Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved home, just got a very large connection fee that I was told I would not get

Options
  • 04-03-2015 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

I just moved home in the last month. When I was moving, I was told on the phone that I wouldn't get a connection charge when moving to my new home yet today, I am looking at a bill for €174.75.

Not only that, but I have call charges on the line but I don't even have a house phone to make calls from!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

d31b0y wrote: »
    I just moved home in the last month. When I was moving, I was told on the phone that I wouldn't get a connection charge when moving to my new home yet today, I am looking at a bill for €174.75.

Not only that, but I have call charges on the line but I don't even have a house phone to make calls from!!
    Very sorry to hear of this d31b0y

Please feel free to PM me your eircom account number and I'll look in to this for you

Thanks
    AL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

PM'd you there Alan. It looks like I actually have three accounts with eircom now, just to add more confusion. Anyway, I outlined everything in the PM. I forgot to include the link to this thread though...

PM'd you there Alan. It looks like I actually have three accounts with eircom now, just to add more confusion. Anyway, I outlined everything in the PM. I forgot to include the link to this thread though..hi

Hi d31b0y

Just to update the thread I'll call you back at 3.30pm today with a full resolution :)

Al

Hi Alan, I never got confirmation that this was fully resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Doesn't surprise me. Eircom let me sign up for broadband on my dads account, didn't ask to speak to him, told me as there was 50/50 chance of it working that I had 7 days to opt out of the contract if it didn't work. 

Got the modem, it didn't work. Called them up to say it didnt work and I was sending it back and they refused to take it back!! Sent out an engineer who got it working but the speed was as fast as dial up. When I tried cancel it they woudnt cancel it for me but insisted they could only deal with the account holder. Funny that considering they let a non account holder add to the account.

Eircom staff are horrible too, as soon as there's a problem nobody is willing to deal with it and they seem to enjoy transferring calls. I was once transferred to 8 different people

• Advertisement

Well, in fairness to eircom and Al (from my perspective at least), I am 99% sure that it is resolved. I just didn't get confirmation...

Hi Alan, I never got confirmation that this was fully resolved.
    Hi d31b0y

Yes I can confirm that this is fully I resolved - apologies I taught I had called you and informed you of this.

If you need any further clarification drop me a PM and I'll be back to you right away

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have had terrible dealings with eircom.

They disconnected broadband after calling them many times that bills were too high and then the eircom end of direct debit stopped working.

Then I agreed to give €200 off my credit card which they took a further €468.81 off it straight after without my permission so it looks after calling them they say they can't put money back on my card so I will have to take this to the small claims court.

I have never complained about any operator or service before but eircom have been trouble since we signed up.

Very poor service in my opinion and taking that much off me was disgraceful.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have had terrible dealings with eircom.

They disconnected broadband after calling them many times that bills were too high and then the eircom end of direct debit stopped working.

Then I agreed to give €200 off my credit card which they took a further €468.81 off it straight after without my permission so it looks after calling them they say they can't put money back on my card so I will have to take this to the small claims court.

I have never complained about any operator or service before but eircom have been trouble since we signed up.

Very poor service in my opinion and taking that much off me was disgraceful.
    Did you pursue this behaviour by Eircom with your credit card company?  

There is a very important case study4/01 on this type of behaviour by a company on the Data Protection Commissioner's website which unfortunately not enough people are aware of. The conclusion of the report is:
    More generally, I consider it to be a sound and proper principle that credit card data obtained for a particular transaction cannot be used subsequently for other transactions without express consent, without violating the 'fair obtaining' rule. The principle of transparency and fairness, which are key tenets of data protection law and practice, apply in this area just as in any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

dub45 wrote: »

There is a very important case study4/01 on this type of behaviour by a company on the Data Protection Commissioner's website which unfortunately not enough people are aware of. The conclusion of the report is:

Hi dub45.
    I did not know that.
    Its very strange as when I noticed statement was high with amount taken out rang eircom was told they were going to check.
    Rang again as heard nothing told oh must be some problem.
    Rang again oh we can't put money back on card as payment has cleared so then got onto bank who told me to write to my bank and sign letter received letter saying it is outside period but they are waiting to hear from eircom.

I have never had any issue like this before with any other company.
    They were to fit line on a certain date took a month then line fitted they couldn't connect broadband then had that connected but no broadband. So 2months to get a service while being billed for phone calls but have no phone and a reconnection fee even though their faults.

Tired now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dub45 wrote: »

Hi dub45.
    I did not know that.
    Its very strange as when I noticed statement was high with amount taken out rang eircom was told they were going to check.
    Rang again as heard nothing told oh must be some problem.
    Rang again oh we can't put money back on card as payment has cleared so then got onto bank who told me to write to my bank and sign letter received letter saying it is outside period but they are waiting to hear from eircom.

I have never had any issue like this before with any other company.
    They were to fit line on a certain date took a month then line fitted they couldn't connect broadband then had that connected but no broadband. So 2months to get a service while being billed for phone calls but have no phone and a reconnection fee even though their faults.

Tired now.
    Companies really should not be allowed get away with this type of behaviour. AFAIK a company can refund a card at any time - that sounds like complete nonsense from Eircom while to be honest your bank do not sound as if they are being very active on your behalf. I know it takes effort (and companies rely on customers getting tired) but you should really follow up on this as much as possible.

Advertisement