Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence application question

Options
  • 04-03-2015 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm soon turning 16 and I have no trouble with the Garda and my father has no trouble with the Garda and has guns, but I'm wondering could I get a 22lr at 16?, but I live away from my father and have all the accessories I haven't applied for the training licence

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hi,

I'm soon turning 16 and I have no trouble with the Garda and my father has no trouble with the Garda and has guns, but I'm wondering could I get a 22lr at 16?, but I live away from my father and have all the accessories I haven't applied for the training licence

Thanks

Once you are 16 you are entitled to apply for a licence. The training licence is for people under 16 really. You don't need a training licence to apply for a full licence once you are 16.

You might be asked to provide proof of competency which means you might have to do a course.

What kind of shooting do you want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Yes at 16 you can get your own licence, you need to complete a safety course, get a safe and have permission from your parents to have the gun in the house etc.. other than either being a member of a club or having permission to shoot on farm land.
    You dont need a training licence, that is only really for people between the ages of 14 and 16 at 16 you can have a full licence. with the training licence you can only be in possession of the firearm under the supervision of the other licence holder.
    all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shooting101

juice1304 wrote: »
    Yes at 16 you can get your own licence, you need to complete a safety course, get a safe and have permission from your parents to have the gun in the house etc.. other than either being a member of a club or having permission to shoot on farm land.
    You dont need a training licence, that is only really for people between the ages of 14 and 16 at 16 you can have a full licence. with the training licence you can only be in possession of the firearm under the supervision of the other licence holder.
    all the best.
    Thanks I thought I could only get a shotgun when I was 16 and not a rifle is that correct?

Thanks for all the reply's!!

I'm mainly doing pest control around the place like birds(crows,magpies) and sometimes going hunting for rabbits around the place, I think a 22lr would be good for my needs..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thanks I thought I could only get a shotgun when I was 16 and not a rifle is that correct?

If you can show good reason you could, legally, go for a 50 caliber.

At 16 you are classed as an adult and can go for any gun, any caliber you want. You just need to show good reason for wanting it. Do this, talk to your Father as he'll be well able to guide you as a firearm owner, and you'll be grand.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the comments guys really appreciated!!
    Cheers

Advertisement