Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wire broke on charging cable

Options
  • 05-03-2015 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

One of the wires going into the plug of my laptop charger cable broke. The plug is the sort you can't open so I'm wondering if I can cut the other wire and just connect a regular plug or is this a specific plug for computers ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

A pic would help. What model laptop?

Which end of the cable, mains or other end?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

degsie wrote: »
    A pic would help. What model laptop?

Which end of the cable, mains or other end?
    Its the end goin into the electric plug not the laptop end. Computer is toshiba satellite c660/c660d.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

OK it looks like the charger had a separate power brick, so it should be fine to just replace the mains plug. You need to ensure you wire it up correctly. Buzz out the wires from the old plug to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

degsie wrote: »
    OK it looks like the charger had a separate power brick, so it should be fine to just replace the mains plug. You need to ensure you wire it up correctly. Buzz out the wires from the old plug to confirm.
    Thanks very much for that degsie. Sorry I had no pic but dont have cable with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

If the cable broke between the mains plug and the power supply then yes, just buy a three pin plug and stick it on.

Brown is live, goes to the fuse side, blue is neutral and goes to the left, opposite the live and the green/yellow is the earth and goes to the top pin.

If you buy a plug it will probably come with a 13a fuse which is a bit high for a charger, 3 is probably plenty. Maybe swap the one from the old plug.

• Advertisement
Advertisement