Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Varane would be the dream signing at the back, I can't see it happen while hes getting first team football at Madrid. I'm a bit surprised by the lack of optimism at the thought of bringing in Hummels (I personally think its nailed on).

I honestly think Hummels would be an immense signing for any team, World Cup winner and on his day undoubtedly one of the best in the world in his position, I feel he would bring a level of assurance and confidence back the to defense we've been lacking since Vidic / Rio were on song.

Regardless, the mannor in which we've been playing recently has me excited for the future, and I'm looking forward to seeing who we can bring in.

If we're talking dream stuff, any lineup including the likes of Hummels, Pogba, Reus, Di Maria, Rooney, Ander, Mata... fantasy football stuff.

I hope we sign Hummels and go all out for Pogba, Id happily give them £50m + RVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

The MNF analysis is on the MUST Facebook page, if anyone is interested, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

keane2097 wrote: »
    Klopp would be the exact wrong manager for City, would be just a bizarre appointment.

why do you say that?

city just need a slight tweak in their formation and they will be potential champions again.

Take yaya toure out of midfield and play him off aguero where he can be devastating.

a new central midfielder like pogba and a centre half and city def have the squad to compete for league and champions league. they are also looking at a new left back, Gaya from Valencia has huge potential and having an excellent season, wouldn't be surprised if some of the big clubs around Europe make a move for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The next United manager will be one Pep Guardiola. Groundwork will be set for him, just as it was at Barca. Only so long you can last in a one horse league before you go insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Reckon Klopp will manage Arsenal in two years time if he doesn't go down the national team route, there will be some competition in the league if/when that happens

I think Van Gaal will stick around for 4 as long as things are good, or if Guardiola becomes available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

bangkok wrote: »
    why do you say that?

city just need a slight tweak in their formation and they will be potential champions again.

Take yaya toure out of midfield and play him off aguero where he can be devastating.

a new central midfielder like pogba and a centre half and city def have the squad to compete for league and champions league. they are also looking at a new left back, Gaya from Valencia has huge potential and having an excellent season, wouldn't be surprised if some of the big clubs around Europe make a move for him

What is the basic style of Klopp managed teams and how will that work with City's squad profile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Is no1 thinking giggs is been groomed to be next united manager? i think thats the way its going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

jayo26 wrote: »
    Is no1 thinking giggs is been groomed to be next united manager? i think thats the way its going.

Personally think Giggs needs more experience managing a first team before he would be given the United job. After the Moyes experience I can't see Giggs getting the job for a good while. A few years coaching abroad first might be just what Giggs needs. It would be strange to see him manage another premier league side to get experience but a big Champinship club might be another option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Can't imagine a club of United's stature would hand the reigns to someone with no experience. It would be utter madness.

What is the basic style of Klopp managed teams and how will that work with City's squad profile?

a couple of signings though and it can work, just look at some of the players they already have in their squad and like I said earlier a slight change in tactics to make it work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Giggs should be assistant for a few more years before you could even think to make her permanent manager. It would be lunacy to have him in control when the likes of Mourinho and Pep have rumoured interest in the role in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

MagicIRL wrote: »
    The next United manager will be one Pep Guardiola. Groundwork will be set for him, just as it was at Barca. Only so long you can last in a one horse league before you go insane.

The City "ITK's" seem to constantly re-iterate how City are putting everything in place to land Pep when his contract expires.

Something in my gut says he will succeed Van Gaal.

TheDoc wrote: »
    The City "ITK's" seem to constantly re-iterate how City are putting everything in place to land Pep when his contract expires.

Something in my gut says he will succeed Van Gaal.

Much like Van Gaal he has managed the two biggest clubs in the other two biggest leagues, it makes a certain amount of sense that he would follow suit and complete the treble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I'm sure the man is capable of transitioning a team and using a style of play that doesn't mean trying to make them into a full on pressing side straight away, particularly when they would be this unsuited to it.

City's squad is ageing, and they have spent poorly, but the way some people are going on you'd swear they need to sell and replace 15 players, which is way OTT. They need to strengthen in key areas and develop a new shape to their play, forgetting about playing two up top for a start. But so long as they're sensible about it, it's easily rectifiable in the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

With regard to Giggs gaining experience elsewhere, what would we deem to be adequate experience/success in order to take over at United?
    There have been numerous club legends who have gone on to become real good and very experienced managers 'elsewhere' but are no longer mentioned for the United job, ref. Hughes and Bruce for example, even Solskjaer, Ince and Keane, they've all had 'success'.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I'm sure the man is capable of transitioning a team and using a style of play that doesn't mean trying to make them into a full on pressing side straight away, particularly when they would be this unsuited to it.

City's squad is ageing, and they have spent poorly, but the way some people are going on you'd swear they need to sell and replace 15 players, which is way OTT. They need to strengthen in key areas and develop a new shape to their play, forgetting about playing two up top for a start. But so long as they're sensible about it, it's easily rectifiable in the Summer.

Leaving only the question of why, with the entire world available to you, would you want to hire a guy whose style suits almost literally zero of your players in order to ask him to play a different style with the hopes of eventually transitioning back to the original style once you have cleared out the bad purchases and replaced the old ones.

Oh and it's also the exact opposite style to what the technical director has been trying to install since the moment he was hired.

Klopp is obviously a good manager, but would be an utterly bizarre appointment by City.

Leaving only the question of why, with the entire world available to you, would you want to hire a guy whose style suits almost literally zero of your players in order to ask him to play a different style with the hopes of eventually transitioning back to the original style once you have cleared out the bad purchases and replaced the old ones.

Oh and it's also the exact opposite style to what the technical director has been trying to install since the moment he was hired.

Klopp is obviously a good manager, but would be an utterly bizarre appointment by City.

if the above is the case, then the likes of Pep Guardiola would also be unsuitable which is nonsense to be fair

ericzeking wrote: »
    With regard to Giggs gaining experience elsewhere, what would we deem to be adequate experience/success in order to take over at United?
    There have been numerous club legends who have gone on to become real good and very experienced managers 'elsewhere' but are no longer mentioned for the United job, ref. Hughes and Bruce for example, even Solskjaer, Ince and Keane, they've all had 'success'.

Win impressive stuff with a club that is not expected to win stuff. In a big league. Or make a club over-perform significantly. Also in a big league.

if the above is the case, then the likes of Pep Guardiola would also be unsuitable which is nonsense to be fair

Yore spot on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

bullvine wrote: »
    The MNF analysis is on the MUST Facebook page, if anyone is interested, cheers

Got a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I wasn't commenting on how much sense the appointment would make, personally I think the man would get tiresome very quickly and is overrated, much like his prize centre half, but that is another discussion.

My point was that City's squad doesn't nearly need to be tore up like the current consensus appears to judge. Signings in key areas and they could easily be a title winner next year, pressing or otherwise.

I have the feeling too that the footballing directors could be at risk this Summer too, particularly if the media ramp up the spotlight on them which I think they're preparing to do. And that would open the path for a manager to rebuild the squad as he sees it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Can't imagine a club of United's stature would hand the reigns to someone with no experience. It would be utter madness.

Pep appointed Barca manager. Is his stint as Barca reserve team manager really that big a deal here?

Pep appointed Barca manager. Is his stint as Barca reserve team manager really that big a deal here?

I always found that pretty odd to be honest. But also, Barcelona B is a real team in a real league and he achieved promotion with them. That's not nothing. Certainly more than Giggs has done.

I don't agree with giggs having to manage somewhere else pep didn't have any big experience before he took over at barca nor did Tito Villanova or Luis Enrique managed other teams but not great success I think giggs knows the club inside out he knows how it runs and therefor wouldn't be daunted by the task I think what united are doing with him is keeping doing what Barcelona have been doing for a while keeping the players that understand the club in and around the club structure so they can make the step up.

I always found that pretty odd to be honest. But also, Barcelona B is a real team in a real league and he achieved promotion with them. That's not nothing. Certainly more than Giggs has done.

Moyes managed a real team in the top division and also had promotion in the past too and that didn't help him because he didn't have the big club mentality, giggs has the instant respect of the players and he will of learned from fergie and from lvg.

• Advertisement

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I wasn't commenting on how much sense the appointment would make, personally I think the man would get tiresome very quickly and is overrated, much like his prize centre half, but that is another discussion.

My point was that City's squad doesn't nearly need to be tore up like the current consensus appears to judge. Signings in key areas and they could easily be a title winner next year, pressing or otherwise.

I have the feeling too that the footballing directors could be at risk this Summer too, particularly if the media ramp up the spotlight on them which I think they're preparing to do. And that would open the path for a manager to rebuild the squad as he sees it.

OK my post was entirely focussed on the fact that he would be a bizarre appointment, so we're talking at cross purposes.

If Txiki gets moved on this summer it might make a bit more sense, but you're still talking about hiring the wrong man for the wrong squad.

Moyes managed a real team in the top division and also had promotion in the past too and that didn't help him because he didn't have the big club mentality, giggs has the instant respect of the players and he will of learned from fergie and from lvg.

Is your argument that Moyes did a bad job, therefore Giggs will do a good job?

It's very different tbf, and much more an exception rather than a rule in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't want Giggs as manager in the future, unless he proves himself. Didn't think it was great how he picked his friends in the team and said how he couldn't sleep when it came to dropping players.
    There were some who had this romantic view that Giggs should be made the permanent manager, that idea gave me a dread of fear.
    It was a relief when he was not and we got an experienced manager who helped turn both Barcelona and Bayern Munich into the teams they are today.
    Something I believe Van Gaal will do with United - get us back to Champions League finals.

One can look to Van Gaal as the Godfather with managers like Guardiola and Mourniho the ones he helped to create. One could argue he could very well do the same with Giggs.
    But I would rather Guardiola or Mourinho to succeed Van Gaal, who has spoken earlier this year that he has the option to extend his contract.
    Giggs is young and should prove himself first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Who's to say that we have to be grooming Giggs for the job or that Giggs himself isn't happy being number two. It's very rare you see in any club that the assistant takes over from the manager even though almost every assistant down through the years under Fergie was speculated as taking over from him such as Quieroz. Leave Giggs where he is after Van Gaal goes and let him be the continuity linking previous sides with this one like Brian Kidd was (although Kidd was a long time away from United before he came back in 88')

• Advertisement

Is your argument that Moyes did a bad job, therefore Giggs will do a good job?

Nope my argument is that if you dont have the instant respect of the players and dont understand what it is like to be around a big club like united then your experience dont matter as much, yh united could go for a manager that has won alot of trophies next but think they will go for giggs and id have no problems with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't agree with giggs having to manage somewhere else pep didn't have any big experience before he took over at barca nor did Tito Villanova or Luis Enrique managed other teams but not great success I think giggs knows the club inside out he knows how it runs and therefor wouldn't be daunted by the task

Mike Phelan knew the club inside out and knew how it runs, should he have been appointed?

As a reason to appoint somebody as manager, it must be one of the less relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Mike Phelan knew the club inside out and knew how it runs, should he have been appointed?

As a reason to appoint somebody as manager, it must be one of the less relevant.

That's true. And if you believe Mike Phelan, he reckons he was running the training himself. So supposedly the transition would have been less than if Giggs took over. But he wasn't getting it in a million years.

Dont think phelen would of ever had a shot at it he never would have the same backing from the fans and seemed like the players were backing giggs last year,
    im notsaying giggs would be perfect im just giving my opinion that he maybe groomed for next united manager and i dont think he be a bad choice in my opinion going on what barca have done in the past,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Dont think phelen would of ever had a shot at it he never would have the same backing from the fans and seemed like the players were backing giggs last year,
    im notsaying giggs would be perfect im just giving my opinion that he maybe groomed for next united manager and i dont think he be a bad choice in my opinion going on what barca have done in the past,

And my opinion is that it would be a horrible way to select the manager of one of the biggest jobs in football.

And my opinion is that it would be a horrible way to select the manager of one of the biggest jobs in football.

Yep and your entitled to your opinion we dont havento agree on it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

D-FENS wrote: »
    Got a link?

Not allowed-I got in trouble the other day for posting one.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

LVG to stay for another couple of seasons then Pep to step in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I dont want Pep unless he changes his football style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I read somewhere that Pep & Tito Vilanova had agreed to take over at United (pre-Moyes) but Tito backed out later, that led to Pep and Tito falling out.

Not sure how true this is obviously but it makes for an interesting story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Random news.

BILD report that Gundogan is no longer a target and City are now a more likely destination.

De Telegraaf report that Chelsea and Arsenal have pulled out of the race for Depay, with us or Liverpool his options now. We're apparently favoured due to his relationship with LVG.

Sky Sports report that Tom Cleverly could join Arsenal or Spurs when his contract runs out with us in a few weeks.

Random sources claiming us, Pool and Chelsea are monitoring Walcott's contract situation; he's out of contract next summer, wants to stay at Arsenal but also wants first team football.

The DailyStar claim that Manchester United are set to launch a £37 Million move for Paris Saint-Germain’s Thiago Silva and Gregory Van Der Wiel. RVP and Hernandez are also named as possible players going the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Some of you enjoyed my mini-collage to the Mata/Herrera bromance, so I thought why not publish it for the World to see? So that's exactly what I did.

http://balls.ie/football/00013-examples-of-ander-herrera-bromance/

MmHXwsu.jpg

Hope you enjoy it.

Hugs,

Mikey.

anyway, we wont have to worry about a united Manager for another 3 years anyway and as we know in football many things can happen in 3 years.

anyway, we wont have to worry about a united Manager for another 3 years anyway and as we know in football many things can happen in 3 years.

Like a CL win. #YouHeardItHereFirst

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

To be taken with a pinch of salt, but apparently the Nathaniel Clyne to United is a done deal

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/570621/Nathaniel-Clyne-Man-Utd-Southampton

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    To be taken with a pinch of salt, but apparently the Nathaniel Clyne to United is a done deal

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/570621/Nathaniel-Clyne-Man-Utd-Southampton

is he good enough for united?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Would be a great addition to the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

is he good enough for united?

He's not better than Rafael and has a worse HG status for the club afaik, so no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

People need to get over the Rafael obsession, he can't be relied upon to be fit enough to hold down a place at United. If he is the reason we don't sign a right back then it would be a huge mistake.

Clyne is an excellent right back, be delighted to get him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Liam O wrote: »
    He's not better than Rafael and has a worse HG status for the club afaik, so no.

I think you may be in the minority with that opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement