Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To a Transgender Woman

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

orthsquel wrote: »
    Does this particular Bill (in its current amended form as changed before 2nd Seanad Debate) represent what you want and what Dr Lydia Foy have fought so long for? Does it reconcile the differences between Irish and EU Human Rights Law? How are you feeling with it dragging on and on at each stage, surely it must be tedious waiting and waiting on it..? And given that there has been pressure on Ireland to finally deal with it after abandoning it, do you think that the various organisations - the EU and UN for example - should have been more proactive or challenging in finally getting Ireland to deal with it given there was indeed a need to provide for it?
    I've stated before that I intend to not avail of gender recognition as it is currently proposed, and for a good practical reason. But the truth of the matter is that marriage equality will come in May, and so my practical reason for not getting my gender recognised will evaporate.

However I'm so upset over the proposals that I'm considering never getting my gender recognised anyway, as a form of protest. Thankfully the consequences on my day-to-day life would be minimal. I feel that if I were to get my gender recognised under this Government's scheme, I'd be dishonouring the journey I've had to make to realise Deirdre.

I suspect Dr. Foy is happy with the proposals. She's fought long and hard, and she just wants it to be over, and she'll qualify for her new birth cert under the proposals. And she is old, and I know that I'd hate to see her die before she gets that bit of paper. I'm happy for her, and I'm happy for the others who need that piece of paper for whatever reason.

The proposals are the bare minimum this Government needs to do to get the EU court of human rights off their back. However they have already come under fierce criticism from the EU human rights commissioner for their sickeningly conservative and disrespectful approach. I can't really fault the EU or the UN or any other organisation - they have been criticising the Government roundly at every opportunity - and the fact of the matter is that our Government seems immune to their criticisms.

Personally I don't mind it dragging on - so long as it helps the legislation get better. I'm in no mad rush to get my birth cert changed. I will qualify under the scheme, but the fact of the matter is that using my birth cert is a rare thing, and whereas it's dreadfully uncomfortable to have to use a piece of documentation which outs me as transgender, I can live with it. It's more a symbolic thing than a practical thing - albeit a hugely important symbolic thing. There are much bigger issues facing the transgender community - mental health, suicide, trans-specific healthcare, violence. However, getting properly recognised in law might, I guess, have a trickle-down effect on those issues.

On a personal level, the requirement that irks me the most is the medicalisation issue - the fact that I have to get a doctor to tell the government I'm transgender. Which means that, once again, in spite of 4 independent diagnoses of gender identity disorder, I'm probably going to have to prostrate myself in front of yet another doctor and beg him to allow me to be me. :mad: I'm sick of not having agency over my identity. Also, as far as I am concerned, the legislation requires doctors to lie. The doctor has to say that I fully understand the consequences of the decision (ugh! :( ) to live the rest of my life in my "preferred" (ugh :( ) gender. I'm 5 years in, and I'm still learning what those consequences are - so how can a doctor say that I know what the consequences are?!

On a wider level, the age requirement is bollocks. There is this idea that transgender people don't know ourselves - that we must be delusional, or influenced by other forces - and especially if we are young. smh.

And there is the divorce clause. It's rare enough, though certainly not unheard of, for marriages with a transgender person to survive transition. But it's bollox for such a loving, loveable, transgender person to have to choose between their marriage/family and their identity.

I've just disconnected in disgust from the whole thing. When gender recognition comes in, I'll see how I feel, but right now, I just feel disgusted.

CramCycle wrote: »
    You mentioned facial surgery to give a more feminine appearance. Is there a masculine facial surgery?
    I actually don't know. Testosterone is a "stronger" hormone than estrogen - it is pretty good at masculising people. But I guess some would need that bit of extra help - and I don't know if it's available.
    A friend of mine transitioned. I don't recall a drastic change at any point
    Hormones take a while to produce results...
    although their would have been gaps due to life that we didn't see each other for a few months.He looks more like a man then me ( broad shoulders, good looking), and despite knowing him for a few years before, I can't remember him as a woman at all other than his name. Is it as common?
    I barely remember me as a male, other than my name :)

Yes its common. I think when you live life authentically, and display that authenticity, and it is seen as authentic, it's hard to see the other as anything other than the false facade it was.
    I just never remember it being mentioned as an option.
    I don't understand what you are saying there ... ?

You don't remember what being an option? Masculisation surgery? I've never heard of it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Hi Deirdre, thanks for a very informative AMA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

What impact does being transgender have from a sports point of view? Do sporting organisations recognise that someone who has undergone transition should be allowed play for a female team?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You don't remember what being an option? Masculisation surgery? I've never heard of it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Probably my tiredness, I am not sure exactly what I was asking either, I presume it does exist as there would presumably be several situations where someone would want or need it. Just never heard it mentioned bit.before.

• Advertisement

ceegee wrote: »
    What impact does being transgender have from a sports point of view? Do sporting organisations recognise that someone who has undergone transition should be allowed play for a female team?
    Yes. The International Olympic Council even has a protocol. It requires 2 years HRT, and recognition in your gender in your home country to the extent possible. And there is a third requirement that I can't think of right now.

Fallon Fox is a transgender female MMA athlete who has come under a lot of fire for being "a man who beats up women in the ring" :mad: However she has the full support of the people who run MMA.

Getting weaker was one of the more interesting consequences of HRT - everything in the world seemed to get heavier and heavier. I became quite the klutz on HRT - constantly dropping things - and I'm not the only transgender woman to have experienced that. I'm convinced that it was because I was suddenly not using enough power in my fingers to counteract gravity, as the power I was used to applying was no longer sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I found this on the BBC website.
    http://m.bbc.com/news/magazine-31697046

The world is definitely changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Did you notice a difference in your physical strength as you went through the transition to becoming a woman?

Did you notice a difference in your physical strength as you went through the transition to becoming a woman?
    Yup. As I said above, it was one of the more interesting aspects of transition, especially in how klutzy it made me.

I guess I first noticed it maybe 6 months in. I had a fold-up bike that I needed to carry up a flight of stairs. I could definitely feel the bike getting heavier.

OK - it looks like this AMA is running out of steam, so before it gets locked (and I'll keep an eye on it until that happens), I just want to thank everyone for your questions.

As I said, I believe Ireland is one of the better countries in the world in which to be transgender, and this AMA has confirmed that view for me. The transgender community is looking forward to gender recognition, though there are huge problems with the proposals for gender recognition. It would be much appreciated if you could contact your local TD and inform them of those problems (and the www.teni.ie web site will help you out there). And of course please don't stand for transphobic bullying, or any other form of bullying.

If you are transgender, or struggling with gender identity issues, there is support out there. It's a difficult thing to deal with, yes, but it's probably quite a bit easier than you think. It certainly was for me. The web forums at www.transgender.ie and http://transcendireland.myfreeforum.org/ are a good starting point, and I'll finish with my own email address if you'd like to chat off-line - deirdre@transgender.ie

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi Deirdre. Thank yiu for doing this ama. I really learned a lot.
    Best of luck with your journey ahead and I hope you enjoy life to the fullest . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Thank you for all of your responses Deirdre and good luck in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi Deirdre

Do you think 3 or 4 year olds are able to determine their own gender identity?

What do you think about children being raised by their parents in a gender neutral way?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Hi Deirdre - thanks for answering my question before.

In your experience do most transgender people end up in a relationship (if that's what they want), or is it hard for others to accept the transgender persons past?

For example, I would like to think that if my husband came out as a transgender woman I would be supportive and still love him and be with him (if he wanted me that is).

But I imagine that it's different to being in the dating stage?

By the way, you look like a beautiful woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Well done you did a great job and thanks for the wonderful insight i have learnt a lot and good luck in the future
    Thanks
    Zebrano

Do you think 3 or 4 year olds are able to determine their own gender identity?
    Yes.

The average age at which a transgender person becomes aware of their gender identity is 7.
    What do you think about children being raised by their parents in a gender neutral way?
    There is something very wrong IMO about imposing artificial standards of behaviour on children because of their gender. How many female engineers, and how many male homemakers, has the world lost because of those standards?

In your experience do most transgender people end up in a relationship (if that's what they want), or is it hard for others to accept the transgender persons past?
    I honestly don't know. I haven't been in relationship myself (ever!) so I have no personal experiences to draw on. I know a lot of my trans friends are in relationships, but I don't know if they had to suffer the kind of rejection you mention before getting there.

Your question, though, boils down to "does transphobia impact on the ability of people to maintain a budding relationship with a transgender person?". I imagine it happens, but I couldn't comment on how frequently.
    By the way, you look like a beautiful woman.
    Thanks. My body doesn't do my face justice, unfortunately, but at least I have that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Do you get wet?

Feel free not to answer if it's too personal, just something I was curious about.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Do u think many gay/lesbian peopleare actually transgender and dont realise

syklops wrote: »
    Do you get wet?

Feel free not to answer if it's too personal, just something I was curious about.
    I'm not going to answer that for me, but I'll answer it in the general sense.

There is an option for every trans woman who is getting gender confirmation surgery - we need to choose between "dry" and "constantly wet".

As I said, I'm not going to go into which I chose and why.

• Advertisement

Zebrano wrote: »
    Do u think many gay/lesbian peopleare actually transgender and dont realise
    Yes, though with greater awareness of trans issues I'd say that's getting rarer.

It's all about awareness and educating - which are two of the motivations I have for this AMA :)

Two videos of me doing activism work (in case you are also wondering what I sound like :P )

The first is motion 19 - the motion I proposed at the Labour Party conference of 2012. I hasten to add that I've since resigned from the party.

The second is outside RTE in relation to the transphobic show "The Centre"

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

Fair play to you Deirdre, it takes a lot to stand up and speak about a matter that is really important to you, especially when it feels like its personal with reference to that particular show.

Would you generally see yourself as an activist for transgender rights? Or could you see yourself in that role in the future, working with TENI or even working with TGEU? I wasn't aware of TGEU - although it is possible you mentioned it - but has such an umbrella organisation proved to be a voice heard within the EU Parliament itself? Does it give that bit of extra strength or credibility to groups like TENI and even yourself on particular matters when dealing with a particular issue?

orthsquel wrote: »
    Would you generally see yourself as an activist for transgender rights?
    I have a passion - an itch that needs to be scratched. I'd love to scratch it by being a trans activist.
    Or could you see yourself in that role in the future, working with TENI or even working with TGEU?
    Definitely not TENI - and that's a story in itself. I was talking to my lawyers yesterday about TENI and I, and I expect to be sending them a solicitors letter shortly. 'nuff said.

I'd be reluctant to be involved with TGEU, for the simple reason that I've found through bitter experience that activist organisations can be dreadfully political, and are often full of backstabbers and career politicians. It is that same sort of bitter experience with TENI that brought me to my lawyers office yesterday :(
    I wasn't aware of TGEU - although it is possible you mentioned it - but has such an umbrella organisation proved to be a voice heard within the EU Parliament itself? Does it give that bit of extra strength or credibility to groups like TENI and even yourself on particular matters when dealing with a particular issue?
    Probably. But as far as I can see the toxicity often contained in the organisations themselves is such that I don't see how I can be involved with them, and that is something that breaks my heart and angers me to my core, as I'd love to be using my talents to help bring about that kind of change. And I don't know how to "vet" the good organisations from the bad.

I'm currently looking at ways in which I can use my talents in other ways to help bring about change. As was said in the intro, I'm currently studying TV presenting and production - it would be an absolute dream for me to get a job as a TV or radio presenter, and the feedback I'm getting suggests it's possible. And I hope by simply living my life openly, and well, and without apology, in front of a TV camera or radio microphone, it might just send out the kinds of messages about transgender people (as well as messages to transgender people in the closet) that might help bring about change.

I've been at the labour party conference, I've spoken outside RTE, I've done a year of LGBT radio, but the most powerful activism-related thing that ever happened to and for me is when I was in the kitchen of a rented cottage just outside Sligo. A trans woman had reached her "breaking point", came into the kitchen, and announced to me and a fellow activist that she was, from that point forwards, never again going to present as male, and she was going to take whatever social consequences that entailed. She gave a most moving speech (which reduced my activist friend and I to tears) about her right to be herself. That moment was worth any amount of trips to Leinster House or RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'm not going to answer that for me, but I'll answer it in the general sense.

There is an option for every trans woman who is getting gender confirmation surgery - we need to choose between "dry" and "constantly wet".

As I said, I'm not going to go into which I chose and why.

Thanks for answering what Im sure is quite an intimate question so well.

Just thinking out loud, Id imagine 'always wet' would bring with it quite a few potential pitfalls.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd be reluctant to be involved with TGEU, for the simple reason that I've found through bitter experience that activist organisations can be dreadfully political, and are often full of backstabbers and career politicians. It is that same sort of bitter experience with TENI that brought me to my lawyers office yesterday

A horrible generalisation but it seems to be something present in a large volume of Irish organisations, regardless of the aim or point of the organisation, not just activist ones, I do wonder is it a genetic trait of some Irish people when I look back over my life and recall the actions of some in organisations that I have been a member of.

I hope its not something that causes you to much grief whatever the issue, and if it already has that it is resolved swiftly.

syklops wrote: »
    Just thinking out loud, Id imagine 'always wet' would bring with it quite a few potential pitfalls.
    It depends on how wet, but yes. And I've now reached my limit of comfort talking about this! :)

CramCycle wrote: »
    A horrible generalisation
    Yes - but my problem is I don't know how to figure out if an organisation is going to be "good" or "bad". I've recently discovered that another organisation I thought was "good" isn't. :(
    I hope its not something that causes you to much grief whatever the issue, and if it already has that it is resolved swiftly.
    It has caused, and continues to cause, a tremendous amount of grief. I've been suicidal trying to deal with the consequences of what happened :( And I suspect it's going to drag on for quite some time, as everyone (even organisations other than TENI) has put up a wall of silence that I need to break down in order to undo the damage.

What I would say to everyone is - if TENI, or any other organisation, offers you something, by all means take it. Use them. But be careful about trusting them. I've yet to come across a voluntary organisation that is about what it says it's about. All voluntary organisations are, in fact, about fulfilling the personal needs of those involved in them - if they weren't fulfilling those personal needs, then those people wouldn't be involved! And sometimes you'll find an organisation where those personal needs are a need to feel good about giving you something.

OK - this AMA was threatening to get off-topic there, so let's revert to the question at hand.

It's important to note that my experience of gender is one of many within the wider trans community. There is no one way to be trans. In particular, I think it's important to note that most trans people don't transition, and they don't transition simply because they don't need to!

A non-transitioning male-to-female trans person is often called a transvestite. I know many transvestites. Some of them are almost-but-not-quite transgender, but most are simply people who have a strong need to express themselves in a feminine way. And it's a deep-seated non-sexual need (as opposed to a desire, though of course the need creates a desire).

Whereas there are some legal protections for transitioning transgender people, there are none for those who don't need to transition. The activist part of me finds that unacceptable. Indeed the transgender part of me is also suspicious of it - it is as if I'm being rewarded for upholding the gender binary by going from one box to the other, which is in stark contrast to my transvestite and other non-transitioning trans friends - friends who are amongst a wider set of trans people who occupy both boxes.

To paraphrase Dr. Who - trans is like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly gender-wender stuff :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Can you give examples of what legal protections you'd like transvestites to have please.

Also, and apologies if it sounds a bit blunt, did your Mum drink heavily while pregnant with you? I believe Fetal Alcohol Syndrome can result in offspring questioning their gender.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement