Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This is my new favourite picture, utterly brilliant

bYrQJID.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Buying Danny Ings for £5 million would be great business. I don't claim to know too much about him but that money is a steal for a useful English striker who won't expect to be in the starting 11. We could sell him an make a profit if it doesn't work out. I'm sure his wages would be average too.

If that rumour is at all true then it's fine by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

GSPfan wrote: »
    Buying Danny Ings for £5 million would be great business. I don't claim to know too much about him but that money is a steal for a useful English striker who won't expect to be in the starting 11. We could sell him an make a profit if it doesn't work out. I'm sure his wages would be average too.

If that rumour is at all true then it's fine by me.

from what i have read in the fanzine United have been looking at him for a while an interst was stepped up after everyone at the club was impressed with him when we played Burnley.

I would be surprised if he cost even 5million. 3million was the figure I saw. Whatever compensation would be for him. Burnley hoping he stays in England, if he goes abroad (Moyes wants to bring him to Spain) they'd only get about 500k.

He is an interesting player to be looking at. He won't strike fear into the hearts of any top defences, but going for him over some other big name strikers (such as the ever linked Cavani) might indicate we are looking to change from a 2 striker formation (to 433 as we have been playing recently) and are therefore balancing the squad differently. Could be looking at someone like Depay, to play off Rooney to one side with Di Maria/Mata/Young etc the other and Ings as an option on the bench as cover for Rooney.

At this point I am expecting RVP and Falcao to be leaving. If Ings comes in that would be Rooney, Wilson and Ings for 1 spot (though Wilson could play a wider role as well). In terms of numbers that might be ok, though we are seeing how an injury blip can effect that with chelsea this week as they only have 3 strikers, with two carrying some injuries at the moment. If Rooney stayed fit, and played well, fine. But if he got injured or suspended I wouldn't be confident of Ings leading the line vs Bayern Munich, Barca, Chelsea etc. At the same time - if we are going to 433 then it would be an unbalancing waste to spend a bucket load on a striker that could be that first choice striker over Rooney, when they will simply be backup to him.

Tough position/squad palce to buy for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    our definitions of class are totally different so.

My definition of class is a quick footed player who can see a pass, good skill on the ball, 2 footed, Herrera would fit into this category.

Fellaini is a great outlet, great chest control, physical player who is having a good season

Your favourite traintrack footballer disagrees with you

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3037818/Marouane-Fellaini-one-dangerous-forwards-Europe-says-Wayne-Rooney.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I like Ings. Strong, skilful and a good goal threat. He looks like a very good option for third choice behind Rooney and RVP if LVG is going to stick with a one striker formation. Maybe even good enough to get into the team regularly if the combination with Rooney clicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What about Henriquez having a good season would he be an option for a 3rd striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Pro. F wrote: »
    I like Ings. Strong, skilful and a good goal threat. He looks like a very good option for third choice behind Rooney and RVP if LVG is going to stick with a one striker formation. Maybe even good enough to get into the team regularly if the combination with Rooney clicks.

At a £3million tribunal fee its a no brainer really, well worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »

I actually think rooney has just echoed everthing I have said actually. read the article

“We like to play out from the back and if teams are pressing us then we have him as an option. He is probably the best in world football at bringing the ball down and getting us out of that pressure and further up the pitch.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Nuts102 wrote: »
    What about Henriquez having a good season would he be an option for a 3rd striker.

He was sold!

• Advertisement

He was sold!

not according to himself. Still a United player and would like to return. A deal is agreed wtih the club he is on loan at though - 3million i think. Will likely go through, but he is not sold yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TheDoc wrote: »
    Any links to that, I only flicked over to Sky and the match was kicking off

Here you go: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95079881&postcount=5583

MOTD 2 is there aswell.

He was sold!

He was not sold they have the option to buy but he may want to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i wouldnt mind ings as he seems a really good player and the for 3-5 million worth a shot the only thing that would worry me is if rvp and falcao leave just to have rooney, ings and wilson as the strikiers could be a big risk.

Surely Ings would choose liverpool where he is more likely to play more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

sky88 wrote: »
    i wouldnt mind ings as he seems a really good player and the for 3-5 million worth a shot the only thing that would worry me is if rvp and falcao leave just to have rooney, ings and wilson as the strikiers could be a big risk.

It's for 1 spot though, worse comes to worse just throw Fellaini up there sure, or Depay if he's bought. I'd like to see a cheeky 15-20m bid for Falcao but it won't happen and Monaco probably wouldn't agree to it. Shame, he never really got a proper chance.

• Advertisement

Surely Liverpool would choose Ings as they can afford him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I think if we base all of our theories off of the fact that Rooney is 100% guaranteed a starting spot then I would rather see RVP and Falcao go this Summer so that there is no more Rooney in midfield. I've said before if we buy a player like Ronaldo or Bale who primarily plays the wide role but can be the central striker if Rooney is injured then that would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

He'd probably choose us if we get CL. He'd definitely make an appearance in the group stage at least.

zerks wrote: »
    <Please don't post links to illegal content, next time will be a card.>

Ah,never actually copped that,I thought it was the direct youtube link I posted..my bad.

no I believe you as you know way more than gary Neville

Is Garry Neville infallible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

are you?

are you?

Nope.

former man utd player, current England first team coach and current senior sky sports analyst v some guy posting on boards, I know who I would listen to first to be fair

Would you not rather form your own opinions and arguments rather than appealing to authority?

Would you not rather form your own opinions and arguments rather than appealing to authority?

I do have my own opinions and a lot of them are in line with what most ex pros think. I use their opinions to back up my argument

former man utd player, current England first team coach and current senior sky sports analyst v some guy posting on boards, I know who I would listen to first to be fair

That is an appeal to authority argument which, as has been pointed out to you before, is a logical fallacy.

That is an appeal to authority argument which, as has been pointed out to you before, is a logical fallacy.

intellectual BS. You think you are smarter than everyone else and that your opinion is fact, that others simply don't have an understanding of the game that matches up to you - or at least that is how you come across most of the time.

I don't understand what that means............ but ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

10 apps for United and he could get a medal though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Only once you make the assumption that the person is trying to make an appeal to authority and hasn't formed their own opinion which coincidently happens to be similar to others ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

TheDoc wrote: »
    This is my new favourite picture, utterly brilliant

bYrQJID.jpg

"And then they said I wasn't a Man United player!"

I don't understand what that means............ but ok

There was a chance to educate yourself there and when presented with that chance you chose to ignore it.

I do have my own opinions and a lot of them are in line with what most ex pros think. I use their opinions to back up my argument

All I'l say is that using other people's opinions to support your own opinion is generally not considered a good way to make an argument. You won't convince many people that you're right that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

All I'l say is that using other people's opinions to support your own opinion is generally not considered a good way to make an argument. You won't convince many people that you're right that way.

What was the original argument.. Cheers!

my argument if you want to call it that was, some guy posted an article about fellaini saying rooney had said he was world class. I asked the poster did he read that article and he never replied so im guessing he hasn't and what rooney had said falls in line with my view on fellaini. He is a great outlet to have on the team when they are under pressure, great chest control as well, but to be calling fellaini a Man utd legend or a class player is wrong imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

345257.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I dont think Triple H and Stephanie will up hold that appeal

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Only once you make the assumption that the person is trying to make an appeal to authority and hasn't formed their own opinion which coincidently happens to be similar to others ;)

There's no assumption. Bangkok uses the appeal to authority to dismiss the evidence put before him in arguments. That is one of the definitions of an appeal to authority argument.

• Advertisement

yet this partially started because someone interpreted Rooney saying something that disagreed with Bangkoks opinion.

How odd.

Using Rooney's opinion to back up your own is fine. But using Gary Neville's is an appeal to authority and therefore (and apparently always is) and logical falacy.

I reckon I would take Prof. Stephen Hawkins opinion on matters of physics as being as close to fact as possible.

There's no assumption. Bangkok uses the appeal to authority to dismiss the evidence put before him in arguments. That is one of the definitions of an appeal to authority argument.

like what?

some guy posted an article about fellaini saying rooney had said he was world class. I asked the poster did he read that article and he never replied so im guessing he hasn't and what rooney had said falls in line with my view on fellaini.

He is a great outlet to have on the team when they are under pressure, great chest control as well, but to be calling fellaini a Man utd legend or a class player is wrong imo.

for example Ronaldo is a man utd legend, world player of the year at the club, 3 league titles, European cup, fa cup, carling cup, world club cup

fellaini is not a man utd legend, maybe in the future he could be but no where near a utd legend at this moment. and he has had good games here and there he hasn't even won a united player of the month yet.

That's my argument

intellectual BS. You think you are smarter than everyone else and that your opinion is fact, that others simply don't have an understanding of the game that matches up to you - or at least that is how you come across most of the time.

Lol yeah. Not accepting logical fallacies as a valid argument is intellectual bullshít. Sure.

I do think that I understand football better than the people I am debating with about football. Everybody thinks that. If they didn't then there would be no debate to have, we'd all just defer to whoever we thought understood football best.

Using Rooney's opinion to back up your own is fine. But using Gary Neville's is an appeal to authority and therefore (and apparently always is) and logical falacy.

I reckon I would take Prof. Stephen Hawkins opinion on matters of physics as being as close to fact as possible.

No, the original guy was wrong to do it too. ;) bangkok does it fairly regularly though.

Also, Stephen Hawking's opinions on physics are worthless - he's been demonstrably and publicly wrong before with regard to black holes and paid out on a bet with another physicist as a result.

However, Hawking is legendary when it comes to doing actual physics, where opinion is not a factor.

like what?

some guy posted an article about fellaini saying rooney had said he was world class. I asked the poster did he read that article and he never replied so im guessing he hasn't and what rooney had said falls in line with my view on fellaini.

He is a great outlet to have on the team when they are under pressure, great chest control as well, but to be calling fellaini a Man utd legend or a class player is wrong imo.

for example Ronaldo is a man utd legend, world player of the year at the club, 3 league titles, European cup, fa cup, carling cup, world club cup

fellaini is not a man utd legend, maybe in the future he could be but no where near a utd legend at this moment. and he has had good games here and there he hasn't even won a united player of the month yet.

That's my argument

The discussion you and I were having was nothing to do with Fellaini or what Rooney said about him.

It was in relation to your holding up Gary Neville's words as proof that your opinion was correct.

Neville on rooney last night.....

His former team-mate said on Monday Night Football: “I came away from the game thinking: ‘Was he anonymous? How did he play? We never mentioned him much during the game.’ He wasn’t really talked about that much.

“Having played with Wayne Rooney for 10 years, having worked with him for England for three or four years, I can say he is a street football player who can chase the ball, wants to be involved and wants to be everywhere on the pitch."

:P

that was my original post, posted as a joke, going back to an argument with another poster that said he never heard the term "street footballer" and I said at the time it was a common football term

• Advertisement

yet this partially started because someone interpreted Rooney saying something that disagreed with Bangkoks opinion.

How odd.

I never indicated that I thought using Rooney's opinions on Fellaini was fine. I never entered that discussion.

If you took part in a debate on physics and then, instead of presenting evidence and using logic to form your argument, you held up Hawkins's opinion as fact you would also be arguing from authority. It is a logical fallacy no matter who the authority is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

that was my original post, posted as a joke, going back to an argument with another poster that said he never heard the term "street footballer" and I said at the time it was a common football term

It is a common football term unfortunately, it's also a stupid one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

We're all getting a little snarky in here. Let's talk about how much we love Mata.

We all love Mata, right? That's something we can agree on?

mata_1897818a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

That almost looks like a wax work of Mata..........ok lads own up who has a Mata shrine in their wardrobe?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement