Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't know. I really don't.

Valencia was dire tonight; went walkabouts for the first goal and gifted Welbeck the second. Rooney has his usual 2 seconds of glory while being anonymous for the rest of the game. DiMaria was the same, only he decided to have a brainfart and get himself sent off too.

I've defended LVG up to this, but I can't help but feel the removal of Herrera and introduction of Carrick seemed to utterly change the game in their favour. That said, there's still too many passangers in the team.

I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Danye

Arsenal deserve their victory. Fair play to them.

We're very poor. Very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Wright And Shearer loving this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Fakman87 wrote: »
    This is the first game I've really cared about in nearly 2 years. Hurts so bad to see them go out with a whimper like that.

Absolutely the same for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Well I had fun. That actually felt like an FA Cup match of old. They so rarely do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

That defeat is very hard to stomach. It was an even game until Valencia lost his mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Well i must be!! You are insane if you think this team can get 4th playing like that.
    Did they test the arsenal goalkeeper in the second half at all??
    Long ball after long ball to Fellaini.
    No mata, no falcao... Takes off Herrara at half time for what?
    Crazy defending for both goals. Poor poor team and dont deserve 4th.

I must be off my tits!

I saw zero long balls in that game.

• That was poor in the end. Very poor. Di Maria was very silly.
    We looked void of ideas at two one.
    Ref got some big calls right tonight but made a mess of one crucial decision. Arsenal should have been down to ten men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Get rid of Jones now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

That's what you get playing a winger at right full, fuvking ridiculous that the club doesn't have a proper right full.. and as for that useless fcker Jones, pure ****e. Valencia was terrible all night. Fellani is as subtle as a liner doing a 3 point turn. Phil Jones should be given away, should never put a red shirt on.again....pure ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

KH25 wrote: »
    That defeat is very hard to stomach. It was an even game until Valencia lost his mind.

Jones played his part as well though,just brutal defending all round by both players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

You can't really account for brain farts like Val and Di Maria you can however not play a winger against Sanchez. There were positives tonight.

Top 4 our bust really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Thought United played well actually.
    Lost due to bad mistakes by Valencia and Di Maria

Plenty of effort and passion, chasing a game with 10 men was too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Thought we were as poor as usual tonight tbh

At this stage I'm mentally preparing for finishing 5th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Not even a surprise...top 4? Don't make me laugh, city will destroy us at old Trafford, so too will Liverpool at anfield and Chelsea down there, van gaal is clueless. **** subs, Daley blind needs a kick up the hole and the back pass to the keeper finally cost us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I saw zero long balls in that game.

Oh my

I think Di Maria may have thought he was send off already that's why he pushed/grabbed the ref.

He and Herrera both made tackles in first half at same time & it wasn't made really clear who the yellow was given to at the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Not happy with the result and the display but going to try take some positive out of it. I just hope Liverpool and Arsenal both get distracted with a cup run (and hopefully a cup final) and start dropping points in the league.

Sometimes a cup final can work as a distraction, I know big clubs it shouldn't but two teams dire for trophies I'm hoping it will cause them to slip up in the league.

Call me naive or just ignorant but I'm just going to try take any positive out of this. Utterly disappointed we couldn't make it to the final, been so long since we won the FA cup and a cup final would have been great for the fans but can't change anything now. The top 4 is and always has been the major priority, now let's hope some players cop on and we can work on securing a spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Don't see how Jones is getting the blame for Valencia being total shíte.

Him and Young yet again shown up to be jokes. 3 years now we've seen they're not good enough and yet they keep conning managers for a while. Neither would be playing under Moyes if he'd stayed I'd bet.

I suppose there's a lack of leadership in the team.
    Rooney is captain, but a leader CB a la Vidic or Rio is needed, or indeed a vocal keeper such as VDS has

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'm sick of playing wingers as full backs, can we just play an orthodox back 4, why did we need Carrick and Blind on the pitch together, why take Herrera off? Every bloody game we seem to be finishing with two defenders!

Di Maria getting sent off, what a tool! love the fact he was giving it a real go but getting sent off for two bookings, a blatant dive and then pushing a ref.

The worst thing about that, we as a club are famous for going right to the death. Didn't feel like United in the last ten minutes at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Bradford or Reading. FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Awful stuff but the blame has to lie with the manager. He is not able to get these guys to play for him. His subs at half time were also bad. We played well first half and he made two defensive changes. That Arsenal side is no great shakes and we couldn't create anything.

Di Maria has let himself down badly tonight. He didn't get a couple of blatant fouls given against him and resorted to diving. I can see him leaving this summer tbh. Looks unhappy, well, as much as you can tell from his demeanour on the pitch

And finally, Valencia needs to go. At fault for both goals tonight and when you see Sanchez outstripping him for pace you see he has lost his one redeeming quality.

We'll not be getting top 4 this year and the manager needs to answer to that.

Young Valencia and Smalling have to go this summer. Jones is on shaky ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Very good first half from Utd but second half was really poor from them. Started the second half so sloppily, giving the ball away constantly and a shocker for the second goal.

Di Maria rightly sent off, Adnan rightly booked too, looked a bit clueless when they had to chase it, although down to 10 men.

Hugely disappointing. Luke Shaw continues to hugely underwhelm, Valencia playing as the other full back. Smalling was a bundle of nerves second half and I never really trust Rojo as a defender. The lack of tackles was very disappointing. Arsenal allowed to stroll through the Utd team when they did play it on the floor.

De Gea was brilliant. Two world class saves.

Tough times. 4th will be a real battle and I don't know if this team have enough battle in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

bangkok wrote: »
    Not even a surprise...top 4? Don't make me laugh, city will destroy us at old Trafford, so too will Liverpool at anfield and Chelsea down there, van gaal is clueless. **** subs, Daley blind needs a kick up the hole and the back pass to the keeper finally cost us.

Arsenal were going to destroy us too according to you, probably shouldnt be too confident in the rest of your predictions?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I think Di Maria may have thought he was send off already that's why he pushed/grabbed the ref.

He and Herrera both made tackles in first half at same time & it wasn't made really clear who the yellow was given to at the time though.

Is he thick or something ?
    Just trying to ensure his red card

If I was his team mate or manager I'd be fuming

Jones played his part as well though,just brutal defending all round by both players.

I really don't think Jones is to blame for that. He wasn't great when he came on to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

We lost to such a poor Arsenal team, Valencia is surely man of the match. Played a winning hand for Arsenal.

Blind was so poor all game so was Young but Van Gaal subbed off Herrera who was having very good game. Again poor subs made us weaker.

Smalling played his worst game since City game and hopefully we will be seeing Rafael starting from next game. If after this game Valencia don't get dropped then I hope Rafael just pack his bags and go on holiday. No point in sitting on the bench.

Liam O wrote: »

Him and Young yet again shown up to be jokes. 3 years now we've seen they're not good enough and yet they keep conning managers for a while. Neither would be playing under Moyes if he'd stayed I'd bet.
    When you know your fullback isn't very comfortable with the ball and even less comfortable defending you don't give him the ball when an attacker is up his ass. You're putting unnecessary pressure on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I missed it but how did Falcao react to not being picked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Same as that.
    Jones was right to tell Valencia to go back. There was an Arsenal player ready behind him. If Valencia actually kicked the ball properly it would have been cleared by De Gea. It's Valencia and only Valencia's fault.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Not sure why people are having a go at Young, he was probably one of our best players tonight, after De Gea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

So, LVG out. Guessing that or De Gea will be leaving this ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Ah that's fcuking hard to take .. Last chance of silverware gone :( .. Performance wasn't overly bad but Di Maria was beyond stupid grabbing the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Mental stuff altogether, even under fergie we were prone to brainfarts in big games.

Valencia was as bad today as in the cl final in wembley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Not blaming Jones, just stating a fact , he's a useless clueless cut and not worthy of our shirt
    , next Duncan Edwards my bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

kryogen wrote: »
    Arsenal were going to destroy us too according to you, probably shouldnt be too confident in the rest of your predictions?

We won't be making top 4, not a hope, de gea was class again tonight, hard to see him staying around with the **** in front of him. Fellaini.playing up top most of the 2nd half for Man Utd!!!!! Some joke, falcao and mata on the bench joke

Can't see Hernandez coming back to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Jones could have cleared, fairly obvious tbf.

I missed it but how did Falcao react to not being picked?

Don't know if they showed him but, if the papers are to be believed, he already knows he's off in the summer - so does it really matter?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    When you know your fullback isn't very comfortable with the ball and even less comfortable defending you don't give him the ball when an attacker is up his ass. You're putting unnecessary pressure on him.

The fullback shouldn't even be playing if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Both Di Maria and Januzaj disgraced themselves tonight unfortunately. I'm being patient with Van Gaal and understand he's thinking long term, but this is more than simply footballing philosophy, it's about professionalism, and the way players conduct themselves on the pitch is a reflection of the manager.

De Gea was phenomenal as usual, and Rooney did his best, but apart from himself and Di Maria, Arsenal were better individually, and as a team. I like Young, Blind, Fellani, Herrara but right now none of them are looking good enough to play in midfield at the level required. And no Falcao either again when in need of a goal? No Mata? I envisage massive changes come the summer if Van Gaal is guaranteed 3-5 years. We've only seen the beginning with regards transfers.

Not sure why people are having a go at Young, he was probably one of our best players tonight, after De Gea.

Lazy scapegoating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Serious lack of quality on the pitch, thought Rooney and De Gea were good. The rest.. meh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

There will be no need to demonise Di Maria for the sending off, he got a booking, he tried to get the refs attention while he was walking away and the ref (who had no bother with Hart nutting him) went nuclear on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

titan18 wrote: »
    So, LVG out
    .... Singly the only decision that MUFC should not make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Rooney played his heart out tonight, gotta feel for him and De Gea the rest should be on the chopping block makes me sick to see united players diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Well that's that.

We have improved a bit lately but nowhere near enough. Considering our upcoming fixtures, I would not be shocked to see us out of the running for top 4 by the end of April.

Very hard to remain optimistic as a Utd fan right now :(

irishfeen wrote: »
    .... Singly the only decision the MUFC should not make.

I dunno, I'd throw renaming Old Trafford in there too. :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement