Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience with Openwrt install on modem/router

• 05-03-2015 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi,

I had recently to change my wireless modem/router due to a thunder spike that have broken the old one.
    I bought a TP-LINK TD-W8970 as my line is ADSL only.
    As I run Linux Fedora 21, 2 features are not available for me:
    - Printer server to share my USB printer through network
    - Storage server to share USB HDD/stick through network.

I was thinking to install Openwrt firmware in the W8970 to get these feature but the process is not very clear and looks a bit risky.
    So before starting I'd be glade to get some information:
    Do you have any experience with that?
    How was the process?
    Any bug, everything working well?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

To be fair the process doesn't seem that bad at all:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/td-w8970

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Trompette

Hi davo2001,

Thanks for your answer.
    I was asking because I don't know how reliable is the firmware in the W8970 (or other) modem/router and I don't want to do customising if I can't get it working in 2 days around.
    But first is to know if it's possible to go back to the original firmware after erasing the flash memory. I didn't find this info on the web site.
    Then I need to know some people experience: Good or bad, and why.
    Then, I hope someone with some experience could support me in case. For example I am not sure the howto is up to date and I'll rewrite it. I'd like someone to reread it and let me know.
    This howto says there is bugs (WIFI, switch is passing traffic...) ???
    This howto says to use the file openwrt-lantiq-xrx200-TDW8970-uImage-initramfs but another guy told me to use luci-lantiq-xrx200-TDW8970-sysupgrade.image.

So for me and my skill this is not clear, I never did that and I'll not go further if I don't have more support.
    I hope you understand me. Do you have some time to go further?

Anyway, thanks again

Advertisement