Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vaping effecting breathing

• 04-03-2015 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I've been on and off vaping since October. I started when I was getting less income and couldn't afford to buy a pack of smokes everyday.
    I end up going back to smoking after a few weeks using the ecig, and then get sick of the smokes and go back on the ecig.
    but I have noticed since about after Christmas that I'm finding it hard to breathe, especially at night lying down, and at random times during the day.

Has this happened to anyone before? I haven't used a different liquid since January and it still happens. I find the only positive thing about vaping is the cost, and I haven't had a chest infection in months.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

My capacity and ability to maintain a breath is way up although i felt kinda like you describe for about a week, I put it down to a chest infection or the body getting rid of the **** in my lungs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

I don't breathe as easy as if I didnt smoke or vape but far better than when I smoke. The few days i've smoked due to a problem with my setup Ive noticed the difference in my breathing almost instantly. Smoking clogs my lungs with crap very quickly.

Also when return to playing football after being out for a while, my natural fitness is much better than it was when i smoked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

op here, but when I smoked, I was able to run for a bus and able to catch my breath after a few seconds ..... now, I am left wheezing for about 15 minutes after :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Are you now vaping exclusively or still mixing the two? (and be honest!)
    Your lungs take up to a month to 'clear out' and its a big difference between dry smoke and wet vapour.
    Most smokers who try an eicg for the first time cough their lungs up because of this difference.
    Its a case of sticking to it and letting your body clean itself out.
    You'll also probably go through the whole phlegm stage. Nice.
    I don't personally know any vapers who have any such complaints after the initial adaptation period, and all of them report massive improvements in general welbeing.
    Finally, how good is your kit and have you got clean atomisers or replace the heating coils recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It'll be the clearing out as suggested. The smokes were killing me, I was gasping at night time, sometimes I'd even stop breathing in my sleep :/ and wake up gasping for air! That, was the final straw for me, and when I decided I need to quit. When I started vaping, which is the only way I could have quit tbh - zero willpower - for the first couple of months my lungs went through a few phases, they'd feel rough, or sore now and then, my breathing would be good one day and terrible the next .... I knew it was the withdrawal and come down off the smokes, not the vaping. After say 2 months, my breathing had improved a lot, and continued to do so as I kept vaping, and not so much as even inhaling passive smoke! Honestly, stick with it, maybe reduce the strength you're using and try higher VG liquids ... some don't get along with high PG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Didihno wrote:
    Are you now vaping exclusively or still mixing the two? (and be honest!) Your lungs take up to a month to 'clear out' and its a big difference between dry smoke and wet vapour. Most smokers who try an eicg for the first time cough their lungs up because of this difference. Its a case of sticking to it and letting your body clean itself out. You'll also probably go through the whole phlegm stage. Nice. I don't personally know any vapers who have any such complaints after the initial adaptation period, and all of them report massive improvements in general welbeing. Finally, how good is your kit and have you got clean atomisers or replace the heating coils recently?

I'm unfortunately mixing both, after about 3-4 weeks vaping I notice I get dehydrated after about 2 puffs, which worries me! And I would normally go more weeks on the ecig than smoking: like 4 weeks ecig; 5 days smoking, and then back on the ecig, but wouldn't mix both like in a day if that makes sense! And the phlegm stage doesn't happen when I vape.... only when I do smoke.
    and I've the 20W eleaf battery, and keep it as 3v (lowest setting).. not able for any higher without choking! and I've the eleaf clearomiser, and I change the coils every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭RIchieNouveau

SMJSF wrote: »
    and I've the 20W eleaf battery, and keep it as 3v (lowest setting).. not able for any higher without choking! and I've the eleaf clearomiser, and I change the coils every week.

I think the cagey one is correct. This sounds like more than just the clearcut stage from quitting smokes, especially since you're still smoking. The part I've quoted in particular leads me to think you've got an intolerance to PG. My dad and partner also can't inhale my liquids (typically 80%PG) without choking. There are some 100% VG juices available, hangsen do some very cheaply. Like 100ml for between 15 and 20 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

SMJSF wrote: »
    I'm unfortunately mixing both, after about 3-4 weeks vaping I notice I get dehydrated after about 2 puffs, which worries me! And I would normally go more weeks on the ecig than smoking: like 4 weeks ecig; 5 days smoking, and then back on the ecig, but wouldn't mix both like in a day if that makes sense! And the phlegm stage doesn't happen when I vape.... only when I do smoke.

I think you need to just bite the bullet and stop smoking completely. I was similar for a few weeks when I started vaping last year and to be honest the phrase "you're only fooling yourself" springs to mind.

You're body goes a bit mad in the first 4 weeks of not smoking. There's no set timeline for anything but ultimately if you can last 4 full weeks. You should be able to kick them entirely.

Your kit is fine plus you're actually changing the coils (some people don't at the start!). In regard to the temp that's v low actually you should be fine up at least 3.7v. As suggested maybe trying a few different juices, maybe a new tank as well. The Mini Nautilus or the kanger mega tank would be my suggestions.

I think the main thing is you need to start enjoy the vape sensation if you're still capable of going back to the smokes after 4 weeks off them. If you're based in Dublin maybe drop into the Vape Café on Capel St. and sample all the juices on offer there and see do any of them suit you better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Yeah, you need to get off the fence and bite the bullet. You're not giving yourself a chance and its pretty silly behaviour tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Gez69

On occasion I have times where it feels like I can't get enough air into my lungs and have to breath in very deeply to feel better. It's quite alarming and the main reason I gave up smoking two months ago. It stopped after that but I had it again the other day after a night of heavy vaping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Gez69 wrote: »
    On occasion I have times where it feels like I can't get enough air into my lungs and have to breath in very deeply to feel better. It's quite alarming and the main reason I gave up smoking two months ago. It stopped after that but I had it again the other day after a night of heavy vaping.

See a doctor is the best advice imo, just to make sure everything is ok.

Advertisement