Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1K per sqm or 2k - What's the expected difference?

Options
  • 04-03-2015 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm considering an extension in a house in Dublin and have been told to budget at least 1k per sqm for a basic builders finish, or 2k for a pretty high end finish.

Thing is, and this might sound weird, but I can't really get an idea of what those figures actually mean.

For example I would like bi-fold doors in my extension but have been told that the 2k finish would not include those. Nor would it include a kitchen, so that leaves me wondering what it does include and why not just go for the 1k finish if I'm going to have to put the doors and kitchen in myself? This isn't a big area, less than 40sqm for the extension and nothing unusual in the proposed design.

Does it include more 'stuff' than a 1k finish or better 'stuff'? Are we talking flooring (tiles etc.)? Flooring isn't hugely important to me, I would sooner have the bi-fold doors than some exclusive brand of tiles!

Basically is it superficial things or are we talking about fundamental, structural differences that makes up the difference in these estimates?

I know we're only talking theoretical with the two figures but I'm finding it hard to think of what one includes that the other doesn't.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bi-fold doors can be anything from €1200 plus vat per panel.
    They will be an extra on most jobs unless specified before hand so the builder can include them in the quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bangley

kceire wrote: »
    Bi-fold doors can be anything from €1200 plus vat per panel.
    They will be an extra on most jobs unless specified before hand so the builder can include them in the quote.

Thanks, I realise this now, but I'm trying to figure out what people consider to be the actual differences between the types of finishes. With current building regs requiring builds to be B1 or better, I don't know what people mean with a higher level of finish or how the cost could be double.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

bangley wrote: »
    Thanks, I realise this now, but I'm trying to figure out what people consider to be the actual differences between the types of finishes. With current building regs requiring builds to be B1 or better, I don't know what people mean with a higher level of finish or how the cost could be double.

It's the difference between white deal skirting, architraves and doors etc and having solid oak ones that kinda thing. Run of the mill ironmongery and lighting to more expensive types.

Bi fold doors would be considered outside of this because they are such a high cost item. Fact is if you want a real answer you need to take a spec and a sketch to a QS. Ask em for a BOQ. You'll get one within +-5% accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

There is a whole world of items that can cause the difference including ground conditions, shape, amount of glazing & material selection (the main one).

To be honest the cost per m2 idea is a loose budget for guidance and has no actual relevance to end cost. There are very few if any projects that we work on that come in finished at an average cost per m2 as every house is different. you have to remember that in alot of cases the existing house shape and layout will dictate the shape and size of an extension and the existing house may end costing more to refurbish than the extension.

In order to get an acurite cost you need to do a detailed schedule and have your project actually costed as opposed to "budget average costs"

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Don't forget to ask for the watertightness spec for your bi-fold doors (BS EN 12208). Some makes are not suitable if the location is subject to driving wind/rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 bangley

Thanks guys, it's a bit clearer now.

Advertisement