Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Woodstown, Knocklyon

Options
  • 05-03-2015 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I'm currently looking at buying a house in Woodstown estate in Knocklyon. It's a nice estate and the houses are very nice, they seem well built and of good quality.

I know traffic can be heavy in the morning and evening as an estate agent informed me of this fact, but aside from that is there anything else I should know about the area?

Any information would be great, whether it's good or bad!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Do a search for Woodstown, it comes up now and then. Some trouble with burglaries and theft lately. There is a halting site on Stocking Hill which gives some residents concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Do a search for Woodstown, it comes up now and then. Some trouble with burglaries and theft lately. There is a halting site on Stocking Hill which gives some residents concern.

The Stocking Hill halting site is relatively quiet (although I did almost drive into a bare knuckle fight there before that had spilled out into the road). Far worse and closer to Woodstown is the Daletree halting site. It ranges from quiet to very troublesome. Lately it hasnt been too bad. When it is bad there is a lot of petty theft and aggressive behaviour locally.

The traffic is really appalling there in the mornings, so much so that I actually drive away from the M50 through the estates to Parklands to get back out on the main road and into the queue. There is a complete bottleneck at the Woodstown roundabout that needs to be addressed but despite letters to local politicians apparently the council are not interested.

Id say its a grand area overall but if I had the choice Id prefer to buy further into Knocklyon or the older part of Firhouse. The infrastructure is already bad and now with them pushing to sell up on Stocking Lane again its not going to get any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Yeah I tried searching but there wasn't much coming up about it. It's mentioned here and there in a couple of threads but nothing much is mentioned. That's interesting to hear about the halting site, I remember hearing a few years back that there was one planned somewhere out that direction, didn't realise it was nearby to Woodstown.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    The Stocking Hill halting site is relatively quiet (although I did almost drive into a bare knuckle fight there before that had spilled out into the road). Far worse and closer to Woodstown is the Daletree halting site. It ranges from quiet to very troublesome. Lately it hasnt been too bad. When it is bad there is a lot of petty theft and aggressive behaviour locally.

The traffic is really appalling there in the mornings, so much so that I actually drive away from the M50 through the estates to Parklands to get back out on the main road and into the queue. There is a complete bottleneck at the Woodstown roundabout that needs to be addressed but despite letters to local politicians apparently the council are not interested.

Id say its a grand area overall but if I had the choice Id prefer to buy further into Knocklyon or the older part of Firhouse. The infrastructure is already bad and now with them pushing to sell up on Stocking Lane again its not going to get any better.

Ah really? That's all bad to hear. The houses are really nice and the estate seems great so it's a shame. I don't think it'll turn me off the area but it's good to know. Are you living in Woodstown or nearby?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You're dead right, it was the Dale Tree one I was thinking of, just couldn't remember the name and got it mixed up with Stocking Lane. :o

The wonderful thing about the traffic (at that junction in particular) is the rezoned land higher up where they want to build thousands of houses. The local councillors effectively shrugged their shoulders when I asked for their opinion on the rezoning without any traffic alleviation plans.

They are probably rubbing their hands with glee thinking of all the extra LPT money SDCoCo will receive...

• Advertisement

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Ah really? That's all bad to hear. The houses are really nice and the estate seems great so it's a shame. I don't think it'll turn me off the area but it's good to know. Are you living in Woodstown or nearby?

Nearby and I have lived my whole life within 1km of it - before it was even there lol!!

I suppose I should have tempered my last post with good stuff. Realistically the only bad stuff is that its between 2 halting sites (which have been quiet for a while now) and the traffic is desperate in the mornings - actually though its least bad from the Woodstown entrance onto that roundabout.

But theres lots of good things - its very close to the Dublin mountains so access to nice walks is good. The new LIDL at Beechdale is great! The bus is regular and a good service, also because its close to the terminus you never have to worry that the bus will be full. Youve a Spar, doctors clinic, chemist, off licence and takeaway right on the doorstep. The local milkman is great and the local farmer sells free range eggs to your door. Its not a great walking distance for a local pub but its not too far from Scholars or The Old Mill. Marlay Park is a short drive away and the whole local area has lots of nice parks and green areas.

On the infrastructure thing, there is currently a lot of aggro going on in Firhouse about the proposed new site of an Educate Together school - despite the locals favoured site being opposite the new LIDL, the council in their wisdom seem to be going with the site by the community centre with the entrance onto the Kilininny Road which is already in bits with M50 traffic in the mornings.

But theres lots of good things - its very close to the Dublin mountains so access to nice walks is good. The new LIDL at Beechdale is great! The bus is regular and a good service, also because its close to the terminus you never have to worry that the bus will be full. Youve a Spar, doctors clinic, chemist, off licence and takeaway right on the doorstep. The local milkman is great and the local farmer sells free range eggs to your door. Its not a great walking distance for a local pub but its not too far from Scholars or The Old Mill. Marlay Park is a short drive away and the whole local area has lots of nice parks and green areas.

That's great to hear about the good points, they definitely outweigh the bad in my opinion. I've been in to view a few houses in the estate and really like it. Amenities are fine, I'm a 20 minute walk to the nearest pub as it is so I can live with a stroll to the nearest one. Traffic isn't a huge issue as I tend to cycle more often than not, and Knocklyon is closer to work than my current location so it'll be a quicker commute.

Thanks for the updates people, you've put any of my misgivings at ease with this information!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I've found that the traffic isn't as bad these days as it use to be. Really depends on what time you leave and what direction you're going

Synode wrote: »
    I've found that the traffic isn't as bad these days as it use to be. Really depends on what time you leave and what direction you're going

The very day they opened the Naas road flyover there was a dramatic decrease in the traffic queue for the M50 on the Killininny Road. I still havent tried to go down the Ballycullen Road though because I really HATE that roundabout! Ill probably revert back to it when the kids are off in the summer.

I've had to get on the M50 a couple of times this year and it hasn't been a problem at all. Back a few years ago it was a complete disaster

• Advertisement

It's still a disaster. I've seen it back to the roundabout at Scholars (queue for M50) quite a few times recently. If you hit it before 8am it's ok, but for an hour and 15 minutes after that; rubbish.

It's still a disaster. I've seen it back to the roundabout at Scholars (queue for M50) quite a few times recently. If you hit it before 8am it's ok, but for an hour and 15 minutes after that; rubbish.

Yeah, if I dont get out by 7.50am I actually go over the mountain, down by Prospect Manor, and go left down the Scholarstown road and get to the M50 that way - sounds mad but its actually faster if the whole of Ballycullen and Killininny is locked up.

I'm come from the Firhouse side and will divert through Knocklyon (i.e past Superquinn/Supervalue) if it's particularly bad. Crazy planning for such a new junction...

I'm come from the Firhouse side and will divert through Knocklyon (i.e past Superquinn/Supervalue) if it's particularly bad. Crazy planning for such a new junction...

The whole junction is a joke. Come off the M50 and youre on a nice wide road that they then narrow so you have to merge to one lane, and then 20 metres up the road it widens again.......why?????

That sounds bad & all, but I have to leave before 7:15am if I want to be in work in under an hour at the moment! I can live with a bit of traffic:pac:

Does anyone know what year Woodstown was built, or roughly how old it is even? Looks like it's easily within the last 20 years, but I'm not sure.

I remember messing around in empty houses in the estate when it was being built as a youngster. It must have been about 1998

I remember messing around in empty houses in the estate when it was being built as a youngster. It must have been about 1998

It was before that. I think it was earlier in the 90s when they started building it - although I remember it going on a good while. Think it was around 91/92 it started.

I don't think so. I only moved to Knocklyon in 1994 and that whole area was greenfield for years until they built Woodstown

I don't think so. I only moved to Knocklyon in 1994 and that whole area was greenfield for years until they built Woodstown

Yeah, maybe Im misremembering it. Ive lived in Knocklyon since the 70s (yikes!) so its quite possible Ive lost track.

Actually, I went to the states in 95 and it wasnt there when I came back so yes, 98 is probably more accurate.

There was nothing past Glenvara Park when I moved there, so I could have been thinking of one of the other estates now past it.

• Advertisement

I thought it'd be about that old from the looks of it alright, inside the last 20 years was my best guess.

Here's the ordinance survey map from 1995 and it's not there:

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,711475,726201,5,5

And here's the one from 2000 and it is there

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,711530,726148,5,4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

There was a horse riding school there beforehand, and the current M50 flyover is where they used to have circuses (if they weren't on outside the primary school)

Op, buy a slightly less nice house in Knocklyon. You'll benefit from significantly faster buses, an overall more pleasant area and less traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

From Knocklyon origionally & settled back in Woodstown 10 years ago now. Any questions fire me a PM if you're stuck.

Great Residents association who really look after the place with landscaping / shrub planting / Family Days etc

Tragedy wrote: »
    There was a horse riding school there beforehand, and the current M50 flyover is where they used to have circuses (if they weren't on outside the primary school)

Op, buy a slightly less nice house in Knocklyon. You'll benefit from significantly faster buses, an overall more pleasant area and less traffic.

Thanks for the advice, the traffic's not a huge issue for me as I cycle a lot so that's not enough to put me off the area, I like the feel of the estate and aside from the traffic the feedback has been mostly positive.

Dice75 wrote: »
    From Knocklyon origionally & settled back in Woodstown 10 years ago now. Any questions fire me a PM if you're stuck.

Great Residents association who really look after the place with landscaping / shrub planting / Family Days etc

Yeah it's really well kept, we've viewed a few houses in the estate and we've agreed on one. Great to hear the community aspect of things is alive, a lot of places don't have that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Thanks for the advice, the traffic's not a huge issue for me as I cycle a lot so that's not enough to put me off the area, I like the feel of the estate and aside from the traffic the feedback has been mostly positive.
    The traffic may not be an issue for you now, will it be an issue in 5 years? 10? More?

It is a nice estate, but it's also always seemed to be overpriced for what and where it is. Woodstown is not cheap!

Tragedy wrote: »
    The traffic may not be an issue for you now, will it be an issue in 5 years? 10? More?

It is a nice estate, but it's also always seemed to be overpriced for what and where it is. Woodstown is not cheap!

Yeah it's definitely not cheap and it's heartbreaking seeing how much some of the houses went for 5 years ago. I don't see the traffic as enough to put me off the area either now or in the long run, it's Dublin, there's always going to be traffic. The key is to plan it in to your journey and either leave before/after it's busy or just grin and bear it.

Yeah it's definitely not cheap and it's heartbreaking seeing how much some of the houses went for 5 years ago. I don't see the traffic as enough to put me off the area either now or in the long run, it's Dublin, there's always going to be traffic. The key is to plan it in to your journey and either leave before/after it's busy or just grin and bear it.

Regarding traffic its the local area plan that has me more worried, they want to develop 1000s of houses above Woodstown and above Beechdale, but there has been no regard for infrastructure.

• Advertisement

Regarding traffic its the local area plan that has me more worried, they want to develop 1000s of houses above Woodstown and above Beechdale, but there has been no regard for infrastructure.

Ok that's worrying, any indication as to when the development is planned or if it's been approved to go ahead?

Advertisement