Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Woodstown, Knocklyon

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Ok that's worrying, any indication as to when the development is planned or if it's been approved to go ahead?

There is some work going ahead at the moment - essentially the entirety of Stocking Lane is marked for development, also the NAMA owned land beside Old Court Farm and Mick Whelan has put in for planning permission to build on the GAA grounds along the Old Court Road. Plus the Educate together school on the Kilininny Road.

So lots planned. Ill have a dig around for the local area plan, not sure if its online, I got a leaflet about it ages ago.

Some info in the first pdf here:
    http://www.sdcc.ie/services/planning/local-area-plans/existing/ballycullen-oldcourt

Some of this has changed due to political/residential pressure/planning - but thats what the plan was the last time I got a leaflet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Even if they had sense, I'm not sure what they can do with the infrastructure to cope with all the planned houses. Maybe upgrade the M50 junction (is there room)? Create a priority lane for buses?

Synode wrote: »
    Even if they had sense, I'm not sure what they can do with the infrastructure to cope with all the planned houses. Maybe upgrade the M50 junction (is there room)? Create a priority lane for buses?

Maybe put another junction in past Firhouse that you could get to from Stocking Wood - there is land up around there, near Bloomfield.

Also - open the other entrance into Woodstown -on the M50 queue road. And join a road through to Dalriada.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Actually, I've been meaning to ask, what's the phone coverage like in Woodstown? Bloody hate bad phone reception! It seemed fine when I've viewed houses but would like to know overall how people find it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Actually, I've been meaning to ask, what's the phone coverage like in Woodstown? Bloody hate bad phone reception! It seemed fine when I've viewed houses but would like to know overall how people find it?

Have to disagree with above. I think it can vary but we are down the back at it can be bad. Im VF and she is O2 and neither is good although VF is slightly better. The problem is the nearest mast is at Kilsaron which is at the top of Exit 11 of the M50. The residents voted no to a mast on the hill at the back of the green. Generally have to be near a front window in ojr house.

Dice75 wrote: »
    Have to disagree with above. I think it can vary but we are down the back at it can be bad. Im VF and she is O2 and neither is good although VF is slightly better. The problem is the nearest mast is at Kilsaron which is at the top of Exit 11 of the M50. The residents voted no to a mast on the hill at the back of the green. Generally have to be near a front window in ojr house.

I visited the house over the weekend and checked how the signal is, it's fine for calls but 3/4G doesn't seem to be great. Not a big deal as we would be getting broadband in immediately, at least the connection seemed ok for making calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Live locally myself and we've put in bids for a couple of houses in Woodstown. Have heard the rumours about extra burglaries and the like, but only from people outside Woodstown, not from the people I know who actually live there.

It was completed sometime around 2000/2001, not long after the M50 went in. http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=144&regref=S00A/0212
    There is still a little snobbery in Knockyon around it - one person commented to us that it's not "really" Knocklyon because it's on the other side of the M50. The same person also said that Glenvara and Castlefield are Knocklyon though, so she had no basis for her comment except for the fact that the estate is newer than the rest :D

The shops can be a little noisy with some anti-social behaviour. But it's primarily just teenagers hanging around and making noise rather than fights or stabbings breaking out. Once the shops are closed there's nobody hanging around.

I've been into a couple of the houses, decent builds, solid. A little snug perhaps and the gardens vary a lot in size/aspect/overlooks, so you can't assume that any two properties are the same - some have a beautiful view of the mountains, others have a 16ft wall at the back because the house behind is higher.

As said above, they have a very active resident's association - Xmas trees done up outside on the green areas, street parties, tidy towns, all that stuff.

Feel free to PM me if you want any info on the stuff that's for sale there, I've done my homework on pretty much everything that's being sold in there at the moment, either researching or actually going to see them :D

seamus wrote: »
    Live locally myself and we've put in bids for a couple of houses in Woodstown. Have heard the rumours about extra burglaries and the like, but only from people outside Woodstown, not from the people I know who actually live there.

It was completed sometime around 2000/2001, not long after the M50 went in. http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=144&regref=S00A/0212
    There is still a little snobbery in Knockyon around it - one person commented to us that it's not "really" Knocklyon because it's on the other side of the M50. The same person also said that Glenvara and Castlefield are Knocklyon though, so she had no basis for her comment except for the fact that the estate is newer than the rest :D

The shops can be a little noisy with some anti-social behaviour. But it's primarily just teenagers hanging around and making noise rather than fights or stabbings breaking out. Once the shops are closed there's nobody hanging around.

I've been into a couple of the houses, decent builds, solid. A little snug perhaps and the gardens vary a lot in size/aspect/overlooks, so you can't assume that any two properties are the same - some have a beautiful view of the mountains, others have a 16ft wall at the back because the house behind is higher.

As said above, they have a very active resident's association - Xmas trees done up outside on the green areas, street parties, tidy towns, all that stuff.

Feel free to PM me if you want any info on the stuff that's for sale there, I've done my homework on pretty much everything that's being sold in there at the moment, either researching or actually going to see them :D

That's brilliant, thanks, it's a great estate & I know what you're saying about the snobbery in relation to the estate. If Castlefield & Glenvara are Knocklyon then how could Woodstown be any different? I know it's a bit away from the village but no further than the other two estates.

Won't be close to the shops but I did notice groups of teens around a couple evenings. Watched them for a while & they weren't up to very much, just hanging around. Used to do the same as a teenager myself. As long as there's no trouble there's nothing to worry about.

That's brilliant, thanks, it's a great estate & I know what you're saying about the snobbery in relation to the estate. If Castlefield & Glenvara are Knocklyon then how could Woodstown be any different? I know it's a bit away from the village but no further than the other two estates.
    This was always the funny thing about Knocklyon. It doesn't really have any kind of "village" or main street. The shopping centre has always just been a shopping centre - unlike say Templeogue village, there was no historical town centre in Knocklyon. The closest thing to a centre is the shopping centre and church, which didn't appear until the 70s and 80s. So people casting aspersions about what is and isn't Knocklyon has always been funny. And even in the 80s you had people arguing about whether Knocklyon existed at all. Some people claimed it was Templeogue, others claimed it was Firhouse.

Templeroan was built in the early 90s, I remember when it was literally just fields. Even then you had people saying that it's not Knocklyon, it's Ballyboden or Whitechurch, it's too far away to be Knocklyon.

• Advertisement

I remember when "they" (the powers that be) decided to make at least some of Knocklyon D6W (I was only a child at the time), my parents were very concerned about whether it would adversely affect the house value! Im not sure if it was ever officially implemented but it went back to D16 anyway.

Glenvara was a bit of an outlier until they built Castlefield - it had no other estates beside it at all. I cant remember if Castlefield or Glenlyon came first - but I well remember walking through the gap up from where the M50 footbridge is now in Castlefield - before the M50 was ever there at all.

And the old Knocklyon Road, that just sort of abruptly ends now due to the M50 being behind it.

Anyway - enough of the nostalgia!

Either way if I put the address in to Google Maps it comes up as Knocklyon and D16, the address is listed as Knocklyon & D16 so I'm going with that. It's Knocklyon in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

It's not snobbery, it's a fact that Woodstown only 'became' Knocklyon when it was built - for no apparent reason other than the Developer found a way to make it accepted so as to charge higher prices.

The area it was built has been known as Ballycullen for hundreds of years, the area Glenvara and Castlefield are built has been known as Knocklyon for hundreds of years, you know - Knocklyon Castle is by Castlefield.
    That is a fact.

It isn't snobbery - and the only snobbery involved is reverse snobbery of the people who can't bear to accept that where they live isn't Knocklyon and never has been - despite An Post now accepting that post sent to Woodstown, Knocklyon goes to Woodstown in Ballycullen.

There is nothing wrong with living in Ballycullen, there is nothing wrong with living in Knocklyon.

You would swear we didn't have freely available maps that show the above.

Tragedy wrote: »
    It's not snobbery, it's a fact that Woodstown only 'became' Knocklyon when it was built - for no apparent reason other than the Developer found a way to make it accepted so as to charge higher prices.

The area it was built has been known as Ballycullen for hundreds of years, the area Glenvara and Castlefield are built has been known as Knocklyon for hundreds of years, you know - Knocklyon Castle is by Castlefield.
    That is a fact.

It isn't snobbery - and the only snobbery involved is reverse snobbery of the people who can't bear to accept that where they live isn't Knocklyon and never has been - despite An Post now accepting that post sent to Woodstown, Knocklyon goes to Woodstown in Ballycullen.

There is nothing wrong with living in Ballycullen, there is nothing wrong with living in Knocklyon.

Yeah I did notice that, either way if the address is listed as Knocklyon that's what I'm going with. Not going to confuse the issue by telling people I live in Ballycullen but it comes up as Knocklyon if you google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

That is a fact.

Exactly! Sure they'll build more estates in the coming years further up the mountain beyond Ballycullen and probably still be calling it Knocklyon.

Nevertheless, it's now accepted as being Knocklyon, so there's no point in taking some bizarre stand that it's not unless you're a historian with a particular gra for holding onto the past.

Likewise the vast majority of what's now called Ballycullen is originally Oldcourt. And Orlagh & Woodfield are Knocklyon, but originally Scholarstown. And Ashton & Templeroan: Ballyroan.

Boundaries change, 'tis the way it is.

Aren't the estates on Stocking Avenue being sold as Rathfarnham. You'd wonder where the boundaries are

Nevertheless, it's now accepted as being Knocklyon, so there's no point in taking some bizarre stand that it's not unless you're a historian with a particular gra for holding onto the past.

Likewise the vast majority of what's now called Ballycullen is originally Oldcourt. And Orlagh & Woodfield are Knocklyon, but originally Scholarstown. And Ashton & Templeroan: Ballyroan.

Boundaries change, 'tis the way it is.
    You maundered on about snobbery and no historical basis and when you were entirely incorrect you completely changed your argument.

As I said, the only snobbery is reverse snobbery by people like you.

Woodstown is not regarded as Knocklyon by anyone but the people who bought there and an post, and an post emphatically state that their addresses are for postal reasons and do not imply or infer boundaries or locales, they are a tool for the delivery and sending of mail.

Up until Woodstown was built it was Ballycullen. It fronts on to the Ballycullen Road, is across from Ballycullen Cottages and would have been called Firhouse if Firhouse was worth more money than Knocklyon.

By all means though, change the argument again, keep posting nonsense and keep pretending that the rebranding was anything but a successful marketing exercise preying on people who care more for perceived area than actual area - I am enjoying the schadenfreude derived from your posts.

Synode wrote: »
    Aren't the estates on Stocking Avenue being sold as Rathfarnham. You'd wonder where the boundaries are
    Yeah, it's all a bit crazy. From what I can tell, most of Stocking Avenue would be historically part of Woodtown, which is part of a larger district of Cruagh.

You maundered on about snobbery and no historical basis and when you were entirely incorrect you completely changed your argument.

As I said, the only snobbery is reverse snobbery by people like you.
    But it is snobbery. "I refuse to accept it's part of Knocklyon because it's not historically accurate".

What else can it be but snobbery? I live in Ballycullen, I have no reason for pretending that there's anything wrong with it. Simply stating the fact that Woodstown is part of modern Knocklyon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Sure it's being going on for years. When the first estates like Coolamber and Dargle Wood were being built on the Knocklyon road in the 70's they would of all had postal addresses of Templeogue and not Knocklyon. It's entirely possible that in 20 years time the likes of Woodstown may slowly change in just the same way it'll be known as Ballycullen?

But it is snobbery. "I refuse to accept it's part of Knocklyon because it's not historically accurate".

What else can it be but snobbery? I live in Ballycullen, I have no reason for pretending that there's anything wrong with it. Simply stating the fact that Woodstown is part of modern Knocklyon.
    According to who? What evidence do you have? Why haven't you acknowledged all the prior factual inaccuracies you have stated? Why haven't you addressed that you entirely changed the thrust of your argument because it was laughably wrong?

Oh right, this is boards and 'winning' matters more than being correct.

According to who? What evidence do you have? Why haven't you acknowledged all the prior factual inaccuracies you have stated?
    I haven't stated any factual inaccuracies. Placenames come into being through common usage. Uppercross no longer exists, even though it was at one time one of the biggest areas in Dublin. You've agreed that Woodstown is now commonly accepted to be part of Knocklyon, An Post considers it Knocklyon, therefore it is fact.

I never disputed that it was at one point, Ballycullen. Just like Orlagh was Scholarstown.
    Oh right, this is boards and 'winning' matters more than being correct.
    Indeed.

Anyway, this is way off-topic.

Woodstown is not regarded as Knocklyon by anyone but the people who bought there and an post

Absolute nonsense and I don't live in Woodstown. Are you on some sort of crusade to protect 'Real Knocklyon' :pac:

It'll be interesting to see how the new postcode system comes in to play, surely that'll be the defining word on where boundaries lie. The new system will incorporate the current postal code system in the form of the first three digits of the new system, i.e. Dublin 16 will now have a postcode of D16 xxxx.

The new development at Dalriada is now calling itself Knocklyon too :pac:

An Post appear to disagree, they're just calling it "Dublin 16".

I suspect in about 15 years the same debate will crop up where people in Woodstown are scoffing that Dalriada isn't "real" Knocklyon.

On a side note, they're going to be badly overpriced. No real gardens to speak of, and almost all of the gardens are north or east-facing.

It will be interesting to see if they sell if overpriced. Especially with the new mortgage rules

Advertisement