Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2015 Season Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hopefully not a jinx as it's an honest question but Estrada's perfect through 7 but Toronto haven't gotten him a run yet so if he goes 9 (he's thrown 90 pitches so far) but the game goes to extras, that doesn't count as a perfect game does it?

Wow, Josh Donaldson just dived into the 2nd row to get the first out of the 8th.

EDIT - But he fails to make the play on the next guy so perfect game gone. To be fair it was a tough play to make. Now Estrada has top worry about not getting the loss here as the offence have done nothing for him so far!

This is a great game by the way. i love 0-0 baseball with both pitchers giving up nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Waitsian

This is a great game by the way. i love 0-0 baseball with both pitchers giving up nothing.

I was watching it myself. Nerve-wracking stuff. Pity about the end of the no-no (his second near attempt in a row!) but at least he got the win. He's been a great pick-up from the Brewers.

The Donaldson play was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Anyone else watching Astros @ Angels? 1-1 heading for the 10th. Enjoyable game so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mets three outs from getting a win leading the Brewers 2-0 middle 9th. Ive not seen many live games the last month other then highlights of the Mets and others but watching tonight.

Mets halt the seven game losing streak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Mets halt the seven game losing streak.

De Gromme has been excellent looks a true ace this season, still very young

Mets three outs from getting a win leading the Brewers 2-0 middle 9th. Ive not seen many live games the last month other then highlights of the Mets and others but watching tonight.

You're lucky. the Mets have been awful. Well the pitching has been alright but they can't hit to save their lives. They've scored about 10 runs in the last 10 games. Changes needed badly and needed soon!

De Gromme has been excellent looks a true ace this season, still very young

He's a bit underrated too. All the talk in NY is about Harvey but DeGrom is actually pitching much better this season. It might be a bit of a leap on my part but I wouldn't put him too far behind the Scherzer, Kershaw etc. either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

He's a bit underrated too. All the talk in NY is about Harvey but DeGrom is actually pitching much better this season. It might be a bit of a leap on my part but I wouldn't put him too far behind the Scherzer, Kershaw etc. either.

He has a long way to go re Sherzer , Kershaw, Ceuto but he is top quality.

Your right as well the NY media is obsessed with Harvey but DeGrom is the true ace on your staff right now. Ye need to make some moves for some bats , surely enough teams struggling now as well to get some big ones on cheap enough deals

He has a long way to go re Sherzer , Kershaw, Ceuto but he is top quality.

Your right as well the NY media is obsessed with Harvey but DeGrom is the true ace on your staff right now. Ye need to make some moves for some bats , surely enough teams struggling now as well to get some big ones on cheap enough deals

Talking of starting pitching, are your lads in Washington ever going to give up a run again?

Talking of starting pitching, are your lads in Washington ever going to give up a run again?

Well Sherzer throws tonight .. so .. I dunno!

Honestly the run has been immense, this is what was envisaged pre season so it's exciting.

There is actual thinking that Sherzer could go all the way again tonight, that's how good the guy is, he inspires ridiculous expectations!

Well Sherzer throws tonight .. so .. I dunno!

Honestly the run has been immense, this is what was envisaged pre season so it's exciting.

There is actual thinking that Sherzer could go all the way again tonight, that's how good the guy is, he inspires ridiculous expectations!

I know you need a lot of luck to go perfect as you get bloop singles and broken bat shots dropping in but if you were ever going to put money on one, Scherzer against the God awful Phillies tonight would be the night to do it.

I know you need a lot of luck to go perfect as you get bloop singles and broken bat shots dropping in but if you were ever going to put money on one, Scherzer against the God awful Phillies tonight would be the night to do it.

Yeah I agree it's almost too perfect a match up. But Franco and Howard are swinging hot bats , tonight will be tough, Philly are better at home.

Honestly though I didn't think Sherzer is as good as he is maybe it was just me not paying enough attention to Detroit's pitching but the guy is a beast.

Yeah I agree it's almost too perfect a match up. But Franco and Howard are swinging hot bats , tonight will be tough, Philly are better at home.

Honestly though I didn't think Sherzer is as good as he is maybe it was just me not paying enough attention to Detroit's pitching but the guy is a beast.

What I like about him is his speed. He's just gets the ball and throws it. None of this wasting time between pitches. Nothing worse than watching a pitcher take an age between each pitch.

What I like about him is his speed. He's just gets the ball and throws it. None of this wasting time between pitches. Nothing worse than watching a pitcher take an age between each pitch.

Yeah agree there, Fister is the same. Get it throw it and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Cliff Lee is the master of this. Very quick decision-making between pitches. Miss watching him, hope he comes back

8-10 wrote: »
    Cliff Lee is the master of this. Very quick decision-making between pitches. Miss watching him, hope he comes back

One of my good mates is a Phillies fan and they seem to be 90% certain he is going to retire.

He was immense at his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Seattle Mariners who were a sure shot for the World Series according to the simulations have quietly slipped to last place in AL West behind Oakland A's who are getting it together and have won 5 in a row.

• Advertisement

Well he made a good stab at it anyway. Complete domination again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Met's rookie Syndegaard looks like he's starting to figure it out. Necessary when your team only scores 1 or 2 runs per game.

And, at least the Phillies got rid of their manager. Mets need to clean house esp. the ownership (unlikely) or GM (enough already with rebuilding - fans want wins, not promises.)

Igotadose wrote: »
    Met's rookie Syndegaard looks like he's starting to figure it out. Necessary when your team only scores 1 or 2 runs per game.

And, at least the Phillies got rid of their manager. Mets need to clean house esp. the ownership (unlikely) or GM (enough already with rebuilding - fans want wins, not promises.)

I think the Phillies manager resigned as opposed to them getting rid of him. I don't think their poor record could be put on him anyway. Their roster is terrible.

Same issue with the Mets, awful roster. Offensively anyway. I know they've been obliterated with injuries but every team has injuries and it's about how you deal with it and the Mets have had no plan B. I agree a complete clean house is needed (including Alderson) but that's never going to happen. The last GM (Minaya) got chased out because of some awful signings he made but all this young pitching that's now coming through was drafted on his watch, including the next man up Matz who I'm looking forward to seeing tomorrow.

Only 2 hits again last night and I know they got the win but that's not sustainable so they really need to get bat. Apparently they're something like 20-5 when they score more than 3 runs but they're only 1 win over .500 so it shows what a team they could be. And getting 4 runs isn't asking a lot in fairness.

I'd love to see them bring up the one of either Nimmo or Conforto who are tearing up AA and give them a shot. Management are reluctant to do it because they feel they aren't ready but when what you're putting out there is scoring on average less than 2 runs a game, what ave you got to lose? Throw them in and if they stink, so what. Send them back down until they are ready.

Broken bone in the hand for Stanton apparently. That could put him out for a while.

EDIT- Talk of possible fire sale by Marlins if he's out a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Broken bone in the hand for Stanton apparently. That could put him out for a while.

Man, that's a real shame. :(

He's got Irish roots apparently.

I'd trade for Stanton in a minute, broken bone or not. What a hitter. There was a rumor about Adam Jones from BAL as well, I remember watching him as a Mariner and even though he hadn't figured it out yet, occasionally he'd hit a massive home run at Safeco or someplace like Skydome. Not sure if he's still the same player, but with Lagares needing to be DL'd because of the elbow, he'd make a great acquisition.

Not like Baltimore's selling.

Wilpon(zis) are broke, MLB is backing them up, so they're not going anywhere. MLB forced McCourt to sell the Dodgers and he was pretty slimey, Wilpons dealing multiple times with Ponzi schemes - Madoff wasn't the first - seem outright criminal.

Did you see the article, Fred Wilpon's on the MLB finance committee?
    Laughable if it wasn't so sad.

I'd trade for Stanton in a minute, broken bone or not. What a hitter. There was a rumor about Adam Jones from BAL as well, I remember watching him as a Mariner and even though he hadn't figured it out yet, occasionally he'd hit a massive home run at Safeco or someplace like Skydome. Not sure if he's still the same player, but with Lagares needing to be DL'd because of the elbow, he'd make a great acquisition.

Not like Baltimore's selling.

Wilpon(zis) are broke, MLB is backing them up, so they're not going anywhere. MLB forced McCourt to sell the Dodgers and he was pretty slimey, Wilpons dealing multiple times with Ponzi schemes - Madoff wasn't the first - seem outright criminal.

Did you see the article, Fred Wilpon's on the MLB finance committee?
    Laughable if it wasn't so sad.

Well any trade the Marlins do isn't going to include Stanton of course. Every team in baseball would bite the hand off the Marlins if he was ever put up for trade although the $300m would be an issue for some. Not gonna happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Well any trade the Marlins do isn't going to include Stanton of course. Every team in baseball would bite the hand off the Marlins if he was ever put up for trade although the $300m would be an issue for some. Not gonna happen though.

I'm not so sure they would. The $300 million would be a massive issue for some. Even the Yankees are passing on 10+ year contacts now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Chris Tillman was 13-6 last year with a 3.34 ERA. Stats for 2013 were largely similar

Ok nobody was saying he was an ace but he was the best SP on the team. This year 5-7 and 6.22 ERA :confused:

• Advertisement

The mets win after 13 innings in the game that was suspended yesterday. So nearly a full day and the next one is starting at half nine our time.

The mets win after 13 innings in the game that was suspended yesterday. So nearly a full day and the next one is starting at half nine our time.

Did you watch it? I watched it all and felt like pulling my hair out so many times. 0-15 with RISP. Awful stuff. If only Grandy had caught that easy fly ball yesterday, we could have saved ourselves from the ineptitude today. Bullpen's probably done though, only Leathersitch and Gilmartin didn't pitch so unless they bring in Niese, they'd better hope Matz doesn't get knocked about in his debut or God knows who'll end up pitching.

Having said all that the Reds were just as bad and their bullpen's probably spent too. And for once, a team ended up committing more errors than the Mets.

I watched it all and felt like pulling my hair out so many times. 0-15 with RISP. Awful stuff.

God, that is appalling. Glad I missed it.

Going to switch on the Rockies @ Giants in a while on the television. Watching the end of the Yankees @ Astros and the Astros are wining 3-1 at the bottom of the 8th. Went to a few Astro games at the start of the season when they were awful and my trip there seems to have resulted in a huge improvement for them. That is what I am telling the people I know in Houston anyway. :) Hooked on them now, I have to admit.

And Matz gives up a HR to the first batter he faces in the majors. That run's probably enough to get the win for the Reds.

EDIT - Buts gets it back with an RBI double scoring two runs. That's it for my commentary tonight you'll all be glad to hear.

Astros get the win, 1-3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When did the Astros go from zeros to heroes? Top of the division I see

I watched the good Ubaldo today. Went 8 innings, no runs allowed and got the win.

Maybe he will have a super 2015, looks that way

• Advertisement

Did you watch it? I watched it all and felt like pulling my hair out so many times. 0-15 with RISP. Awful stuff. If only Grandy had caught that easy fly ball yesterday, we could have saved ourselves from the ineptitude today. Bullpen's probably done though, only Leathersitch and Gilmartin didn't pitch so unless they bring in Niese, they'd better hope Matz doesn't get knocked about in his debut or God knows who'll end up pitching.

Having said all that the Reds were just as bad and their bullpen's probably spent too. And for once, a team ended up committing more errors than the Mets.

Watched the game yesterday and a bit of it today. It was 0-9 when the game was suspended yesterday.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    When did the Astros go from zeros to heroes? Top of the division I see

As I said before, I was in Houston and went to see them against the As at the start of the season. They were awful in the first two games of the three game series but managed to sneak a win in the third. All the fans I spoke to expected that to be the theme for the season but they seem to have hit a hot streak and I think the other teams in the division haven't been at their best. Being top of the division coming up to the break wasn't on the cards.

Glad to see the Astros doing well for a change. Downtrodden team for so long, always a warm place in my heart after my Mets. Guess it's because they came into the league at the same time.

Rookie Matz lit it up yesterday, 4 RBI, 3 hits, wow. Pitched well, too. If he could only play every day...

Does everyone use MLB.TV out here to watch games online? Kind of pricey, holding off to the postseason...

Does everyone use MLB.TV out here to watch games online? Kind of pricey, holding off to the postseason...

Well worth the money though. Games every day, no blackouts. It really is great imo and i'd really miss it if I didn't have it.

Glad to see the Astros doing well for a change. Downtrodden team for so long

I'm kind of torn on the Astros. Like you, I love seeing teams come good and I love watching them now that they're competitive but I don't like seeing tanking getting rewarded. The Astros for years had a payroll less than what A-Rod is getting paid and almost set out to lose 100+ games year after year so they could get a lot of high draft picks.

It still takes skill to nurture and develop prospects so I'd admire them for what they've done in that regard and their decision to be embarrassingly crap for years has paid off so fair play but I'm not sure I agree with it.

At least be like our Mets and be crap for years while still trying....!!!!!

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    Astros get the win, 1-3.

Nice little inside the park homer as well!

I don't usually pay much attention to the Home Run Derby at the All Star Game (kind of bores me a bit to be honest) but interesting that they're adding a timed element to it this year. I probably still won't watch but at least they're trying to make it interesting.

Nice little inside the park homer as well!

Was actually scored a double and he scored on a fielding error

Correa has been pretty damn impressive since he came up, the rookies this year are ridiculous, could easily have 4 or 5 equally deserving of the Jackie Robinson award

Yeah I saw that. It was still funny though. Definitely a home town call by the scorer giving him the double though. I'd have it as an E7 or E8 the whole way.

Yeah I saw that. It was still funny though. Definitely a home town call by the scorer giving him the double though. I'd have it as an E7 or E8 the whole way.

Well it was definitely at least a single, he didn't reach first on the error but yeah touch and go on the double.

Correa has been pretty damn impressive since he came up, the rookies this year are ridiculous, could easily have 4 or 5 equally deserving of the Jackie Robinson award

Correa has been the top prospect since being drafted almost. Quality player. Does it count as a hit when it should have been caught? Just looked like an error to me.

Well it was definitely at least a single, he didn't reach first on the error but yeah touch and go on the double.

I don't think he even deserved a single to be honest. If there was any sort of communication between the 2 outfielders it would have been routine fly ball out. It's not like any great ground had to be covered to catch it.

It was definitely the LF's ball so I don't know why the CF just didn't go into the backup position and leave him at it as opposed to confusing things.

Either way, error, single or double are only stats. The result's the same. Great seeing someone sprint around the bases like Correa did though.

EDIT - ignore this post. Talking rubbish as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Making the most of their trip to Petco Park!

I don't think he even deserved a single to be honest. If there was any sort of communication between the 2 outfielders it would have been routine fly ball out. It's not like any great ground had to be covered to catch it.

It was definitely the LF's ball so I don't know why the CF just didn't go into the backup position and leave him at it as opposed to confusing things.

Either way, error, single or double are only stats. The result's the same. Great seeing someone sprint around the bases like Correa did though.

I love hustle and Correa is the epitome of it on this play to be fair to him. A lot of players would have been barely making second even on the error. So what you make of the Mets now Jack? looking like a team that could make a playoff run this year!

Correa has been the top prospect since being drafted almost. Quality player. Does it count as a hit when it should have been caught? Just looked like an error to me.

Has been a controversial subject in the past, it's generally scored as a hit, however on occasion does get scored as just an error - in general the ball has to be touched for the fielder to be charged with an error however the rules state that it is not necessary for it to be touched so it does happen it's just very very rare (happened last year to Ortiz v Darvish during a perfect game bid - scored as an error on the night then MLB overturned it after the game and awarded a hit)

Had it flied out to a single outfielder and just allowed to drop with no touch then I'd agree it's more likely an error (though would usually still be scored a hit), however falling between 2 players and neither of them touching it for me that's both a hit and an error. You can argue that as the rules say the outfielder could ordinarily catch that ball, however when you put into account the other outfielder coming in you're kind of crediting the hitter with hitting it into a location where it's difficult for both outfielders to call if you know what I mean. So in that way he in a way deserves the hit, however I definitely don't think he deserves the home run to be awarded. So it's bizarre, but I'm ok with it being a hit and advancing base on error, single or double is at the discretion of the scorer, we'll see if the MLB take a look retrospectively and rule a scoring adjustment

• Advertisement
Advertisement