Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

astradave wrote: »

They could have put RVP or Mata in there but chose to put Falcao in

Would have thought Falcao a given, based on the South American population in the U.S.

Also everything under the sun indicates Depay would cost circa £25m , that is literally a must buy. PSV are up their with Ajax in terms of churning out talent.

I'm pretty much 99.9% confident he will be a United player start of next season.

The Dutch guys who have relayed the conversations between the pair during the World Cup make it very much appear Van Gaal very much setting him up to join, telling him to hang on at PSV for another year to develop.

Under Van Gaal's leadership could have a Robben MKII on our hands :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I don't think we will be paying €35m for Depay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

RasTa wrote: »

Would agree.
    Either way if I were Van gall I'd have Woodward on the phone doing the prelims now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Van Gaal is like a father to Depay, is he not? Because Memphis fell out with his own aul lad or something. Anyway, he'll be a United player no question.

I reckon Hernandez is gone. We'll have RVP, Rooney and Wilson. Possibility of Falcao being bought or being reloaned, and RFVP leaving/Wilson going on loan. Ideally, I would like to have Rooney, RVP and Falcao with Wilson out on loan getting much needed first team football. A good pacey team would do him wonders, maybe the likes of Crystal Palace with Bolassie/Zaha etc backing him up.

It'll be an interesting summer though. Would love to see Schniederlin come in, I think he's sensational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

RasTa wrote: »

exchange rate is in our favour at the moment though, its "only" about £25m. to hit €35m last summer, it would have cost about £3-£4m more.

its a good summer to be buying players from Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

does anybody actually expect RVP to leave if Falcao and Hernandez go?

no way all 3 are going and im pretty confident RVP is going nowhere unless Falcao is staying.

I don't see the benefit for either party in RVP leaving. Where is he going to go that he will be first choice? If he goes to one of the other big clubs he will still be second choice, if he goes to a smaller club he will be giving up any chance at success in his final years.

If he stays at United he will still get plenty of games even if behind Rooney in the pecking order, and he will still have a chance at success. From the clubs point of view they have a proven goal scorer who already knows the club and they don't have to spend money taking a risk on another 2nd choice striker.

The sensible thing for both parties is for him to stay, so hopefully they do the sensible thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

TheDoc wrote: »
    Also everything under the sun indicates Depay would cost circa £25m , that is literally a must buy. PSV are up their with Ajax in terms of churning out talent.

I'm pretty much 99.9% confident he will be a United player start of next season.

The Dutch guys who have relayed the conversations between the pair during the World Cup make it very much appear Van Gaal very much setting him up to join, telling him to hang on at PSV for another year to develop.

Under Van Gaal's leadership could have a Robben MKII on our hands :O

I don't see how £25m is a must buy for Depay. That's huge money for a young player from a small league. Depay looks good, but he's not so good that we should be paying such crazy money for him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think we will have all our business done very early this summer. Get them in, learn their roles and avoid the uncertainly that plagued our early season.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I don't see how £25m is a must buy for Depay. That's huge money for a young player from a small league. Depay looks good, but he's not so good that we should be paying such crazy money for him.

Are you serious? £25m is nothing in the market of "hot prospects". This is a unique situation where Van Gaal has had a direct impact on the players development, advised him accurately on his route for development and has all the attributes to be a star player.

Significantly higher fees have gone for the likes of Hazard, Moura and others, and Depay's season return has been significantly better then most, in a somewhat tougher league then France, Portugal etc.

25m is not a huge fee anymore. Robben went to Chelsea for just shy of 20m, and was not operating at the level Depay is for PSV. We've taken players like De Gea, Ronaldo and more for between £15-18m.

25m is simply not a big fee for a top European prospect, considering when the hottest prospects are being chased by multiple clubs, the fee will typically trickle into the 30-35m mark.

25m is the fee being touted by reliable journalists tied to PSV, I'm not thought if that was Euros or Sterling, but either way it represents a very attractable fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It only matters how Van Gaal views Depay, and given Van Gaal's track record for spotting top talent at a young age to the point he won a Champions League with a very young team, and then went to other clubs and gave household names their break into the big time.
    I don't care how much United pay, when it comes to young talent, Van Gaal has to be up there among the very best in the world in management for spotting it.
    He obviously rates Depay very highly, to take him to the world cup and play him.
    Depay repaid Van Gaal with the winning goal against Australia and got the 2nd goal against Chile.
    He appears to be the genuine article.

I don't care how much he costs. He keeps proving he is a goalscorer and it is upto Van Gaal to decide how much he wants him.
    I think he is on the most wanted list of players for LVG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think we will have all our business done very early this summer. Get them in, learn their roles and avoid the uncertainly that plagued our early season.

we all hope thats the case, after the farce of the last two summers in that respect. when you look back at last september, we played Swansea, Sunderland, Burnley and got 2 points - a good start is key to the entire season and bringing in so many players late into the season, desrupted things for sure.

ideally, all our business is done by July 5th...there really is no excuse this summer.

we all hope thats the case, after the farce of the last two summers in that respect. when you look back at last september, we played Swansea, Sunderland, Burnley and got 2 points - a good start is key to the entire season and bringing in so many players late into the season, desrupted things for sure.

ideally, all our business is done by July 5th...there really is no excuse this summer.

Was a good article on MU website, not sure if it was linked here. Brief interview with Van Gaal after the US Tour announcement, and was indicated he had initiated plans, scouting and targets for this summer, in January this year.

Granted that is not unique, but I'd imagine he would ideally like to get everyone in early to have his first full pre-season.

I also think there are some very definitive positions and players that have been scouted, and I'd imagine that big business will be done early, and anything additional will be a name to good to turn down, that becomes available.

Clyne for example looks like something that can be done quickly, and the fee appears to be between 8-12m, which should be easily achieved. Hummels will be a pretty significant fee, but I'd imagine work will be done on that probably before the season ends. PSV have indicated from manager to chairman Depay will leave, the fee appears fixed and mediocre, so that shouldn't provide any major issue.

Interestingly one of the longest sagas could be if Van Gaal wants to keep Falcao, and organizing that deal. I'd imagine they would only be interested at a permanent move around the 20m mark.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Yep, and I wouldn't be surprised if all major signings were wrapped up before July. Clyne and Depay, by all accounts, are very likely to be signed and that makes alot of sense. Hummels is also looking increasingly likely, and all three could be signed in June.

A CM would perhaps be a later acquisition unless they are being super quiet about current activities.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Yep, and I wouldn't be surprised if all major signings were wrapped up before July. Clyne and Depay, by all accounts, are very likely to be signed and that makes alot of sense. Hummels is also looking increasingly likely, and all three could be signed in June.

A CM would perhaps be a later acquisition unless they are being super quiet about current activities.

The CM thing is what intrigues me the most. Pogba is the obvious name being touted, but I'm not sure how exactly that would pan out. Also if some people have issues over paying 25m for Depay, I'd be majorly concerned about paying fees touted of 60m for a player still in development, and still drifts in and out of games. Also currently out with a serious enough injury.

Strootman would have been the obvious target, but I'd imagine he will remain at Roma and given another season to recover and monitor, unless Van Gaal trusts and believes in him so much, we sneak in and get him at a cut rate while injured.

Vidal? Was he a Moyes target? Van Gaal still interested?

Gundagon? There is going to be a Dortmund raid no doubt, is he managing his injury well, will it be a chase by multiple clubs inflating the fee for a player with serious doubts over his playing capacity?

The CM conundrum really is interesting. Also because the assumption from most is that it's the Fellaini position that needs a replacement, which is the left of the midfield three. The position where Di Maria has shown his best career form(Not in the Young position as people have commented, which is where Depay would slot into )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I think we will sign some player out of the blue this summer, some player that we haven't been linked with at all, that catches us all off guard and I cant wait for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Maybe Falcao will be signed, given how Fellaini's first season went compared with season two.
    At least Falcao is fit for the Chelsea game, the last time he played them he scored four. Be happy with one this time...

Falcao's biggest problem at the moment is lack of game time, which shouldn't be an issue next season.
    I was sure he was leaving, but now I think maybe not.

Khedira on a free would make great sense.

United have £150 million to spend again, so you would have to think there will be a signing where we all go wow.
    Maybe Pogba returns?
    Van Gaal has a wish come true and Muller signs for £45 million plus?
    Bale does leave RM?
    Florentino Perez keeps his signing (Bale) but cashes in Ronaldo (to United) for Reus and Muller.
    There are a lot of possibilities, money talks as does being in the Champions League.
    I think Bale and Ronaldo go nowhere for the record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Wouldn't be surprised if the midfield signing is underwhelming to us fans at first, Strootman wasn't signed last summer he's not going to be signed this summer, Gundogs is a little more possible maybe if he can pick up some serious form towards the end of the league season, Vidal's time was last summer I feel and I think Juve will only sell one of him and Pogba, think there will be a massive bidding war for him between City, Chelsea and probably PSG

Could be De Jong then another look at Strootman in January if Van Gaal really wants him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Getting signings in early is very possible this year.

Depay if we want him it should be straightforward enough.
    Khedeira and De Jong both out of contract if we want either.
    Hummels and Gundogan are approachable now with Klopp leaving.
    Clyne strongly linked and Schneiderlen hopefully could be got early.
    Ings is rumors are true.

Lets just hope we don;t spend the majority of the summer chasing Pogba and Varane when we could get good deals done early.

• Advertisement

The only thing I want more than some tasty summer signings is an "in-the-know" free Summer United thread.

#NeverForget2014

Wouldn't be surprised if the midfield signing is underwhelming to us fans at first

Maybe, but I think it would be a mistake for LVG to believe that everything is good enough in that area. We can definitely improve there, and will need to if we really want to push on. More than anything else Carrick is 34 and picking up plenty of niggly injuries, we need to address his position. I don't believe Blind is good enough for this, so I would rather we do something about it now before it hurts us at a bad time.

Maybe, but I think it would be a mistake for LVG to believe that everything is good enough in that area. We can definitely improve there, and will need to if we really want to push on. More than anything else Carrick is 34 and picking up plenty of niggly injuries, we need to address his position. I don't believe Blind is good enough for this, so I would rather we do something about it now before it hurts us at a bad time.

forget about the players age, you should always judge a player on performance alone and when those performances start dropping, then you worry about the age profile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The summer before last for sure was unforgivable. Last summer, although far from ideal and extremely frustrating, I would take into account the relatively late arrival of Van Gaal and his wanting to assess the squad.

No excuses this summer though. The earlier the business is done the better.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Are you serious? £25m is nothing in the market of "hot prospects". This is a unique situation where Van Gaal has had a direct impact on the players development, advised him accurately on his route for development and has all the attributes to be a star player.

Significantly higher fees have gone for the likes of Hazard, Moura and others, and Depay's season return has been significantly better then most, in a somewhat tougher league then France, Portugal etc.

25m is not a huge fee anymore. Robben went to Chelsea for just shy of 20m, and was not operating at the level Depay is for PSV. We've taken players like De Gea, Ronaldo and more for between £15-18m.

25m is simply not a big fee for a top European prospect, considering when the hottest prospects are being chased by multiple clubs, the fee will typically trickle into the 30-35m mark.

25m is the fee being touted by reliable journalists tied to PSV, I'm not thought if that was Euros or Sterling, but either way it represents a very attractable fee.

Why does Van Gaal having a direct impact on the player's development mean we should pay more? Surely if Depay likes Van Gaal so much we should be able to use that to get the fee down, not up. Since Depay can just not agree to be sold to any other club.

I think the issue here is that you are basing your understanding of where the transfer market is at on the few over priced fees that you can remember, rather than looking past those to see how much players trade for in the rest of the deals that make up the vast majority of the market. Or maybe you are under the misapprehension that younger, less proven players, should cost more because of what they might become.

Either way, you are wrong in your understanding of where transfer fees are generally at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bangkok wrote: »
    forget about the players age, you should always judge a player on performance alone and when those performances start dropping, then you worry about the age profile

I would agree but you need to plan ahead as well. His capacity to play every game is going to dwindle and I'd rather there was suitable cover rather than shoe-horn someone in there until the time comes when it's obvious we need a full-time replacement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

But you cant forget about his age when hes 34 and Buckety has already pointed out that he is starting pick up niggling injuries.

Carrick is vital to the team and there isnt a ready amde replacement at the club to step into his shoes. That needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Why does Van Gaal having a direct impact on the player's development mean we should pay more? Surely if Depay likes Van Gaal so much we should be able to use that to get the fee down, not up. Since Depay can just not agree to be sold to any other club.

I think the issue here is that you are basing your understanding of where the transfer market is at on the few over priced fees that you can remember, rather than looking past those to see how much players trade for in the rest of the deals that make up the vast majority of the market. Or maybe you are under the misapprehension that younger, less proven players, should cost more because of what they might become.

Either way, you are wrong in your understanding of where transfer fees are generally at.

So the club can turn around and tell Depay that he has a contract, honour it or go to the highest bidder. Also if he looks at the situation and say Arsenal for instance offer 25m and United won't up their bid from 20m, then he'll obviously think the former want him more.

Of course players of young age who look to be exceptional improving talents are going to cost a bit. Obviously not as much as established talents but look at what was paid for Lucas Moura, Neymar, Hazard cost 32m after 3 seasons of senior football. You can't say 20m-25m is overpaying for Depay in this climate.

yes because transfer fees are judged because a player likes a manager of another club.......

if anything it will push the price up as van gaal will really want to sign depay.

depay is one of the hottest prospects in Europe, still only 21, 14 goals last season, 25 already this season and getting better.

he was also nominated in the top 3 young players at the world cup.

20-25m is def around the right price, the only way to get it down a bit lower is to offer more money up front say 14m up front and 4-5m in instalments, depending on appearances etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don't think Van Gaal is oblivious to this, I believe 100% he wanted Vidal last summer and he's looking for that player but they are hard to come by. If we get De Jong along with Herrera and Felllaini our midfield is in a far better state than Clevs/Giggs/Ando parterning Carrick, we could challenge Chelsea with that midfield as long as we improve in defence.

Van Gaal may still surprise us and get a marquee midfield signing, we'll have to wait and see.

I don't think Van Gaal is oblivious to this, I believe 100% he wanted Vidal last summer and he's looking for that player but they are hard to come by. If we get De Jong along with Herrera and Felllaini our midfield is in a far better state than Clevs/Giggs/Ando parterning Carrick, we could challenge Chelsea with that midfield as long as we improve in defence.

Van Gaal may still surprise us and get a marquee midfield signing, we'll have to wait and see.

It's an odd one because we need to bring in a player at the base of the 3 midfielders where Carrick plays but could do with a player from one of the support positions (where Herrera and Fellaini play) too.

I'd imagine De Jong will be brought in alright for holding midfielder position.

• Advertisement

De Jong is a great signing as a free agent. Knows LvG and his system, and has Premier League experience.

So the club can turn around and tell Depay that he has a contract, honour it or go to the highest bidder. Also if he looks at the situation and say Arsenal for instance offer 25m and United won't up their bid from 20m, then he'll obviously think the former want him more.

Of course players of young age who look to be exceptional improving talents are going to cost a bit. Obviously not as much as established talents but look at what was paid for Lucas Moura, Neymar, Hazard cost 32m after 3 seasons of senior football. You can't say 20m-25m is overpaying for Depay in this climate.

You know it's not as cut and dried as the selling club just deciding to keep the player if they want. If a player wants to go to a particular club then that is a boon to the bargaining position of that buying club, not an impediment like Doc was making out.

Yes, we might not be able to buy Depay if somebody offers more. We can still choose to leave it and move on to the next target.

I think that you would say that £25m is overpaying if you were to look beyond those three signings when forming your opinion. Like I said, there are always a few over priced transfers each summer, but those few transfers do not set the prices for the entire market.

yes because transfer fees are judged because a player likes a manager of another club.......

if anything it will push the price up as van gaal will really want to sign depay.

depay is one of the hottest prospects in Europe, still only 21, 14 goals last season, 25 already this season and getting better.

he was also nominated in the top 3 young players at the world cup.

20-25m is def around the right price, the only way to get it down a bit lower is to offer more money up front say 14m up front and 4-5m in instalments, depending on appearances etc

If a player wants to go to a particular club, then that is advantageous to their bargaining position.

If Van Gaal really wants Depay then he might end up overpaying for him, yes. That does not mean that overpaying for him represents good value.

Using awards to judge player value is a sure fire way of coming up with poor valuations.

You know it's not as cut and dried as the selling club just deciding to keep the player if they want. If a player wants to go to a particular club then that is a boon to the bargaining position of that buying club, not an impediment like Doc was making out.

Yes, we might not be able to buy Depay if somebody offers more. We can still choose to leave it and move on to the next target.

I think that you would say that £25m is overpaying if you were to look beyond those three signings when forming your opinion. Like I said, there are always a few over priced transfers each summer, but those few transfers do not set the prices for the entire market.

Oh of course it is more of an advantage to the buying club but I think given the fact there will be multiple suitors for him, that it's one we probably can't take advantage of all that much.

I still don't think it is overpaying though. With the majority of transfers you're paying for potential. For 20-25m you're paying for a guy who is a regular international at 21 who has had two excellent seasons at his club.

Oh of course it is more of an advantage to the buying club but I think given the fact there will be multiple suitors for him, that it's one we probably can't take advantage of all that much.

I still don't think it is overpaying though. With the majority of transfers you're paying for potential. For 20-25m you're paying for a guy who is a regular international at 21 who has had two excellent seasons at his club.

I'm not denying what he is. But I disagree that being what he is makes £25m good value and I don't think the transfers of Hazard, Moura and Neymar reflect the general state of the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'm really loomig forward to transfer time this summer.

Up til last year all I expected / got was disappointment, last summer was the start of the turnaround, this summer (likely) back in the CL, a world renowned manager FIRMLY in charge of a team playing schexy schexy football, a whopper tv deal in place, a whopper sponsorship deal about to start, IMO we are goin to have our biggest transfer window in the clubs history.

With the Adidas deal imminent I'm genuinely expecting at least one £50 million + marquee signing.

The future is bright.

The future is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MagicIRL wrote: »
    The only thing I want more than some tasty summer signings is an "in-the-know" free Summer United thread.

#NeverForget2014

tumblr_na28tfO0tS1s93us5o1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Surely if Depay likes Van Gaal so much we should be able to use that to get the fee down, not up. Since Depay can just not agree to be sold to any other club.

I don't follow the logic here at all. How do you imagine the conversation going?

PSV: We've had bids from Man Utd and Real Madrid.
    Depay: Great. I really like Van Gaal.
    PSV: Ok. But Woodward is a miserable so and so, and offered us £5million, in 1 million installments over the course of 5 years.
    Depay: Ok, but I really like Van Gaal
    PSV: It's a little on the low side though. Real Madrid have offered us £25 million up front. So it's Real Madrid, or nothing.
    Depay: Ok, but i rrrrrrreally like Van Gaal.
    PSV: Oh really? Why didn't you say so sooner. On reflection, Ed is being more than generous here. Don't forget to say goodbye to the lads. Give our best regards to Louis, the man who bummed us with Ajax and AZ.

PSV: Ok. But Woodward is a miserable so and so, and offered us £15million,
    PSV: It's a little on the low side though. Real Madrid have offered us £25 million up front. So it's Real Madrid, or nothing.
    Depay: Ok, it nothing.
    PSV: What?
    Depay: Its nothing, I'm not going to Madrid.
    PSV: Really.
    Depay: Really. Its United or nothing
    PSV: Give us a minute will you...

Fixed your post. I really don't see what is so crazy about a club having bargaining power and using it to get a lower price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

v3ttel wrote: »
    I don't follow the logic here at all. How do you imagine the conversation going?

PSV: Ok. But Woodward is a miserable so and so, and offered us £5million, in 1 million installments over the course of 5 years.
    PSV: Oh really? Why didn't you say so sooner. On reflection, Ed is being more than generous here. Don't forget to say goodbye to the lads. Give our best regards to Louis, the man who bummed us with Ajax and AZ.

Is this a genuine failure to grasp how a player wanting to join a particular club is beneficial to that club in negotiations or is it just meant to be hilarious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So it seems like LVG has already been working on who he wants in at at the club since the last window closed.That's good news,get the players in early and have them on tour with us followed by a proper pre-season.None of this nonsense of scrambling around with time running out.

No, I obviously don't imagine that United would make a bid of £5m and I don't imagine that such a bid would be successful. Why would you ask me such stupid question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Man United: We bid 100million for Bale.
    Madrid: We bid 80million for Bale.
    Bale: I'm only going to sign for Madrid. Only Madrid. Not United. Only Madrid.

Bale signed for Madrid.

If a player wants to go to a particular club, then that is advantageous to their bargaining position.

If Van Gaal really wants Depay then he might end up overpaying for him, yes. That does not mean that overpaying for him represents good value.

Using awards to judge player value is a sure fire way of coming up with poor valuations.

no but we are man utd and like most big clubs real Madrid, Barcelona etc they end up paying more than they should for a player as the selling club knows they have the money.

For example, you are the PSV chairman, Ed Woodward calls asking about Depay, straight away you are thinking £££

if United pay 20-25m for Depay and we end up winning the league and champions league next season and he has a good season, everyone will be saying it was a bargain and his price tag will have doubled in just 1 season.

Man United: We bid 100million for Bale.
    Madrid: We bid 80million for Bale.
    Bale: I'm only going to sign for Madrid. Only Madrid. Not United. Only Madrid.

Bale signed for Madrid.

actually signed for 85m and also spurs had spent 100m on players before they sold bale so as far as levy was concerned he was getting his money back.

Madrid also bid for Bale at the start of summer, we came in last minute but at that stage bale had his heart set on Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

actually signed for 85m and also spurs had spent 100m on players before they sold bale so as far as levy was concerned he was getting his money back.

Madrid also bid for Bale at the start of summer, we came in last minute but at that stage bale had his heart set on Madrid

tumblr_mgjirgkJMA1rxayxlo1_400.gif

no but we are man utd and like most big clubs real Madrid, Barcelona etc they end up paying more than they should for a player as the selling club knows they have the money.

For example, you are the PSV chairman, Ed Woodward calls asking about Depay, straight away you are thinking £££

That is a completely different argument. I didn't respond to somebody who said "we'll probably spend £25m on Depay, because we're one of those big clubs who usually pay more than they should for players", I responded to somebody said that £25m is a must buy price for Depay.
    if United pay 20-25m for Depay and we end up winning the league and champions league next season and he has a good season, everyone will be saying it was a bargain and his price tag will have doubled in just 1 season.

And if Depey fails to impress then "everyone" will be saying that at £25m he was a poor transfer. In both hypothetical situations the people saying these things will not be the brightest, because they will be basing their opinions on the transfer purely on how it worked out, rather than on what was known at the time it was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Some real sh1te being spouted in here, of course Depay wanting a move to United is beneficial to our negotiation leverage.

Anyone saying otherwise couldn't be more wrong

That is a completely different argument. I didn't respond to somebody who said "we'll probably spend £25m on Depay, because we're one of those big clubs who usually pay more than they should for players", I responded to somebody said that £25m is a must buy price for Depay.

And if Depey fails to impress then "everyone" will be saying that at £25m he was a poor transfer. In both hypothetical situations the people saying these things will not be the brightest, because they will be basing their opinions on the transfer purely on how it worked out, rather than on what was known at the time it was done.

well as we sit here now, i haven't seen him play more than 5 full games, but i presume most scouts around Europe have scouted him plenty of times and if they think he was worth 20m then who are we to argue.

• Advertisement

Which is a load of old tosh in my opinion.

If we have a competent negotiator then it really is a very minor issue that we have money, this idea that we have to overpay because we are rich is lazy thinking. What, do we pay an extra 5% on transfer for every 100 million we make each year?

We have a lot of bargaining power, we pay big wages and we offer the chance to play for success at one of the worlds biggest clubs. We do not have to glibly accept whatever price the selling club decides, and that selling price is not based on how much money we have, its based on the relative value of the player.

If selling clubs are getting away with adding a premium to prices because we are a rich club then our negotiators are incompetent. And I don't believe that Ed Woodward is an incompetent negotiator, his business deals would attest to that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement