Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women in powerlifting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Gliondar, is it?

I thought it was pretty good. If only for the bit where Imelda Farrell, the older woman, was asked to get a couple of 2.5kg plates and she skipped off enthusiastically to get them.

Can't bate seeing that kinda enjoyment in lifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Gliondar, is it?

I thought it was pretty good. If only for the bit where Imelda Murray, the older woman, was asked to get a couple of 2.5kg plates and she skipped off enthusiastically to get them.

Can't bate seeing that kinda enjoyment in lifting.

That's the one yeah.
    She's brilliant. She's a great example to everyone that you're never too old to try something new. You don't need to go in needing to become a champ you only need to enjoy it

Sorry, her surname is Farrell.

Think she DL'd 117.5kg in that comp they showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Women in powerlifting is awesome. For the empowerment of women , nothing to do with the enlargement of their glutes :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thought it was a good programme and really got across the accessibility of the sport which is important I think. It probably didn't go into enough detail or highlight the serious hard work and training it takes to really get to the top, but I imagine that might have put a lot of people off starting - instead I think a lot of women might have tuned in and thought, "sure, I might give that a go" which is great imho.

• Advertisement

With half an hour and an intent to cover it from 4 different perspectives, there were limits to what they could cover so I think they made the right choice and showed it as accessible and welcoming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 KaTEA

I thought it was good, and defiantly useful to raise the awareness of the sport and woman doing the sport - competitively or just for fitness. But half an hour wasn't long enough for what they were covering. It should have been longer to display the sport fully.

KaTEA wrote: »
    I thought it was good, and defiantly useful to raise the awareness of the sport and woman doing the sport - competitively or just for fitness. But half an hour wasn't long enough for what they were covering. It should have been longer to display the sport fully.

It was one episode in a series though. There isn't the scope to go into it fully. Similarly with any of the other programs in the series.

They did pretty well with the half hour they had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Great little documentary I thought - showed a positive image of lifting weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 themolloy2

Hi,
    Does anyone remember the name of the teenager in this documentary or the gym he attended (was in glasnevin I think!).
    CHeers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

themolloy2 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Does anyone remember the name of the teenager in this documentary or the gym he attended (was in glasnevin I think!).

I'm pretty sure the gym in that documentary was the ABS gym

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

themolloy2 wrote: »
    Hi,

Shane was his name. Abs Gym in Glasnevin is where he's training.

Advertisement