Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To a Transgender Woman

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

^ Can you give examples of what legal protections you'd like transvestites to have please.
    Protection from discrimination due to gender expression is basically it, I think.
    Also, and apologies if it sounds a bit blunt, did your Mum drink heavily while pregnant with you? I believe Fetal Alcohol Syndrome can result in offspring questioning their gender.
    Nope. My mother has always been a very moderate drinker. A heavy smoker, but a moderate drinker.

The best scientific theory about being transgender states that my mother's body was supposed to generate a surge of testosterone for me during a particular stage of the development of my brain, and didn't. All babies grow up to be female until testosterone intervenes. So my brain was developing along female lines, and didn't get that shot of testosterone, and so I was left with a brain telling me I'm female in a body which was telling me I'm male.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

A new documentary from Journeyman pictures on transgender teens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've no question for you deirdre, but I just wanted to thank you for this fantastic thread. Obviously I grew up in the LGBT community and have known a good few trans people in my time, but it's good to see you answering these questions so openly and upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I've no question for you deirdre, but I just wanted to thank you for this fantastic thread. Obviously I grew up in the LGBT community and have known a good few trans people in my time, but it's good to see you answering these questions so openly and upfront.
    Thanks :) There are some questions which I'm not prepared to answer, as they are too personal, and I'm glad to see that being understood. I normally don't even talk about whether I'm pre-op, post-op or non-op, but I decided to address that issue in at least the general sense on this thread, especially since it wasn't in the first few questions I got (which it normally is! :rolleyes: ).

As I said it's been my pleasure. I've received PMs from two people - you know who you are - thank you! Thank you for your support, and for your trust in me.

And as I've said above, I'm passionate, and I have an itch that needs to be scratched. Part of that itch is the simple dream that, as Dr. King said, people should be judged by nothing more than the content of their character. I see too many people judged by stuff which really isn't important, and suffer greatly because of it.

So I hope to see you all on 22 May voting yes. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

So I hope to see you all on 22 May voting yes. ;)

Of course!!

I was at the March for Marriage last year and I made a huge sign to carry - afterwards there were various pics posted on twitter and in news media and I kept seeing my huge sign waving about in pics - so funny - couldnt see me at all of course!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Lets wrap it up there, seems as good a spot as any.

Deirdre, thank you so much for answering so many questions so well and to the rest of you for engaging and making this thread a great read.

I'll have a new AMA up later today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement