Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

#mufc have told Valencia there is 0 chance of them signing Juan Mata in the summer. [paul hetherington on mutv]

good to know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

RichFTW wrote: »
    Was watching a football highlights show last night and they were discussing a Hummels move to United during the Bundesliga part. They showed some clips of his bad play this season and said he wasn't the same player as he was in the world cup. All the panelists said United shouldn't buy him based on his form, price and injury record. Maybe LVG should look elsewhere and try and find the next Hummels rather than a broken one. Would love to see Depay signed too.

We could have written off most of our squad after last season and the first six month of this season, Id be inclined to give Hummels the benefit of the doubt given the heights he has reached and especially considering he will probably go for about 35 million, not much more than we paid for Shaw and Herrera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

FALCAO INTERVIEW:

"Every player wants to play, that's very normal, but I have respect for the manager and the decisions he takes."

"I keep working hard in training, learning every day to play in different systems in different styles of football."

Manchester United are a great club, I am very happy to be here and that is why I have no problem being patient."

So much love for this guy!!! Upsetting that it didnt work out for him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

RichFTW wrote: »
    Was watching a football highlights show last night and they were discussing a Hummels move to United during the Bundesliga part. They showed some clips of his bad play this season and said he wasn't the same player as he was in the world cup. All the panelists said United shouldn't buy him based on his form, price and injury record. Maybe LVG should look elsewhere and try and find the next Hummels rather than a broken one. Would love to see Depay signed too.

One thing about Hummels's form is that the way the whole team defends at Dortmund is crazy all or nothing, front foot, high line, never dropping back stuff. That can make their defenders look worse then they are when it falls apart.

But we can't discount the form completely and I'd still be a little wary of his injury record, so he shouldn't be costing big bucks imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

So what would be the price for hummels? Talk is £35 million

£25 million a more realistic price?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hummels, probably needs a new challenge, he wins the world cup, then back to Dortmund where he hasn't a hope of winning the league, as one top class seems to leave every year.
    It was bound to take a toll on the team, combined with injury to some other players like Reus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

#mufc have told Valencia there is 0 chance of them signing Juan Mata in the summer. [paul hetherington on mutv]

good to know :)

Does Valencia not realise Mata was already signed last year? He played with Mata literally two days ago. :confused: Good dancer, but not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pro. F wrote: »
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if LVG is planning to stick with Valencia as first choice RB. Not that I agree with that choice, just seems likely to me.

Why does it seem likely to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

We could have written off most of our squad after last season and the first six month of this season, Id be inclined to give Hummels the benefit of the doubt given the heights he has reached and especially considering he will probably go for about 35 million, not much more than we paid for Shaw and Herrera

Our players were adapting to a new style and a new manager though, Dortmund weren't. The Addidas deal means loads of cash around plus Woodward wants the big names so I'd say he will be bought anyway. I hope he works out but could end up with a Mangala rather than a Rio with that money.

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    So what would be the price for hummels? Talk is £35 million

£25 million a more realistic price?

I don't know about realistic, but I'd say that £25m would be the very upper limit of what's a fair price for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

One thing about Hummels's form is that the way the whole team defends at Dortmund is crazy all or nothing, front foot, high line, never dropping back stuff. That can make their defenders look worse then they are when it falls apart.

But we can't discount the form completely and I'd still be a little wary of his injury record, so he shouldn't be costing big bucks imo.

Ya most of the clips shown involved him losing the ball in a very high line and then the other team scoring on the counter. It did look pretty bad seeing him trying to get back at a relatively slow pace. I don't think he was necessary slow but the attackers were lightning fast and the high line did made it way worse.

I don't know about realistic, but I'd say that £25m would be the very upper limit of what's a fair price for him.

Yeah should have worded it better, would a £40-45 million bid for him and gundogan be enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Verane would be a nice signing with his speed

Trilla wrote: »
    Why does it seem likely to you?

First of all because he's a very hard working, athletic and disciplined player. I think LVG really values those traits.

Then when I watch the team, to me Valencia more than anybody looks like he is following preset instructions. I know LVG demands that the majority of the players do everything according to a script. It's hard to pin down, but just the way he makes his decisions on the ball - mostly regarding keeping possession simple, unless he's in the final third and can cross - gives me the impression of a player doing exactly what LVG wants.

Myself, I don't like Val's crossing and I still worry about his defensive instincts a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Would prefer Godin over Hummels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

First of all because he's a very hard working, athletic and disciplined player. I think LVG really values those traits.

Then when I watch the team, to me Valencia more than anybody looks like he is following preset instructions. I know LVG demands that the majority of the players do everything according to a script. It's hard to pin down, but just the way he makes his decisions on the ball - mostly regarding keeping possession simple, unless he's in the final third and can cross - gives me the impression of a player doing exactly what LVG wants.

Myself, I don't like Val's crossing and I still worry about his defensive instincts a bit.

Agree with this, but I have to say at least he is attempting to cross the ball this season and not just smash it at the legs of the first defender..

A few times on Sunday he had some crosses that I haven't seen him even attempt in at least 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Isn't Aymeric Laporte's contract up in the summer of 2016? He's only 20 and definitely looks have potential, could be worth the investment?

He has a €30 million buyout clause AFAIR but should be able to get him cheaper given the circumstances of his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Nailz wrote: »
    Isn't Aymeric Laporte's contract up in the summer of 2016? He's only 20 and definitely looks have potential, could be worth the investment?

He has a €30 million buyout clause AFAIR but should be able to get him cheaper given the circumstances of his contract.

We'd be so Basque.

I'd love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    We'd be so Basque.

I'd love it.

Agent Ander is on it.

https://twitter.com/AnderHerrera/status/588012804126420992

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Wasn't there some stuff with Llorente and his fee not being met in his last year of his contract and he ended up going on a free? Doubt Laporte will be going cheap even with 1 year left on his contract.

If that unfolded i'd much prefer the Varane option regarding age and potential. But alas it looks like Hummels will be it, I fell out wanting him watching the first Dortmund/Bayern game of this season he went off injured at half time and United were going through an awful period with injuries and it pricked my memory how often he seemed to be injured, he went went through the whole WC with and injury/injuries I want a safer option then that especially with regards the fee that we could be paying for him I think we could get Varane for the same or a bit less and less of the worry with injury record.

• Advertisement

€42 million buyout clause or around £30 million pounds. Won't get him cheaper than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

user2011 wrote: »
    Wasn't there some stuff with Llorente and his fee not being met in his last year of his contract and he ended up going on a free? Doubt Laporte will be going cheap even with 1 year left on his contract.

If that unfolded i'd much prefer the Varane option regarding age and potential. But alas it looks like Hummels will be it, I fell out wanting him watching the first Dortmund/Bayern game of this season he went off injured at half time and United were going through an awful period with injuries and it pricked my memory how often he seemed to be injured, he went went through the whole WC with and injury/injuries I want a safer option then that especially with regards the fee that we could be paying for him I think we could get Varane for the same or a bit less and less of the worry with injury record.
    RobertKK wrote: »
    €42 million buyout clause or around £30 million pounds. Won't get him cheaper than that.

If so, prepare for another Summer of "United have met the buyout clause but Athletic Bilbao are playing hard ball and United face having to pay the tax on the deal which is 1,000,000 % and could scupper the deal"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    If so, prepare for another Summer of "United have met the buyout clause but Athletic Bilbao are playing hard ball and United face having to pay the tax on the deal which is 1,000,000 % and could scupper the deal"

I won't mind that once Agueroooo is saying all of the above, gave me a good chuckle that day Herrera signed. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91012519&postcount=2853

Great day it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

user2011 wrote: »
    I won't mind that once Agueroooo is saying all of the above, gave me a good chuckle that day Herrera signed. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91012519&postcount=2853

Great day it was.

Ah, good ol' Leiva loved to bring us some bad news :pac:

Having a good aul read of this thread during the summer, the reaction when we signed Herrera and then the Shaw deal broke was hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Seems we are voting for Mario as Liverpool's player of the season:pac::pac:

http://www.thesportbible.com/articles/united-fans-attempt-to-hijack-liverpool-s-player-of-the-year-competition

zerks wrote: »

http://www.thesportbible.com/articles/united-fans-attempt-to-hijack-liverpool-s-player-of-the-year-competition

They will probably cancel the poll and do a new one on the Liverpool site for members, I would be brilliant if it actually happened

I remember something like that happened before in a Taylor swift comp and they cancelled the entire competition

Edit: I see you have to use your email to vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

zerks wrote: »

Done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Hococop wrote: »
    They will probably cancel the poll and do a new one on the Liverpool site for members, I would be brilliant if it actually happened

I remember something like that happened before in a Taylor swift comp and they cancelled the entire competition

Edit: I see you have to use your email to vote

Just make one up.

I used "twoJuan@UMadScousers.com"

Talk that United will sign Khedira.

Maybe we go German this year after going Spanish/Spanish speaking last year...

Hummels??? Khedira??? and my wildcard...Muller???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A mixture of Spanish and German would be beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Is Khedira really a player you all would want to see? He hasnt played a lot of football over the past two years so it's hard to tell where he's at. Would he be available on a free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I wouldnt be his biggest fan but Khedira on a free would be great business. Couldnt say no to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Is Khedira really a player you all would want to see? He hasnt played a lot of football over the past two years so it's hard to tell where he's at. Would he be available on a free?

According to the transfer markrt website his contract is up in June,

A player of his quality on a free would be a great addition to the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Carrick is 34 this year and we can't leave ourselves short in case of the inevitable injury crisis we seem to have every season,for a small fee or better as a free transfer I'd take him.
    Anyhow,he'd keep Hummels company in Manchester.:cool:

BILD really going with the story Klopp has told Dortmund he's exhausted and wants to leave at the end of the season and take a year out it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I though Khedira was all ready to go back to Germany this summer but if we sign him, will be a good squad option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

BILD really going with the story Klopp has told Dortmund he's exhausted and wants to leave at the end of the season and take a year out it seems.

Would of loved to see him manage utd after Moyes but we got the right man in the end

LVG is the man

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Presser at 12:30 today. Expected to be about his future. If he leaves there's a very good chance that there'll be a clear out at Dortmund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The wolves will circle around Dortmund now to feast on the talent at the club. ..

Will be interesting to see where Reus ends up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Part of the Klopp story is he was offered a big job in England last April, but Dortmund refused to let him leave.

Now who was looking for a new manager in England last April.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

wait till the city rumours hit over drive now!

dahat wrote: »
    The wolves will circle around Dortmund now to feast on the talent at the club. ..

Will be interesting to see where Reus ends up.

at most 1 maybe 2 big players will leave Dortmund, maybe because they got no champions league next season 2 will leave. Hummels imo will be one of those, more than likely coming to United, after that take your pick.

if he does end up at city, all bets are off for Reus to join him there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

#bringshinjihome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

He said he wants to take a break from coaching,so City can have Mike Bassett :D

Think Klopp would have trouble turning City around, I rate him highly but I don't think the City hierarchy would have the patience needed to give him the time too. Like look at how old their squad is, they're not ancient but not exactly spring chickens, no way could they press as high and have the engine his teams tend to have. High lines don't tend to work very well in England either, AVB got caught out a ridiculous amount of times trying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Klopp would be the exact wrong manager for City, would be just a bizarre appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Part of the Klopp story is he was offered a big job in England last April, but Dortmund refused to let him leave.

Now who was looking for a new manager in England last April.....

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he eventually succeeded Van Gaal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he eventually succeeded Van Gaal.

Wouldn't it be great if he took a year out and then for LVG's third season Klopp joined as an assistant manager/coach with a view to him taking over from LVG the following season :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement