Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolutely bizarre wireless connection with media devices in the house.

Options
  • 04-03-2015 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've run into very strange wireless connection issues with some of the media devices in my house. I have a good basic grasp of issues like this and am usually able to rectify them but finding this particular issue very strange.

I have a WD TV digital box that connects to my television through the red/yellow/white video input at the back of my TV. This box allows me to use the internet on my TV to watch Netflix, play Spotify ect...

Last week, Netflix began continuously stalling and buffering. The same started happening with my iPhone....not loading pages, dropping signal ect... So i automatically presumed it was wifi issues.

Rang Vodafone tech support... Troubleshooted the problem and changed up some of the wifi broadcast channels from the router over the space of a few days but still no joy in resolving. Rang Vodafone tech support back and they said the router is broken.

What I have realized since, is that out of the four media devices we use in the house. Two mobile phones, the WD TV box and my laptop, it that this connection issue seems only to be effecting the WD TV box and my iPhone... but not the other two.

I have tried resetting the router and the WD Tv box also but no success. Am i missing something here? If the problem is only effecting two devices, then it can`t be the router ....right?

If I reset the other two devices and the issue hasn't resolved itself... is it absolute coincidence that two devices have ceased to work properly with a wireless connection... surely not?

Any input would be great... Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

subscriber wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I've run into very strange wireless connection issues with some of the media devices in my house. I have a good basic grasp of issues like this and am usually able to rectify them but finding this particular issue very strange.

I have a WD TV digital box that connects to my television through the red/yellow/white video input at the back of my TV. This box allows me to use the internet on my TV to watch Netflix, play Spotify ect...

Last week, Netflix began continuously stalling and buffering. The same started happening with my iPhone....not loading pages, dropping signal ect... So i automatically presumed it was wifi issues.

Rang Vodafone tech support... Troubleshooted the problem and changed up some of the wifi broadcast channels from the router over the space of a few days but still no joy in resolving. Rang Vodafone tech support back and they said the router is broken.

What I have realized since, is that out of the four media devices we use in the house. Two mobile phones, the WD TV box and my laptop, it that this connection issue seems only to be effecting the WD TV box and my iPhone... but not the other two.

I have tried resetting the router and the WD Tv box also but no success. Am i missing something here? If the problem is only effecting two devices, then it can`t be the router ....right?

If I reset the other two devices and the issue hasn't resolved itself... is it absolute coincidence that two devices have ceased to work properly with a wireless connection... surely not?

Any input would be great... Thanks a lot.

Is your wireless channel set to channel 12 our 13? In Europe we are allows use channels 1-13, USA only use 1-11. Any device set to USA channel regulations will have trouble with channels 12 and 13, it's known to happen to iPhones

Get inssider on your laptop and manually set the channel to one far away from others in your area

• Registered Users Posts: 10 drtonic49

Is your wireless channel set to channel 12 our 13? In Europe we are allows use channels 1-13, USA only use 1-11. Any device set to USA channel regulations will have trouble with channels 12 and 13, it's known to happen to iPhones

Get inssider on your laptop and manually set the channel to one far away from others in your area

Aw man, i was being driven absolutely up the wall by my galaxy tab 8.4 only connecting the odd time to the wifi network... found this post, changed the channel and oh sweet mother of god it works..! Thank You..!

i think if this post didn't exist for me to find i would have actually put my fist through it (or at least tried very hard)...!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Ya, I was set to channel 13 alright and now that you mention it I realize that the WD TV box was bought from the states alright through amazon. Ill download inssider now and see how I go. Ill report back again tomorrow. Here`s hoping it works. It`s amazing how "tech support" hotlines are able to guide their customers on these issues.... All they ever focus on is the router and connection going down the line instead of asking the customer about the overall picture.

Advertisement