Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 month old dog with behavioural issues

• 05-03-2015 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I live and work in a rural area of Cork in a house on rented property. Although a dog paradise the area isn't fully enclosed so it doesn't pass the rehoming requirements of rescue centres. SO I looked to see if there were dogs for adoption on Adverts and found a lady looking to rehome a six month old GSD/Collie cross up in Portarlington. She said she didn't have time to look after her. She was a beautiful dog and I chatted with the lady about her, she sung her praises and said that she'll give a 'warning bark' whenever someone comes to the house as she's 'just protecting you'.

The dog was born on a farm and both parents were working dogs apparently. I don't know much about the background only that the family in portarlington had her at three months old.

I went up to see the dog but was surprised when she barked her head off at me in the kitchen, hiding under the table and refusing to come out except for treats which she willingly took. There were three young kids there and she was fine with them. She kept on barking at me and my gut was not to take her but I didn't listen and left with her. I would have felt bad for saying no I don't want her plus I'd just driven three hours and sure she's only a puppy and will probably get her confidence in a while.

So I have her 3 weeks now and things are not great. She's got a lot of confidence but she's pushy, aggressive, wary, and she barks her head off at strangers which is not great when we're out for a walk in what is a small town. She growls and lunges at people so I think a muzzle will have to be gotten soon.

I have been doing a lot of training, she's very smart and can do a lot of commands. I have been good with routine and walks. I had a good dog trainer here the other day which was great but she saw a lot of potential problems with the dog, and she also reckoned she's a terrier/collie not GSD/collie which I would probably agree with. The dog runs around behind someone to sniff at their heels which apparently is a precourser to nipping. I have been laying down the law but need to improve on ignoring attention seeking behaviour. Cars leaving/driving by are a big problem, if (accidentally) loose she will run after the car, and if on the lead on a country lane she strains like a lunatic and won't calm down.

There are also 2 jack russells that live beside us, they call for her and she goes out to play with them which socially is good for her but it doesn't help her behaviour. I make her sit/stay/lie down before she gets anything (ball/treat etc).

I don't have people come to the house often enough to try and desensitize her to visitors, however I will have kids down here soon and I'm nervous about this dog. Her personality is coming out more and it's going to be a real issue. I am trying hard with her but it is very stressful and while obviously I wish I never took her in the first place, I really don't know what to do with her now as I can't keep her long term if we don't achieve an improvement in behaviour.

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Lots of exercise might tire her out a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

[QUOTE=Alako;94555916 I had a good dog trainer here the other day which was great but she saw a lot of potential problems with the dog[/QUOTE]

A good trainer would give you an action plan of what to do or refer you to a behaviourist (if they're no qualified themselves) which is really what you need? What was the trainer's advise? Are you letting the dog "out to play" unsupervised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Alako

Thanks for the replies. DaUbiq, she's getting a tonne of exercise so thats not the issue.

tk123, the lady was a dog behaviourist and gave me lots of instruction as how to deal with her, no quick fix just lots of training practice and house rules laying down. She didn't mention not allowing unsupervised play. Dog comes back whenever I call her. The two terriers actually 'call' to the front door for her, so I've covered the bottom part of the door to restrict visiblitly a bit so I have a bit more control on when she gets out. I might just allow her out for 10-15 mins at a time or so and supervise to some degree. It's not a situation where I can ask the owner of the other two dogs to keep them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I wouldn't be letting a dog who I thought might nip let alone chase cars out off lead or unsupervised....maybe that's just me being a city slicker though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

You got the dog thinking it is part german shepard?
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html
    The rules state that these dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must:
    Be muzzled whenever they are in a public place

it sounds like you're going about things the right way but get him used to a muzzle asap or you're leaving yourself open for major trouble

• Advertisement
Advertisement