Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musgraves

Options
  • 04-03-2015 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking to go to Musgraves in Cork for a browse and possibly buy a few bulk food/drink items.

Does anyone know if you need a VAT number to just go in and browse?

Also, how do I get to the place?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

You need to have an account to shop at musgraves. To have an account you need to be involved in some business / enterprise.
    You don't need a vat number - in fact the people at reception are very friendly and I imagine they would help you in every way.

Check their website or give them a ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

can you just walk in and have a look around before signing up?

Not really. As you go in there is a desk straight in front of you and you give the person your account number to enter. Same as every cash and carry, they don't encourage ordinary members of the public.

I get you. Is there a fee to register?

yes.

• Advertisement

BTW - you may not find it cheaper than shopping in your local supermarket !! Keep a close eye on prices.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

just add the VAT to the prices you see on the shelf.
    In effect you'll be charged 20 whatever % on top of the price you expect t pay.
    It can get expensive very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

donalh087 wrote: »
    BTW - you may not find it cheaper than shopping in your local supermarket !! Keep a close eye on prices.

I'd second this.
    They usually have a couple of catalogues online as well. Might be of some use to you.
    Have you asked around your family to see if anyone has a card? You might get lucky.

54kroc wrote: »
    I'd second this.
    They usually have a couple of catalogues online as well. Might be of some use to you.
    Have you asked around your family to see if anyone has a card? You might get lucky.

Uncle owns a hotel, and has a card. Will a number do or would I need the physical card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

You can join if you are from an organization. I told them I was a minister at the church of the FSM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Uncle owns a hotel, and has a card. Will a number do or would I need the physical card?
    Just the number normally, though I've heard of people being stopped. I use a family member's account, they're an employee of Musgrave Group so 10% discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rightofwayed

donalh087 wrote: »
    yes.

There is no fee to join Musgraves. It is a cash and carry for retailers/clubs/business's etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

No trade place can allow members of the public to purchase - so you need to show that you trade in some form, even if you are on the committee of a sports club. (this is a plannig stipulation in addition to normal business practice)

There's no fee to join.

However, by buying bulk you will tend to use item quicker, they will go out of date and on top of all that, the savings are not substantial.
    On branded goods, most retailers will only have 10% - 20% margin, so unless you really know you will use the good quickly, its not worth it.

I use them for a cafe I have ina premises and I would rarely buy for personal use with the exception of loo roll / pet 's food - and that's because they are bulky items and I would tend ot eb in the van when I'm there rather than for any savings to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rightofwayed

delahuntv wrote: »
    No trade place can allow members of the public to purchase - so you need to show that you trade in some form, even if you are on the committee of a sports club. (this is a plannig stipulation in addition to normal business practice)

There's no fee to join.

However, by buying bulk you will tend to use item quicker, they will go out of date and on top of all that, the savings are not substantial.
    On branded goods, most retailers will only have 10% - 20% margin, so unless you really know you will use the good quickly, its not worth it.

I use them for a cafe I have ina premises and I would rarely buy for personal use with the exception of loo roll / pet 's food - and that's because they are bulky items and I would tend ot eb in the van when I'm there rather than for any savings to be had.

Agreed its good for household items like kitchen towels, loo roll, pet food, fire lighters, washing up powder and washing up liquid, other than that....

Advertisement