Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Is money still that big a factor though? Last summer showed we can throw cash round so why shouldn't we? With the new sponsor deal, and the probability of CL football returning, we don't need to be taking risks for fear of wasting money. We can afford to have a few younger risks and a big money signing or two as well.

The club aint broke, far from it, 100million on a player won't put a dent in our finances what it could do however is open up other clubs extorting us for lesser valued players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The club aint broke, far from it, 100million on a player won't put a dent in our finances what it could do however is open up other clubs extorting us for lesser valued players.

Of course it will... The club is in a good position financially but people are getting carried away. 100 million is a huge outlay for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Of course it will... The club is in a good position financially but people are getting carried away. 100 million is a huge outlay for United.

60 million on Di Maria and 37 million on Mata didnt stop us spending.

I agree with you btw that 100million could be better spent but if they choose to spend 100million on a player then surely the people running the club are in a better position to justify it than us.

60 million on Di Maria and 37 million on Mata didnt stop us spending.

I agree with you btw that 100million could be better spent but if they choose to spend 100million on a player then surely the people running the club are in a better position to justify it than us.

The majority of the money for Mata and Di Maria hasn't been paid yet and is still owed to the selling clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The majority of the money for Mata and Di Maria hasn't been paid yet and is still owed to the selling clubs.

Did you read this somewhere? I find it hard to imagine that with the way ffp is now and clubs having to ballance the books that Chelsea or madrid would sell a player on installments, finances would be all over the shop but as usual I'm probably wrong :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Always the case. Money is paid in installments.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Did you read this somewhere? I find it hard to imagine that with the way ffp is now and clubs having to ballance the books that Chelsea or madrid would sell a player on installments, finances would be all over the shop but as usual I'm probably wrong :):)

Yeah, I'm working under the assumption that this guy actually knows what he's talking about and isn't just talking a good game.

If you read it though, it all makes perfect sense.
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Always the case. Money is paid in installments.

Sure, but it means it's unlikely that kind of money will be spent again this year. If you look back at United's transfers over the years there's often a big summer followed by one or two quiet ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Most amazing and rare video of a UTD player I've ever seen

this will shock and amaze you

never thought I'd see anything like this

https://instagram.com/p/0t8v3PAo5v/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

^^fake

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

When we need a Right Back, a Centre back, a Centre Mid, arguably a Winger and a striker and POSSIBLY a Keeper - I have to imagine spending 80million or something on Bale would eat into that a lot.

You are looking at 20-30million on a keeper. 15-20 on a RB. apparently near 40mil on a CB (hummels) - so that is possibly 90million before you even hit midfield! While I expect sales, I would say DDG would be the only one to bring in decent coin and I would say we will spend as much, if not more, replacing him (given hsi contract situation).

Overall, I think United will have a lot to spend - but breaking the brit transfer record (again) for Bale would have to take a very significant chunk out of that.

I guess it will depend on what deals are done. I think we'll see another summer like last where we spend round 150m.

Alves is linked on a free, as is De Jong. Khedira is another name being linked in the last few days, also on a free. All three of them would be a massive lift to the squad in areas we need them, and for nothing.

I think worrying about buying a keeper is premature for the moment, and IF we do need one, the sale of De Gea will cover that financially.

I think we're probably going to be offloading Nani, Hernandez, possibly the likes of Evans, RVP (whose won't go for much but getting his wages off the bill will help), can't see Falcao staying (so, again, wages).

I think then that you could see Depay in for less than 20m, Hummels for round 30-40m, two of the free buys above, and then probably a superstar signing of some sorts.

As much as I want Rooney gone, I can't see it, so the superstar signing will probably be some form of attacker, and Bale is the one constantly linked. I think we do need a top level winger, and then have DiMaria one side and the new player the other. Could also be interesting that a Bale/De Gea deal could see Bale's cost drop drastically.

I think, though, we'd get Bale, Hummels, Depay, De Jong, Alves and possibly Khedira for the 150m, which solve pretty much all the major problems there at the moment.

(Typing quickly; fully expect someone to go "ur havin' a laugh!" at my predictions :P)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I guess it will depend on what deals are done. I think we'll see another summer like last where we spend round 150m.

Alves is linked on a free, as is De Jong. Khedira is another name being linked in the last few days, also on a free. All three of them would be a massive lift to the squad in areas we need them, and for nothing.

I think worrying about buying a keeper is premature for the moment, and IF we do need one, the sale of De Gea will cover that financially.

I think we're probably going to be offloading Nani, Hernandez, possibly the likes of Evans, RVP (whose won't go for much but getting his wages off the bill will help), can't see Falcao staying (so, again, wages).

I think then that you could see Depay in for less than 20m, Hummels for round 30-40m, two of the free buys above, and then probably a superstar signing of some sorts.

As much as I want Rooney gone, I can't see it, so the superstar signing will probably be some form of attacker, and Bale is the one constantly linked. I think we do need a top level winger, and then have DiMaria one side and the new player the other. Could also be interesting that a Bale/De Gea deal could see Bale's cost drop drastically.

I think, though, we'd get Bale, Hummels, Depay, De Jong, Alves and possibly Khedira for the 150m, which solve pretty much all the major problems there at the moment.

(Typing quickly; fully expect someone to go "ur havin' a laugh!" at my predictions :P)

rooney gone?????

bangkok wrote: »
    rooney gone?????

I've not made much secret about my thoughts on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

When we need a Right Back, a Centre back, a Centre Mid, arguably a Winger and a striker and POSSIBLY a Keeper - I have to imagine spending 80million or something on Bale would eat into that a lot.

You are looking at 20-30million on a keeper. 15-20 on a RB. apparently near 40mil on a CB (hummels) - so that is possibly 90million before you even hit midfield! While I expect sales, I would say DDG would be the only one to bring in decent coin and I would say we will spend as much, if not more, replacing him (given hsi contract situation).

Overall, I think United will have a lot to spend - but breaking the brit transfer record (again) for Bale would have to take a very significant chunk out of that.

Why on Earth would United spend 20-30 million on a keeper if DDG leaves when Valdes is one of the best in the world, suits the current style and is already at the club?!

Clyne will have a year left on his contract so over 10-15m on him would be getting ridiculous.

40m for any CB is getting to silly territory and that's pure panic stations numbers, no way even Hummels will cost that much, another bit of fairytale thinking.

Please don't start panicking early this time again Mitch, very little needs to be dobe with the current squad to make them title contenders, any chance of some positivity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah that's €55m with the current exchange rate. Woodward must be loving this, hopefully the Euro continues in it's QE.

Liam O wrote: »
    Why on Earth would United spend 20-30 million on a keeper if DDG leaves when Valdes is one of the best in the world, suits the current style and is already at the club?!

We don't know what Valdes is like right now; Falcao is an example of how just because a player was world class doesn't mean they can come back from an injury and pick up at that level. At the very least if De Gea went, I'd want us after a keeper good enough to be a No.1 if Valdes didn't work out.

Anyway, some reports about Liverpool wanting Hernandez and offering 14m for him, which is a figure thats way over his value. Swap for Sterling? :P

I would cry many salty tears if Hernandez went to Liverpool.

I've not made much secret about my thoughts on him.

ha must have missed that.... do you get as much grief as I get over fellaini? :p

We don't know what Valdes is like right now; Falcao is an example of how just because a player was world class doesn't mean they can come back from an injury and pick up at that level. At the very least if De Gea went, I'd want us after a keeper good enough to be a No.1 if Valdes didn't work out.

Anyway, some reports about Liverpool wanting Hernandez and offering 14m for him, which is a figure thats way over his value. Swap for Sterling? :P

when sunderland offer Liverpool 14m for Borini, Hernandez has to be worth 28m :)

ha must have missed that.... do you get as much grief as I get over fellaini? :p

No, but then Rooney hasn't been playing like Fellaini recently :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I always respected Valdes, but didn't particularly rate him and I would never have wanted us to buy him. He is 33, was allowed to leave Barcelona on a free and when he returned from his serious injury did not have any clubs lining up to take him even on a free transfer. That says a lot to me.

I had no issue with him on a free transfer as a back up to De Gea, but thats a whole different kettle of fish to thinking he should be our first choice. He is not one of the best in the world, not right now, and more than that we have no idea whatsoever how he would perform for us. Suits our current style? He hasn't played, how do you even know that?

If De Gea leaves then no, I don't want Valdes starting the season as our number 1 keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think Hernandez would flourish under this LvG system. Hanging on the shoulder and getting on to the end of whipped balls in from Di Maria, Mata and Winger #2. Rooney and his ****e form relegated to the bench to cuddle RvP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3030266/Ander-Herrera-monitored-Barcelona-Catalan-giants-search-Xavi-replacement.html

Barca scouting Herrera. Though we have to ignore Herrera's recent comments about wanting to be here for years, and the fact Barca can't do business for a while anyway....

In fairness, Herrera wasn't some diamond in the rough we unearthed. Before we were ever linked with him there was some pretty stern forecasting in Spain that when Iniesta and Xavi started to be phased out, Koke and Herrera would be the new look Spain midfield with Illermendi(jesus spell check) replacing Busquets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Clyne will have a year left on his contract so over 10-15m on him would be getting ridiculous.

40m for any CB is getting to silly territory and that's pure panic stations numbers, no way even Hummels will cost that much, another bit of fairytale thinking.

Please don't start panicking early this time again Mitch, very little needs to be dobe with the current squad to make them title contenders, any chance of some positivity?
    If Valdes was one of the best in the world, he would have got a contract to play first team football somewhere rather than do nothing at United for 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I think Hernandez would flourish under this LvG system. Hanging on the shoulder and getting on to the end of whipped balls in from Di Maria, Mata and Winger #2. Rooney and his ****e form relegated to the bench to cuddle RvP.

Never really got the love for Hernandez from a lot of fans hes a good player but nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I always respected Valdes, but didn't particularly rate him and I would never have wanted us to buy him. He is 33, was allowed to leave Barcelona on a free and when he returned from his serious injury did not have any clubs lining up to take him even on a free transfer. That says a lot to me.

I had no issue with him on a free transfer as a back up to De Gea, but thats a whole different kettle of fish to thinking he should be our first choice. He is not one of the best in the world, not right now, and more than that we have no idea whatsoever how he would perform for us. Suits our current style? He hasn't played, how do you even know that?

If De Gea leaves then no, I don't want Valdes starting the season as our number 1 keeper.

He was allowed to leave because he announced he won't sign extension.

When he returned from serious injury he was already training with ManUtd, so other clubs had no clue about his fitness level. One of the biggest club in the world signed him as soon as he was back from injury.

Saying that I wouldn't be happy with Valdes as first choice. He is not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Technically Valdes may not be the absolute best option out there in terms of a potential number 1, if DDG leaves, but one thing is for sure he will have the temperment to do the job which is absolutely critical for this particular position. We have seen in the past many a very good goalkeeper struggle, not from a technical point of view but more mentally thus leading to uncharacteristic errors of a top keeper.
    Valdes may not be capable of making some of the worldies DDG does but I'd say he'd be steady out and would make few enough errors.
    As the team progresses and becomes more and more solid, we'll need less world class saves to keep our head above water and more calmness and solidity.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    One of the biggest club in the world signed him as soon as he was back from injury.

One of the biggest clubs in the world told him he could sit on their bench behind their undisputed number one.

If he is one of the worlds best, where were all the offers from slightly smaller clubs who could have actually given him game time?

At the time he signed for us Liverpool were playing Brad Jones in goal, why didn't one agent call another and make an offer? First team football for another of the worlds biggest clubs, not a bad alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

One of the biggest clubs in the world told him he could sit on their bench behind their undisputed number one.

If he is one of the worlds best, where were all the offers from slightly smaller clubs who could have actually given him game time?

At the time he signed for us Liverpool were playing Brad Jones in goal, why didn't one agent call another and make an offer? First team football for another of the worlds biggest clubs, not a bad alternative.

Weren't Liverpool after him for months? remember it was pretty likely he was gonna sign for them until we came in.

Liverpool were reportedly after him and he turned them down to stay with us.

• Advertisement

Liverpool were reportedly after him and he turned them down to stay with us.
    more so turned them down to sign for us, rather than stay with us. Apparently he much preferred the set up at United. There are also whispers he was told DDG will be leaving in the summer.

more so turned them down to sign for us, rather than stay with us. Apparently he much preferred the set up at United. There are also whispers he was told DDG will be leaving in the summer.

like reading an article from the Sun newspaper :pac:

Can we take solace that the same whispers now say Valdes wants out cause he's been told De Gea is staying :pac:

Can we take solace that the same whispers now say Valdes wants out cause he's been told De Gea is staying :pac:
    hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭davehey79

Apologies if posted already ! Just got a random email from one of the Thai Jersey sales sites and they have this version for sale

17081412419700-5071762.jpg

Very reminiscent of this one (minus the background adidas sign and lines)
    IMG_2963.JPG

You're right, clearly that means Brad Jones>Valdes.

Look, this time last year Valdes was number 1 for Barcelona, he'd still be there if he didn't want to move on, probably to make a bit of dosh at another big club. His injury took that from him, I doubt goalkeeper is a position that an injury like that is going to have a huge effect on your ability. I know people still bust out the BS like they did with De Gea about crosses and such but it's little more than that. BS. He's been one of the best keepers around for years and never got the credit. He won't be 2nd choice for long.

• Advertisement

He won't be 2nd choice for long.

Why is he 2nd choice at all?

Won't be 2nd choice for long? So what is it about sitting on Uniteds bench that is going to make him more attractive to other teams, apart from getting older and rustier?

Why is he 2nd choice at all?

Won't be 2nd choice for long? So what is it about sitting on Uniteds bench that is going to make him more attractive to other teams, apart from getting older and rustier?

petr cech says hello

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

petr cech says hello

Hardly an adequate example considering Cech could be leaving in the next window.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

From Talksport

"Ander Herrera has a 100% success rate with shots on target in the Premier League"

That's surely not legit??

irishfeen wrote: »
    From Talksport

"Ander Herrera has a 100% success rate with shots on target in the Premier League"

presume it means any shot he has had that has been on target has resulted in a goal? maybe it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

irishfeen wrote: »
    From Talksport

It is since hes only had 4 or 5 shots on target.

John O Shea had the same record a few years ago with 2 shots I think :pac:

Good lad, doesn't pull the trigger and turn over possession unless he's sure it's going in. :pac:

Yeah I can't remember Herrera drawing a save from the keeper yet, though I do remember him knocking one or two shots wide. So far, every time he has hit the target he has hit the net, not a bad quality to have in a CM at United.

Obviously the more shots he takes now that he is a staple of the 11, the more that stat could get diluted down. But there's no denying, he knows all too well when to take a shot on and when to recycle possession plus he can actually strike a ball. The same can be said about Mata.

Hopefully they will shine for us on Sunday.

On this date last year, Paddy Evra made us think that we were going to beat Bayern in the Allianz for all of one minute, and a glorious minute it was...

http://gfycat.com/LazyShoddyDodo

Build-up, goal and celebration: https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_n3vl0gv5mC1qcs3bm.mp4

petr cech says hello

The quality of your posting continues to amaze.

stankratz wrote: »

My favourite part of that GIF is when Mum pops up to say "(smiley)(smiley)(smiley)" as it goes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

On this date last year, Paddy Evra made us think that we were going to beat Bayern in the Allianz for all of one minute, and a glorious minute it was...

Build-up, goal and celebration: https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_n3vl0gv5mC1qcs3bm.mp4

To think it was only a year ago we had Fletcher in the XI away to one of the worlds best teams compared to our midfield now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Manchester United Squad v Bayern - 09/04/14

01 de Gea
    04 Jones
    03 Evra
    16 Carrick
    12 Smalling
    15 Vidic
    25 A Valencia
    24 Fletcher
    10 Rooney
    26 Kagawa
    19 Welbeck

Substitutes
    05 Ferdinand
    11 Giggs
    13 Lindegaard
    14 Hernández
    18 Young
    28 Büttner
    44 Januzaj

Manchester United Starting Lineup v Aston Villa - 04/04/15 - Those who survive in bold

01 de Gea
    25 A Valencia
    04 Jones
    05 Rojo
    17 Blind
    16 Carrick
    08 Mata
    21 Herrera
    31 Fellaini
    18 Young
    10 Rooney

Substitutes
    02 Rafael
    07 Di María
    09 Falcao
    11 Januzaj
    32 Valdés
    33 McNair
    44 Pereira

Jesus the culling has been exceptional - the team has been transformed in the space of 3 transfer windows. I don't think we can blame Manchester United of shying away from the work that needed to be done.

Spazdarn wrote: »
    Hardly an adequate example considering Cech could be leaving in the next window.

As opposed to Valdes who's certain to stay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Herrera must be the best all rounder in the league between passing, tackling, intercepting, goal scoring I doubt any other player has been that well rounded this season

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement