Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Rafael is now officially the most overrated player in the history of the universe IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Clyne looks so comfortable with the ball at feet, I remember reading that Van Gaal's philosophy calls for 11 players completely comfortable in possession

Clyne and Hummels in would be great in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Saw Clyne in an England friendly against Italy recently - wasnt overly impressed with him at all. Caught out of position a few times and poor distribution. But then was only judging him on that game so perhaps being unfair to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Rats, the discussion has turned to a player that I have no opinion on. I refuse to form an opinion based on YouTube footage. I'm just going to default to agreeing with whatever keane2097 has to say about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

kstand wrote: »
    Saw Clyne in an England friendly against Italy recently - wasnt overly impressed with him at all. Caught out of position a few times and poor distribution. But then was only judging him on that game so perhaps being unfair to him.

Seamus Coleman looks nothing like the player he is at Everton when he plays for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

kstand wrote: »

yea wasn't impressed either, anyone know how he performed against hazard or remember what he was like against us? I cant remember to be honest. United is a massive step up from Southampton.

of all the players that left saints last summer,

Shaw
    Lallana
    Lambert
    Lovern
    Chambers

could you honestly say any of them have been a success so far or is that being overly harsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Liam O wrote: »
    He's not better than Rafael and has a worse HG status for the club afaik, so no.

:eek: He's streets ahead of him imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

bangkok wrote: »
    yea wasn't impressed either, anyone know how he performed against hazard or remember what he was like against us? I cant remember to be honest. United is a massive step up from Southampton.

of all the players that left saints last summer,

Shaw
    Lallana
    Lambert
    Lovern
    Chambers

could you honestly say any of them have been a success so far or is that being overly harsh?

Not being harsh - think its a fair assessment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Clyne looks so comfortable with the ball at feet, I remember reading that Van Gaal's philosophy calls for 11 players completely comfortable in possession

Clyne and Hummels in would be great in my book

Hummels has Rio syndrome. He is dispossessed all the time in a dodgy area because he thinks he needs to live up to the reputation he has as some sort of ball playing defender. He isn't as good on the ball as he thinks he is and this coupled with his lack of pace would worry me if I was picking defenders to sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think shaw cant really be judged yet he is young and will get more experienced id be more worried about his injury record then his ability.
    Lambert was never going to be a shrewd bit of business I think everyone could see that only Rodgers he is too slow for how Liverpool play.
    The other two probably haven't lived up to the hype and what was expected you could say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Rats, the discussion has turned to a player that I have no opinion on. I refuse to form an opinion based on YouTube footage. I'm just going to default to agreeing with whatever keane2097 has to say about it.

A wise decision.

Are you talking about Rafael or Clyne?

Rafael was a player of decent potential who will never now not be a nothing player (carefully chosen number of negatives).

Clyne is pretty decent but that's about all IMO, although that's only based on realistically say 10 games if even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Liam O wrote: »
    He's not better than Rafael and has a worse HG status for the club afaik, so no.

English players aren't home grown?

Kirby wrote: »
    Hummels has Rio syndrome. He is dispossessed all the time in a dodgy area because he thinks he needs to live up to the reputation he has as some sort of ball playing defender. He isn't as good on the ball as he thinks he is and this coupled with his lack of pace would worry me if I was picking defenders to sign.

extremely harsh, rio is probably the best defender in England last 20 years and hummels is probably in the top 5 defenders in the world right now

keane2097 wrote: »
    A wise decision.

Are you talking about Rafael or Clyne?

Rafael was a player of decent potential who will never now not be a nothing player (carefully chosen number of negatives).

Clyne is pretty decent but that's about all IMO, although that's only based on realistically say 10 games if even.

Yeah Clyne is who I meant. I would never have paid enough attention to him to be able to have a worthwhile opinion. Rafael, naturally, I have. ;)

Kirby wrote: »

He isn't dispossessed all the time though, Ramos, Otamendi Thiago Silva all get dispossessed as much or more

But Hummels' attack building passing is miles ahead of all those named

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

2 years ago I can remember a Summer long debate as to who we should be signing and Shaw and Clyne were both massively backed by a lot of posters in here. At the time Clyne was not at Southampton and Shaw was being compared to Baines as a better long term option.

Some of you in here are ahead of the curve. As Directors of Football you might have saved a good few million buying those lads earlier.

There was similar shouts for Kevin Strootman before he went to Roma aswell.

I think shaw is better than clyne, 17 million isn't bad, it'd probably cost 12/14 million for a similar level full back on the continent and Clyne is English so will cost more

I'd rather we get someone to stalk Porto's Brazilian scout and get the next youngster he's planning on bringing through who will be sold for 30 or 40 million to a big club in 3 years time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

RasTa wrote: »
    English players aren't home grown?

Not necessarily anymore.

New rules coming into effect where it's not trained in England, it's trained at your club that count for the home-grown rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Not necessarily anymore.

New rules coming into effect where it's not trained in England, it's trained at your club that count for the home-grown rule.

not quite. For eurpe you need a certain quote of players who are home grown at the club, don't think that is the case for PL.

The new rule being brought in is the ages for home grown have been lowered so a player like Raf, or Fabregas wouldn't be considered home grown in the future (though those specific players might still be, don't know)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Can't imagine a club of United's stature would hand the reigns to someone with no experience. It would be utter madness.

Well Barca gave Pep Guardiola and Luis Enrique and things worked out pretty well for them.

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Not necessarily anymore.

That doesn't make any sense if the player in question is English born.

Well Barca gave Pep Guardiola and Luis Enrique and things worked out pretty well for them.

Which in no way means that all people with no football management experience are guaranteed to become Pep Guardiola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Giggy will be off managing another club before becoming United Manager, I would even go as far as a Championship team or League 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Is Pogba a home grown player?

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Giggy will be off managing another club before becoming United Manager, I would even go as far as a Championship team or League 1

current Manchester united assistant manager with 25 years experience playing in the premier league, not a hope he goes to manage in league 1.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Is Pogba a home grown player?

no he was 3 months short of earning that status.

Premier League rules state that to qualify as home grown, a player must have spent three entire seasons or 36 months with an English club prior to his 21st birthday or the end of the season in which he turns 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Enrique was at Roma and Celta before coming back to Barca. And even then there were rumours he would be going early this season after supposed issues with Messi. If I had a side with Neymar, Suarez and Messi up front, regardless of whether they respect the manager or not, I'd still be expecting to beat 90% of league sides.

Which in no way means that all people with no football management experience are guaranteed to become Pep Guardiola.

Very true but on the flip side, it also means that there is a chance he could be very successful.

His experience with Sir Fergie could ensure that United continue the supposed United way and under the LVG, plenty to learn just like Mourinho did with keeping in mind that if LVG leaves a good structure, it's a very good platform to come onto and possibly have an immediate impact in time to come. One I think most United fans would love to see. Not guaranteed as you say but sure nothing is in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement

Very true but on the flip side, it also means that there is a chance he could be very successful.

His experience with Sir Fergie could ensure that United continue the supposed United way and under the LVG, plenty to learn just like Mourinho did with keeping in mind that if LVG leaves a good structure, it's a very good platform to come onto and possibly have an immediate impact in time to come. One I think most United fans would love to see. Not guaranteed as you say but sure nothing is in football.

Ryan Giggs may or may not become a very good manager, but right now we have absolutely no evidence for that, nor reason to believe it.

Now LVG / SAF / the powers that be at United who are working with him all the time may decide that he's the mutt's nuts and has what it takes to lead United to glory. But my default position as a fan, without evidence to the contrary, is that he is just like the majority of former footballers and is unlikely to be a managerial prodigy from the outset.

Saying "hey look, some other people did a good job right out of the gate" tells us nothing about Ryan Giggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Was reading a Chelsea thread on another forum and there the conversation was going along the lines off

"I'm a bit worried about this. The team have looked a little leggy in the last few weeks, and United are on a massive high, and seem to be getting a second wind. How quickly they sorted themselves out after going one nill down so quick was scary".

"Watched the Derby after we played Rangers to have a football day on the couch, kinda wish I didn't...few months ago would have had no worries about this game, but I'm really worried".

"I trust Mou to stiffle the game and keep things compact and deal with the way United are playing, but it's not exactly the ideal scenario. Will look at a bit cowering as the league leaders to shut up shop against them"

"I'm confident we can shut up shop and nick a goal on the counter, has 1-0 all over it."

"Matic has dipped a bit lately. Really going to have to step it up to handle Fellaini. After seeing him destroy Toure I'm sure Jose will be revving Matic up all week for the fight"

That last line was substantial, considering the last time out Fellaini was dealing with Fabregas and it was us wondering how to contain Chelsea.

Crazy how quick things change in football.

Ryan Giggs may or may not become a very good manager, but right now we have absolutely no evidence for that, nor reason to believe it.

Now LVG / SAF / the powers that be at United who are working with him all the time may decide that he's the mutt's nuts and has what it takes to lead United to glory. But my default position as a fan, without evidence to the contrary, is that he is just like the majority of former footballers and is unlikely to be a managerial prodigy from the outset.

Saying "hey look, some other people did a good job right out of the gate" tells us nothing about Ryan Giggs.

I completely agree and it would be a risk. A risk I would love to see be successful.

Laurent Blanc went straight to Bordeux and was an instant success for them And he was fairly inexperienced So just an example of how it can work out If you have the head for it. Sure Fergie had experience and he was a match away from getting fired only that didn't happen thankfully and look at the success.

Anyway it is all speculation and dreaming and could go well or horribly wrong but as a fan, I would love to see it work out for Giggs at United and for a long stretch like Busby and Fergie did as that I believe is how United like to have things with their manager and it would be fairy tale stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

With Klopp confirming he's leaving BvB we should go on an all out raid there.

Humms, Gun dogs and Reus (most of all).

Hell, lets bring Kagawa back, he'd work well with Herrera and Mata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

#FreeShinji

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

TheDoc wrote: »
    "Matic has dipped a bit lately. Really going to have to step it up to handle Fellaini. After seeing him destroy Toure I'm sure Jose will be revving Matic up all week for the fight"

That last line was substantial, considering the last time out Fellaini was dealing with Fabregas and it was us wondering how to contain Chelsea.

Crazy how quick things change in football.

Matic and Cesc played the last 3 games under the cloud of a potential 2 match suspension, it effected Matic more than it did Cesc, as it limits his influence on the game, I was hoping he'd be booked against Hull so he'd miss the Stoke and QPR games and be back for Utd and Arsenal fully fit, whats better is hes played, albeit not well and hasnt picked up a card in any of the 3 games, he'll be let off the leash for the rest of the season and should preform better on Saturday.

I dont know why some fans are being so pesimistic, Utd are in great form at home, away record isnt great, 7th best in hte league overall, Chelseas home record of late isnt great either although its the 2nd best in the league, so I'd say a draw is likely if I was gambling on it.

Depending on what aspirations Utd hold, a draw mightnt be a bad result but the current top 3 look pretty much nailed on with only City looking likely to miss out on top 4 and thats not likely either IMO unless they seriously screw up.

I'm more confident of getting a result against Utd than I am about going to the Emirates though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I really hope this cat is called De Gea

tumblr_nmue5ciJD01s2yegdo1_500.gif

With Klopp confirming he's leaving BvB we should go on an all out raid there.

Humms, Gun dogs and Reus (most of all).

Hell, lets bring Kagawa back, he'd work well with Herrera and Mata.

Wouldn't it be funny if he ended up somewhere like Madrid or barca or psg where they have loads of money and he went and raided Bayern for some of there players... Maybe its a plan with Dortmund ....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/588355593099935745

Falcao has made the ad for the USA Tour.

So has Jan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

So has ADM!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Lord TSC wrote: »

Falcao has made the ad for the USA Tour.

Last hurrah?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

So has this seasons jersey!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

So has this seasons jersey!!

They'll be wearing Nike for pre season

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

xtal191 wrote: »
    They'll be wearing Nike for pre season

Touché :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm going to be in the .01% but I think ADM and Falcao will stay.

#bonkerskew

#bonkerskew

It's only the second part of that that would make your percentage fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

#bonkerskew
    Falcao on loan or 40 odd million??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

#bonkerskew

With the Falcao part, for some reason I think it might be an obligation to buy not an option and the only reason it was a loan was for the FFP that was documented at the time.

They could have put RVP or Mata in there but chose to put Falcao in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

irishfeen wrote: »
    Falcao on loan or 40 odd million??

No idea got hunch. But we will see.

No idea got hunch. But we will see.

could be why he is so happy lately

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement