Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Are you counting penalties in that?

Caovyn, I think you might be mixing your own experiences of not playing pro football and your knowledge of the game with the rest of the people on here.

Do penalties not count as goals anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'm cringing every time he posts at this stage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I'm cringing every time he posts at this stage

A wonderful input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'm fairly sure(without checking) that Gerrard has more goals than both from a deeper position, would you have him ahead of Herrera?
    Herrera -20 EPL games -5 goals -4 assists
    Gerrard -24 EPL games -6 goals -1 assist.
    Gerrard has one goal from play(4 penalties/1 free kick)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Do penalties not count as goals anymore?

Did Gerrard score them because he was playing deeper or because he has those duties? Penalties arent really a valid metric in this discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Sorry if posted already lads (i haven't got a chance to read back) but James Ducker (The Times) said we are "preparing to make a bid in excess of £25 million for Mats Hummels"

From what I remember very reliable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

irishfeen wrote: »
    Sorry if posted already lads (i haven't got a chance to read back) but James Ducker (The Times) said we are "preparing to make a bid in excess of £25 million for Mats Hummels"

For your own sanity, don't

It's like saying that you're a better actor than De Niro or Pacino because you watch 20 movies a week.

Here's a scenario for you.

I think Messi is the best player in the world.

Danny Ings thinks it's Ronaldo ---> I'm wrong so.

Mata thinks Messi is the best player in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Regarding the price of top level young players what are you thinking is value? Assuming no issue within the selling club and the player being widely recognised as a talent?

25M seems fair enough for Depay to me btw when the profile of the player will affect the price.

Mid-teens up to £20m would be what I'd think of as good value for him. £25m I'd call meh value, you're pretty much just paying full whack at that stage. I don't understand why anybody would try to portray that price as some sort of bargain.

To be clear, I do rate Depay. I think he's a very good young player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

For your own sanity, don't
    I'm a fool to myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Central midfield. How is that even in doubt?

But he is an attacking central midfielder, this is in no doubt either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Is there a more pointless term in football than "Preparing a bid"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Here's a scenario for you.

I think Messi is the best player in the world.

Danny Ings thinks it's Ronaldo ---> I'm wrong so.

Mata thinks Messi is the best player in the world.

Roy hodgson didn't even think ronaldo or messi were in the top 3 players in d world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Countdown to the phrase "callow youth", "sacred cow", use of the word "calamity" and / or a mention of Luke Chadwick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mars Bar wrote: »
    A David Mitchell gif?! You're now my new favourite poster!

tumblr_m2j2fqWWPm1qbvqp6.gif

Pro. F wrote: »
    Mid-teens up to £20m would be what I'd think of as good value for him. £25m I'd call meh value, you're pretty much just paying full whack at that stage. I don't understand why anybody would try to portray that price as some sort of bargain.

If you're talking pounds maybe, it's around his value in a take it or leave it sense generally. One thing that would up his value, from a utd perspective is LVG might see him as being a more ready made player for his system.
    At any rate if you are saying there are better deals out there is that just a general idea or do you have someone in mind. I don't think that after the fact valuations are very indicative of younger players when it is perceived potential you are buying.

ITK?

irishfeen wrote: »

Ah, back to the stage of preparing bids! :pac:

Ok Bid, we're going to be lodging you in a few days so take this time to gather yourself and your things. Jeeves will see to any of your requirements while you relax in our preparation chamber. When you are prepared just ring the bell on the wall and we'll be along momentarily to collect you. Good luck with the preparations, and Godspeed, Bid.

Pro. F wrote: »

£20m is 27m Euro in todays rate.. I really do think that that would be accepted with it being well known that they are going to let him leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

'Street' footballer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Predictions for the window?

I'm going with Clyne, Depay, Hummels, Ings , De Jong and one top class signing like a Pogba, Bale.

About 8 players to leave but I hope we keep on to Nani, Rafael and Evans.

I wasnt really around for the street football debate but I thought it was very arrogant from a lot of people who wouldn't accept it as a term. Does it not conjure an idea in the head? It isn't pulled of stone if people all know the term and there was a major game around the concept. Generally quick, good feet, some unorthodox skills, usually attacker/attackminded for their position who goes searching for the ball, sometimes doesnt seem as tactical.

It's more that the seem to have a play style that is less structured and a bit more hectic, class does come into it somewhat as it is a more urban thing but I would consider that secondary to the description in the same way that most politicians would be middle/upper class doesnt mean that they all are.

CR 7 wrote: »
    'Street' footballer?

Unplayable.

stankratz wrote: »
    Ah, back to the stage of preparing bids! :pac:

Ok Bid, we're going to be lodging you in a few days so take this time to gather yourself and your things. Jeeves will see to any of your requirements while you relax in our preparation chamber. When you are prepared just ring the bell on the wall and we'll be along momentarily to collect you. Good luck with the preparations, and Godspeed, Bid.

Maybe it's writing up the paperwork or working out the valuation you apply to the player. If sabermetrics is involved like I imagine it is with pool then it could take a while. They dont just ring up and be like, "40M for Johnny?" do they?

Unplayable.

I hate that one, doesnt make sense :confused:

I hate that one, doesnt make sense :confused:

I think it means injured. Or denied a work permit or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I think Hummels and Depay are shoe ins.

Pogba I think will head off to the hills of Madrid.

With Pogba going to Real I see either CR7 or Bale leaving with Chelsea I think a viable option for Bale followed by us. If CR7 leaves Id be surprised to see him go anywhere but us.

Ings I think is likely as he will cost feck all and would be a good utility player.

I really dislike Dani Alves but I do think LVG fancies him a bit so he is a very real possibility for one last biggish pay day.

Gundogan will prolly leave Dortmund but Id fancy him to go to Arsenal for some reason.

So, my picks are

Depay
    Hummels
    Ings
    Dani Alves

Wild card / dream signing - CR7

Bayern's whole medical team have resigned after being blamed for their defeat to Porto last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

"X says hello"

Don't know if it's a football thing but it's used in here a lot and annoys the crap out of me.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's writing up the paperwork or working out the valuation you apply to the player. If sabermetrics is involved like I imagine it is with pool then it could take a while. They dont just ring up and be like, "40M for Johnny?" do they?

Maybe it's just a B.S. term used by the media to hook in fans hungry for transfer news. I guess it's one stage below "We understand a bid is imminent" on the bid reporting scale. How many of these 'bid being prepared' stories turn into an official 'bid rejected/accepted' report? There's going to be a lot of stories about bids being prepared in the run up to this Summer, fúck all of a percentage of them will actually come to anything though.

I'm not doubting that there's much more involved than a quick phone-call and an exchange of financial details made when making a transfer, but these people reporting about bids being prepared are just biding time in the hope of something more solid coming along to report on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Bayern's whole medical team have resigned after being blamed for their defeat to Porto last night...

Be nice if they went into meltdown and Louis lures Muller to the calm waters of United.

If you're talking pounds maybe, it's around his value in a take it or leave it sense generally. One thing that would up his value, from a utd perspective is LVG might see him as being a more ready made player for his system.

At any rate if you are saying there are better deals out there is that just a general idea or do you have someone in mind. I don't think that after the fact valuations are very indicative of younger players when it is perceived potential you are buying.
    Your first sentence sounds like you agree with my valuation. I thought it was a fairly uncontroversial stance I'd taken on the subject myself. I still don't get how it has met with so much disagreement.

Nobody knows exactly what deals are available until they actually go and bid on each player, so yes I am talking from my general understanding of the market. But I'm not saying that we need to pluck somebody from obscurity to get better value, if that's what you're getting at. There are enough good players playing in the top seven leagues in Europe to make me think that £25m for Depay is not some special bargain.

Now, maybe LVG needs some very particular type of player to fit his system and Depay is one of the very few who meet those requirements. Cool. We're probably going to end up overpaying a bit then.

That's nuts! I was thinking they hadn't had a meltdown in too long. FC Hollywood are always good for drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

3 defensive errors for the 3 Porto goals

Pep picks the team if they weren't fit he shouldn't have picked them, his antics on the line sarcastically clapping the medical team was a bit classless

I know it's not United related, but since it's been mentioned a couple of times in the thread - In relation to the Bayern medical staff resigning, here is Pep's reaction to Benatia's injury last week:

https://vine.co/v/ezhLtxI7hnm

Looks like a heated working environment, Pep definitely has his moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Wow, that's incredibly unprofessional by Pep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Jesus! Imagine if Pep had have been at United for the start of this season? Water bottles would've been the last thing to be kicked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I'd have punched him.

I'd have punched him.

The Doctor or Pep :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

stankratz wrote: »
    I know it's not United related, but since it's been mentioned a couple of times in the thread - In relation to the Bayern medical staff resigning, here is Pep's reaction to Benatia's injury last week:

https://vine.co/v/ezhLtxI7hnm

Looks like a heated working environment, Pep definitely has his moments.

What an absolute cock.

He is altogether too big for his boots.

He walked into the best team in the world at the time, with arguably the greatest of all time playing for them and the best midfield / attacking force ever assembled at a club level.

Then he walked into the best team in Germany.

Not exactly hard to be successful when the odds are stacked in your favour like that.

No call whatsoever to disrespect the staff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

astradave wrote: »
    The Doctor or Pep :P

Pep, that's a level of arseholery that you could excuse them if they reacted to it.

Jesus christ, imagine would he have done to ours at the start of the season :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lot of Bayern fans on reddit saying they want Pep gone because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Use to love watching Bayern under Heynckes. Now I find it hard to watch. Its the main reason why I dont want Pep at utd.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Lot of Bayern fans on reddit saying they want Pep gone because of this.

The doctor had been there 38 years.. he was part of the institution.. he would hold more weight with the ultras too. Pep could be in for a hard time, the next few games.

Headshot wrote: »
    Use to love watching Bayern under Heynckes. Now I find it hard to watch. Its the main reason why I dont want Pep at utd.

imo they were a better team under Hetnckes.Pep has added nothing really to them.

astradave wrote: »
    The doctor had been there 38 years.. he was part of the institution.. he would hold more weight with the ultras too. Pep could be in for a hard time, the next few games.
    He left before when Klinsmann was in charge and came back so wouldnt be surprised to see him back if there is a change in management.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Bayern have been crap to watch since he took over. Its like Mourinho, both are winners but their football style is so negative that its not fun to watch.

It was the main reason I wouldn't have been thrilled to have him at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Our number one transfer in the summer should be Bayern's ex-medical staff.

Help get the injury level go from DEFCON 1 to DEFCON 2.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement