Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an affordable upgrade from the R7 260X

Options
  • 04-03-2015 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

I bought my 260x a few months ago and I do enjoy the upgrade from the 250 GTS I used to have. However I was thinking of aiming towards another upgrade, perhaps one that has 2GB VRam?

I'm not as familiar with Radeon as I used to be with nVidia so I'm trying to figure out what would be a decent option.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

What hames are you planning to play?
    Whats your budget and what is your current system spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Redfox25 wrote: »
    What games are you planning to play?
    Whats your budget and what is your current system spec.

Having trouble playing TW: Attila on a high setting. Rome II as well. I'm not sure if it's bad optimization or it just needs a few more patches etc. I dunno. There's a few options such as Anti-Aliasing that I would rather have enabled but it just slices the frames for me which I'm not enjoying the look of.

My budget would be no higher than €200.

My system specs are

CPU: A8-6600K Quad Core @ 3.9ghz
    GPU: Radeon R7 Sapphire OC Edition @ 1GB Vram
    PSU: Powercool X-VIPER Modular 650W

Motherboard is MSI A55M-E35

I wonder if its your cpu rather than your gpu that is the issue. Must go check specs for that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah that processor is very behind Intel's Pentium/Core i3/5/7 line for the majority of games. It's not really designed for CPU intensive gaming and will show limitations in certain games no matter what GPU you use....260x isn't a lighting fast card but it's decent enough. Next step up would be something like a 270X.

Would a fx 6300 fit in your motherboard i wonder. Would be a massive step up.

• Advertisement

Ignore that. Your current cpu is as good or better. Fx8350 maybe an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ignore that. Your current cpu is as good or better. Fx8350 maybe an option.

They're different socket types altogether. Can't upgrade to the FX line.

Best option long term is sell the FM2 mobo and A8 and switch to Intel. Even a basic i3 would be a massive improvement on that processor for CPU intensive titles. Plenty of games wouldn't show much difference as they're often GPU bound but there's always a few that show up the gap.

Yep, they are different socket types, my bad. The joys of searching on a phone.

I would wait a few weeks ss the game is poorly optimised atm. They will likely fix it soonish.

• Advertisement

I would wait a few weeks ss the game is poorly optimised atm. They will likely fix it soonish.

I know. It's irritating. Shogun 2 runs unbelievable and it was optimized for AMD cards, so maybe that compliments it more, I don't know. Rome II does run well but it's tiresome looking for the right optimal settings without sacrificing too much.

Attila is on a similar boat as Rome II, but like you said it probably needs further patches. But that's a topic for another thread.

I do appreciate the responses though I'm still exploring my options

My machine runs rome 2 with no issues on high or ultra. Its on the middle setting atm.

Advertisement