Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Software do you use?

Options
  • 04-03-2015 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Okay nice and simple, what software/programs do you use to keep your computers clean from junk files,viruses and just general things. That cause our PC's to slow down and so on.

I re installed my Windows 7 and only have Bit Defender Internet Security 2015 as a anti-virus program.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

CCleaner Free is pretty good for cleaning up your pc

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Androidable

yoyo wrote: »
    CCleaner Free is pretty good for cleaning up your pc

Nick

Thank you Nick, I will surely check it out and give it a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Malwarebytes: Excellent & free too

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭varuka

Windows Defender is good and free and comes pre installed in most Windows OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

On my Windows 7 machine I use MS security essentials for anti virus. Supposedly it doesn't score too well compared with other products, but its lightweight, fast, and doesn't constantly spam and annoy me with messages.

I use CCleaner occasionally too to clear up junk as I run a small SSD which is always around 6GB from full.

I would check my startup items (on windows 7, start -> run -> "msconfig") to make sure there's nothign in there I don't want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Avast Free Antivirus
    Malwarebyes Free
    CCleaner

= Secure, lean running PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

On my work machine I use:
    eset endpoint security - does the job in the background while being light on resources.
    Malwarebytes Corporate - does what is says on the tin with the added benefit of real time monitoring.
    ccleaner once in a blue moon and encryption software.

And then nothing on the home machine being a macbook.

shanec1928 wrote: »

And then nothing on the home machine being a macbook.

That's pretty naive of you ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

not really just dont download crap on it. have a old machine for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Linux....;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 BeachView

A lot of the free av have toolbars and pups

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

excollier wrote: »
    Linux....;)

Which distro? It's been a long while since I've run any on primary systems...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I use Lubuntu. Very fond of it because it's nice and simple. I can't be doing with flashy desktops. The software I use most is:

Keepass (this is available for windows also)
    Firefox
    Chrome
    Pidgin (IM) with OTR (encryption)
    Skype (for work)
    Thunderbird for email
    LibreOffice for officey stuff
    Terminal (because it's Linux)

A mixture / multiboot of Mint 17.1 xfce, Debian Wheezy & Jessie xfce on my main computer. Salix 14.1. & Puppy Tahr 6 on an old computer for other purposes
    and Raspbian Wheezy on a Raspberry Pi used as a NAS / file server.
    Getting off topic here though, sorry.

Currently running Ubuntu MATE and Ubuntu Gnome on my two laptops. Very happy with both. I'm a bit of a distro hopper though! Was running Arch XFCE for a while but got a bit tired of stuff breaking so changed to something more stable for the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

BeachView wrote: »
    A lot of the free av have toolbars and pups

Which you don't have to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Joeface

for removing all the temp , install and other stuff that just takes up space
    http://www.diskcleaner.nl/download , works much faster than the windows one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I use Avast free, and I run CCleaner, Malwarebytes and SpyBot frequently. SpyBot is very slow and the free version only gets updated once a week but it will find and remove stuff Malwarebytes will overlook. I also use SpaceMonger to visually illustrate whats on my disks, and Sandboxie is a nice sandbox program if you want to open/use something that may be dicey. Defraggler is great too, but don't use it on SSD's.

All you Windows users should watch this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVWFRQ47SG8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

excollier wrote: »
    All you Windows users should watch this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVWFRQ47SG8

Emsisoft gets a good review over at bleepingcomputer.

You have to check the downloaded program, sometimes the program itself, sometimes the sites installer, always click advanced install, always check what t&c's you are agreeing to.

I tend to go to majorgeeks first, they usually either host the program or at least warn you if there is ****e.

• Advertisement

doesn't www.ninite.com installers remove all the pup crap from the installers..........

Bleachbit > ccleaner

Ensure UAC is enabled, give yourself a Standard account though access to an admin for when needed...

Install adblockers on your web browser.

Avoid using torrent programs on a windows box, if you can, place it on a *nix box, even get a cheap vps and pull from there, if you need to get those linux distros.....

And as other users stated, use ninite if possible for installations, or if your adventurous and want a package manager like linux, try chocolatey.

Joeface wrote: »
    doesn't www.ninite.com installers remove all the pup crap from the installers..........

They do a great job indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can use Unchecky to uncheck the crap that they try to install

I just use MSE and then run MWB and Superantispyware now and again and sometimes ADWcleaner to clean up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

http://www.ninite.com/ is this better than adwcleaner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I've used ninite for years but now use patchmypc it will flag out of date software and you can install programs with it without all the crap toolbars etc. I'm on my phone but I'll post a link later. I use bitdefender free for AV and the occasional run of cleaner I don't overdo it tbh.

just swapped out AVG for bitdefender ..........8 items found on my so called clean system . Nothing overly serious but there all the same .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Avg is a bloated dog....

AVG has been pretty bad for a while now. MSE/Windows Defender or Avast are grand in my book.

• Advertisement
Advertisement