Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPad screen repair

• 04-03-2015 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the best direction for a replacement LCD for an ipad2 3g model. The pixels are off color on a data screen and colors are terrible during movie playback.

I am tempted to repair it myself, as i believe the charge by companies to replace them can generally be too high but if anyone has any recommendations of repair companies that would be perfect

Cheers
    Dpjmie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Syncron.ie Blanchardstown (supply parts only as well) or e-tech Dundrum. Would recommend e-tech over the other but good experience with both.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cormacc

I'd use Syncron for buying most of the parts I use. I've never had any issues with them. When changing the LCD on the ipad, make sure you heat the digitizer enough as not to crack the screen and be careful around the volume buttons/ right of the home button as there is a cable in both locations that can be easily damaged when removing the digitizer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭jay2k6ie

dpjmie wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the best direction for a replacement LCD for an ipad2 3g model. The pixels are off color on a data screen and colors are terrible during movie playback.

I am tempted to repair it myself, as i believe the charge by companies to replace them can generally be too high but if anyone has any recommendations of repair companies that would be perfect

Cheers
    Dpjmie

Repairing an iPad LCD is a big job. its not like an iPhone its pretty messy and requires a good heat gun. If you're getting a quality replacement LCD you're looking at 60-70 euro and I know one or two places that do the repair with those parts for €90 so I'd probably just pay the little bit of extra money and have the pros do it and have a warranty..

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

Cheers for the help... I have received the replacement screen and installed it, only to realize i didn't need it... The distorted colors appear on both screen so it isnt the screen. I have read many people having these issues and a few hard slaps seems to fix it for them.

It didn't work for me, but the only thing i can think of the problem being is the LCD flex ribbon?? Does anyone have any experience with this problem or am I the only unlucky sod!

Cheers
    dpjmie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Happens all iPad2's, the ribbon cable has a tiny bit of play and moves slightly. As mentioned above the easiest fix is a hard bang (the side without switches) of the iPad off the table. you can pay to have the Digitizer removed and the cable reseated and it might happen you again the next day.
    dpjmie wrote: »
    It didn't work for me, but the only thing i can think of the problem being is the LCD flex ribbon?? Does anyone have any experience with this problem or am I the only unlucky sod!

Cheers
    dpjmie
    Never had a faulty one of them but worth a shot for a tenner. you would imagine flexing the cable would affect the screen if it was broken.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LCD-SCREEN-MAINBOARD-FLEX-RIBBON-CONNECTION-CABLE-FOR-iPAD-2-/150678671260?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item2315260f9c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

Happens all iPad2's, the ribbon cable has a tiny bit of play and moves slightly. As mentioned above the easiest fix is a hard bang (the side without switches) of the iPad off the table. you can pay to have the Digitizer removed and the cable reseated and it might happen you again the next day.

Never had a faulty one of them but worth a shot for a tenner. you would imagine flexing the cable would affect the screen if it was broken.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LCD-SCREEN-MAINBOARD-FLEX-RIBBON-CONNECTION-CABLE-FOR-iPAD-2-/150678671260?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item2315260f9c

I have tried the giving it a bang more than once, helps with the frustration but unfortunately for me, nothing more :). I have stripped it down and tried to reseat the cable and still no joy!!
    Fortunately, i have the ipad stripped and have the new ribbon cable ordered... Will update if this fixes the problem incase anyone runs into the same issue.

Advertisement