Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It seems weird when most of us wouldn't mind seeing Robin Van Persie and Radamel Falcao leave in the Summer to be replaced by either Danny Ings or Christian Benteke.

It sounds crazy when you read it but I think signing Benteke would make a lot of sense for United if they were interested in him. Big young strong guy who offers something different to Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Anywas boo to yesterday I was 4 games away from quoting this and making Maximus a boards legend :D

So close to my moment in the sun. :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Morning news. Not much new though.

A lot of papers running with the story that Falcao's agent is trying to work a deal to Liverpool.

And the Depay rumours are going into overdrive too. £25 is the figure commonly mentioned.

And a few people running that Klopp wants the United job....ok. Does someone know something we don't :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Lord TSC wrote: »

A lot of papers running with the story that Falcao's agent is trying to work a deal to Liverpool.

And the Depay rumours are going into overdrive too. £25 is the figure commonly mentioned.

And a few people running that Klopp wants the United job....ok. Does someone know something we don't :P

No, that's why they make stuff up for the papers :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lord TSC wrote: »

You forgot Wilson going on loan to Newcastle.

Regarding Falcao,Liverpool have a fairly rigid pay structure so I can't see them giving Falcao mega bucks.They could only afford Rickie Lambert and Mario last season.Now with CL looking very very unlikely are they suddenly going to shell out for another striker who can't score?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

zerks wrote: »
    You forgot Wilson going on loan to Newcastle.

Regarding Falcao,Liverpool have a fairly rigid pay structure so I can't see them giving Falcao mega bucks.They could only afford Rickie Lambert and Mario last season.Now with CL looking very very unlikely are they suddenly going to shell out for another striker who can't score?

If Liverpool sign Falcao rather then getting him loaned then they havent learned there lesson from Balotelli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

£20m for Beneteke, throw in Jan and Wilson on loan. Great deal for both parties :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

plus he always scores against Pool, what's not to like :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Looks like we will find out where Depay is going soon enough, can see it being sorted before the season ends. Hope it is to us, I reckon he is gonna be a special player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Can't see Falcao to Liverpool happening. Heard Juve were sniffing after him seeing as Tevez is heading home in the not so distant future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

To United til he's 25/26 then off to Madrid.

Standard.

To United til he's 25/26 then off to Madrid.

Standard.

If he was Spanish/Portugese then very likely but that's not the case for every player United have. I think dutch players have a soft spot for English football. A lot of the scandinavian and european players woud have English as a second language also so that helps when moving country.

If players are that good that Real want to poach them then we are doing something right.

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Can't see Falcao to Liverpool happening. Heard Juve were sniffing after him seeing as Tevez is heading home in the not so distant future.

Nearly £3 million in wages since his last shot on target:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Don't know if it was posted here over the weekend, but Depay scored a belter of a free kick. Another run of the mill impressive performance from him.

Very much excited about that transfer.

For those maybe who havn't seen much, Ronaldo comparisons are way off the mark. I don't know how people can make those sort of sentences without making themselves vomit.

He is fast, strong dribbler, great balance, relentless shot and is going through that phase of making mature, correct decisions.

If you are into those sort of player comparisons( which even this next sentence will no doubt attract outrage) he is operating at a higher level then Hazard was for Lille before his transfer to Chelsea. Could very much hit the ground running in the PL.

The decision to stay with PSV was absolutely perfect for his development, and I can only think that will further his desire to join United(since VG told him to stay there)

GSPfan wrote: »
    If he was Spanish/Portugese then very likely but that's not the case for every player United have. I think dutch players have a soft spot for English football. A lot of the scandinavian and european players woud have English as a second language also so that helps when moving country.

If players are that good that Real want to poach them then we are doing something right.

A bit of 2+2 but surely if your a dutch player, you would be weary of Real Madrid, seeing Robben, Sneijder and Van Der Vart struggle there to properly cement first team places and become scapegoats for failure.

Columbian press for example are asking questions of the real quality of the PL with Falcao and Cuadrado sitting on benches looking terrible, while James lights up La Liga. The same sort of questions has been asked of La Liga from Dutch quarters.

I posted a vine,here's a better quality gif.Image is huge so I'll just stick up the link.

http://gfycat.com/SeveralWeeHerald

https://twitter.com/Elko_B/status/590064328537206784

I posted a vine,here's a better quality gif.Image is huge so I'll just stick up the link.

http://gfycat.com/SeveralWeeHerald

That's pretty much a perfect free-kick, he made it look so effortless too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I couldn't pick Depay out of a line up and have never seen him play and so I don't really have a clue if he would be a good signing for us or not, but its hard not to hear all the buzz surrounding him and not start to feel like he would be worth a punt.

I also recall previous buzz surrounding the likes of Modric or Strootman, and we've often been left feeling like we missed a trick when they went on to better things. So if we are interested in Depay, better we make the call and go for him now instead of waiting and waiting until its too late.

One thing for sure, I'd far rather take a €25m punt on a prospect like Depay than splash €60m on a Di Maria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

If Falcao had hit his left footed shot 1 degree more to the right, and scored instead of hitting the post....would people be talking about him staying? It's amazing how fine the lines are in football.

Personally Im annoyed he wasnt subbed for RVP with 30 mins to go.

• Advertisement

Who have Real Madrid taken off us really?

Ronaldo - He was quite honest from early on that Real were his boyhood club so that's just tough luck.

Beckham - We were done with him. No loss there really. Yeah he was good but Fergie had enough.

De Gea - It hasn't happened yet but if it does can you really be that surprised. He grew up in Madrid. Apparently his Girlfriend is still there. It's his own country with his own language in a culture and climate he was born into. If he goes I hope we get a sack of money for him and he has a fantastic career.

Ruud VanNistlerooy - it would appear we were happy to sell because of friction between him and Ronaldo.

Gabriel Heinze - Was this a free? We wanted him to go anywhere but Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

If Falcao had hit his left footed shot 1 degree more to the right, and scored instead of hitting the post....would people be talking about him staying? It's amazing how fine the lines are in football.

Even if he had scored that goal it it would be madness to even consider him staying he's coming back from a very bad injury that he might never fully recover from. Monaco wont let him go for cheap and any kind of big money for him isn't worth the gamble at the moment. I hope his form returns to where it was before his injury because he was/is an absolutely fantastic striker but it wont be at United I don't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There are fine lines in football, but that ain't one of them.

Falcao could score 2/3 goals in the last 5 games but that won't change the fact that we didn't need him last summer, he hasn't performed for us, and we still don't need him now.

Yes, if he had scored some people would come in here and say that we should take a chance on him. They would have been wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If he goes I hope we get a sack of money for him and he has a fantastic career.

With one year left on his contract it will probably be more like a handbag of money. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Who have Real Madrid taken off us really?

Ronaldo - He was quite honest from early on that Real were his boyhood club so that's just tough luck.

Beckham - We were done with him. No loss there really. Yeah he was good but Fergie had enough.

De Gea - It hasn't happened yet but if it does can you really be that surprised. He grew up in Madrid. Apparently his Girlfriend is still there. It's his own country with his own language in a culture and climate he was born into. If he goes I hope we get a sack of money for him and he has a fantastic career.

Hes only got a year left on his contract

RM have time to wait for a Free Transfer or pay a few million for him now.

THe Ball is really in RM court. We wont be making big bucks on him

With one year left on his contract it will probably be more like a handbag of money. :(

I'm not sure about this, Real Madrid would want him now as opposed to next year, and a lot can happen in a year. Also United have money we shouldnt be afraid to hold out for a year in fear of losing a fee.

I dont think there would be much difference in the price due to contract status if we were to sell now.

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Hes only got a year left on his contract

RM have time to wait for a Free Transfer or pay a few million for him now.

THe Ball is really in RM court. We wont be making big bucks on him

As long as we make enough money to give to Tottenham for Lloris it will be ok. Whats the price people think we'd get? I'd say 24 million. Pound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Nope. He hasn't done it all season. One goal would not be enough to change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I find LVG subs very odd never seems to make ones your expecting

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »
    I find LVG subs very odd never seems to make ones your expecting

I'm assuming his subs (DiMaria & Januzaj) were in a bid to create more chances, but that required faith in Falcao executing on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

great player, although if Pellegrini stays at Man City I think he will go there to his former manager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

RobertKK wrote: »
    The Spanish newspaper or whatever it is Mundo Deportivo, has compared Depay to being similar to Ronaldo, and will be one of the top players in world football in coming years.

That is what we want.

In terms of style, that's who he reminds me of the most. He gets forward and stays there so much, always sniffing around for a goal, that it doesn't look like he is playing on the wing half the time. And his game is all about speed and power with the dribbling nearly always ending in a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Pro. F wrote: »
    In terms of style, that's who he reminds me of the most. He gets forward and stays there so much, always sniffing around for a goal, that it doesn't look like he is playing on the wing half the time. And his game is all about speed and power with the dribbling nearly always ending in a shot.

I have read that he helps his full back and his work rate is good. Never seen him in a full game for PSV though, just going by what I have heard/read.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I have read that he helps his full back and his work rate is good. Never seen him in a full game for PSV though, just going by what I have heard/read.

101greatgoals is a good site that does sort of weekend highlight reels for all the top leagues. Can be a good source in terms of catching highlights and extended highlights of matches around Europe.

I'm not a big sleeper, so tend to watch a lot of games late night when the misses has gone to bed.

Probably a grey area, but there are a number of networks across Europe and US that not only show the games live, but also contain a catalogue of game VOD's which are the full 90 minutes, as well as roundups and highlight VODs.

Fox NL are the big Erdevise network, that carry all the games and discussions shows and highlight stuff. I don't know if they have changed now, but when I was watching PSV and Strootman, their app had no geo-caching and you could download it to XBMC(now called Kodi) and see highlight reels and VODs of matches. They didn't show the games live like NSBC do for Premier League, but it was a good source for Dutch high quality games.

If you have Sky Sports, there is good Dutch coverage now on Sky Sports 5, including a roundup show every week.

Giggsy11 wrote: »

His workrate is good, but he does spend a lot of his time very far forward and looking for scoring chances ahead of defensive work. The defending at PSV is mad anyway and his full-back, Willems, plays like he's a CM half the time. So can't read too much into Depay's defending in that team.

just on the game Saturday, very impressive stuff. Shaw was excellent as was most of the team, really looking forward to next season now and hopefully we can tie up a top 3 finish soon enough.

bangkok wrote: »
    just on the game Saturday, very impressive stuff. Shaw was excellent as was most of the team, really looking forward to next season now and hopefully we can tie up a top 3 finish soon enough.

'Enjoyable' would be the wrong word for me to use, but that game was definitely the 'least frustrating' defeat I've watched as a United fan for a long time.

I'd definitely like to believe that we'll be title contenders next season.

stankratz wrote: »
    'Enjoyable' would be the wrong word for me to use, but that game was definitely the 'least frustrating' defeat I've watched as a United fan for a long time.

I'd definitely like to believe that we'll be title contenders next season.

we will be without question, a couple of key signings, along with di maria hitting form and we will be challenging next year without doubt.

• Advertisement

we will be without question, a couple of key signings, along with di maria hitting form and we will be challenging next year without doubt.

We're not far off. Definitely, the first team needs a few additions and the squad also. I'd just be hesitant at bringing in 4-5 new first team players after all the good work that has been achieved in the team this season. For one, I don't think the first team needs that many additions, and also it would just set us back to spending another half a season trying to get the team to gel together.

For me, a CB, CM, Depay and a back-up striker would make a good dent in our business for the Summer. Angel Di Maria regaining peak form would be ideal also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We're not far off. Definitely, the first team needs a few additions and the squad also. I'd just be hesitant at bringing in 4-5 new first team players after all the good work that has been achieved in the team this season. For one, I don't think the first team needs that many additions, and also it would just set us back to spending another half a season trying to get the team to gel together.

For me, a CB, CM, Depay and a back-up striker would make a good dent in our business for the Summer. Angel Di Maria regaining peak form would be ideal also.

Ya I agree. 4 good signings would be enough IMO.

Hopefully Nani stays and if few others can gel we could have serious squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

No RB? i think we'll need a new RB as it seems Rafael will be leaving. Val is a very good backup to have though.

one of the papers had the targets being Clyne, Hummels and/or Marquinos, Pogba (HA!) and Depay.

4 top players who will make the difference to the team.

imo a new centre back, new midfielder, winger and striker.

depay looks nailed on, centre back take your pick from Hummels, Otamendi, Laporte, midfield anyones guess from Pogba to Gundogan although I think it will be a creative midfielder and then maybe or maybe not a superstar signing, Bale or Ronaldo

Valencia has been very solid this season in fairness to him. he gets a lot of grief but he has gone in there right back and made the position his own and Rafael/McNair as cover so wouldn't really be looking at that position

one of the papers had the targets being Clyne, Hummels and/or Marquinos, Pogba (HA!) and Depay.

Marquinos has just recently signed a new 5 year contract and said he is very happy in paris so that's a no go

Marquinos has just recently signed a new 5 year contract and said he is very happy in paris so that's a no go

yep, thats what I thought.

CDCANUEVIAAiYUf.jpg

No RB? i think we'll need a new RB as it seems Rafael will be leaving. Val is a very good backup to have though.

You're right Vic, more than likely we'll have to address RB as well. I'm currently a bit split on the position though. The realist in me says that Rafael is done at the club and Tony V shouldn't be 1st choice at RB despite a recent good run of form in the position. So for that, then 'yes', we need a RB. Then I think that if we have those 2 players next season, RB is less of a priority than the other positions over the Summer. It's a classic case of 'head versus heart' I think, so maybe I should go with the brain who is currently laughing at the heart for thinking that Rafeal will be back and that Tony V will maintain this good form at RB indefinitely.

Btw, I'm currently happy with the CM line-up, but Carrick and Blind getting injured at the same time (plus Carra being 34) indicates that we should seek back-up for the position this Summer.

Same as Kew above, I would be hopeful of getting Nani back. Jaysus;- Nani, Depay, Di Maria and Mata in the squad, bring that shít on!!

• Advertisement

Valencia has been very solid this season in fairness to him. he gets a lot of grief but he has gone in there right back and made the position his own and Rafael/McNair as cover so wouldn't really be looking at that position

Valencia has been far from very solid imo. Boring to watch maybe, but not solid. He is still very poor at crossing and even though he's improved his defending, he's still only okay, at best, at it.

Unfortunately I suspect that Van Gaal likes Valencia a lot and will keep him first choice next season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement