Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

irishfeen wrote: »
    in one way it's a testament to how far we have come in such a short time that we're all disappointed that we lost to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge 1-0.

Well said. I would have laughed at you 2 months ago even if you told me how good its been the last 7 or 8 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Yesterday was not a bad result all things considered. Chelsea defended as if their lives depended on it. We pretty much ran the show against the top team which is a great achievement when you see where we were a few months back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

KH25 wrote: »
    Yesterday was not a bad result all things considered. Chelsea defended as if their lives depended on it. We pretty much ran the show against the top team which is a great achievement when you see where we were a few months back.

It was a bad result, every game you lose is a bad result. It was a good performance though... although it was very kind of Mourinho to tell his players not to bother playing for most of the game because United would make a mistake just before halftime and they'd be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Watched extended highlights this morning of the game yesterday, as i didnt get to see it yest and I'm not half as pissed off at losing to Chelsea as some might be.
    We matched them all over the field from what I seen, apart from up front, even with Rooney and his Hollywood passes in CM. If we have one of Carrick or Blind fit, we win that game yesterday I think.

McNair looks like he's gonna be a really good player with a bit of luck.

Which brings me to Falcao. Let's call a spade a spade here, we were all delighted when he signed, but he's ****ed. That injury has finished him, at least at the level we need him to be at.
    Hope we don't have to endure watching him playing for United again, and that's from one of his biggest fans. ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Thank god tide is finally against Falcao. The adulation just never matched performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Thank god tidwe is finally against Falcao. The adulation just never matched performances.

It absolutely did match his performances. Easily the best striker in the world prior to his injury. Forgive fans for wanting to give the lad a chance to reach those highs again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Need to send this to the journalists for when they interview Lvg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Need to send this to the journalists for when they interview Lvg

lol - points 5, 6 and 7 especially!

MagicIRL wrote: »
    It absolutely did match his performances. Easily the best striker in the world prior to his injury. Forgive fans for wanting to give the lad a chance to reach those highs again.

Sorry I meant his performances wearing the Manchester United jersey after his injury. He wasnt with us before injuries when he was world class hes here now and hes crap. He had chances and failed miserably repeatedly. Hes not the same player he once was or perhaps like Forlan England doesnt suit him. Either way I wont cry that he wont be at United next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

If we sign Ings, and Burnley stay up; I'd like to see Wilson go on loan there for next season. Possibly Januzaj too.

Or we take Nani back and send Januzaj to Sporting. Either way both need to go somewhere to get more football.

• Advertisement

I think Wilson would do well at Crystal Palace. He's polar opposite to Murray and Bolassie / Zaha will give him pace in behind.

Januzaj just needs game after game playing out wide to improve his decisions. A very talented footballer but he's young and prone to making poor decisions. That'll go with experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Ings has said recently he wants to sign for a club where he will be guaranteed plenty of games (paraphrasing slightly, obviously) i think that would rule out coming to United anyway, especially if we are going to be playing 4-3-3 on a regular basis. He'd get games at Liverpool as Sturridge's main position is on the treatment table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Kirby wrote: »
    Nope. A strong case of the old Pires leg. He kicked Cahill and then threw himself to the ground. Knew exactly what he was doing and the ref was one hundred percent right to book him.

To be honest, I'm amazed it wasn't Young who did it. :p Herrera clearly is a crafty fellow after all.

Thanks. Only saw it from distance in the pub!

I think Wilson would do well at Crystal Palace. He's polar opposite to Murray and Bolassie / Zaha will give him pace in behind.

Januzaj just needs game after game playing out wide to improve his decisions. A very talented footballer but he's young and prone to making poor decisions. That'll go with experience.

Palace also a good shout. But I'm very weary about Pardew next season. He has previous starting off really well at a club, but then going downhill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Ings has said recently he wants to sign for a club where he will be guaranteed plenty of games (paraphrasing slightly, obviously) i think that would rule out coming to United anyway, especially if we are going to be playing 4-3-3 on a regular basis. He'd get games at Liverpool as Sturridge's main position is on the treatment table.

I could be wrong, but I just can't imagine a Burnley player turning down Manchester United for a non-CL team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

only that ings is outnof contract i dont think id want the club to be signing him he has good potential but in my opinion he should stay with burnley for another year especially if they stay up he needs consistancy and to develope a bit more,

If we were going to sign benteke id like to see him coming in he has done it for last 3 years in premiership he had a quiet first half to this season but sherwood turned him around and he would challenge rooney as well as having some potential to improve in the future Plus he is very strong and good at holding up the ball.

jayo26 wrote: »
    only that ings is outnof contract i dont think id want the club to be signing him he has good potential but in my opinion he should stay with burnley for another year especially if they stay up he needs consistancy and to develope a bit more,

If we were going to sign benteke id like to see him coming in he has done it for last 3 years in premiership he had a quiet first half to this season but sherwood turned him around and he would challenge rooney as well as having some potential to improve in the future Plus he is very strong and good at holding up the ball.

Benteke would be a nice addition to the squad, but I have a feeling he'd cost way to much for what is essentially a back-up role. (Though I would prefer to see him come in instead of Ings)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Watched extended highlights this morning of the game yesterday, as i didnt get to see it yest and I'm not half as pissed off at losing to Chelsea as some might be.
    We matched them all over the field from what I seen, apart from up front, even with Rooney and his Hollywood passes in CM. If we have one of Carrick or Blind fit, we win that game yesterday

Stupid thing to say. Could just as easily say if Chelsea had Costa/Remy they'd win by more etc. Ifs and buts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Stupid thing to say. Could just as easily say if Chelsea had Costa/Remy they'd win by more etc. Ifs and buts.
    I think they would have just swapped Drogba for Costa and played exactly the same...

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Benteke would be a nice addition to the squad, but I have a feeling he'd cost way to much for what is essentially a back-up role. (Though I would prefer to see him come in instead of Ings)

I dont think he would be that over priced everyone knows villa are run on a budget and sell to buy and if it turns out that benteke would want to come to united well then that works in our favour, also i dont think he would be just back up, he is still relatively young and id say rooney wont be around for ever but if we signed benteke and he develoed a bit more over the next year or so i think he woud be really challenging rooney for a starting position,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭blackwave

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The Sun says Manchester United are keen on Borussia Dortmund midfielder Ilkay Gundogan, who is entering the last year of his contract and could be looking for a move now boss Jurgen Klopp is leaving.

A few reports saying Manchester United midfielder Angel Di Maria, 27, has told the club he wants to stay and is set to extend the lease on his new family home

The Star says Aston Villa's Christian Benteke has emerged as a possible transfer target for Manchester United this summer with boss Louis van Gaal looking to bolster his attacking options.

Also, the Depay stories continue; the word a little while back was that no move would be finalized until PSV won the title, which they did yesterday, so expect that story to flair up again now.

Gundogan would be a brilliant signing imo, but my biggest concern is how injury prone the chap is. I remember reading ages ago that his back gives him a lot of trouble which he was out injured for ages with.

As for Benteke, I think he would be a good back up striker to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

don't do a Rodgers and look like a fool, what Chelsea did was admirable because they'll win the league from it. Reckon we would have beaten them if it was an open game but Mourinho made sure it wasn't. They played the best football of any team in the league up until Christmas, Mourinho got it wrong in Europe but the league title isn't a half bad fallback.

Regardless of the result we are still looking good, make sure of top 4, focus on getting the right players and Van Gaal's prediction of winning a league has a great chance of coming in next season I feel.

Well, there is a hell of a lot of fools on here isn't there?

Seems like a lot of people are very bitter about that defeat but trying to put a positive spin on it, no respect towards Chelsea or Mourinho, You'd swear Utd were playing total football the way yous are talking, don't forget they were serving up shyte football all season until about 4 games ago, now all of a sudden LVG is the man and Mourinho is a donkey etc etc , calm down lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Seems like a lot of people are very bitter about that defeat but trying to put a positive spin on it, no respect towards Chelsea or Mourinho, You'd swear Utd were playing total football the way yous are talking, don't forget they were serving up shyte football all season until about 4 games ago, now all of a sudden LVG is the man and Mourinho is a donkey etc etc , calm down lads.

Nobody is saying anything like that. Stop talking bollox.
    The post you quoted was paying respect to Mourinho for what he did, strange choice from you.

Jog on.

I guess your a bit high strung due to Liverpool playing Villa. Chill out. Put down the beer.

Palace also a good shout. But I'm very weary about Pardew next season. He has previous starting off really well at a club, but then going downhill.

Yeah, I agree regarding Pardew. Newcastle could be a good shout if they get a quality manager. Wilson up front with Cabella/De Jong behind him could work wonders, as could Villa with the likes of Agbonlahor providing pace for him.

Chap has planty of options in Premier League clubs, and no doubt would excel in Spain or another European country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

PSV directors confirm interest shown from United and PSG for Depay. Said that PSG tried to get him in the winter window, but they turned them down.

PSV directors confirm interest shown from United and PSG for Depay. Said that PSG tried to get him in the winter window, but they turned them down.

spongebob1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/UtdReport/status/589721516063006720

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    I dont think he would be that over priced everyone knows villa are run on a budget and sell to buy and if it turns out that benteke would want to come to united well then that works in our favour, also i dont think he would be just back up, he is still relatively young and id say rooney wont be around for ever but if we signed benteke and he develoed a bit more over the next year or so i think he woud be really challenging rooney for a starting position,

Apparently he signed for Villa for £7million. They'd probably look for £20million+ for him, considering how important he is to the team.

I'd love to have him at Utd, but I'd be wary of paying over 20million considering what his role would be.

Yeah, I agree regarding Pardew. Newcastle could be a good shout if they get a quality manager. Wilson up front with Cabella/De Jong behind him could work wonders, as could Villa with the likes of Agbonlahor providing pace for him.

Chap has planty of options in Premier League clubs, and no doubt would excel in Spain or another European country.

Or what about West Brom if Berahino moves in the Summer?

Like you said, he'll have plenty of options. Just have to make sure it doesn't turn out like Rossi's loan at Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Judging by your username your a Liverpool supporter .

Lol hate that.

Apparently he signed for Villa for £7million. They'd probably look for £20million+ for him, considering how important he is to the team.

I'd love to have him at Utd, but I'd be wary of paying over 20million considering what his role would be.

Well if you compare the prices paid for bony and lukaku maybe 20 or 25 million would be a good deal for him? I think he is better then just a backup player nd im sure that if we qualify for champs league next year he will still play a lot of games,

A few reports saying Manchester United midfielder Angel Di Maria, 27, has told the club he wants to stay and is set to extend the lease on his new family home

It's a terror what the bit of sun and a stretch in the evenings will do. :pac:

Thank god tide is finally against Falcao. The adulation just never matched performances.

Lots of posters are rightfully expressing varying forms of frustration and closure with Falcao, his card is stamped with all but a few by now and he simply has not been good enough to warrant a place in the team, let alone a £40m fee.

You however seem to be on a personal quest against him, definitely going by yesterday's match thread and in here where you more or less copy and pasted the same post between the two threads during the match calling him a donkey, and dismissing those who wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt until season's end as a lesser kind of "fan".

The man scored 41 goals from 48 appearances for Porto, 52 from 67 for Athletico Madrid and 11 from 17 for Monaco. That is the reason why some actually wanted to give him a bit of time at the club before pressing the emergency eject button. We're not all physicians and sports psychologists who can see from the odd game on the television that the 29 year old is definitely crocked, and not just having a slow reintroduction to the game.

He hasn't done nearly enough to warrant signing this Summer, but I'd argue that he has done enough to earn at the least a bit of respect. If not for the player he was up until the injury, maybe for the 4 goals and 4 assists he has bagged for United, and the passion he shows those rare times he has scored while wearing the red.

"Thank god the tide is finally turning against Falcao". Unless you are actually Zlatan Ibrahimovic, the time you are putting into this vandetta is a bit sad, with all due respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pmasterson's obsession with Falcao is 100% creepy imo, have never seen him post on any other topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Positives yesterday were the back four and Herrera who was very good n e middle of the park.
    Negatives Young, Mata and Fellani who were all poor. Feel sorry or Falcao. Just not a patch on the great player he once was. Thought he was fouled in the build up to the goal, but DeGea handled outside the box on another occasion and got away with it.
    On Benteke, he would be an excellent signing and the ideal CF for a 433. We will have enough games for him, Rooney and Wilson next season

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

irishfeen wrote: »

Its happening!!!!

Liverpool about to get knocked out. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Its happening!!!!

Shh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Its happening!!!!

Now why would you say that you know that jinx's it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I'll take full responsibility if Liverpool equalise now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

That's a pretty smalltime post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think that Benteke would be great for the style of play we currently play. Occupies the defenders, has a decent first touch, is a worry in behind and is generally clinical when a chance comes his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Get in. Fecking beautiful.

Well done, Cleverley.

I can't believe anyone over the age of 8 actually believes that something they say in a forum will affect events in a football game miles away, but whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

The point being it's extremely rare for both Carrick and Blind to be unavailable at the same time. One of them being fit releases Rooney to play up front, and strengthens us in midfield as well, which is more of an observation than a stupid thing to say but whatever you reckon....

I can't believe anyone over the age of 8 actually believes that something they say in a forum will affect events in a football game miles away, but whatever.

Someone's clearly forgotten FutureGuy and his magic powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

#rodgersin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Welbeck or Cleverly are going to win one more trophy than us this season :(

Welbeck or Cleverly are going to win one more trophy than us this season :(

Id happily take that trade off to be successful next season, but either one deserves it to be honest,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement