Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuiseal Ginideach

• 04-03-2015 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hi ppl,

Just a bit confused atm with the Tuiseal Ginideach!

We got some sentences in our Irish book/handbook and it says to use the tuiseal ginideach on the words in brackets.

Heres number one:

Ceard a d'fhoghlaim tú i gcaitheamh (an bhliain)?

I'm just confused as to how to change it or to know why I have to change it, it sounds ok to me??

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You're looking for the TG singular, and "bliain" is a feminine noun, so the first thing to do is to put "na" in front of it. The séimhiú can be removed. I won't tell you which declension "bliain" is in, but http://www.tearma.ie/Home.aspx will. It'll give you the answer too. ;)

"i gcaitheamh" is a bit like le linn, ar feadh, go ceann, etc. A compound preposition. All réamhfhocail chomhshuite put the noun that follows into the Tuiseal Ginideach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

An File wrote: »
    You're looking for the TG singular, and "bliain" is a feminine noun, so the first thing to do is to put "na" in front of it. The séimhiú can be removed. I won't tell you which declension "bliain" is in, but http://www.tearma.ie/Home.aspx will. It'll give you the answer too. ;)

"i gcaitheamh" is a bit like le linn, ar feadh, go ceann, etc. A compound preposition. All réamhfhocail chomhshuite put the noun that follows into the Tuiseal Ginideach.

Thanks ;)

Advertisement