Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Such cowardly effective tactics to use at home by Mourinho, so glad he didn't get the Man utd job. It would sicken me to be honest.
    Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Disappointed with the result but not with the performance. From the min 1 we controlled the game and Chelsea defended brilliantly. Had few openings which we failed to convert. I like how our team is shaping up, to play like that away from home against soon to be champions is great. Falcao should have got free kick for their goal but apart from that can't complain much. Typical Jose performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

No shame in losing to them.

Depay scored a cracking free kick this evening. Sign him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Well the deck was stacked against us today, losing Carrick and Blind before the game really cost us. Can't be too disappointed with the way we played. Shaw looked surprisingly sharp, probably our most positive player going forward. Didn't think we needed to take off Mata to be honest. Adnan is woeful. Sell him, forget about loaning him. To be honest Falcao didn't do much wrong, much like Rooney in the past few games he didn't get many chances, it's a pity it hasn't worked out for him.

By the way, can someone please teach Tony how to take a throw in?

Still need to kick on, this won't derail our confidence at all. Apart from the goal, Chelsea were bossed out of possession and limited in chances.

Chin up lads

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Very happy with the performance from United today. Mourinho did what I would have expected and no complaints at all about it. Got them the win.

Thought Falcao did well and would have loved to see that ball rattle the other side of the bar.

Onwards and upwards. We forced the champions elect to play defensively at home and could have easily got something on a different day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Chelsea got their tactics right (had we have Carrick and Blind could have been different), but I would hate to watch that Chelsea team performance week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

In one way you have to respect Chelsea... every trick in the book, park the bus and come away with the win.

Huge performance from United, I thought we did very well - had we Carrick, Blind, Jones I think we would have won. Our squad weaknesses are blindingly obvious though - without a few key players we struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Played very well I thought. Injuries cost us big time. That goal wouldn't have been scored with Carrick in the team and most probably not with Blind either.

Herrera for all his strengths is not suited to that roll, not disciplined enough.

Shaw had his best game in a Utd shirt and Valencia I have to say was very impressive to, as was McNair.

I honestly hope that's the last we see of Falcao in a Utd shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Shaw was excellent, he must be one of the quickest players in the league.

Herrera was disappointing.

Rooney, poor. But he's a not a midfielder.

Mata was kept quiet. That can be forgiven though given his heroics over recent weeks.

Falcao had two chances. Made a balls of one and some great defending stopped the other.

McNair was decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I thought Shaw looked great, he has much more pace than I realised and can beat a man. It's a shame he didn't seem to be quite able to offer that final ball. McNair also can be proud of himself, that's a pretty big game to come into having not played in ages and he looked solid. I always like a CB who's not afraid to run with the ball too.

Januzaj I don't like as a player. He makes terrible decisions far too often. I think he's got a bit of a case of the Cleverleys - looked promising at first but has failed to back it up.

Falcao, what can I say. He literally offered nothing. Second to every ball, couldn't get anything in the air, turned over possession at every opportunity. Whatever he had, it looks like it has fled.

On the whole, it seems a shame to lose that match. Chelsea are so gutless and United had so much of the ball, but just completely failed to create chances. I'm quite disappointed. Which, as I suppose, as TSC said isn't necessarily a bad thing - A month or two ago being bitterly disappointed by a 1-0 defeat at the bridge was pretty far from my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Meh!

I thought Utd were quite good, and deserved a draw from the game. That performance was definitely not a cause for concern and I would expect us to still finish comfortably in the top 4.

If the progress continues into next season, along with a few key additions I think we could make a really good push for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Headshot wrote: »
    I dont really care about the loss, I was more interested in how we played. We were great. The much better team. The days of old we were the ones that had to change how we played against the big teams but now they are ****ting themselves and have to adjust to playing against us.

Lots of possession with little end product. Not sure how you think you played great, Chelsea let you have the ball and United didn't have a lot to offer in the final third. It was a decent performance but great is a stretch. There could have been no arguments if that ended in a draw as a Chelsea fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

I though di maria really stretched the play when brought on... But brought on far too late to be effective.

I thought Di Maria did ok when he came on. Shame he didn't still have Shaw to link up with. Gave the ball away cheaply a couple of times but still managed a couple of killer through balls and a great cross.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    McNair was brilliant today and so was Shaw.

McNair and Shaw were very impressive, not fear from McNair in possession. United will be a force next season with a couple of additions, no doubt about that.

Johner wrote: »
    Lots of possession with little end product. Not sure how you think you played great, Chelsea let you have the ball and United didn't have a lot to offer in the final third. It was a decent performance but great is a stretch. There could have been no arguments if that ended in a draw as a Chelsea fan.

Ah would you stop, Chelsea had feck all choice in the matter. They spent the first 20 minutes making arses of themselves trying to get a hold of it and then gave up when they realised they couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I'd give up on football if i had to watch united play like chelsea today.

I felt slightly embarrassed for Chelsea at the end, staggering their subs in injury time, sending the to be subbed players to the other side of the pitch before coming off. Fabregas stopping to shake hands with all his team mates. Means to an end I suppose but a little bit cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Toobz wrote: »
    I though di maria really stretched the play when brought on... But brought on far too late to be effective.

I'm not sure I can agree with you on Di Maria. I thought he was quite average and still looks a shadow of his former self. I have faith he will come good but he still looks very short of the confidence that a player like him needs to perform.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

adox wrote: »
    I felt slightly embarrassed for Chelsea at the end, staggering their subs in injury time, sending the to be subbed players to the other side of the pitch before coming off. Fabregas stopping to shake hands with all his team mates. Means to an end I suppose but a little bit cringe.

I suppose no Chelsea fans are going to be complaining when they win the league with a few games to go :/

Ah would you stop, Chelsea had feck all choice in the matter. They spent the first 20 minutes making arses of themselves trying to get a hold of it and then gave up when they realised they couldn't.

That was the game plan though, Chelsea were set up to defend and counter and it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'd give up on football if i had to watch united play like chelsea today.

Amen to that

Thank god the utd board knew better than most fans like myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Valencia is infuriating to watch. Always passing backwards or hitting the defender. Useless going forward.

Januzaj is in dire need of a good loan.

McNair is a beast. Shaw was very good as well.

Blackett was rusty which is to be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Shaw and McNair were brilliant today can't fault them at all.

Really missed carrick or blind in the middle

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I suppose no Chelsea fans are going to be complaining when they win the league with a few games to go :/

Ah yeah I know and I thought twice about posting it as you get caught up in the emotion of a game but, I'm only slightly disappointed today, happy enough with Utds performance,still think it was a bit cringe but as I said, a means to an end.

Johner wrote: »
    That was the game plan though, Chelsea were set up to defend and counter and it worked.

There was a pretty clear change in the gameplan after about 20-25 minutes imo. It looked like Mourinho sent them out to try and dominate the game and prove a point, and then they reverted to form when it wasn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I think we can be all grateful that Mourinho never got the United job - he wins stuff ya but fcuking hell its just terrible to watch... Pat Spillane's "Puke Football" stares glaringly at me..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Headshot wrote: »
    Amen to that

Thank god the utd board knew better than most fans like myself

Yeah, I'm really glad we turned him down for Moyes.

Wait...

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Very harsh on Adnan here today, Cleverley comparisons are over the top.

Good performance in general, Shaw was great and McNair did well, could be a decent option in front of the defence.

Hopefully we'll have a few players back for Everton next week as I never want to see Rooney in midfield again.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Valencia is infuriating to watch. Always passing backwards or hitting the defender. Useless going forward

Thought he had one of his best games of the season myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm really glad we turned him down for Moyes.

Wait...

:P

All worked out in the end thou :)

There was a pretty clear change in the gameplan after about 20-25 minutes imo. It looked like Mourinho sent them out to try and dominate the game and prove a point, and then they reverted to form when it wasn't working.

He wouldn't have started Zouma and Matic if that was the case. I didn't agree with the tactics as with the 4 players United had out I thought we should have went for it but boring or not the tactics Mourinho used worked today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

beno619 wrote: »
    Very harsh on Adnan here today, Cleverley comparisons are over the top.

Really? Every decision Adnan made today was wrong. He has shown nothing...zip...zero...nada to suggest that there's something there we should be excited about. How long is it now since he scored against Sunderland ? And what has he done since? Touch of the Macheda's about him.

Gotta laugh at Mourhino in the interview. It's all me me me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Januzai won't improve unless he gets a long run of games in the first team. At the moment he's not good enough to start so getting a good loan for him needs to be a priority in the summer. He should have got a loan at Christmas.

But he's worth keeping, he's very young yet and he definitely has the ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Can't be anything but happy with how we played really. Hard to create chances against the way Chelsea set up. McNair was excellent and so composed on the ball. Thought Rooney and Herrera tried hard but couldn't find space for that final ball. Fellaini couldn't get much space between midfield and up front either and Falcao actually played well given he task he had. We lacked a fair bit of width down the right wing which is understandble but Shaw was excellent throughout down the left.

Fairly pathetic I thought to park the bus from the first minute in front of their own fans. Fair enough, they won the title bit what enjoyment is there playing like that when the only excitement is when Hazard is on the ball? Their defence is outstanding, they have some of the best midfielders in the world and they choose to play like that? Each to their own I guess. I'm just glad we don't play like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think McNair played well enough that Evans will be on his way. Evans is 27 I think, and in the last year of his contract this summer. If he's offered a contract extension he will simply get in the way of McNair's development. Hummels will likely be coming in this summer, Evans isnt good enough to challenge him so if there's any games going for the 5th choice centre back, McNair needs to be getting them, not Evans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Young Fellani and Valencia where a disgrace today sell them all I say sell them all.

Can't be anything but happy with how we played really. Hard to create chances against the way Chelsea set up. McNair was excellent and so composed on the ball. Thought Rooney and Herrera tried hard but couldn't find space for that final ball. Fellaini couldn't get much space between midfield and up front either and Falcao actually played well given he task he had. We lacked a fair bit of width down the right wing which is understandble but Shaw was excellent throughout down the left.

Fairly pathetic I thought to park the bus from the first minute in front of their own fans. Fair enough, they won the title bit what enjoyment is there playing like that when the only excitement is when Hazard is on the ball? Their defence is outstanding, they have some of the best midfielders in the world and they choose to play like that? Each to their own I guess. I'm just glad we don't play like that.

Take Hazard out of that team and they struggle. However, Chelsea deserved the title this year. They have been the most consistent since August. Had we and Arsenal got our houses in order earlier in the season we may have been up there.

• Advertisement

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Young Fellani and Valencia where a disgrace today sell them all I say sell them all.

This is a wum surly. Valencia played well, young and Fellani had an off day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Indeed....

Haha. Were you on the beer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Really? Every decision Adnan made today was wrong. He has shown nothing...zip...zero...nada to suggest that there's something there we should be excited about. How long is it now since he scored against Sunderland ? And what has he done since? Touch of the Macheda's about him.

Was are best player under Moyes. Has played sporadically this season, anyone would struggle under those conditions. A good loan would stand him in good stead.

Haha Van Gaal in really bad mood. Seems really pissed off about the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Injuries derailed our winning streak. Not saying the result would be different but a much better chance it would have been.

Dominated possession, but the missing players and Rooney out of place stopped us playing as we have been recently.
    Badly need a top midfielder to replace Carrick, as Rooney is no good in midfield.
    McNair played well as did Shaw.
    Falcao tried hard but it is just not happening for him.

Top 3 still on target, maybe top two. Disappointing to lose but I suppose we now want Chelsea to beat Arsenal, as that tiny minuscule fraction of a percentage point of a chance of the title finally disappeared today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

ElChe32 wrote: »

Nonsense. Can't be arsed getting into another Adnan argument but saying he's done nothing since Sunderland last year is beyond daft considering he's played a handful of games this season.

Apparently if you have a few bad appearances as a kid off he bench you're another Macheda. Right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

edgecutter wrote: »
    This is a wum surly. Valencia played well, young and Fellani had an off day.

Young and Valencia are just very limited players who will do their best. We never ought to be relying on either to turn up and dominate a game if we want to win a title next year. Fellaini is a higher class of limited player, whose all about his physical presence and threat. He's great until he runs into a team that's not bothered by a physical contest *and* can play a bit, like Chelsea.

We need upgrades on all three for next season. Young in particular in his last contract year this summer and I don't see why he should be given an extension to hang about for another 3 or 4 years.

Sand wrote: »
    Young and Valencia are just very limited players who will do their best. We never ought to be relying on either to turn up and dominate a game if we want to win a title next year. Fellaini is a higher class of limited player, whose all about his physical presence and threat. He's great until he runs into a team that's not bothered by a physical contest *and* can play a bit, like Chelsea.

We need upgrades on all three for next season. Young in particular in his last contract year this summer and I don't see why he should be given an extension to hang about for another 3 or 4 years.

I would doubt that any of them will be let go in the summer. There is certainly zero chance of Fellaini being let go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Januzai had a shocker when he came on ,needs a long spell on loan . Chelsea defended very well and Rooney was badly missed upfront . Falcao was poor ,as was Fellaini .Lots of positives though and the future looks bright with the likes of McNair .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement