Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big scary training log

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I don't want ye tracking me, telling me I'm running too fast and shouting at me for swimming :pac:

I'm really quite scared of the running forum training logs :o

Sure that's no craic for us. We're only here to help. Who are all these other people like? :P

Me & Boards are not compatible at all so if I can find you anyone can :D

Its CM and RQ you really need to watch out for.

aquinn wrote: »

Its CM and RQ you really need to watch out for.

RQ won't shout at me for swimming :P

I'm honestly not sure where I should have my log nowadays :/

Yesterday I did the same as Monday, with the intention of doing a 40 minute run and also some swimming. I was late out of work so didn't go running, was home at 8.15 and intended going swimming at 9. Sat on my bed at 8.30 and realised I was zonked so I decided to sleep which I did from around 9 til 6.30 this morning :eek:.

I'm not going to push myself too much now if I'm feeling knackered, body still recovering and all that. Met my running guy the other night and he said to take it handy until end of November so I'm just going to train when I feel like it rather than get into a tizzy about plans, seeing as I'm only just finished one.

So December will see me start my plan towards my next goal. Will decide then where my log belongs :P

The BW Squats I did this week were felt by my legs.

So this evening I thought I'd go say hi to my crossfit pals.

40kg back squats
    4 sets of 8
    2 sets of 6
    1 set of 4

So with warm up that's 66 back squats.

I won't be able to run for a week :(

Did lots of mobility work too. That'll help......right.....

For some reason I can walk absolutely fine today.....

Didn't lift enough. Clearly. Though my legs were wibbly wobbly after.

Wanted to keep it light so that I wouldn't be in bits, but I feel absolutely nothing. I gather that will change by this evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

For some reason I can walk absolutely fine today.....

Didn't lift enough. Clearly. Though my legs were wibbly wobbly after.

Wanted to keep it light so that I wouldn't be in bits, but I feel absolutely nothing. I gather that will change by this evening!

I don't want to alarm you but it's just the calm before the storm.

Hurripain Abigail is a-comin' :D

• Advertisement

I should have gone for a run this morning while I still could >.<

If it was gonna be bad you'd know by now. You might be grand.

If it was gonna be bad you'd know by now. You might be grand.

I am not grand.

I was going to go for a run early this morning. HA! I barely walked the dog.

Swam for 35 minutes last night. Not so much swimming as drills up and down the pool with swimming in between but to be fair the drills are just a different kind of swimming. Getting there.

At a funeral all afternoon, had 4 pints. Am drunk. Would like to run tomorrow but we shall see. It's been a while since I drank 4 pints!!!

3 miles, they weren't even a little bit fast but they felt too fast. My legs are strong but my aerobic fitness is gone to shyte.

I did 16 lengths of the pool, I thought it was a 20 metre pool but I just checked the site and it says it's 25!

Sound.

Getting a bit better at the whole not drowning thing. I was actually going a bit faster than people in the medium lane this morning! That's not to say they should have been there at all but that's totally not the point.

• Advertisement

I did 16 lengths of the pool, I thought it was a 20 metre pool but I just checked the site and it says it's 25!

Sound.

Getting a bit better at the whole not drowning thing. I was actually going a bit faster than people in the medium lane this morning! That's not to say they should have been there at all but that's totally not the point.

Ooh. Just remembered a tip a lad who does triathlons gave this morning that might be of interest. He said too many people try to do more work with their arms to save their legs for the cycle and run after but the problem is that if you kick less, your hips and legs sink lower in the water so there's more drag. So he said work on the kick technique by swimming with a snorkel (not a kickboard - not the same body position) with arms by your sides. When you're keeping balanced (hips and legs in a line at the surface) then you bring in the arms.

You probably know all that but just thought I'd share :)

I've heard this snorkel thing alright. I must look more into it.

My legs kick kind of OK. My biggest issue was that I was lifting my head out of the water to breath and that made my hips drop which made everything go stupid.

Also I realised that I was going 1,2,3, breathe, instead of breathing on 3. I'm turning my body now instead of my head.

Once I get those things down then I'll look at what my arms are doing!

I didn't have to stop during any lengths today which is the first time that's happened \o/

Wednesday:

Swimming lesson. I'm actually pretty surprised at how much progress I've made in two weeks. A long long long way to go still of course but at least I'm seeing it coming together. Considering I had never even done a front crawl before my first lesson!

Thursday:

6km easy run

Thursday continued:

15 minutes mobility work

5 rounds:

5 chin ups
    60 metre x 20kg farmer walk
    10 x 20kg box step ups
    200 metre run

Easy peasy.

30 minutes swimming. Less good today that earlier in the week but I'll keep at it.

Ehhhh,

I'll try to remember things....

Monday

Nothing!

Tuesday
    Running - 4.5miles

Wednesday
    Running 15mins easy, 10 minutes strides, 16min easy
    Had to miss my swimming lesson as I was so exhausted that I fell asleep on the sofa before dinner.

Thursday
    Running 45 mins easy
    CF - strength & conditioning, I can't even remember the workout :rolleyes:

Friday
    Got my nails done, ate mince pies, drank mulled wine (just the one glass like!), and watched the toy show.

Saturday
    Just a long walk with the mutt (I should point out that she does get walked every day - just not always by me, she goes to her nanny's [my mam] while I'm at work :P).

Sunday
    Swimming - 40 minutes but very very leisurely.
    Another long walk with the woggy.

Meltdown about running, didn't go for my long run, decided I hated running and it was all pointless and why did I do this to myself and why would I go run if I didn't want to go run.

Today - Monday
    Woke at 5:15 dying to go for a run :rolleyes:

Didn't.

Went to gym instead:

3 rounds mobility
    3 rounds barbell complex

5 rounds:
    10 back squats @30kg (should have been 40)
    20kg farmers walk
    10 push ups (could not do these at all)
    200 metre run

I really struggled in the gym today. So very weak :/

500 metre swimming this evening

*comes crawling back with her tail between her legs*

Left here to post a log elsewhere but the forum wasn't for me and I didn't feel happy logging there so stopped logging anywhere. So here I am. Hoping you'll take me back :P

I have stupidly signed up for the Wicklow Mountains Half Marathon which is in exactly 9 weeks. I'm an idiot, I'm well aware that I'm an idiot. I'm going to die. Dead. I don't even do any short trail running ffs.

So I'm going to have to work my ASS off for the next 9 weeks. Lots and lots and lots of running and a bajillion squats.

Picking up my first ever racer on Monday too. Ages waiting on my bike to work cheque to come through.

Swimming is going OK but it's time for more structured coaching I think.

I'm not exactly sure when I'm going to have time to post here, nor am I sure that I'll be able to lift a phone from pure exhaustion but I never did like to make things easy for myself.

Please shout things at me if I'm posting away elsewhere on boards when I could be planking or doing a turbo session.

RIP whoopsadaisydoodles :(

Anyone who does happen to read this forsaken thread.

How effective is rowing for cardio fitness? If I was to do a rowing sprint workout when I'm in the gym like?

I was on a rower for the first time in my life before Christmas. I don't think it's any coincidence that it was the same day I both puked and fainted in the gym!

So yeh, any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Rowing is a huge part of himself's cardiac rehab! I dunno if that means it's good or not.

/super helpful :D

Rowing is great cardio and used a lot of muscles.

Its probably what I do most for cardio and usually variations of sprints.

• Advertisement

Ugh, I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Rightio. I'll be giving it a shot.

Yeah, it can really burn. You could get through a couple of sprints and think you're gonna be fine and then a couple more and you're wondering if you'll finish before you throw up :D

^^^^

Sooo - sold? :pac:

30 minutes on the turbo trainer this morning. I'm not sure if I have it set up right though, just feels weird. Will try it with new bike tonight \o/

Ohhhhh, new bike. Show us.

I hope the back is ok and you have a fantastic year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Anyone who does happen to read this forsaken thread.

How effective is rowing for cardio fitness? If I was to do a rowing sprint workout when I'm in the gym like?

I was on a rower for the first time in my life before Christmas. I don't think it's any coincidence that it was the same day I both puked and fainted in the gym!

So yeh, any thoughts?

I use the C2 a lot. I hate and I think it hates me. That said, I think it's a brilliant tool for improving general cardiovascular ability without the impact issues that running has. It is also a naturally scaling activity - everyone gets a good workout.

I'd recommend looking up a few youtube clips - search for 'basic C2 rowing technique' and the first couple of videos will sort you out.

Basic things for most beginners is:

- slower with each stroke than you think is necessary
    - think legs
    - think fully extending at the end of each stroke

First few sessions can be as simple as hopping on for 10 minutes and thinking about technique and just getting used to it. Then you can move into doing things like 10 x 250m with 30 second rest between each one and aiming to achieve a consistent split across each one, etc.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    10 x 250m with 30 second rest

Lloyd hates the C2. The C2 hates Lloyd.

But there's proof that Lloyd hates himself.

Haha yes Lloyd - you see the bit where I puked the first and last time I was ever on one :P

That was in a workout where I was aiming for 500metres in <2 minutes. I didn't even realise I was that affected by in until I was onto my next workout :o

Didn't collect my bike because the nice man in work who has my cheque was sick yesterday :( Get well soon cheque man. Hopefully will get it today! This is what it looks like and this is all the things about it. It's soooooo pretty. Apparently it's a very very good bike but I have no idea about bikes so I just nodded and smiled a lot :)

50 minutes easy running last night. Then I fell asleep on the sofa sitting up with a cup of tea in my hand and woke with the tea thankfully still upright but my neck had an ouchie.

Looks pretty slick!

I always think those saddles look exceptionally uncomfortable for anything more than a 10-minute cycle!

Looks pretty slick!

I always think those saddles look exceptionally uncomfortable for anything more than a 10-minute cycle!

They are. There were a few "faces" pulled when I was being measured for it on Saturday. I felt violated. :eek: :o

My own bike has a lovely big saddle for my lovely big arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭caviardreams

*very* pretty and 105 and all. Well wear!

and 105 and all

:)*nods*:)

Very fancy G and you'll adjust to the saddle, eventually :P

aquinn wrote: »
    Very fancy G and you'll adjust to the saddle, eventually :P

I'll have to, otherwise I'll be giving birth to little baby bikes in 9 months time :eek:

Went to gym. It wasn't too hard but my shoulders will hurt.

3 rounds of mobility workout

3 rounds of body weight complex
    10 x pull-ups
    10 x push-ups
    10 x sit-ups
    10 x OH squat with band

5 x 3 clean and jerk @ 75% - 40kg

100 push-ups for time with 5 of "something" every minute. Air squats/burpees/wall balls etc.

30 minutes easy swimming.

Wednesday:

60 minutes progression run.

Thursday:
    Ate pizza. I sowwy. It was very nice.

Friday:
    Ugh, had to be in work for 7 so didn't really have much of a chance this morning to do anything. Least I'm off earlier so I've no excuse for tonight.

I really don't think I'm doing enough whatsoever. I'm just struggling to fit things in and work full time and make sure that I'm not abandoning my real priorities too.

I'd love to get someone to pay me to train. That would be deadly. Should have done athletics as a child :P

ah life!

• Advertisement

Monday:
    Gym (just copying and pasting from gym page!)

Hanging L sit
    try to hold for 20 secs
    Front Squat (3-3-3 @ 35kg)

Metcon (Time)
    5 Rounds for time:

5 Deadlift @ 50kg
    10 Toe To bar
    15 Kettlebell Swing Chest High 16kg
    5 Burpee over the bar

Tuesday:
    Run to work 10k progression run

Wednesday:

8 Min EMOM Wall Walks
    Perform 1 slow,controlled wall walk on the minute for 8 minutes

Overhead Squat (5 x 3) (20 Minutes to work to a Heavy Set of 3)
    - can't get to parallel with these so worked with 20kg plate + wall ball. Only got to 27.5kg.

Metcon (Time)
    6 Rounds

10 Walking Lunges(Kettlebell Alternating Side Per Round 16kg)

10 Sit Ups with 5kg Plate

5 Power Cleans 35kg

Thursday:
    Run to work 10k easy (wasn't easy).

Hey G,

What's going on? Back not ok?

Hey missus,
    I've just not been logging, but I have been active :)

Started a new strength programme last week and had trouble walking for the rest of the week :P

I haven't been running as much as I'd like because of some attacks near where I live and I have stupidly allowed them to dictate that I can't run late at night or early in the morning which unfortunately takes many of my opportunities away. Swimming I'm still crap at (there was a man walking in my lane this morning who I was out of breath trying to go faster than :rolleyes:). Cycling has been reserved for the turbo trainer as I haven't had the balls to go out anywhere near hard ground with cleats.

So yeh going, just not getting anywhere really.

I'll start logging again now that I'm being watched :P :D

There you are! My stalking finally worked, progress.

I noticed this morning it was bright at 7am, how are you for mornings? Definitely no running if safety a concern. Lunch opportunity?

Well done on still swimming and ass adjusting ok to new fancy bike?

When I'm on my late shift week I run to work a couple of days, which is a little over 10km. Unfortunately my early shift weeks means starting at 7:30 so swimming is for those mornings :)

30 minute lunch so that's not an option :(

Longer evenings and mornings now though so I'd say in the next couple of weeks it will all come together!

I'll make it my priority to get out for a long run and a cycle before the week is out. Just for you m'dear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement