Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Falcao isnt the same player he was before his injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Cavani has been awful tonight again. I really hope we're not planning on wasting a wad on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

astradave wrote: »
    With the Falcao part, for some reason I think it might be an obligation to buy not an option and the only reason it was a loan was for the FFP that was documented at the time.

They could have put RVP or Mata in there but chose to put Falcao in

I reckon they balanced the 2014 books with James to Real, and the only reason we haven't paid the fee for Falcao yet is to balance 2015's so to speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Cavani has been awful tonight again. I really hope we're not planning on wasting a wad on him.

I got on here to say something similar. If Rooney played like that we'd be all slaughtering him saying he is over rated and past his best. Same with Falcao.

I'd honestly rather have Falcao next season in the squad instead of RVP. Falcao seems happy to fight for a spot. Not sure RVP would be happy doing that. Falcao on loan again might be ideal. If at all possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wouldn't mind Casemiro and Hector Herrera off Porto. Jackson Martinez and Brahimi too but not sure we'd go for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Maybe someone can correct me, but wasn't LVG complaining about the US tour last summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Unearthly wrote: »
    Maybe someone can correct me, but wasn't LVG complaining about the US tour last summer?

yes - and this summers trip will be shorter than last years, and be in one location.

It was the travel time and location hoping that was the problem. They will have only one base this time around.

united were not going to compete in the ICC but the organizers said we could pick where/when we play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

IIRC he complained about the travel time the tour took and how he would preferred his first pre-season to be based much closer to home post world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think he said the tour last year was too long and they were travelling too much,apparently this years tour is only going to be two weeks long

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/14/manchester-united-shorter-usa-pre-season-summer

• Advertisement

Has anyone noticed Berbatovs hair transplant? Hardly newsworthy but Rooney has really blazed a trail.

I would like to see Falcao get another season at United presuming that he could be bought cheaper than £40m. Rooney, Falcao, RVP and either Lacazette or Ings would be my shout for next season. With C.L./Europa qualification and hopefully a stronger run in the C1 Cup, we're looking at 50 games minimum and back to two games a week territory where squad rotation will be key.

Rooney has to be number 1 choice in a 4-1-4-1, with the others to compete/rotate with him for the CF spot. Wilson has a bright future, but at 19 years old I think that future depends on him getting regular football at senior level next season. That might not happen at United, but could at a championship team. If needs be, make the loan until January rather than the full season.

I don't think this is the Summer for a marquee signing at CF. Any signing of that ilk would more than likely have to be a regular starter in the 11 along with Rooney, and this would involve tinkering with the formation and likely the MF again and render the laborious work of this season undone.

Any striker bought this Summer, if any, has to be bought with the thought of competing with/replacing Rooney in a few years, not straight away, and bedding into the team in the mean time. Rooney has shown through his recent goal drought that even when not with the ball, he still does wonders for our other attacking players' goal prospects. Imagine what this could be like once he starts scoring again.

Lacazette will possibly go elsewhere this Summer, Ings is probably the more likely for what we need at the moment, but despite his first season being a failure I'd still like to take a chance on Falcao for next season. I'm just not sure about a £40m chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

stankratz wrote: »
    Any striker bought this Summer, if any, has to be bought with the thought of competing with/replacing Rooney in a few years, not straight away, and bedding into the team in the mean time.

But Falcao doesn't meet this requirement, he's the same age as Rooney so why bother with him at all, even at 15/20 million?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Anyone got a link to the MNF analysis of last Sundays game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Robson99 wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to the MNF analysis of last Sundays game

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/video-jamie-carragher-and-gary-neville-expertly-dissect-the-manchester-derby-on-mnf-31140723.html

(I hope that's not against any posting rules if so delete)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah I've been a big fan over the years but his move to PSG has basically ruined him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I would like to see Falcao get another season at United presuming that he could be bought cheaper than £40m. Rooney, Falcao, RVP and either Lacazette or Ings would be my shout for next season. With C.L./Europa qualification and hopefully a stronger run in the C1 Cup, we're looking at 50 games minimum and back to two games a week territory where squad rotation will be key.

Don't understand this though. We'd have to pay 30-40m for Falcao who is 29 and hasn't looked anywhere near good enough since a serious knee injury. Some players just don't aclimitise to the Premier League - different speed, different attributes needed and he doesn't really suit the formation we're trying to play either. It'd be a pure gamble to sign him up for next season when at least with RVP you know he is proven in the Premier League, we don't have to fork out anything else for him this summer, has 10 goals in 24 in the league this year and hasn't played well. I'm giving RVP some leeway on his performances this season because of the World Cup but if we're to spend money on a striker it'd be better spent on a youngster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

GSPfan wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed Berbatovs hair transplant? Hardly newsworthy but Rooney has really blazed a trail.

Anthony Stokes and Leigh Griffiths have a fair old mop on them now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Have heard a few say Chelsea might play Zouma in midfield to man mark Fellaini and I wouldn't put it past Mourinho to play with 5 defenders on the pitch in this one

Will be some battle if it happens, both massive men

But Falcao doesn't meet this requirement, he's the same age as Rooney so why bother with him at all, even at 15/20 million?

Just on the off-chance that Falcao becomes Falcao again. For £15-20m, I think it would be worth the chance. I'd just hate to see him leave and go on to get 20+ goals elsewhere next season, not that him leaving United is guaranteed to happen or is he scoring 20+ goals anywhere next season.

But that said, nothing he has done so far proves deserving of a permanent move, this would be a rare occasion of me opting for blind faith.

Don't understand this though. We'd have to pay 30-40m for Falcao who is 29 and hasn't looked anywhere near good enough since a serious knee injury. Some players just don't aclimitise to the Premier League - different speed, different attributes needed and he doesn't really suit the formation we're trying to play either. It'd be a pure gamble to sign him up for next season when at least with RVP you know he is proven in the Premier League, we don't have to fork out anything else for him this summer, has 10 goals in 24 in the league this year and hasn't played well. I'm giving RVP some leeway on his performances this season because of the World Cup but if we're to spend money on a striker it'd be better spent on a youngster.

Can you stop it with that sense talk and just let me dream about what could have been with Falcao and United?! :pac:

Of course it doesn't make sense to part with that money to retain his services and I wouldn't condone that big of a gamble, I would just be interested to see what could happen if the club managed to get him much cheaper than £40m.

While I do think Falcao should have done a lot more with the minutes given to him, I still think that he didn't exactly come to United/The Premier League in an ideal season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Any striker bought this Summer, if any, has to be bought with the thought of competing with/replacing Rooney in a few years, not straight away, and bedding into the team in the mean time. Rooney has shown through his recent goal drought that even when not with the ball, he still does wonders for our other attacking players' goal prospects. Imagine what this could be like once he starts scoring again.

Recent goal drought? He's scored 4 goals in his last 6 games since he moved forward, out of midfield. That's a more than respectable return. By way of comparison, Aguero's two goals on Sunday were the first time he's scored in the Premiership since the middle of February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Nah that's natural re-growth.

He does what he wants.

Sand wrote: »
    Recent goal drought? He's scored 4 goals in his last 6 games since he moved forward, out of midfield. That's a more than respectable return. By way of comparison, Aguero's two goals on Sunday were the first time he's scored in the Premiership since the middle of February.

Absolutely, his spell in CM and lack of goals between the end of December and middle of February is skewing my view of his goal return and definitely the main reason his total goals for the season so far are down slightly. My point stands though; When he is not scoring or shining on-the-ball, he is still a better all-round player and does more for the rest of the attack than any other striker we currently have on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Absolutely, his spell in CM and lack of goals between the end of December and middle of February is skewing my view of his goal return and definitely the main reason his total goals for the season so far are down slightly. My point stands though; When he is not scoring or shining on-the-ball, he is still a better all-round player and does more for the rest of the attack than any other striker we currently have on the bench.

Agreed, he is the best #9 we have for the team and better than anyone realistically available to us this summer. The only concern I have about our strikers is once you go past Rooney looking for a similarly mobile striker you are down to a 19/20 year old. Going into a season of 50+ games with just Rooney and Wilson for #9 would be a gamble so I presume there will be investment in a third striker who can have an immediate impact.

Youtubed Depay there and only just realised he is right footed. Don't know why i assumed he was left footed.

Anyway, Is he that good? Would it be easier to just give Nani another shot? Youtube clips normally make people look great but he just looks alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Can you stop it with that sense talk and just let me dream about what could have been with Falcao and United?! :pac:

Of course it doesn't make sense to part with that money to retain his services and I wouldn't condone that big of a gamble, I would just be interested to see what could happen if the club managed to get him much cheaper than £40m.

While I do think Falcao should have done a lot more with the minutes given to him, I still think that he didn't exactly come to United/The Premier League in an ideal season.

Ah sure I have to stop myself watching old videos of Falcao at Atletico in order to remain sensible on the subject! :pac: Would have loved it to work out and was hopping around the place when he signed in August - just wasn't to be unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Youtubed Depay there and only just realised he is right footed. Don't know why i assumed he was left footed.

Anyway, Is he that good? Would it be easier to just give Nani another shot? Youtube clips normally make people look great but he just looks alright.

I kept an eye on him during the world cup and wasn't that impressed but apparently he got his 25th goal of the season last week.that's some going for a player who is not a striker.

Sand wrote: »
    Agreed, he is the best #9 we have for the team and better than anyone realistically available to us this summer. The only concern I have about our strikers is once you go past Rooney looking for a similarly mobile striker you are down to a 19/20 year old. Going into a season of 50+ games with just Rooney and Wilson for #9 would be a gamble so I presume there will be investment in a third striker who can have an immediate impact.

Well maybe LVG will want to keep Wilson around rather than loan him out like I suggested in my original post. He certainly has ability, I just don't want to see his development suffer as a result of sitting on the bench. Ings seems to be quite mobile, having played at #10 and on the left also. £8-10m should be enough to get a deal done with Burnley. Granted, Ings hasn't scored or assisted since February, but for such a low fee I reckon it'd be worth it to see how he'd fair out on a bigger stage. He could be useful to have in the squad along with Rooney, RVP, Wilson and Falcao, if he's still around. Here I am talking about Ings and a cut-price, 'unproven since the injury' Falcao, while Woodward is probably eyeing up a bid for Muller and Lacazette :pac:

After last Summer I really have no clue what surprises to expect, but only hope that the club get as much of their business done as early as possible. No Euros, no W.C., having a full squad plus signings available to go on pre-season tour would be great for the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wtf are the newspapers doing constantly linking us with Ings. Bloody hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I don't know what video you watched but this one makes him look like a complete beast. Pace, skills, and an absolute ****load of goals. You know the YouTube video is deceptive when none of the highlights show any goals, or when the shot changes after a trick so you don't see the lad lose the ball. Memphis' highlights are almost exclusively goals and assists.

At 21 he's the top scorer in the Dutch league, and that's not from a central position. People often talk down on the Eredivisie but lets not forget Daley Blind was signed from there and has been one of our better players this season, which isn't bad considering the general consensus was that he wouldn't be good enough for United.

He's an exciting player, the type that has that spark that means he could develop into an elite player. United is a fantastic stage to make that jump, and as he has literally said that Louis Van Gaal is like the father he never had, I really think people should be excited about this signing. If it happens of course.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Wtf are the newspapers doing constantly linking us with Ings. Bloody hell
    Maybe it isn't their fault. Maybe United are interested in a young, cheap, striker this summer and Ings fits the bill having impressed the players and coaching staff when Burnley played at OT a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Maybe it isn't their fault. Maybe United are interested in a young, cheap, striker this summer and Ings fits the bill having impressed the players and coaching staff when Burnley played at OT a while back.

Might be well worth the punt and all. Been impressed with him when I've seen him. Big strong lad, works hard, brilliant at holding the ball up and can score goals.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I don't know what video you watched but this one makes him look like a complete beast. Pace, skills, and an absolute ****load of goals. You know the YouTube video is deceptive when none of the highlights show any goals, or when the shot changes after a trick so you don't see the lad lose the ball. Memphis' highlights are almost exclusively goals and assists.

At 21 he's the top scorer in the Dutch league, and that's not from a central position. People often talk down on the Eredivisie but lets not forget Daley Blind was signed from there and has been one of our better players this season, which isn't bad considering the general consensus was that he wouldn't be good enough for United.

He's an exciting player, the type that has that spark that means he could develop into an elite player. United is a fantastic stage to make that jump, and as he has literally said that Louis Van Gaal is like the father he never had, I really think people should be excited about this signing. If it happens of course.

Saw him playing a few times this season - very impressed with him. Think he'd be well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Depay also scored at the world cup, he is still very young and is on a trajectory goal scoring wise which suggests he could be one of the main stars in the coming years.
    As already mentioned, he has scored 25 goals in 36 games with 6 assists.
    He should be bought this summer, because he should only improve.

United have done well buying from PSV - Jaap Stam and Ruud Van Nistelrooy are two we were more than happy with.
    Van Gaal took Depay to the world cup and played him as a 20 year old, Van Gaal the man who gave players like Iniesta and Muller a chance.
    Depay would be an excellent signing.

As for summer signings, well we are now in a position that certainly I didnt see us in 6 weeks ago after the wins against City, Liverpool and Spurs and that means CL football and that a wider pool of players are available to us.
    Memphis Depay
    Danny Ings - if the paper stories are true and the price is right, think he could be a an excellent signing
    A centre half - not sure about Hummells, think he's not all that he's made out to be
    Strootman/Vidal - the cement that midfield

And maybe a right winger depending on what happens with Di Maria

At 21 Depay is still a kid too. If he can be bought for 10m it looks like good business imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

At 21 Depay is still a kid too. If he can be bought for 10m it looks like good business imo.

He will be £20 million plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I've kept half an eye on PSV recently just because of Memphis Depay. Top scorer in the Erdivisie so far this season playing mostly from wide positions. He's very talented and can still improve a lot.

I'd be just as exciting about him joining as I was for Van Persie, Mata, Di Maria, etc. He is potentially a world class player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I wouldn't pay too much attention to Depay's scoring record, the Eredovisie is a ridiculous league when it comes to defending, but he looks like a great talent. Very skilful and amazing engine on him. It's always a risk with young players, especially ones moving country, but Depay is a prospect who is worth going for, as long as the price doesn't get ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to Depay's scoring record, the Eredovisie is a ridiculous league when it comes to defending, but he looks like a great talent. Very skilful and amazing engine on him. It's always a risk with young players, especially ones moving country, but Depay is a prospect who is worth going for, as long as the price doesn't get ridiculous.

Would agree aout his scoring record - was it Mataja Kezman who came to the EPL with a ridiculous record from his playing days in the Erdivisie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

kstand wrote: »
    Would agree aout his scoring record - was it Mataja Kezman who came to the EPL with a ridiculous record from his playing days in the Erdivisie?

Afonso Alves had more goals than games in the Eredivisie. Kuyt also scored a bundle as did Altidore.

Suarez and Bony would be two did came to the EPL and did well.

Angelo henriquez has scored 21 goals for Dinamo already this season :eek::eek::eek::eek:

anywhere i look suggests that he is still on loan, however i thought we sold him????

United website seems to suggest we still have him also but these reports are very conflicting...

http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/10/manchester-united-youngster-angelo-henriquez-wants-to-stay-at-dinamo-zagreb-after-loan-spell-5096660/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2909550/Manchester-United-agree-sell-Angelo-Henriquez-Dinamo-Zagreb-1m.html
    ‘We have bought him outright,’ said Mamic. ‘Taking Henriquez depends on us, not on Manchester United. We took him with the right of first refusal, which stands at around €1.5m (£1.1m), and we have already signed a contract with him for the summer. There is no longer any doubt – he is ours and the story is resolved.'

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/angelo-henriquez-juventus-circle-have-man-utd-blundered-his-sale-4072915#.VS93s_nF90c

very unclear anyway as to what is happening with him.

its a strange one...id rather have Hernandez as the back up striker but ive not seen enough of Ings to fully comment on him. i guess im swayed by previous horror stories of midtable strikers moving to bigger clubs and it not working out too well though suppose it did for us in certain terms for the likes of Saha and Yorke.

As for summer signings, well we are now in a position that certainly I didnt see us in 6 weeks ago after the wins against City, Liverpool and Spurs and that means CL football and that a wider pool of players are available to us.
    Memphis Depay
    Danny Ings - if the paper stories are true and the price is right, think he could be a an excellent signing
    A centre half - not sure about Hummells, think he's not all that he's made out to be
    Strootman/Vidal - the cement that midfield

And maybe a right winger depending on what happens with Di Maria

this mornings The Times has the following departures this summer - 9 in total.

Evans, Rafael, Lindegard, along with all the players on Loan - Amos, Keane, Cleverly, Nani, Hernandez, Powell

strangely enough, it mentions nothing about Falcao leaving.

so, if all of them go which is highly likely, then we need at least 5 or 6 new signings this summer as our squad is already bare if you exclude the young lads (Adnan, Wilson, Thorpe,Blackett,Mcnair,Periera) we only would have 17 senior players left in it....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

i still think we need to keep 3 from Nani, Rafael,Evans Hernandez and add 4 players to it.

for every player that leaves out of that 4, we need to add another to the squad so i cant see 8 players coming in. considering alot of players have left on free and the transfer fees for those players would be minimal, i can see a few low cost transfers coming in like Ings, De Jong and maybe one other then adding 3 big signings such as Hummels, Clyne (whom i dont agree with) and a midfielder like Pogba.

Evans, Rafael, Lindegard, along with all the players on Loan - Amos, Keane, Cleverly, Nani, Hernandez, Powell

so, if all of them go which is highly likely, then we need at least 5 or 6 new signings this summer as our squad is already bare if you exclude the young lads (Adnan, Wilson, Thorpe,Blackett,Mcnair,Periera) we only would have 17 senior players left in it....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

i still think we need to keep 3 from Nani, Rafael,Evans Hernandez and add 4 players to it.

And that is the Times assuming that Falcao, Di Maria and RVP stay put?

And that is the Times assuming that Falcao, Di Maria and RVP stay put?

does anybody actually expect RVP to leave if Falcao and Hernandez go?

no way all 3 are going and im pretty confident RVP is going nowhere unless Falcao is staying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

does anybody actually expect RVP to leave if Falcao and Hernandez go?

no way all 3 are going and im pretty confident RVP is going nowhere unless Falcao is staying.

You're right, not a hope all 3 will go

I wouldn't be surprised if Chico and Rvp stay

its a strange one...id rather have Hernandez as the back up striker but ive not seen enough of Ings to fully comment on him. i guess im swayed by previous horror stories of midtable strikers moving to bigger clubs and it not working out too well though suppose it did for us in certain terms for the likes of Saha and Yorke.

ON Ings, it might be worthwhile to look at Neville's appraisal of Rooney at the weekend.

According to Neville he reckons Rooney played an almost perfect game without actually seeming to do anything.

It could be that the job expected of the central striker differs to what we would expect at its core. Obviously teh player still needs to be a goal threat, but I think a primary facet of their role is to simply occupy and move defenders, to make space for the wingers and midfielders to come in to. We scored 4 goals vs City, two from wingers, one from a midfielder and the other from a set piece.

It could simply be that in Ings LVG sees a cheap option - and a player that while not the deadliest finisher in football, has the tools and intelligence to play a role that is as much about creating space for others.

It should also be considered that if we are moving for Ings, at a very cheap price, it could be because we need the money for big moves elsewhere. Also, while we've seen very little from him this season, United are VERY optimistic on Wilson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

for every player that leaves out of that 4, we need to add another to the squad so i cant see 8 players coming in. considering alot of players have left on free and the transfer fees for those players would be minimal, i can see a few low cost transfers coming in like Ings, De Jong and maybe one other then adding 3 big signings such as Hummels, Clyne (whom i dont agree with) and a midfielder like Pogba.

well technically he is not our player and is only on loan so that's why he is down as not leaving the club

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Anthony Stokes and Leigh Griffiths have a fair old mop on them now too.

Fabregas has had one also.

Lad I know in work has been to Turkey for two. 2500 each time all in. Gone from bald to decent head of hair. His confidence was rock bottom before hand, his head shape didn't suit baldness and the women ignored him. He got the piss ripped a bit but he says its the best thing he's ever done, confidence is back, looks much younger and has had a few different gf's since. More power to him I say.

Nothing to do with UTD but there ya go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Johner wrote: »
    Afonso Alves had more goals than games in the Eredivisie. Kuyt also scored a bundle as did Altidore.

Suarez and Bony would be two did came to the EPL and did well.

I would have said Kuyt did well in the Premier League. He averaged just worse than a goal every 2 games in Holland, so it's hardly surprising that his record in a higher quality league was worse than that.

Altidore didn't do well in Spain, didn't well in England the first time, didn't do well in Turkey, but the one time he had consistent run a team was with AZ - he did ok. Most players will only hit their best form when they get a consistent run in the team and people show faith in them. It was not a surprise when he came back to England again, in a higher quality league again, playing a bit part role - that it didn't work out.

The difference with Depay is, he is 21 and only starting his development. He has improved his return greatly over the seasons. His scoring record is mainly with him playing on the wing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement