Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for old working PCs

Options
  • 04-03-2015 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

hay guys im looking for some old but working PCs
    i need them for my leaving cert construction studies project. i am planing to build a computer desk but with the computer in the desk. the computer will be covered over with a large piece of glass or acrylic any help is appreciated
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Cool project. Wish I'd thought of doing that for mine. If you just want parts to test fit / for measurements, etc. maybe poke anyone you know in a reasonably big business, see if they can ask around their IT department for dead parts. Also, all of the parts are standardised, so you'll find measurements for things like ATX PSUs and motherboards, PCI slots, etc. online.

If you want working parts for the end product... Save up. Your project will look much nicer (and be more functional for you to use) afterwards with proper parts. You get points for the look, and as much as the computer parts themselves aren't the focus, the examiner is only human, and will tend to like a colour co-ordinated build more than one with random-ass stuff in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 potato_thief

thanks for the advice man but i dont realy know anyone that works in IT and i was hoping to find some one with a old computer lying around the house that i could use. but the other option is to use my own computer but then i dont have a computer for a few months :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Nucular Arms

I have an old desktop that still works (I think!)

I'll give it a try when I get home if you like.

You would collect I assume?

yea i can collect on most days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

How about an old(ish) 15" laptop? I have a decent looking one lying around that would be available next week. You would need to replace a 2.5 inch hard drive as its encrypted but they are quite cheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Pretty sweet project idea man!

Will have to post pictures!

krissovo wrote: »
    How about an old(ish) 15" laptop? I have a decent looking one lying around that would be available next week. You would need to replace a 2.5 inch hard drive as its encrypted but they are quite cheep.
    Kinda need a desktop but thanks anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Nucular Arms

Hey sorry, totally foorgot about this.

Will have a look tonight! (serious this time..;) )

Sorry for the bump but I really do need some help

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Eldoco

Does the pc need to work as I will have an old pc case I no longer use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

where are you based ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Where are you based? I have a few old PC's that still work. Mostly pentium 3s, one has a red mobo that would look good visible under glass.

corsav6 wrote: »
    Where are you based? I have a few old PC's that still work. Mostly pentium 3s, one has a red mobo that would look good visible under glass.

im based in kildare

Eldoco wrote: »
    Does the pc need to work as I will have an old pc case I no longer use

yes the pc has to be working but thanks for the offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

im based in kildare

Sorry, I'm based in the arse end of Mayo otherwise I'd gladly help you out.

corsav6 wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm based in the arse end of Mayo otherwise I'd gladly help you out.

its fine but thanks of the offer anyway :D

its fine but thanks of the offer anyway :D

Where in kildare ?

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Where in kildare ?

i live just on the outside of kildare town

i live just on the outside of kildare town

Monasterevin side ?

I have an old tower that's being thrown out if you want it I'm from monasterevin myself

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Monasterevin side ?

I have an old tower that's being thrown out if you want it I'm from monasterevin myself

thats sounds perfect any chance i can collect it this weekend

• Advertisement

thats sounds perfect any chance i can collect it this weekend

Yeah sure I can meet you in fitzpatrick's on the kildare road if you want I'll pm you my number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Buy a cheap second hand Dell - a decent Core 2 based one will sell for about 80 and would be fine as a day to day machine. I just bought one the other day for 70, E8400 dual core, 250GB hard drive, 2GB ram. When I added a 30 euro GT640 and another 2GB of ram for a tenner for a total of 110, it's actually even playing Alien Isolation, Skyrim, Shadow of Mordor and similar games well enough.

That way you have a decent functioning computer in your desk, to be honest using old scrap or old parts like Pentium 4's you're just gonna end up with a PC that'll struggle to do anything useful.

Buy a cheap second hand Dell - a decent Core 2 based one will sell for about 80 and would be fine as a day to day machine. I just bought one the other day for 70, E8400 dual core, 250GB hard drive, 2GB ram. When I added a 30 euro GT640 and another 2GB of ram for a tenner for a total of 110, it's actually even playing Alien Isolation, Skyrim, Shadow of Mordor and similar games well enough.

That way you have a decent functioning computer in your desk, to be honest using old scrap or old parts like Pentium 4's you're just gonna end up with a PC that'll struggle to do anything useful.

I agree

Just to add the hdd isn't in the tower

Advertisement