Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

zerks wrote: »
    Chicharito scores for Madrid.

Must have been reading the thread :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Dortmund are two down at Borussia Park, and Hummels was a show for Gladbach's second. Diving in well up the field, didn't have a clue. Then Hermann streaked past Subotic for good measure.

He is still a world cup winning defender I say most of the Dortmund team are playing with there heads up they ass because of the best players leaving ect. Id be confident hummels would be excelent defender for us surrounded by right people and some confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

jayo26 wrote: »
    He is still a world cup winning defender I say most of the Dortmund team are playing with there heads up they ass because of the best players leaving ect. Id be confident hummels would be excelent defender for us surrounded by right people and some confidence.

His development has completely plateaued and he's in terrible form. Throw in plenty of injuries on top of that as well. I know this isn't how market value works but anything above 25M Euro and I would feel a bit sick. Had another shocker for Gladbach's third, running in from the edge of the box towards the six yard line for some reason, didn't get near the danger.

The other reported target from Dortmund fared much better. Gundogan banged in Dortmund's goal and had a decent game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Spurs look to be in horrific form

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

We're 8 points clear of 7th with a game in hand now, so I think it's safe to say we'll be getting European Football of some sort anyway, as well as improving on last years final standing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They are no good.
    Far too soft and predictable,they play like a tippy tappy five aside team .
    They havent been the same team since Harry left them ,he had them playing scintillating football until the England job publicity derailed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lord TSC wrote: »
    We're 8 points clear of 7th with a game in hand now, so I think it's safe to say we'll be getting European Football of some sort anyway, as well as improving on last years final standing :pac:

Feck off with your hints of Europa League,CL is where it's at for us next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Southampton leapfrog Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

His development has completely plateaued and he's in terrible form. Throw in plenty of injuries on top of that as well. I know this isn't how market value works but anything above 25M Euro and I would feel a bit sick. Had another shocker for Gladbach's third, running in from the edge of the box towards the six yard line for some reason, didn't get near the danger.

The other reported target from Dortmund fared much better. Gundogan banged in Dortmund's goal and had a decent game.

United's negotiators ought to be using Hummels poor form to talk the price down as much as possible. He might regain his form with a change of scenery and a new challenge, or he may never hit those heights again. Its hard to play well in a team that's playing inexplicably badly, but I'd be a lot more confident about spending big money on him if he was standing out in a poor team rather than playing as badly as anyone around him.

Imagine if we had spent 49 million sterling on Falcao last summer - that was a similar situation with a top class player with some baggage in terms of injury that meant there was significant risk he wouldn't perform like he had previously. At least the loan deal offers the ability to try before you buy and cut your losses. I'd wonder if something similar could be struck for Hummels? Or Strootman for that matter who is another player with long term injury concerns.

But ultimately United room for manoeuvre to minimise the risk and the price is limited if other clubs come in and are willing to take the risk and put down big money with no strings or complicated deals attached. If LVG thinks Hummels form is only temporary, then he'll buy him and he will spend whatever it takes to get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Sand wrote: »
    United's negotiators ought to be using Hummels poor form to talk the price down as much as possible. He might regain his form with a change of scenery and a new challenge, or he may never hit those heights again. Its hard to play well in a team that's playing inexplicably badly, but I'd be a lot more confident about spending big money on him if he was standing out in a poor team rather than playing as badly as anyone around him.

Imagine if we had spent 49 million sterling on Falcao last summer - that was a similar situation with a top class player with some baggage in terms of injury that meant there was significant risk he wouldn't perform like he had previously. At least the loan deal offers the ability to try before you buy and cut your losses. I'd wonder if something similar could be struck for Hummels? Or Strootman for that matter who is another player with long term injury concerns.

But ultimately United room for manoeuvre to minimise the risk and the price is limited if other clubs come in and are willing to take the risk and put down big money with no strings or complicated deals attached. If LVG thinks Hummels form is only temporary, then he'll buy him and he will spend whatever it takes to get him.

Pretty much how I feel about Hummels too. I wouldn't be complaining if he was a United player but the price it would likely cost to land him and wages would be a concern.

• Advertisement

I wonder could Thiago Silva be tempted out of Ligue 1? If you're going to spend big on a defender...

He's at an age now where he could be thinking where he would see out his years with one last big move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I'm just back from 9 days in Vegas and LA and off again to Manchester at 5am for a full day on the piss before the game.....love it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm just back from 9 days in Vegas and LA and off again to Manchester at 5am for a full day on the piss before the game.....love it!
    I'm just sitting down to a quarter pounder with cheese and a bag of chips.

I think we both know who the winner in this situation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I wonder could Thiago Silva be tempted out of Ligue 1? If you're going to spend big on a defender...

He's at an age now where he could be thinking where he would see out his years with one last big move.

I doubt it, he's at PSG with his best friend side show bob. I think I read somewhere where they've always wanted to play in the same team since they were boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

"I have a radio in my car."

Hernandez would be mad to stay at Real Madrid. He's viewed as being a squad player at best there, a squad player at best at Man Utd. He needs to drop a level and find a team where he will be the undisputed #9 and then he will score goals. He is 27 this summer, he is not a young hopeful anymore. He needs to find a team where he can play consistently.

Sand wrote: »
    Hernandez would be mad to stay at Real Madrid. He's viewed as being a squad player at best there, a squad player at best at Man Utd. He needs to drop a level and find a team where he will be the undisputed #9 and then he will score goals. He is 27 this summer, he is not a young hopeful anymore. He needs to find a team where he can play consistently.

I suppose it depends on priorities; perhaps some players are happy to be in the world's best squads rather than be in poorer squads and the top guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I'm on a detox plan from my gym all I've eaten for 7 days is lettuce and boiled chicken! I'd kick my mother down the stairs for a lick of a chip!!

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on priorities; perhaps some players are happy to be in the world's best squads rather than be in poorer squads and the top guy.

I guess. And I suppose every organisation needs its water carriers. My concern is that the United squad has been overstocked in recent years with players who are content, and their development and the performances of the team have reflected that. There will always be first team players, but if the squad players are content with that state of affairs it leads to declining standards in the squad and in the first team who ought to be looking over their shoulders but who don't feel there is any challenge. The likes of O'Shea, Brown, Butt and even Phil Neville all had enough ambition and belief in themselves to want to move on and play. The likes of Anderson on the other hand, did not. We want more squad players of the former type than the latter.

I don't think Hernandez is content with being a squad player (he's already complained loudly about not getting games at Real, and moved from United when told by LVG that he wouldn't get games there either), but I don't think he is good enough to dislodge Rooney from #9 and he's not much younger than Rooney so by the time Rooney declines with age, Hernandez wont be too far behind him on that decline.

If he stays on at United, I wont be too bothered as he has talent to fill in when needed, but it would be bad for him and would be bad for players like Wilson who *might* grow to be better than Henandez if they get the opportunities. Best thing for Hernandez is to move and to get games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Gundogan could stay fit he has everything to be one of the best around

It's a big if though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

If Gundogan could stay fit he has everything to be one of the best around

It's a big if though

We could rebuild him. We have the money, we have the technology... :cool:

MagicIRL wrote: »

And plenty of practice trying to put Jones etc. back together.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I'm on a detox plan from my gym all I've eaten for 7 days is lettuce and boiled chicken! I'd kick my mother down the stairs for a lick of a chip!!

snackbox2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

The 16 million dollar man ;)

And plenty of practice trying to put Jones etc. back together.

Don't forget Mick Owen & Owen Hargreaves!!

Fúck you very much Homer! :pac:

MrMac84 wrote: »

u3ohxLN.gif

snackbox2.png

Evil….........

But genius!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

have one spare for tomorrow now as one of the lads due to travel with us cannot go, lower strettie face value, €39...i can meet in manchester for anybody who wants/needs it.

PM me if you want it (or those who have my number give me a bell asap), i wont be checking this forum but ill see the alert for new PM....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Kompany bitching about FFP

The Telegraph: Vincent Kompany: FFP is deliberately designed to stop Man City from competing with 'old order' like Man Utd. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw4L3VphI

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

If RVP is going we could do a lot worse than Benteke. Would much rather him than Cavani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Discodog wrote: »

The Telegraph: Vincent Kompany: FFP is deliberately designed to stop Man City from competing with 'old order' like Man Utd. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw4L3VphI

Ed Woodward's reaction to FFP

w505dgW.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Think Cleverly just set up the Villa goal. Side note, but Benteke is way too good to be playing for Villa.

Uh unless he had a skin graft, think aul Clevs has no claim to that assist. Benteke is just fine at the Villa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Did anyone see Jamie Jackson's combined 11?
    GK was Joe Hart.
    City and England’s 27-year-old keeper edges out David de Gea with a combination of his fine season and the Spaniard’s recent slips, specifically: allowing a Daniel Sturridge shot through from a tight angle against Liverpool, and failing to keep out Christian Benteke’s shot against Villa. Hart is not in by default, however: his recent series of stellar displays included last month’s phenomenal night at the Camp Nou against Lionel Messi and company.

And he is paid to write about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Did anyone see Jamie Jackson's combined 11?
    GK was Joe Hart.

And he is paid to write about football.

Someone should sent these onto him....

Everton-v-Manchester-City.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Keno wrote: »
    Ed Woodward's reaction to FFP

w505dgW.gif

God I love that movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

No player should be moaning about FFP. The game has gone mental with massive transfers and wages in the last 10 years. Clubs should have to spend within their means. It's the only way that smaller teams will be able to keep up at all without finding a sugar daddy.

I think the only teams you'll find really complaining about FFP are the ones that have spent ridiculous money to try and buy a title. Sure, United have spent big in the past and even last summer, but within the clubs means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Hah. Utd are on top in FFP but means very little to be honest.

It means a lot for teams like City though. What it means is that City have to buy good players that they will play rather than just buying all the expensive players they can find and hoping some of them will be worthwhile.

I mean they might have to go as far as Arsenal and do some actual scouting and maybe add only 1-2 players a season.

I mean look at all the bloody players they have bought and I imagine that if you really look at their squad and who they can be happy about, you get

???
    Zab - ??? - Kompany - ???
    ???
    Toure - Silva
    ???
    ???
    Ageuro

Wow, five players.

Man Utd aren't City's problem and neither is FFP. If anything it'll help them by making them pay attention to who they're signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

When you see Kompany complaining, it would make it great if we win today and Liverpool tomorrow. Don't think Spurs or Southampton have it to overtake City, not saying Liverpool have, but they look the most likely of any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Just listening to Sunday Supplement and they were moaning about ffp, saying it kills the dream. Well Chelsea were about to do a Leeds, and City were bottom of the table padding, so clubs like Spurs, Everton could have had several chances at playing champions league football and continue their growth of the club the right way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I can see this lot pulling out a performance today despite their form, it's not going to be easy. We've sat back against them over the last few years and we've made it easy for them to beat us, a bit of guile and determination needed today to get a result, but they have players who have been producing the goods for years now so they are capable of sucker punching us.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Today we play Manchester City and we will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

United will be hurting
    - Kompany.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32260550

Hopefully you will be at 6pm this evening, Vincent ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

FFP is 100% designed as a protection racket for the pre-existing elite clubs tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

keane2097 wrote: »
    FFP is 100% designed as a protection racket for the pre-existing elite clubs tbf.

What makes you say that?

I'm not saying I have any convincing argument to the contrary, I'm just interested to know of any evidence/argument either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

FFP is to stop situations like Leeds happening. The model where youy spend, spend, spend with no proper revenue to sustain the business is unsustainable.

Chelsea, Man City, PSG, Monaco and so would be in serious trouble if their owners got bored and decided to leave the sport. These clubs would not have the revenue to sustain business if they were not compliant with FFP.

The elite clubs as you call them, have the support and it is upto clubs to make sure they have the revenue to run a proper business to sustain the sport.

I remember the talk two years ago when Ed was signing sponsors like no tomorrow and the fans were wondering where the new players were, since all we were getting were new sponsors and money making deals.
    Some were calling for Ed to go.

Every club would love an Ed Woodward, record breaking sponsor deals, record revenue for the club and last summer we saw the results of it.
    United have turned the tide on their debt to the point no one really talks about it as it is very sustainable. Then the club is making the money so the fans can dream of the players we can sign, which are the very best in the world.
    That is how a club should be run. This is why United can use it's very strong business model to compete with oil barons, terrorist supporting nations who put their names on shirts and who use slavery, and Russian billionaires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

RobertKK wrote: »
    FFP is to stop situations like Leeds happening. The model where youy spend, spend, spend with no proper revenue to sustain the business is unsustainable.

Chelsea, Man City, PSG, Monaco and so would be in serious trouble if their owners got bored and decided to leave the sport. These clubs would not have the revenue to sustain business if they were not compliant with FFP.

The elite clubs as you call them, have the support and it is upto clubs to make sure they have the revenue to run a proper business to sustain the sport.

I remember the talk two years ago when Ed was signing sponsors like no tomorrow and the fans were wondering where the new players were, since all we were getting were new sponsors and money making deals.
    Some were calling for Ed to go.

Every club would love an Ed Woodward, record breaking sponsor deals, record revenue for the club and last summer we saw the results of it.
    United have turned the tide on their debt to the point no one really talks about it as it is very sustainable. Then the club is making the money so the fans can dream of the players we can sign, which are the very best in the world.
    That is how a club should be run. This is why United can use it's very strong business model to compete with oil barons, terrorist supporting nations who put their names on shirts and who use slavery, and Russian billionaires.

3385870.gif

keane2097 wrote: »

Even if that was the case, would it be a bad thing?
    Would it be fair if Spurs and Everton were taken over by owners with limitless funding to sew up the top 4 along with Chelsea and City every season. leaving big clubs that have spent decades building up their standing in the game to eventually pale into insignificance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement