "secure". I use PGP where I can, but even with mailvelope it's painful. I don't see that being any better when another provider so I can't justify the hassle of a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Khannie wrote: »
    they're encrypting gmail -> gmail properly now so unless I'm a specific target (unlikely) intra gmail stuff is "secure".

oh, interesting. Is it client to gmail that's encrypted or are they now doing something at the server/data center level to encrypt the communication?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah they've encrypted datacentre to datacentre comms now in a very minor bird flip at the NSA. It was a few months ago iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Khannie wrote: »
    Finding it difficult to move from gmail and I can't really see much of a reason to, tbh. I have a nice memorable gmail account (like jbloggs@gmail.com) as I was in early and they're encrypting gmail -> gmail properly now so unless I'm a specific target (unlikely) intra gmail stuff is "secure". I use PGP where I can, but even with mailvelope it's painful. I don't see that being any better when another provider so I can't justify the hassle of a move.

if building a better solution than gmail was so easy, someone would have done it by now.

I was in a meeting a while back and the client said "If i gave you a million euro to get into my sytems what would you do?" And I had a half baked solution involving phishing, malware, wifi pineapples, hired glamour models and quad copters, but before I could give my answer a sub ordinate said "Share the million with me and I'll give you the passwords". Everyone laughed but he nailed the problem.

If the data is worth money, everyone in the link has a price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 EIREX

I have to second Protonmail.

Whilst its pretty basic and the amount of free storage means Ill eventually have to pay for my email account (shock, horror) its worked fine for me so far.

Advertisement