Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Wireless Adapter for Desktop that works?

Options
  • 04-03-2015 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I'm really having a hard time finding either a good usb wireless adapter card(PCI-E) or a good USB wireless adapter for a desktop.

From my bedroom, my current laptop can connect to the wireless with a speed of 45Mbps according to speedtest.net. My older laptop could also connect at a reasonable speed.

Also from my bedroom, for the desktop, I tried two different TP-LINK PCI wireless adapters, they can't even connect to the router so I returned them.

I got a TP-LINK Mini N300 USB Wireless Adaptor today. It connects to the router. But the internet speed is terrible. on Speedtest, it get a speed of 0.28Mbps. I could return this and try other the other ones in Argos, but thought I would ask here first.

I would like a good recommendation of a wireless adapter for a desktop whether it is via USB or PCI express? If my laptop can connect at a reasonable speed from my room, why not a desktop?

I was using homeplugs or powerline adapters with the desktop but that's another problem.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

I was having a similar issue but in my case wifi strength was pitiful and speeds even worse. I went and bought a Netgear wifi extender, picked up a full strength signal from my router and then i connected my computer to the extender with a cat6 cable. pay for 120mb from upc..getting 70-85 download using this set up and have had no issues since i started using it

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

Nice one Paul. I may give that a shot next. What's the model number of your Netgear wi-fi extender?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

WN2000RPT..Picked it up in PC world for like 35e i think..cheap and cheerful

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Zerroth wrote: »

I got a TP-LINK Mini N300 USB Wireless Adaptor today. It connects to the router. But the internet speed is terrible. on Speedtest, it get a speed of 0.28Mbps. I could return this and try other the other ones in Argos, but thought I would ask here first.

FWIW, I bought that USB wireless adapter in Tesco when my laptop Wi-Fi started acting up, this is the result of a Speedtest I did just a few minutes ago off a UPC Horizon box ....

4189446492.png

Advertisement