Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mead kit - no instructions

• 05-03-2015 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

I was interested in making some mead and got a mead ingredients kit.
    It has a couple of sachets of ingredients but no easy instructions for a novice such as me. the contents are as follows

Wine Yeast
    wine Nutrients
    Wine stabilizer
    citric acid
    Finings - (a) Kieselsol & (b) Chitosan

So I dissolve the honey in warm water then chuck in the yeast & nutrients together once the mash is at the right temp (20-30c). But at what stage does the citric acid go in? The stabilizer says to add it once fermentation is complete - how will i know when that happens? The finings say to add (a) "once degassed gently"? and to add (b) "after standing for 1 hour"?
    At what point do I add each of the finings?

Would i be better off following an idiot proof recipe such as Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

If I opted to go for the JOAM recipe where can I get my hands on bread yeast in Dublin?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

I recommend following JAOM recipe - but use wine yeast instead of bread yeast...

Whenever I've used citric acid I put it in when making up the initial must.. You will know when fermentation has finished when the SG has dropped to about 1.000 and remained there for 2 or 3 days..

With finings you will normally add bottle A, leave for an hour and then add bottle B - best to follow the instructions.. I've found when making mead that there never was a need for finings however as it tends to clear of its own accord..

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Jaom is a great recipe I've used it with both bread and wine yeast. You can get bread yeast in any homebaking aisle in a supermarket.ive never used finings just some nutrient at the start.mine stayed cloudy when using the bread yeast but cleared up great using the wine yeast.
    Try tweaking the recipe a bit and using different fruits too

Advertisement