Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock results!!

Options
  • 02-03-2015 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone here thought of the mocks, and how you all did. I haven't got any of mine back yet and I don't know what to expect, although I'm hoping for all A/Bs.

How did everyone else do? Which subjects did you think were the easiest, and how difficultly were your papers marked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭MRledzepo

got 2 C's and 3 B's so far , hoping for another two 3 B's and one A in CSPE

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Chickenwing47

I got my mock results today and I'm wondering will I be fine for the JC:)
    Here's what I got:
    (H)Maths:E 31% (will I drop level?)
    (O)Irish:B 72%
    (H)English:D 47% (timing issues)
    (H)Metalwork:C 67%
    (H)Business:B 74%
    (C)Cspe:A 84%
    (H)Science:B 70%
    (H)Geography:B 78%
    (H)French:C 62%

Are these good enough results?? Should I drop maths is the main question because I don't want to fail anything in the real thing. I study a lot for these except for English and maths (I know there the most important) but for some reason I couldn't drive myself too but I'll be fine for English as I've already studied a good bit for it. But I'm really wondering is there any chance I could turn these results into all As and Bs?? Thanks :) p.s I'm also getting kind of lazy since I got the results and haven't been studying that much as I did but I want to. Any tips on motivating myself??? 😎

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't drop levels in anything.
    There is no reason you could not get all As and Bs, based on those results. You know now about your timing issues in English and can work on them.

Do not drop HL Maths. Even if you get an E, you have still taken the HL paper, so for LC you won't be stopped by teachers saying 'but you only did Ordinary'.

An E in HL means you understand some of the HL work. An A in OL just tells us you are good at OL work. They are not the same. Stick with HL as long as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

I'm so happy with mine, I got 10 A's and 1 B
    English:73%
    Irish:85%
    Maths:94%
    French:93%
    Geography:91%
    History:93%
    Science:90%
    Religion:95%
    Business Studies:92%
    Technical Graphics:95%
    CSPE:96%

Good luck with yours!

spurious wrote: »
    Don't drop levels in anything.
    There is no reason you could not get all As and Bs, based on those results. You know now about your timing issues in English and can work on them.

Do not drop HL Maths. Even if you get an E, you have still taken the HL paper, so for LC you won't be stopped by teachers saying 'but you only did Ordinary'.

An E in HL means you understand some of the HL work. An A in OL just tells us you are good at OL work. They are not the same. Stick with HL as long as you can.

Yea I suppose that's true but if I'm finding it tough at JC HL I doubt I'll be able for LC HL??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Possibly, but the OL LC Maths course is not very different from the HL JC Maths course so it would still be worth your while to stick with it. The worst grade for a teacher to see is an A in OL - it means the student should have done HL - they might have got a D or they might have got an A - we'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I almost failed my Maths mock (got very low 40s), and got a B in the real thing. My friends failed their maths mocks, and they all got Cs. It's possible!

Just keep practising. Do every paper, and question. Get your teacher to correct them, or go through marking schemes. Keep repeating, until you get very high marks on the papers without any help.

I did all the papers like two times, in the weeks leading to my Junior Cert. I'm pretty sure my maths teacher got annoyed with the work I was handing out. :D

Possibly, but the OL LC Maths course is not very different from the HL JC Maths course so it would still be worth your while to stick with it. The worst grade for a teacher to see is an A in OL - it means the student should have done HL - they might have got a D or they might have got an A - we'll never know.

Yea I'll try my best to stick with it! Any tips on movitvating myself to study I used to study a lot, like real a lot and they got me good results in my mocks (In my opinion) but know I dunno if I'm having a bad few weeks or something but lately I haven't done much study, rushed my homework and just been slagging (I'm good in school I don't mess) so don't get the wrong impression I don't know what it is it's just lately I feel like doing nothing like nothing at all? :( it's just school study sleep on most days then Tuesdays it's school training study and weekends it's just wake up study and then I have free time, am I depressed?? :/

I almost failed my Maths mock (got very low 40s), and got a B in the real thing. My friends failed their maths mocks, and they all got Cs. It's possible!

Just keep practising. Do every paper, and question. Get your teacher to correct them, or go through marking schemes. Keep repeating, until you get very high marks on the papers without any help.

I did all the papers like two times, in the weeks leading to my Junior Cert. I'm pretty sure my maths teacher got annoyed with the work I was handing out. :D
    Thanks I'll try this out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 katie280999

So i've gotten back a few of my mocks and so far I'm fairly happy with them. I'm usually in the top 2 or 3 in the class(Very small year). Here are my results so far. All in Honours.
    Home Ec C
    Geo B
    Art B
    Iri C
    Mat B

Is it possible to up my grades between now and June? Any study tips/tricks accepted! Do the mocks really matter?

• Advertisement

All Mock results threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pitapattern

Well so far I'm on...

English 64% (Timing issues and very complacently marked)
    French 73% (The listening...)
    Science 71% (Harshly marked)
    Geography 86% (Easily marked)
    Tech Graphics 85% (Very messy!)
    Religion 96% (The majority failed!)
    CSPE 93% (5 out of 6 on my poster, scandalous!)

Very optimistic for Business & History, hoping for As! Hoping for a low B in Irish and just plain dreading Maths!

Happy enough, haven't a clue what I'm on track for overall in June though, help?

I got my mock results today and I'm wondering will I be fine for the JC:)
    Here's what I got:
    (H)Maths:E 31% (will I drop level?)
    (O)Irish:B 72%
    (H)English:D 47% (timing issues)
    (H)Metalwork:C 67%
    (H)Business:B 74%
    (C)Cspe:A 84%
    (H)Science:B 70%
    (H)Geography:B 78%
    (H)French:C 62%

Are these good enough results?? Should I drop maths is the main question because I don't want to fail anything in the real thing. I study a lot for these except for English and maths (I know there the most important) but for some reason I couldn't drive myself too but I'll be fine for English as I've already studied a good bit for it. But I'm really wondering is there any chance I could turn these results into all As and Bs?? Thanks :) p.s I'm also getting kind of lazy since I got the results and haven't been studying that much as I did but I want to. Any tips on motivating myself??? 😎

I don't think it'll be all As & Bs I'm afraid! But you will do will! Don't drop maths! It's always murderous in the mocks! I can see, based on your mocks + a little more effort, about 4 As, 4 Bs, 3 Cs.

haiyna wrote: »
    I'm so happy with mine, I got 10 A's and 1 B
    English:73%
    Irish:85%
    Maths:94%
    French:93%
    Geography:91%
    History:93%
    Science:90%
    Religion:95%
    Business Studies:92%
    Technical Graphics:95%
    CSPE:96%

Good luck with yours!

Wowzwers! I wish, no doubt 11 As come September! I'm hoping for minimum 5, max 10

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Wowzwers! I wish, no doubt 11 As come September! I'm hoping for minimum 5, max 10

Haha thanks but an A in English is near impossible for me, but then again our teachers were really harsh and out of 120 students there were no A's at all...

haiyna wrote: »
    Haha thanks but an A in English is near impossible for me, but then again our teachers were really harsh and out of 120 students there were no A's at all...

Same, there was only 1 B, from what I know English and Maths are typically the massacres at the mocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jade4564

I did all higher level,
    Irish: 67
    English:86
    Maths:61
    Metalwork:89
    Tec Graph:73
    French:78
    History:88
    Geography:73
    Cspe:91

• Registered Users Posts: 4 daydreamer00

Just got my results yesterday, I did all higher level:

English (76%) B
    Irish (87%) A
    Maths (89%) A
    German (88%) A
    History (92)% A
    Geography (99%) A
    Science (92%) A
    Business (94%) A
    Tech Graphics (91%) A
    CSPE (94%) A

I'm delighted with these, I didn't put to much study in. Hopefully everything will be fine in June if I start working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 daydreamer00

Well done, they're fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭abutler101

I have done fairly well so far I think, I am only waiting to get art back but I'm hoping for an A in that.

Irish - A (87%) - fairly easily marked to be honest I didn't really deserve it
    Maths - B (70%) - a bit shocked by this, really happy
    English - C (69%) - there is some question about the marking of these, my teacher is recorrecting them because there is some surprisingly low results
    Science - A (85%)
    Business - A (88%)
    History - A (93%) - surprised by this because I did little or no study
    Geography - B (78%) - disappointed by this, it's my favourite subject
    Cspe - A (98%)
    German - A (86%)

I think if I knuckle down I might be able for 10 a's in June

• Advertisement

I don't think it'll be all As & Bs I'm afraid! But you will do will! Don't drop maths! It's always murderous in the mocks! I can see, based on your mocks + a little more effort, about 4 As, 4 Bs, 3 Cs.

I only do 9 subjects haha, I know I'm not going to do aswell as I thought I would at the start of the year I'm hoping for a least 3 As if I'm lucky and maybe the rest Bs except for English and maths? Do you think I'm capable?? Have I enough time?? I can't study good anymore I think I started to early I started in September it's like now I'm not even botherd and I don't wanna do it at all! I wanna change this and study all the time and I'm finding it really hard to! I used to always study on the weekends and now I never do I'm so annoyed at myself I onow my results are gonna be worse in the jc than in the mocks! :( I dunno what to do anymore just feeling down all the time and like I'm slacking in school but I'm trying not to, HELP PLEASE

• Registered Users Posts: 17 conorfinn1

All higher level subjects;
    Metalwork: A (88.5%)
    CSPE: A (91%)
    Woodwork: B (79%)
    Geography: B (72%)
    Science: C (68%) (misread a few questions)
    French: C (59%)
    Tech Graph: C (59%) (lost track of myself during exam)
    Irish: C (60%) (can do better!)
    English: C (59%) (Was alright with this one want a B)
    Maths: D (42%) (The paper was next to impossible)

If i put the head down studying will i do better for the JC itself?

Yes you will.

Update

Irish 64% C
    English 64% C
    Maths 65% C
    French 73% B
    History 93% A
    Geography 86% A
    Science 73% B
    Business 87% A
    Tech Graph 85% A
    Religion 96% A
    CSPE 93% A

6 As, 2 Bs & 3 Cs!

I was expecting 4 As, 5 Bs & 2 Cs so all and all I'm delighted, I think I can get somewhere between 8 and 10 As in June and then the remainder Bs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pasheee

Irish 76% B (Oral could have gone better, got a high B in the written paper)
    English 88% A (Timing issues! Had 10 minutes left to answer two questions so I half-assed the two of them to get them both done)
    Maths 47% D (Honestly just thrilled I passed this. Terrible at Maths and was expecting a fail so this came as a nice surprise)
    French 71% B (Reading comprehensions were surprisingly difficult and I lost a lot of marks there)
    History 81% B (Focused too much on studying for my question 6 and went down on short questions and pictures)
    Geography 91% A (Avoided as much physical geography as I could because I detest drawing diagrams, oh loooord)
    Science 61% C (I mean I'll be honest, Science isn't really my thing either. Hoping the coursework will bring me to the B in the actual exam)
    Business 66% C (Bit disappointed I didn't get the B but I'll have to go over my account layouts again and I should be grand)
    Music 78% B (Hoping for an A in the actual exam. My dictation was abysmal and so was my Irish music question)
    CSPE 91% A (Well yeah of course)

Again, we're getting the expectations of everyone getting A in CSPE. The figures simply do not back that up. Beware.

A grades in CSPE
    2012 - 21.9%
    2013 - 20.2%
    2014 - 21.1%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭abutler101

Update on mine. I got art back and my geography was changed. The examiner added the totals wrong, taking 10 marks away.

English - 69 - C
    Irish - 87 - A
    Maths - 70 - B
    History - 93 - A
    Geography - 85 - A
    Science - 85 - A
    Art - 96 - A
    Business - 88 - A
    CSPE - 98 - A
    German - 86 - A

Overall I am bloody delighted. 8 A's, 1 B and 1 C

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Again, we're getting the expectations of everyone getting A in CSPE. The figures simply do not back that up. Beware.

A grades in CSPE
    2012 - 21.9%
    2013 - 20.2%
    2014 - 21.1%

A lad in my class last year did what we thought was impossible: he failed CSPE (got an E). As far as I know it's a feat only achieved by ~600 people every year:D. It was talk of the place for a while, considering he actually submitted an action project write-up (albeit half-hearted) and actually sat the exam.

Not many A's in my year at all actually in CSPE, most people ended up with C's and D's because they saw it as a joke, submitted comically empty action project write-ups, and then left the exam in June after 30 minutes.

Just a bit of effort at all will get you an A in CSPE...I wrote up a detailed action project, detailing it in line with the past marking schemes, did 3 hours study the day before the exam, stayed for the full hour and a half exam, and got the handiest A in my JC.

Nearly 1500 candidates failed CSPE last year. Much hangs on the project - it has to fulfil the objectives etc..

There are schools who just organise a visit to the Dáil, there are schools do one or two year long local community commitments. Then you have the complication where a candidate may have played a major part in the action project, but isn't great at writing reports, so loses marks there.

It's not at all the gimme of a subject too many people think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement