Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Watching it back we got a fair bit of luck tbh, Van Gaal should be giving a few of them a knowing smile tomorrow morning as in "you're lucky you didn't feck it all up" smile

Defending was a free for all at times, it's surprising how Blind hasn't cost us yet

Top 4 is priority this season and we're on course but we have a lot to learn and improve along with bringing one or two first teamers in too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Oh do one. Yeah, because we won no games then either? He did what he thought was right with players he spends every day of the week with. Do you want an applause for supposedly being right or something? Just bloody be happy - we won 4-2 against City. Does it have to come with a 'but' at the end of it?

I'm sorry I offended your delicate sensibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Is that a pic of LiamO and Bangkok?

lol well played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Liam O wrote: »
    There was a plan to what Moyes was doing in fairness but it required getting to the end of the season for the clearout first.
    There really wasn't though, the team became more and more incoherent as the season wore on and he lost them entirely. The Fulham and City games were the absolute breaking point.

For all the talk of LVG having new signings, it was nicely brushed over by many that he lost an absolute tonne of experience in Ferdinand, Giggs, Vidic and Evra (the first three of which were gone before he even arrived) and had to play with teenagers at CB and more teens or wingers at FB. As well as having a crucial player in Carrick out for the first three months of the season.

What I wanted from this season was a top four finish, a plan of what brand of football would work best for us, and a clear idea of who else was to go and what type of players needed to be brought in in their place at the the end of the year. LVG has delivered on all of these fronts (not quite top 4 yet but we are extremely close), and done so despite some exceptionally difficult circumstances for the first third of the whole season. Not only that, but while it is extremely unlikely he has also put us in a position where we might even be able to make a small bit of a title run right at the end, if Chelsea falter.

Where Moyes fell very short of expectations, LVG has met if not exceeded them.

I don't dislike motes at all, and I am happy to see him doing ok at Sociedad. But he clearly was not the right man for the job at Old Trafford.

Billy86 wrote: »
    For all the talk of LVG having new signings, it was nicely brushed over by many that he lost an absolute tonne of experience in Ferdinand, Giggs, Vidic and Evra

Does anybody know how Evra has done this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Is that a pic of LiamO and Bangkok?

Ha, Young trebled his assists in the league today and doubled his goals. It'll take more than one game where he was great to change my mind on him being a regular starter. But like I've said, a good player to have on backup. Surprising that his good game came against the by far the best right back he's played the last few games so that's encouraging. I do like that he seems like a genuinely nice guy and helps team spirit but his ability is still lacking. Who knows though, more games like today and he could change my mind. Finally some end product to go with the positions he gets himself into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

De Gea really is such a vital part of the current success. He did fantastic when navas got clean through today and the couple of times he had to leave his area to sweep up. Even backpasses to him found a player as compared to hart who either made them 50/50 punts or found touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

De Gea really is such a vital part of the current success. He did fantastic when navas got clean through today and the couple of times he had to leave his area to sweep up. Even backpasses to him found a player as compared to hart who either made them 50/50 punts or found touch.

I really thought he saved Aguero's effort for their second goal.

"What a f*cking saaa...awwh"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I really thought he saved Aguero's effort for their second goal.

"What a f*cking saaa...awwh"

For that goal I actually think he was caught in two minds; whether to get a strong hand on it and grasp it back into his body, or, just push it away around the post it went in off. An inch further away from him or closer to him and I think he saves it since he doesn't have to make a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

God you really cannot give him any credit at all, can you.

Baby Steps BC thats the first time he has used his name in a non negative way. Soon he will see the affro for the trees

• Advertisement

Love LvG's interviews, the sh*te he talks.
    Delighted with the result so he can go to Wings for dinner :pac:

Liam O wrote: »
    Ha, Young trebled his assists in the league today and doubled his goals. It'll take more than one game where he was great to change my mind on him being a regular starter. But like I've said, a good player to have on backup. Surprising that his good game came against the by far the best right back he's played the last few games so that's encouraging. I do like that he seems like a genuinely nice guy and helps team spirit but his ability is still lacking. Who knows though, more games like today and he could change my mind. Finally some end product to go with the positions he gets himself into.

Ah it was just tongue in cheek cause you guys are so bullish about the two players tbf I dont think Young will be starting next season but I think on performances he has deserved his place and maybe hopefully he will prove me wrong next season. Never seen him interviewed before but thought he came across very well after the game.

I really have to say it brings me so much joy to see Fellaini playing well not sure ive ever seen a united player booed by his own crowd just speaks volumes of the man to come back from that and go off today to a standing ovation

#welldonefellaini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

LVG can't lose it seems. He ignored Herrera and Felliani for long stretches of the season, played people out of position and tried to force formations onto a squad that didn't suit them, and of course performances suffered because of it. Finally he started doing the simple obvious things like playing Herrera and putting Rooney up front, and so performances improved. Now people say that all that ****ing about earlier in the season was all just part of the plan. Yeah, sure it was. Give him all the praise he deserves now, but whats the point in whitewashing the earlier mistakes?

Regardless, delighted with todays game. It always feels better when we deserve a big win as opposed to snatching the points, and we deserved that today. Totally in control against the super rich former champions, thats as big a result as you can have in this league.

For all my criticisms over the last two years one thing I've constantly repeated was that the talent was there, it was just being misused. Even just a few months ago many people were of the opinion that the squad needed a complete rebuild, that this summer needed to see a big clear out. I wonder if those views have now changed, because the last few games have demonstrated beyond any doubt that we have the players, we always did.

He's played funny systems and tried players in different positions. he's tried different things and being a manager of a new team that's to be expected. Your example of Rooney being deployed in midfield is a fair one but it's also something I and a lot of fans wanted to see. I always thought Rooney was built for CM and even Fergie wanted to try him there. Obviously it didn't work.

As crazy as it is he didn't pick a blindingly obvious solution. Put the team up as they lined out today 4 weeks ago and there would be a lot of debate. For example Mata can't play on the left, Di Maria should start over Young, Mata should be playing behind Rooney, Raf for Valencia etc.

We have implemented a possession style of play which we just have become more comfortable with over the last month. LVG shouldn't be criticised for trying new things. Look at Bayern, Schweinsteiger was a winger before LVG cane along and plonked him in CM and Alaba was a CM and is now a quality full back. He might be unorthodox but he gets it right more often than not. I'm more than happy to let him try different things, his previous success gives me confidence that he knows what he is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'm sorry I offended your delicate sensibilities.

I'm sorry you can't be happy without having to say you're 'right'.

I'm sorry you can't be happy without having to say you're 'right'.

Perhaps you should discuss Manchester United and not individual posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Ah it was just tongue in cheek cause you guys are so bullish about the two players tbf I dont think Young will be starting next season but I think on performances he has deserved his place and maybe hopefully he will prove me wrong next season. Never seen him interviewed before but thought he came across very well after the game.

I really have to say it brings me so much joy to see Fellaini playing well not sure ive ever seen a united player booed by his own crowd just speaks volumes of the man to come back from that and go off today to a standing ovation

#welldonefellaini

Just regarding Young, I slated the guy last year and even before, thought he was one of the worst players to ever play for united. The turn around this season has been incredible, he deserves his place and if his form I'd maintained then I'd gladly leave him in the team, his work rate has improved dramatically and he is very comfortable on the ball and has formed a decent understanding with Blind. Deserves the credit and is in the team on merit.

Perhaps you should discuss Manchester United and not individual posters.

But it's alright to discuss how most of the posters feel as a group? Just not you on your own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cork win, Hibs win, United win and backed Speith to win Masters.(re gambling thread for after timers)

Think that's calls for pint of Carlsburg.

Woop woop. Feck work tomorrow ;)

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/587335309974700032

So the BBC has us going from Triangles to Boxes (squares) in a few weeks cant wait till we have gone full circle and are back winning the league

duffman13 wrote: »
    Just regarding Young, I slated the guy last year and even before, thought he was one of the worst players to ever play for united. The turn around this season has been incredible, he deserves his place and if his form I'd maintained then I'd gladly leave him in the team, his work rate has improved dramatically and he is very comfortable on the ball and has formed a decent understanding with Blind. Deserves the credit and is in the team on merit.

Ya I 100% agree I just think he will have to play extremely well to keep out Di Maria next season who will hopefully go on to improve but if his perfromances warrant it he deserves his place. Form over reputaion for me.

• Advertisement

But it's alright to discuss how most of the posters feel as a group? Just not you on your own?

You can discuss whatever you want. But if the guy has a personal problem with me I don't really see the point in discussing it in a thread that is generally used for discussing Manchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I googled the video to see the goals , and it was a foreign language , but I heard the commentator say that 2 of the MU goals were offside .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Cork win, Hibs win, United win and backed Speith to win Masters.(re gambling thread for after timers)

What odd was speith at stsrt of it?

Love LvG's interviews, the sh*te he talks.
    Delighted with the result so he can go to Wings for dinner :pac:

He's a pure headcase! Wing's are getting great publicity from LVG this season, must see about trying it next time I'm around Manchester again :pac:

"...have maybe a dinner in Wings again. That I like, that I like, and em...now I can also go to Wing's because when you lose you cannot go, yeh? You know that, because then people are saying 'What is he doing? He lost today.' But now I have won, now I can go!"

-LVG, deadly serious, in the immediate aftermath of Man United 4-2 Man City.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I googled the video to see the goals , and it was a foreign language , but I heard the commentator say that 2 of the MU goals were offside .

Mata's is defiantly offside, the other is fellaini but I think he was not offside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

You can discuss whatever you want. But if the guy has a personal problem with me I don't really see the point in discussing it in a thread that is generally used for discussing Manchester United.

It's nothing personal at all. I just really can't understand the 'see I told you so' attitude when we have very little insight into the day to day workings of the club, and we were still winning games when everyone was pretty much in agreement that top four was all that mattered regardless. Now we're playing well and instead of being happy it's 'oh well we could have done this earlier'. Bloody hell.

Good man yourself Kew, I completely forgot until I read your post that I had this little bonus sitting in my Boylesports account...

2ueof12.png

Great fúcking day! :D

stankratz wrote: »
    Good man yourself Kew, I completely forgot until I read your post that I had this little bonus sitting in my Boylesports account...

2ueof12.png

Great fúcking day! :D

Jesus that was good price. Well done mate.

racso1975 wrote: »
    What odd was speith at stsrt of it?

Think he was around 10s or 12s when it started. He was 2nd favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

That was a bit good!

Ander Herrera is rapidly becoming my favourite United player, the man must have covered more ground than any other player today and is a huge reason for our turn around. Super player and as close as we will get to Paul Scholes anytime soon.

Will enjoy this one for a few days.

That was a bit good!

Ander Herrera is rapidly becoming my favourite United player, the man must have covered more ground than any other player today and is a huge reason for our turn around. Super player and as close as we will get to Paul Scholes anytime soon.

Will enjoy this one for a few days.

Better then Vegas I bet!! ;)

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/587335309974700032

So the BBC has us going from Triangles to Boxes (squares) in a few weeks cant wait till we have gone full circle and are back winning the league

Pythagoras must be well chuffed tonight I'd say!

stankratz wrote: »
    He's a pure headcase! Wing's are getting great publicity from LVG this season, must see about trying it next time I'm around Manchester again :pac:

"...have maybe a dinner in Wings again. That I like, that I like, and em...now I can also go to Wing's because when you lose you cannot go, yeh? You know that, because then people are saying 'What is he doing? He lost today.' But now I have won, now I can go!"

-LVG, deadly serious, in the immediate aftermath of Man United 4-2 Man City.

And here he is after having his dinner in wings!!!

https://instagram.com/p/1ZLyxJqABw/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Why are so many people unsure over Fellaini goal.

Am I totally out of touch..or since when was it not where your planted legs are that judge you offside ?

Are people actually saying his head was offside...for real ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Cos Gary Neville said he was therefore he must have been off! As an ex gk what i cant understand is why arent more ppl asking why didnt Hart keep that header out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

LeeJM wrote: »
    Cos Gary Neville said he was therefore he must have been off! As an ex gk what i cant understand is why arent more ppl asking why didnt Hart keep that header out?

Cause he's English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Cause he's English.

Thats legit the only reason I can think of. He really is a Europa League level keeper at best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

LeeJM wrote: »
    Thats legit the only reason I can think of. He really is a Europa League level keeper at best

Saw Stuart Pearces and someone elses (was posted earlier) United City XI and he was ahead of De Gea in both, all that needs to be said!

TheDoc wrote: »

Am I totally out of touch..or since when was it not where your planted legs are that judge you offside ?

Hart could have done better for all of the goals, but defo could have kept out at least two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

TheDoc wrote: »

The rule is (and has been for years) you're offside if any body part you can score with is offside. So yes he could be off because of his head, but couldn't be if he had his arms out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

IrishIrish wrote: »
    The rule is (and has been for years) you're offside if any body part you can score with is offside.

Can you link to something official that confirms this please?

There is absolutely no mention of any specific body parts, or the positioning of them, in Law 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

There is absolutely no mention of any specific body parts, or the positioning of them, in Law 11.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/footballdevelopment/technicalsupport/refereeing/laws-of-the-game/

Page 108 under definitions, the rule was clarified in 2005, arms are the only body part that don't render you offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

This guy! 🙈

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Saw Stuart Pearces and someone elses (was posted earlier) United City XI and he was ahead of De Gea in both, all that needs to be said!

Paul Merson went for hart aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

345089.png

That was a bit good!

This guy is going to be a legend for us, its been so long since we had a player doing what he does and it really makes a huge difference to the rest of the team. Felliani gets a lot of praise and deservedly so, but it is Herrera at the root of our improved performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

This guy is going to be a legend for us, its been so long since we had a player doing what he does and it really makes a huge difference to the rest of the team. Felliani gets a lot of praise and deservedly so, but it is Herrera at the root of our improved performances.

Agreed 100%, he is fast becoming my favourite player.

Aside from the technical ability, the unbridled joy and passion he has shown after been pretty shabbily treated for much of the season is a joy to behold.

Someone likened him so Scholes earlier, different type of players obviously but if he continues improving as he has been there is no reason he can't be as influential as PS ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

What im delighted about United is we have so many players who can and want to score Goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Carrick in the team is the cog that makes it all tick, was fantastic again yesterday

Getting results is the main delight, but we are actually playing lovely brand of football again too which is a bonus.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement