Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2015 Season Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Christ almighty the mets go up 7-1 in the 4th and it's now 7-6 in the 8th. Jaysus lads.

Never mind the score today (even if they complete the implosion), the bigger disaster is Blevins and d'Arnaud both fracturing their arms today. Huge losses, both of them. Blevins hadn't allowed any of the 13 batters he faced in relief to reach base and d'Arnaud has been hitting quite well this first 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Exciting bottom of the ninth on right now in Seattle against Texas.

Tied at 10. Bottom of the ninth. Bases loaded. 2 outs.

...And then boom, the Mariners win it.

I was just watching Cincinatti vs St.Louis on ESPN and they have this awful graphic of the strike zone superimposed over the live action. Its not just for replays but is there for every single pitch. Horrible. Anyone else notice this on ESPN? I hadnt noticed before because local games are on Fox Sports.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I was just watching Cincinatti vs St.Louis on ESPN and they have this awful graphic of the strike zone superimposed over the live action. Its not just for replays but is there for every single pitch. Horrible. Anyone else notice this on ESPN? I hadnt noticed before because local games are on Fox Sports.

I don't like it either. We were discussing this around opening day on here and some hated it but others liked it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:eek: Woman hit in the back of the head with baseball in Pittsburgh, big delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

What's better than a grand slam?.......TWO grand slams!

What's better than a grand slam?.......TWO grand slams!

Maybe a manager having a meltdown is a way to spur an offence into action? Seems to have done the job in this case.

Maybe a manager having a meltdown is a way to spur an offence into action? Seems to have done the job in this case.

A couple of years ago, the Reds were on a losing streak when Brandon Phillips berated a reporter (the same reporter)....and the reds went on a 10&2 run.

Of course it may be more to do with playing the worst team in baseball.

:eek: Woman hit in the back of the head with baseball in Pittsburgh, big delay.

Ow.

Right behind home plate. SHe really shold have been paying a little more attention though but she was heading for a seat.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/woman-hit-by-foul-ball-at-pirates-game-raises-questions-about-fan-safety-175519833.html

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Ow.

Right behind home plate. SHe really shold have been paying a little more attention though but she was heading for a seat.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/woman-hit-by-foul-ball-at-pirates-game-raises-questions-about-fan-safety-175519833.html

That looked sore alright. There are normally signs all over the place warning you to keep your eye on the game at all times as bats and balls can leave the field of play. Unfortunate timing for this woman.

• Advertisement

That looked sore alright. There are normally signs all over the place warning you to keep your eye on the game at all times as bats and balls can leave the field of play. Unfortunate timing for this woman.

There's a combination of the backstop giving a false sense of security.....and another possible contribution is the fact that the occupants of those seats very often aren't baseball people.

Nice 1-2-3 inning from Ike Davis for the Athletics last night. Always interesting seeing a position player throw an inning or two in a lost cause game and Davis got 3 groundouts and only had to throw 9 pitches to get out of the inning.

Nice 1-2-3 inning from Ike Davis for the Athletics last night. Always interesting seeing a position player throw an inning or two in a lost cause game and Davis got 3 groundouts and only had to throw 9 pitches to get out of the inning.

At that rate, he'll be challenging for the closer role. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mmarch2

What inning is the brawl gonna break out between the Orioles and the Blue Jays tonight?

Between Darren O'Day and Jose Bautista's antics for the past few years and Jose Bautista's bush league last night, the possible tampering over the off season when Blue Jays tried to acquire Dan Duquette and lastly, Machado's beef with Josh Donaldson (A's last year) there's all sorts of bad blood.

I expect warnings to be given before the first pitch is thrown.. Jones will get plunked tonight and it's gonna be all bad news from there.

mmarch2 wrote: »
    What inning is the brawl gonna break out between the Orioles and the Blue Jays tonight?

Between Darren O'Day and Jose Bautista's antics for the past few years and Jose Bautista's bush league last night, the possible tampering over the off season when Blue Jays tried to acquire Dan Duquette and lastly, Machado's beef with Josh Donaldson (A's last year) there's all sorts of bad blood.

I expect warnings to be given before the first pitch is thrown.. Jones will get plunked tonight and it's gonna be all bad news from there.

Eventful past week or so on the brawl front anyway. Where's Brian McCann to sort everyone out when you need him?

Love the early evening games.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Madame_Diem

Folks, any Mets fans here. Do you think this run will last?

Yeah, big Mets fan here. Delighted with the start but I've been burnt too many times before with this team to get too excited. It's also way too early to start thinking that they're a serious team as it's such a small sample size. Although a 10 game win streak is a great achievement even against poor teams but that's all they've played on this streak.

But wins are wins and better being 12-3 than 5-10 or whatever but the injuries are going to catch up with them sooner or later. I know management took a lot of grief in the off-season for not trading for a shortstop and defensively, Flores is poor but keeping the depth intact has proven to be a wise move, considering how many players are on the DL already.

But I like the attitude of the team this year. They probably have more come from behind wins already than they did in the whole of last season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yes and what run ? Shhhhh let's not jink it for jaysus sake.

• Advertisement

We should be getting higher scoring games citi field this year as they have moved in centre and right center walls, it was one of the most pitcher friendly parks last few years.

Yes and what run ? Shhhhh let's not jink it for jaysus sake.

Looks like the jinx has started! What the hell was Murph thinking there?

EDIT - And now Flores gets picked off second. What have you done Madame Diem.....??????

Almost a full bottle of wine gone since the start of the yankees game:D

Looks like the jinx has started! What the hell was Murph thinking there?

EDIT - And now Flores gets picked off second. What have you done Madame Diem.....??????

Not watching it live but getting update. I did see colon run and tag a runner.

Not watching it live but getting update. I did see colon run and tag a runner.

Not as funny as one of his at-bats or running to first base but still quite comical. I think the runner froze because there was a very large man running slowly at him with a ball in his glove.

Ugly game today, mistakes from both sides but nice to get the win. Should be a good series agains the Yankees this weekend as they seem to be hitting a bit of form too, including taking 3 out of 4 in Detroit.

Not as funny as one of his at-bats or running to first base but still quite comical. I think the runner froze because there was a very large man running slowly at him with a ball in his glove.

Ugly game today, mistakes from both sides but nice to get the win. Should be a good series agains the Yankees this weekend as they seem to be hitting a bit of form too, including taking 3 out of 4 in Detroit.

Kept up to date with the scores but colon just ambled off the mound and yeah I think the runner was like "how is he moving at that pace ?"

Also, If you told me this time that last year that in a year that A-rod would be one of the best Yankee players early in the season I'd have told you you were mad.

• Advertisement

Should be a good series agains the Yankees this weekend as they seem to be hitting a bit of form too, including taking 3 out of 4 in Detroit.

In fairness they were very lucky in 2 of those games e.g prices meltdown last night over 50 pitches in the first inning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

In fairness they were very lucky in 2 of those games e.g prices meltdown last night over 50 pitches in the first inning.

Price had a meltdown last year against the Yankees. It's not luck if it happens two times in a row!

Ventura and the Royals at it again last night.

Ventura and the Royals at it again last night.

Ventura needs to grow up fast......does he honestly think that batters are intentionally hitting the ball at him.....this is twice in 3 starts that he's reacted to a ball back to the mound.

Ventura needs to grow up fast......does he honestly think that batters are intentionally hitting the ball at him.....this is twice in 3 starts that he's reacted to a ball back to the mound.

Exactly.

If hitters could aim at him, he'd be in full body armour at this stage because everyone would be looking to hit it back at him. He was totally out of order last night. Pity we'll have to wait to inter league play to see if anyone throws at him when he bats.

• Advertisement

Exactly.

If hitters could aim at him, he'd be in full body armour at this stage because everyone would be looking to hit it back at him. He was totally out of order last night. Pity we'll have to wait to inter league play to see if anyone throws at him when he bats.

If batters had that much control, everyone would be batting way over 300

If batters had that much control, everyone would be batting way over 300

It was a bit like Roger Clemens thinking that Piazza had intentionally broken his bat in his direction. More or less just looking for any excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Kris Bryant hits his first HR in the majors tonight, you heard it here first ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Exactly.

Royals play the NL Central inter league this season. The Cards have been involved in a few rucks in recent seasons. I'm sure he gets plunked in his first at bat if he pitches in that series....

8-10 wrote: »
    Kris Bryant hits his first HR in the majors tonight, you heard it here first ;)

No luck! Oh well

No luck! Oh well

I hope you didn't have any money on it.

I hope you didn't have any money on it.

Couldn't find any odds for it so no. Home run odds are always shocking. He was quoted at 3/1 for his debut! That's the odds of getting a hit.

I was just going on the fact that Leake has been pretty hittable this year giving 2HR's up against the Cubs in the previous game, and being in Reds ballpark which is notoriously hitter friendly. Very shallow outfield so when you have an extreme fly ball power hitter like Bryant who's FB rate is 38% this season so far (and was over 50% at Triple A lay season) you have to think that if he gets good contact he's going to have a good chance of making it.

Wasnt to be!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Josh Hamilton officially traded to the Rangers....I hope he kills it again in Texas.

Oriels white Sox game scheduled for tonight has been postponed after Major League Baseball talked with Baltimore police. The funeral of that guy who was shot and killed took place earlier and it's all kicked off in Baltimore.

Oriels white Sox game scheduled for tonight has been postponed after Major League Baseball talked with Baltimore police. The funeral of that guy who was shot and killed took place earlier and it's all kicked off in Baltimore.

Wonder what's going to happen the rest of the week. There's a curfew in place and they're at home for 4 more games.

• Advertisement

Wonder what's going to happen the rest of the week. There's a curfew in place and they're at home for 4 more games.

Doubt any of them will go ahead

That's a good question and at least last nights game will have to be played at some point and I haven't the schedule in front of me but it will probably have to be an off day for both teams so logistically it will be a mess.

Doubt any of them will go ahead

Yeah not looking very good as the curfew is in place until the 4th of May unless lifted by the major.

On Deadspin it says they're looking into the possibility of playing them at Nationals Park as the Nats are on the road this week and it's only about an hour away. Don't know how likely that is to happen though.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12778578/madison-bumgarner-rejects-max-scherzer-assertion-national-league-adopt-designated-hitter

Nice dig at Scherzer by Bumgarner over the DH. He's 100% right too. He knew what he was signing up for.

Unfortunately with Wainright going down while batting, the talk of introducing the DH in the NL has come up again and the end of the pitcher batting could be getting nearer.

As long as Bartolo Colon is pitching for an NL team, I hope we never get the DH.

NL should just bite the bullet and add the DH. I can't understand why you'd want to keep it as it is

On Deadspin it says they're looking into the possibility of playing them at Nationals Park as the Nats are on the road this week and it's only about an hour away. Don't know how likely that is to happen though.

No game today. I would be surprised if they don't move it for tomorrow.

NL should just bite the bullet and add the DH. I can't understand why you'd want to keep it as it is

It makes the manager make a decision on whether to keep a pitcher in or take him out for a pinch hitter late in the game and I like that. It makes it more interesting. You never get that at an AL ballpark.

It makes the manager make a decision on whether to keep a pitcher in or take him out for a pinch hitter late in the game and I like that. It makes it more interesting. You never get that at an AL ballpark.

Watching pitchers bat is not interesting in the slightest to me. Even the best of them struggle to bat over .250 in a season. I'm glad you don't get that in the AL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Watching pitchers bat is not interesting in the slightest to me. Even the best of them struggle to bat over .250 in a season. I'm glad you don't get that in the AL.

But if pitchers didn't bat then you wouldn't get to see Bartolo Colon bat and that alone is worth keeping DHing out of NL.

Also, plenty of position players struggle to hit over .250 also (and even some DHs) - should we stop them batting too and just have 9 DHs instead?

Advertisement