Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

potty training... no interest 😕

Options
  • 05-03-2015 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Basically daughter is 3 in April.. and firmly not interested in potty training.

Have got frozen/doc knickers.. potty.. toilet seat etc...

Won't sit on toilet or potty..

She tells me when she has wee or poo in nappy.. and even tells me WHILE she's doing it. So she knows what she's at..
    comes to toilet with me every time so knows what that's about.

How do I start..
    do I force it..
    wait and see?

Playschool won't take her in sept if not trained

Has a 6 month old brother...

Any ideas???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Have you tried a book? There's a princess polly potty book which my daughter loved.

http://www.theworks.co.uk/p/board-books/princess-polly-s-pottyperc3a-a-ladybird-potty-training-book/9781409302193?CAWELAID=720011340001764004&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=COSltqHukMQCFcZafgod94QAKQ

September is a long way off anyway, so I woudn't panic. Sometimes they are scared of toilets. The noise etc.

Does she sit on the potty with her clothes on? To get used to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP

I left the potty in the sitting room while the telly was on during the day while my (now 6) 3 year old played.

It was there for 2 days before she used it - she was so busy watching Peppa that she told me she needed to go, I whipped off her knickers, sat her down & she peed.

And that was it - she got it & used the potty every time after that.

I also got that Princess Potty book - she loved it & insisted on a round of applause every time she used the toilet.

Even though she is now 6 sometimes I think she is still looking for a round of applause!

T

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

As hard as it is to hear they won't do it til there ready! I thought my daughter was ready in September last (2yr2m) but she wasn't and no amount of coaxing frome changed that! Tried again in January and it clicked immediately. I can see now that she just wasn't ready, like your girl she could tell me but didn't see the benefit of using the potty

We did the big girl pants, princess polly book in September too, but it didn't work at the time. She was ready to train in December but I wanted christmas over with first!

Maybe try each morning asking her if she wants big girl pants or baby nappy, I found this a good technique. Depending on personality, my girl being stubborn, I told her she was in charge of the potty and she would decide when to use it. It worked as she felt I wasn't pushing it. We've only had 4 accidents since the start of January and those were me not being quick enough to see the signs and suggest she use the potty

It's tough, but she'll get there. The Summet might be a good opportunity to try again, just let her run around outside in her big girl pants, she'll soon see they are much more fun than nappies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

As hard as it is to hear they won't do it til there ready! I thought my daughter was ready in September last (2yr2m) but she wasn't and no amount of coaxing frome changed that! Tried again in January and it clicked immediately. I can see now that she just wasn't ready, like your girl she could tell me but didn't see the benefit of using the potty

I 2nd this. My boy started asking me at 2yr 4mth to use the toilet so i got a toilet seat and he would sit on but nothing ever came. At 2yr 8mth he starting asking to wear big boy pants but i had a new baby due any day so i held him off, at 2yr 10mth he was begging to wear big boy pants and i was ready (as ready as i'd ever be with a 2mth old as well) and he did it in a few days with very very few accidents, it was such smooth sailing, i was really glad we ended up waiting til he was very ready, i think that's the trick. We didn't need any reward charts or special books because he was so keen himself, a few bob the builder underpants was all he needed ;)

Sept is still 6mths away, that's a long time in a 2-3yr olds life. Don't worry about her age, that's just a number, wait til she's ready. Try again in 3 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Thanks everyone

All my family and non parent friends keep saying she should be using toilet by now

I feel happier now.

I'll wait till the summer
    appreciate the advice ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks everyone

All my family and non parent friends keep saying she should be using toilet by now

I feel happier now.

I'll wait till the summer
    appreciate the advice ☺

Good for you, don't mind them, every child is different, what's a few months.

Advertisement