Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

RobertKK wrote: »

That made it even better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What's people transfer thoughts i'm thinking the following.

In
    Clyne
    Schneiderlin
    Hummels
    Depay
    Nani
    Hernandez

Out
    Falcao
    RVP
    Wilson(loan)
    Periera(loan)
    Evans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Paul Merson went for hart aswell

Does anyone actually listen to Merson anymore? He's so out of touch and biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

That made it even better

In fairness I don't know why anybody cares about what that clown says, he stopped being relevant about 3 years ago, now he is just pityful.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    What's people transfer thoughts i'm thinking the following.

In
    Clyne
    Schneiderlin
    Hummels
    Depay
    Nani
    Hernandez

Out
    Falcao
    RVP
    Wilson(loan)
    Periera(loan)
    Evans

Nani and Hernandez to be sold. There will be one huge signing, big name plus Depay to replace those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Januzaj needs to go on loan. Maybe if Depay signs for us Jan can replace him at PSV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

milner man marking carrick yesterday and he still made **** of him :D

In fairness I don't know why anybody cares about what that clown says, he stopped being relevant about 3 years ago, now he is just pityful.

People don't care, they just find him pretty sad, and he fails to see he is one reason why United have shut up his team.
    He should be focusing on his own game before thinking he knows it all, as in City getting one goal meant the match was over.
    He got what he deserved yesterday, the irony being Mario was supporting a team that his own team should be targeting to overtake.
    Not the cleverest person around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Great things happening lately. Its great to see Fellaini prove himself, he looks like a bargain right now.

I'm glad to be proven wrong on Mata, I thought we had no place for him especially on the wing after an underwhelming first season with us.

Young looks very good these days. Valencia too is more reliable.

Most of all it looks like we have a very good midfeild. Carrick, Fellaini and Herrera are a good combo. Carricks experience, dropping deep and playing the ball central or wide, Fell's muscle and making himself a out ball target when needs be and Herrera snapping quick and accurate passes around. Its looking like a well oiled machine right now. The one two combos with the wide players are also working well. LVG is finally getting it to work.

Adding another couple of MF's and we are looking good as somehow our MF isn't in disarray anymore thanks to LVG. Its going to be an exciting summer window.

I agree we were lucky at the start yesterday, we could have been two or three goals down after City started quicker than us and it took a slice of luck with the Young goal to get us back into it but we took over from then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »
    Why are so many people unsure over Fellaini goal.

Am I totally out of touch..or since when was it not where your planted legs are that judge you offside ?

Are people actually saying his head was offside...for real ?

If any body part you can score with could be considered offside, you should be flagged offside.

If his head was offside, then he was offside. If it is his arm/shoulder that is offside rather than his head then he is not offside as it would be handball to score with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

duffman13 wrote: »
    He's played funny systems and tried players in different positions. he's tried different things and being a manager of a new team that's to be expected. Your example of Rooney being deployed in midfield is a fair one but it's also something I and a lot of fans wanted to see. I always thought Rooney was built for CM and even Fergie wanted to try him there. Obviously it didn't work.

As crazy as it is he didn't pick a blindingly obvious solution. Put the team up as they lined out today 4 weeks ago and there would be a lot of debate. For example Mata can't play on the left, Di Maria should start over Young, Mata should be playing behind Rooney, Raf for Valencia etc.

We have implemented a possession style of play which we just have become more comfortable with over the last month. LVG shouldn't be criticised for trying new things. Look at Bayern, Schweinsteiger was a winger before LVG cane along and plonked him in CM and Alaba was a CM and is now a quality full back. He might be unorthodox but he gets it right more often than not. I'm more than happy to let him try different things, his previous success gives me confidence that he knows what he is doing.

I was always interested in seeing Rooney playing in midfield and I've always argued that he has the attributes for it, but, unlike Van Gaal, it didn't take months for me to realise that it wasn't going to work once Rooney went in there this season. Van Gaal doesn't get a pass on that one because he was far too slow to see that it needed changing.

I would have argued that Mata on the wing could be a problem, and I would still ague that. But that doesn't mean I would have said that it had no chance of working, it's still a more rational line-up than the one with Rooney in midfield, Herrera on the bench and Falcao and RVP up front in a narrow formation. So far Mata on the wing has been working against Spurs, Libverpool, Villa and City. That's a good run, but the quality of the opposition, in their current form, is miles off the quality we will be needing to beat to win everything like we aim to.

You are so obviously wrong to say that the up-turn in form is down to the team just becoming comfortable with the possession style of play. You are kidding yourself if you think that the team could go back to a narrow formation with two low mobility CFs up front, Rooney in central midfield and no Hererra and still carry on playing this well.

There's no reason to criticise LVG for trying different things with his new team - I doubt anybody has - but for needing to try so many things before he found something that worked; for trying some things that were so obviously a bad idea from the beginning and for taking so long to fix obvious things that weren't working he should definitely be criticised. And before we get too carried away with the idea that the new system is working, it should be noted that there might well still be defensive issues with how the midfield works and that's even with Young playing instead of Di Maria (who is weaker defensively).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

As much as Young got a huge slice of luck for his goal, his reactions were fantastic and he hit it well after turning around like he did. It's a great replay to watch. :D

RobertKK wrote: »
    Nani and Hernandez to be sold. There will be one huge signing, big name plus Depay to replace those two.

Nani would be ideal as a rotation option in a 4-3-3 at this point in time, DEpay has potential though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Great win yesterday i was worried at the start they had but after the goal was a great teamwork.

the one worry i have is rooneys performances since the spurs games have not been good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I still feel Young is a squad player. By all means if he keeps performing like yesterday that opinion could very well change, but until then...

Januzaj, Wilson and Pierra need loan spells to clubs that will play them week in, week out.

I reckon Depay is coming in, Nani is 50/50 and Hernandez is gone. Hummels or another CB is needed, and Gundogan or some midfielder would be ideal. Schniederlin could be an option. I think he's class.

sky88 wrote: »
    Great win yesterday i was worried at the start they had but after the goal was a great teamwork.

the one worry i have is rooneys performances since the spurs games have not been good

rooney was very good yesterday, linked the play well, made loads of clever runs and never gave the city defenders a second on the ball

sky88 wrote: »

He was poor in the Liverpool game, but other than that he has been good and very important to how the team play. His running to make space and passing options, his hold-up play, his passing and his goal threat are all vital to the team. But it's been the same with Rooney for years, unless he scores a hattrick there are always fans complaining about him after games.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Rooney was kept quiet yesterday but it wasn't for lack of trying, his pass for the Mata goal was superb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I think if QPR had hung on yesterday we'd be in our right to be talking about a title challenge given current form and upcoming fixtures. Absolutely amazing if one was to look back at the top 6 predictions we did a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Do people realise Rooney yesterday made great runs dragging defenders out of position and making space for other players. Compared to how static we looked with RVP and Falcao up top.

I thought he played quite well yesterday.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Do people realise Rooney yesterday made great runs dragging defenders out of position and making space for other players. Compared to how static we looked with RVP and Falcao up top.

I thought he played quite well yesterday.

Indeed - I would criticise his control, and threat on the ball - but his running, movement and working of the defenders is vital to making space and causing problems with players like Fellaini, Young, Mata and Herrera supporting the space and issues his movement creates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I seen we are heavily linked with gundogan and hummels would love to see those two at united

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Am I the only one who doesn't want Nani and Hernandez back?

Indeed - I would criticise his control, and threat on the ball - but his running, movement and working of the defenders is vital to making space and causing problems with players like Fellaini, Young, Mata and Herrera supporting the space and issues his movement creates.

It's harsh to criticise Rooney's control, he keeps possession as well as, or better than, most top level strikers. I agree he doesn't offer much threat if he needs to run with the ball at his feet and he can't score bullets from any angle like RVP, so his threat on the ball is weaker. But because of his off the ball movement his goal scoring is still top class.

Carrick made 62 passes - more than any player on the pitch - and registered a pass completion rate of 91.9 per cent all while being man marked by milner .....class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I suspect Evans will be kept for ffp reasons. A new centre back will be welcomed though and I wouldn't cry if he left.

I think Rafael, Chico, Cleverley, Lindergaard, Falcao and Lingard will leave. Maybe RVP. Maybe Perriera. Hopefully not DDG.

Adnan, Wilson, McNair, Blackett and\or Thorpe to go on loan.

Ins I suspect - a rb, a cb, striker or two, squad player holding CM, a winger and\or Nani to return.

Rooney was kept quiet yesterday but it wasn't for lack of trying, his pass for the Mata goal was superb

And the through ball to Fellaini shortly after he scored.

I don't think Lingard will be off. He featured early until he did his knee if I recall, then he went on loan? Still very young, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Polo_Mint wrote: »

We are pretty much guaranteed some form of euro football now next season so we will have an extra 6-8 games minimum, at the moment our squad is bare.

Even if we didn't loan out adnan and Wilson ( which we should) we still need Nani and Hernandez in the squad IMO, they will be needed for sure and I think right now if it was a case of putting them both on the pitch as opposed to Wilson and adnan, I think it's clear that most people who go for the experienced/proven option.

With Falcao leaving and Rvp a doubt, our striking options are extremely thin, even if Cavani was to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Wouldn't it be great to top off a great couple of weeks if Ed got David DeGea to sign the dotted line - hopefully DeGea was waiting on CL qualification...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

345107.jpg

bangkok wrote: »
    milner man marking carrick yesterday and he still made **** of him :D
    Carrick made 62 passes - more than any player on the pitch - and registered a pass completion rate of 91.9 per cent all while being man marked by milner .....class

Hi.

You need to watch the game again, Milner didn't man-mark Carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Courtesy of Magic:

Woah, my post appearing in a topic I didn't post in. Maybe I should post that in the Creepy thread! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pro. F wrote: »
    Hi.

Correct. It looked like he did the first 5-10 mins. The rest of the game he did not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I was always interested in seeing Rooney playing in midfield and I've always argued that he has the attributes for it, but, unlike Van Gaal, it didn't take months for me to realise that it wasn't going to work once Rooney went in there this season. Van Gaal doesn't get a pass on that one because he was far too slow to see that it needed changing.

I would have argued that Mata on the wing could be a problem, and I would still ague that. But that doesn't mean I would have said that it had no chance of working, it's still a more rational line-up than the one with Rooney in midfield, Herrera on the bench and Falcao and RVP up front in a narrow formation. So far Mata on the wing has been working against Spurs, Libverpool, Villa and City. That's a good run, but the quality of the opposition, in their current form, is miles off the quality we will be needing to beat to win everything like we aim to.

You are so obviously wrong to say that the up-turn in form is down to the team just becoming comfortable with the possession style of play. You are kidding yourself if you think that the team could go back to a narrow formation with two low mobility CFs up front, Rooney in central midfield and no Hererra and still carry on playing this well.

There's no reason to criticise LVG for trying different things with his new team - I doubt anybody has - but for needing to try so many things before he found something that worked; for trying some things that were so obviously a bad idea from the beginning and for taking so long to fix obvious things that weren't working he should definitely be criticised. And before we get too carried away with the idea that the new system is working, it should be noted that there might well still be defensive issues with how the midfield works and that's even with Young playing instead of Di Maria (who is weaker defensively).

There has been a lot of talk about Herrera not being picked due to not "performing" in training. I think I remember Herrera himself even saying same.

If you were to accept that there was an issue with him training - whether it be not working hard enough, not showing a willingness to follow instruction etc - I don't think you can really give out about the manager making a stand that "until you start doing XYZ I'm not going to pick you".

A stance like that I would argue would be defensible by a manager even if it costs points, the fact that the team's record was still excellent in that time makes it even more correct.

I think it's orders of magnitude more likely that this is the sort of thing that was going on behind the scenes rather than van Gaal not being clever enough at soccer to see Herrera would be better in midfield than Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

United fans on their way to work this morning...
    3818349-8610532032-36261.gif

Hi.

when united had possession first half milner went straight to man mark him, was even pointed out in the commentary

Polo_Mint wrote: »

No you're not but you really should be. Nani is proving himself to be a quality player when given confidence and a platform to shine. Similar situation to Young really, although Nani is a much better player.
    Hernandez is proving to be a useful squad player for probably the biggest club in the world.
    Anybody that wouldn't want either around in some capacity next season must have some irrational dislike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

when united had possession first half milner went straight to man mark him, was even pointed out in the commentary

I think you are confusing being man marked with the opposition Pressing.. when Carrick received the ball Milner would press him from high up, The first 20 mins City were pressing superbly and that was mainly Milner and Aguero. They weren't Man marking Carrick and Milner was pressing anyone who got on the the ball.. he was actually likened to Park ji Sung with his running.

astradave wrote: »
    I think you are confusing being man marked with the opposition Pressing.. when Carrick received the ball Milner would press him from high up, The first 20 mins City were pressing superbly and that was mainly Milner and Aguero. They weren't Man marking Carrick and Milner was pressing anyone who got on the the ball.. he was actually likened to Park ji Sung with his running.

Yes same with Herrera and Mata early on, they pressed but no specific man marking.

Nani REALLY isn't an LVG player though. Unless he has become less braindead.

He can be a wonderful footballer at times, but his decision making is erratic. Remember reading in Red Issue or UWS that Rene said Nani can be fantastic, but that he doesn't know why he does pretty much anything on the pitch, good or bad. So it has proven difficult to teach him to do the right things. He is an instinctive player, completely.

Based on how LVG has set the team out, and his desire that the players can fulfil their roles, stick to their positions and perform their tasks exactly as requested - I just don't see how Nani can win his trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jaysus,Moyes really looks haunted in this pic.

Fq06E6Z.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

zerks wrote: »
    Jaysus,Moyes really looks haunted in this pic.

Fq06E6Z.png

The job put years on him, it was too much pressure for him, delighted he is doing well with sociodad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nani REALLY isn't an LVG player though. Unless he has become less braindead.

He can be a wonderful footballer at times, but his decision making is erratic. Remember reading in Red Issue or UWS that Rene said Nani can be fantastic, but that he doesn't know why he does pretty much anything on the pitch, good or bad. So it has proven difficult to teach him to do the right things. He is an instinctive player, completely.

Based on how LVG has set the team out, and his desire that the players can fulfil their roles, stick to their positions and perform their tasks exactly as requested - I just don't see how Nani can win his trust.

Arjen Robben

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Top six head to head, we're pretty damn good against the top teams!

CCdNwyjWYAA7IlC.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Benteke good enough for us? Reminds me of a more powerful version of Saha although not as quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

To think these were our most maligned players last season,amazing what a bit of belief and confidence can do.

yfogub3.gif

fellaini, young, mata, Valencia all playing now on high confidence, how I would love to see it work out for falcao but it sadly wont at united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Trilla wrote: »
    Relax will ya.

Its the Internet.

Liverpool are our biggest rivals and it looks like we've seriously damaged their chances of getting into the CL spots big shhtyle

and yes its only banter imo

My comment was only meant as banter. I'm not all holier than thou, I love the banter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement