Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Falcoa has don't sweet feck all. Couldn't give a flying feck if he came on, it's not like we were creating chances left right and centre.

Think Mata would have been a better sub myself and if Adnan didn't dive he could have layed on a goal or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Daley blind should be no where near starting 11 now carrick is back... Terrible tonight, slow sloppy passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

secman wrote: »
    You forgot to show Adnan , Jones, Fellani and Valencia the door....

Smalling and Young aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Liam O wrote: »
    I'd certainly play Mata where Young was tonight. Rafael was on the bench tonight wasn't he? Why isn't he where Valencia is playing? Needing a goal late on and bringing on Januzaj when one of the best strikers in the world is on the bench is ridiculous.

Mata tracking pacey players wouldn't really be something you would be happy to see though if it happened. Particularly not from the left back position as Young finished the game in.

kryogen wrote: »
    You do realise that at this point, you literally criticise every single decision right?

There is no creativity to it at all anymore.

Falcao is playing, and playing ****e, why is he on the field when Mata is on the bench!!!!

Falcao doesnt come on, WHY DOESNT FALCAO GET PICKED!!!!

Its very predictable though.

I never criticised falcao ever... I criticise our manager making terrible decisions and playing **** formations. If falcao played with arsenal Liverpool or Chelsea he would be in double figures now, van gaal is about as inspirational as a potatoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

The worst thing about losing this match....I can already hear the quiet murmuring of Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

zerks wrote: »
    Let them win it again,it'll give the cleaners a chance to clear the dust off another shelf in their trophy cabinet.

If it means a top four spot for us than yes. Look I am just as disappointed, but idiocy helped arsenal tonight and hopefully it's the kick van gaal needs.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Leave Van Gaal for now, get rid of Jones and Smalling. They're just not up to the job and never will be. A commanding centre half that will f*8k the heads off those around him when they deserve it. Di Maria's head is all over the shop, whether it's unhappiness on the field or unhappiness in Manchester in general I don't know but the gossip from yesterdays papers (Utd prepared to let him leave in summer) look more believable after each game.

Tie De gea down long term, he could go on to be a better keeper than Schmeichel was for us.

Just my opinion, and I have said it before here, but I actual rate Jones. I think he gets unfair criticism and a player of his experience at only 23 is vital. He does make mistakes but I have always seen him as being capable of being a long term fixture in our team. Always gives 100 percent and shows passion on the field.

Smalling I am still unsure about. Some days he plays brilliantly, other quite the opposite.

No point getting rid of two young players with that much experience when we are lacking at the back already.

Finally I think our defence gets too much of the blame. De Gea has been immense and is the reason we have as much points as we do but it really is the attacking part that is costing us in my view.

We were so used to just outscoring oppositions when our defence was shaky so no one criticised it as much, now we are truly lacking a cutting edge. If we were banging in goals easy things would be hunky dory. Hopefully one or two players just hit a scoring form and we can get on a roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Ha I am not blaming LVG or calling for his sacking, the opposite, I feel he should be given time I'm sorry if my post didnt make that clear.

I don't agree with all of his selections but without doubt he should be given time and any talk of him being sacked is silly in my view as changing the manager won't bring us back to where we were overnight. It will take time but I do believe he is the man for the job.

I was agreeing with you,we were 15 points of 4th this time last season,didn't win the cup either.
    I can imagine the Dutch hairdryer was out in the dressing room,Januzaj going down is still pissing me off.Ronaldo was slated for diving when he was young at United but he was getting kicked from one end of the pitch to another,breathe on Januzaj and he's going down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Blue giant wrote: »
    The worst thing about losing this match....I can already hear the quiet murmuring of Liverpool fans.

Was hoping they got Arsenal in the draw but hey who knows maybe Blackburn will turn them over at Ewood Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Only Rooney, De Gea, Fellaini and Young really acquitted themselves tonight. Unfortunately Young and Fellaini aren't really good enough.

Herrera ran around a lot but I didn't see him play a decisive ball or get in a decent attacking position, I don't get the love people have for him.

Di Maria looked good first half, but faded along with the rest of the team 2nd half and that tug at the referee was just ludicrous - WTF was he thinking. Danny Murphy on the BBC suggested the ref should have let it go, but there's no way he shouldn't have walked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Who should we get the next year? I vote Pep. But then I'm not sure who to line up for 2017/18.
    Nobody wants a revolving door of managers. But thats also not a good enough reason to blindly stick with a manager who is doing a crap job.
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Don't really understand why people are giving LVG such a doing and calling for his head - he has a big job to rebuild this team and he's not even halfway in doing that IMO.

Its such a fallacy that this team needs a complete rebuild, we still have a better squad than all but a select few clubs. Clearly we have been performing woefully but you cannot tell me that we don't have the raw materials already there to do a lot better than we have.

There aren't many calling for LVG's head, but if he is getting criticism it is because after 10 months in charge the team is not performing to its ability, the players have not improved individually, and there is little sign of any improvement on the field of play. Add in a raft of baffling managerial decisions and you simply cannot be surprised that people are wondering what the manager is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Valencia's continuing presence at Old Trafford is a ****ing mystery. He's up there in the hall of fame with the likes of Kleberson, the Djemba twins and David Bellion.

Blue giant wrote: »

Gerard's last game,he slips,Welbeck races through and scores the winner.Spiteful maybe but with us out,it'd be glorious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

bangkok wrote: »
    I never criticised falcao ever... I criticise our manager making terrible decisions and playing **** formations. If falcao played with arsenal Liverpool or Chelsea he would be in double figures now, van gaal is about as inspirational as a potatoe

A potatoe was pretty inspiring during the famine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Wait for it... LVG said Valencia was United's best player.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭twinex

Blind (tired) and Carrick (old) do not make an exciting or dynamic midfield pair and it seems if Herrera doesn't clear off the line or score a match winner, his number is up.
    ....and poor Mata :(.....

Adamocovic wrote: »
    We were so used to just outscoring oppositions when our defence was shaky so no one criticised it as much

We were never shaky defensively, even in our attacking days we were always one of the lowest conceding teams in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

dubmick wrote: »
    Wait for it... LVG said Valencia was United's best player.

Great sense of humour Van Gaal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Poor from Valencia for both goals but thought he had a decent game besides. He did a good job at containing Sanchez.

Di Maria can have no complaints- it was silly grabbing the refs jersey. Someone made the point already though that Sanchez went down very easy in a similar situation and got his free...maybe his fall to the ground technique was better!

Thought United played well tonight in the first half in particular. The changes at half time had a bad effect on the play of the team but the backpass from Valencia just ballsed it up for us. It's a real shame we've gone out with the effort the players put in but that's football I suppose- it's the small margins that can f things up.

P.s I think Van Gaal will win the league with United in his third season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I know you shouldn't pay too much attention to post match interviews but I'm finding Van Gaals comment that Valencia had been Utds best player both irritating, baffling and a little worrying.

Herrera was not playing great and Giggs was down shouting at him a few times so he obviously wasn't doing what he was being asked tactically either. He was running around but he was not having much of an effect on the game and I say that as a big fan, I hope he starts every game.

Shaw was poor, but has been out with a hamstring injury and if he even felt a tweak of that he was going to come off as he can't risk re injuring himself again.

When we were down to ten men we needed someone to create chances, we had the finisher on the pitch in Rooney, bringing on Falcao in that situation is a total waste of a substitution tbh, Jan was brought on to stretch the defence, something Mata does not do either. Being critical is one thing, but moaning about everything is a bit much. There was logic to the Januzaj switch and the other two were not unbelievable either.

We were never shaky defensively, even in our attacking days we were always one of the lowest conceding teams in the league.

Schmeichel, Bruce and Pallister
    Van Der Sar, Rio and Vidic

They had an awful lot to do with that

You see the difference De Gea makes, but we do not have that solid defensive partnership at centre half yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Oliver had a decent game, but he was very inconsistent.

Just remembered he sent smalling off against city very early (no complaints about that) but bellerin somehow commits two offences and stays on.

Herrera was not playing great and Giggs was down shouting at him a few times so he obviously wasn't doing what he was being asked tactically either. He was running around but he was not having much of an effect on the game and I say that as a big fan, I hope he starts every game.

Shaw was poor, but has been out with a hamstring injury and if he even felt a tweak of that he was going to come off as he can't risk re injuring himself again.

When we were down to ten men we needed someone to create chances, we had the finisher on the pitch in Rooney, bringing on Falcao in that situation is a total waste of a substitution tbh, Jan was brought on to stretch the defence, something Mata does not do either. Being critical is one thing, but moaning about everything is a bit much. There was logic to the Januzaj switch and the other two were not unbelievable either.

Said that about Herrera a half time. Looks like lvg needs his players to obey him and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

bangkok wrote: »
    You can't possibly know that, and there has been little evidence to suggest so over the last two years. Thought he should have been brought on tonight however.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I would hate to think where we would be without DeGea.

K4t wrote: »
    You can't possibly know that, and there has been little evidence to suggest so over the last two years. Thought he should have been brought on tonight however.

To do what? For whom? Where would he play? What would his role be? Who would supply him? Where on the pitch do you sarcrifice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I would hate to think where we would be without DeGea.

Some of his saves defy belief when you're watching them in real time.

Schmeichel, Bruce and Pallister
    Van Der Sar, Rio and Vidic

They had an awful lot to do with that

You see the difference De Gea makes, but we do not have that solid defensive partnership at centre half yet.

I know that, I was responding to the claim that we once covered up a shaky defensive by scoring goals, and now that the goals have stopped the shaky defense is more apparent. It's not true, historically we have always been solid defensively, in no small part due to the qualities of the players you mention.

Gotta agree,I like Herrera but he was off the pace tonight,Blind & Carrick are to similar.A knackered Blind tried to do the running in the 2nd half but couldn't.A top class beast of a midfielder needs to be signed as soon as the Summer window opens,Carrick will be 34 soon and there's rumours of him leaving so it'll be Blind in his role.We had nobody running past the forward line again bar Di Maria,it's too easy to defend against,Arsenal just needed to win 2nd balls off Fellaini and made easy work of it.One man with pace is terrified to run by anyone and the other can't stay on his feet.
    Even Mertesacker looked comfortable,not once was he targeted by anyone running at him,we know there's cruise ships that turn quicker but we just played to his strengths.Knock balls up and have no runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

You know Fellaini was very good when Bangok is not abusing him after a game.

To me Blind i just can't understand how he gets such a free ride. He is so slow on the ball and so slow with passing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    We lost to such a poor Arsenal team, Valencia is surely man of the match. Played a winning hand for Arsenal.

Blind was so poor all game so was Young but Van Gaal subbed off Herrera who was having very good game. Again poor subs made us weaker.

Smalling played his worst game since City game and hopefully we will be seeing Rafael starting from next game. If after this game Valencia don't get dropped then I hope Rafael just pack his bags and go on holiday. No point in sitting on the bench.
    Poor arsenal team ?? I thought they were very good and played some lovely one touch passes that we seem a million miles from being able to play.

To do what? For whom? Where would he play? What would his role be? Who would supply him? Where on the pitch do you sarcrifice?
    Score. Fellani. Striker. To score. Rooney. Fellani who was winning hardly any of the long balls played into him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

We had a lot times in the last decade where we have been shaky defensively. During the Van der Sar period he was a big reason we didnt concede many goals. Conceding less goals doesn't necessarily mean we were not shaky.

Would you say our defence this year has been shaky? Even though we have only conceded more goals than Southampton and Chelsea?

My point is in previous years when we made a mistake and let in a goal the attackers always stepped it up and scored. Most games if it was a draw going into the last ten minutes I fancied us to win it, now I am hoping we can hold on.

Just either the confidence or it hasn't clicked yet, but either way hopefully we hit a good spell and can secure a top 4.

He was very bad tonight alright.

Score. Fellani. Striker. To score. Rooney. Fellani who was winning hardly any of the long balls played into him.

Fellaini won plenty of the balls, Carrick or Blind were not running off him though to get the second balls, neither had the legs.

Januzaj: yellow cards for diving (5) ahead of his career tally for goals (4).

Nani scored the winner tonight for Sporting,did we send the wrong winger on loan?

Nuts102 wrote: »

You think Felliani was very good tonight?

On a separate note, he was very lucky not to be booked twice for persistent fouling.

• Advertisement

mewe wrote: »
    Some of his saves defy belief when you're watching them in real time.
    That second one that was missed in real time was very similar to one he made against Real at the Barnabeu a few seasons ago. It was obvious then he was going to become the best keeper in the world. As good as Neuer for me. There's nothing Neuer does better than him, except play for a far, far better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

We were always at least one top CB short this season to challenge for top four I thought.

LVG:

"I've said in the dressing room we gave the game away by ourselves and that is the biggest disappointment," the Dutchman explained.

"In the second half, we had the first chance also then we gave it away again.

"We don't lose from the opponent, we lost from ourselves and it was very disappointing.

"You play this match to win; to beat the opponent, we wanted to be in the semi-final."

You think Felliani was very good tonight?

On a separate note, he was very lucky not to be booked twice for persistent fouling.

Fellaini had a good game yeah, over eager toward the end of the game with his challenges but that is to be expected with someone like him. He is a fighter, your separate note reminded me, Arsenal were very lucky not to be down to 10 themselves with Bellerin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

zerks wrote: »
    Januzaj: yellow cards for diving (5) ahead of his career tally for goals (4).

Nani scored the winner tonight for Sporting,did we send the wrong winger on loan?

That was obvious from the moment the move happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If we finished 5th and Ancelotti became available it would be very tempting for me

the way we attack is my main problem and it's something I think should be improving by now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Fellaini won plenty of the balls, Carrick or Blind were not running off him though to get the second balls, neither had the legs.

I'd say he lost more than he won, he is terrible in the air, list his first four or five headers ( against coqolin !). Ball into him basically has to be 100 per cent accurate on his chest for him to be effective. Should never be starting for united. Utterly depressing to see us lump balls up to him in the last 10 minutes. Nothing came from any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Just because Giggs was seen on camera shouting 'Ander' does not in any way signal that Herrara wasnt doing his job FFS.

Nuts102 wrote: »

To me Blind i just can't understand how he gets such a free ride. He is so slow on the ball and so slow with passing.

Very good? Are you serious? He was rubbish, how many fouls did he commit before he finally got booked, played up front for most of the 2nd half and did nothing. Falcao must be feeling sick looking at him up front, even mata must be thinking WTF

Fellaini was being Fellaini all night and being an annoying man. So no.

But where does Rooney go and how do you address the gaping hole on the right hand side?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement