Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing ASUS Geforce GTX 750TI In Acer Predator 3620 - Can't Boot Anymore...

Options
  • 04-03-2015 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

A few days ago my OEM Geforce GT-645 stopped working. I had a friend try the card and confirm that it wasn't working for him either. I went online and found the Geforce GTX 750TI as a cheap(ish) replacement.

I have an Acer Predator 3620. Everything is stock. The powersupply is a LiteOn and it claims to support 500w.

When I put the new card it, it looks good. The Acer logo appears on the screen and the familiar text saying 'Press Del to enter Bios. Press f12 for Boot Menu' (or something similar) appears.

But then nothing happens. After about 30 seconds the motherboard will beep once. And after another 30 seconds, it will beep again. Then, after 30 more seconds, the screen goes black (but it doesn't reboot. It just sits there).

If I press 'del' to enter Setup - it will say 'Entering BIOS....' but it never gets past that point.

I've tried re-seating the card and using a different 6-pin connector from the PSU - but it doesn't help in the slightest. I found some threads online saying that I needed to disable 'Secure Boot' - no luck though - my BIOS has no such options (I watched the YouTube video and everything, it really isn't there). I went to Acer's website and I have the most recent BIOS version it will let me install.

Can anyone help me?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Can you reset the bios on the motherboard by moving a jumper pin? I would try that or take out the battery for a few minutes. Check the bios is up to date too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I had a similar pain in the arse situation with a HP machine, it wouldn't accept anything past GTX 6 cards or Radeon HD7 cards. Those worked fine....but installing a GTX750, it just wouldn't work (there actually was a bizarre workaround I found on a HP forum, when you hit certain keys, wait 30 seconds, hit more keys, then it eventually boots....). Bios issue, and there were no updates available for the board, so I had to settle with a GTX650 in the end.

Could find in your case that 6 series card will work, so something like a second hand GTX650 shouldn't set you back more than about 70 and would actually be a decent upgrade as well. If you're actually looking for a proper upgrade rather than a replacement, you could think about GTX660/670 class cards. Even just a GTX650Ti would be a big improvement on a GT645 (and not too far off a GTX750)

Be sure first of all though that the card isn't faulty, and it's not a bios option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Hal1 wrote: »
    Can you reset the bios on the motherboard by moving a jumper pin? I would try that or take out the battery for a few minutes. Check the bios is up to date too.

Thanks - I did the reset, first with the card out, then again with the card in. Doesn't seem to make any difference :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

If you have a spare hard drive try do a clean install of windows. Recently had a raedon 280 that just refused to work with my install of windows but worked with a clean install

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you have a spare hard drive try do a clean install of windows. Recently had a raedon 280 that just refused to work with my install of windows but worked with a clean install

Nothing to do with Windows. He can't even get into the bios menu.

• Advertisement
Advertisement